• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Reflection Steam storescreens at 720p, hilarity ensues [Supports 4K, 144FPS]

Must have been in a contract somewhere that the game will only be funded if they do a PC version, but they'd rather not have to support PC users, so intentionally make an inferior version.

Eusis

To add onto this - the last Warriors/Musou game to get an 'overwhelmingly negative' review was in 2009, and that was the 360 version of Orochi 2.

Also, the highest rated Musou games all released within about a year of each other. Hyrule isn't some magical special miracle. -
Hell, if you want to be cynical still but more realistic, a lot of people have paid more attention to Musou games, myself included, partially thanks to games like Hyrule Warriors coming out. And I believe Nintendo's actually been pretty good on the review front generally, though I think there was an incident with Donkey Konga 2 years ago at GameSpy... but that could be an Editor just being an idiot.
Must have been in a contract somewhere that the game will only be funded if they do a PC version, but they'd rather not have to support PC users, so intentionally make an inferior version.
If this was an outlier it MIGHT be plausible, but it keeps happening. It's probably a gross misunderstanding of the audience (or probably more accurately the potential for the platform relative to the audiences it serves) and if you're lucky the people who are in charge of porting MIGHT know better and actually deliver a quality product. But usually they don't.

Mephala

What do you base this off? It makes no sense to me whatsoever. This will only hurt themselves and maybe even relationship with people who funds them.

Battlechili

Banned
The worst part is is that I'm still tempted to buy this x_x
I own Atelier Sophie already anyways and I was happy with it overall.

I'll probably just buy it and then give it a negative review as my complaint to KT. Already sent in a support ticket.

I imagine if Atlus ever decided to port a game to PC (or was forced to against its will), it'd do something like this. Sabotage it by porting the PS3 version of P5 rather than the PS4 version for example, with no graphics settings, or something. Just to stick it to their fans that dared to want anything other than the "console experience."

This seems unlikely. Atlus was quick to embrace the potential of portables after the PS2 gen. And they are pretty much the only remaining holdout in the niche localisers group when it comes to PC ports which demonstrates they aren't being forced. If Atlus decided to do PC releases and they sucked its more likely to be due to unfamiliarity than malice.

Ohtsam

Banned
This seems unlikely. Atlus was quick to embrace the potential of portables after the PS2 gen. And they are pretty much the only remaining holdout in the niche localisers group when it comes to PC ports which demonstrates they aren't being forced. If Atlus decided to do PC releases and they sucked its more likely to be due to unfamiliarity than malice.

Atlus is also part of Sega now who has experienced PC programmers who would at least make the port passable.

I imagine if Atlus ever decided to port a game to PC (or was forced to against its will), it'd do something like this. Sabotage it by porting the PS3 version of P5 rather than the PS4 version for example, with no graphics settings, or something. Just to stick it to their fans that dared to want anything other than the "console experience."

Atlus is also part of Sega now who has experienced PC programmers who would at least make the port passable.

I think uh, the biggest factor here is that...

The only PS4 Version enhancement I can think of is being 1080p.

So the only way they'd make a PC port worse than the PS4 version is a 720p lock.

I think uh, the biggest factor here is that...

The only PS4 Version enhancement I can think of is being 1080p.

So the only way they'd make a PC port worse than the PS4 version is a 720p lock.

But why would the PS4 version need to be superior in the first place ? That'd be like nobbling a PS4 game so the Switch could have better FPS.

L.O.R.D

someone posted this in steam review of the game, you can edit the config file to add 1080p manually

BRsetting.ini located in C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\KoeiTecmo\BLUE REFLECTION

NtAnbHg.png

also, the FPS us capped at monitor refresh rate, so it can reaches to 144 FPS.

Ascheroth

someone posted this in steam review of the game, you can edit the config file to add 1080p manually

NtAnbHg.png

It was never about the actual resolution, but the resolution of the 2D assets.
Thread title is very misleading.

prudislav

@ezodagrom good from what people said on forums say it looks pretty much the same as PS4 version with same messy shadows that are on PS4 , also push it to 4K and is overall better port than Ateliers
.... so i guess the support ticket was just messy PR or baddly transalted support

But WTF with the prices of Season pass :-O

PC:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....466/E656C65FFCAECF4EE890B62D5A89FE0625DB83CE/

PS4 (from a youtube video):
https://i.imgur.com/z0ivkQY.jpg

Steam compression vs youtube compression, there's some very noticeable artifacts in the PC screenshot's UI elements (for example, the blue gear), but I have no idea if it's due to steam's compression or not.
I can assure you that Steam compression become a non-issue long time ago. If there is any artifact, that's game fault, not Steam

kulapik

So it was something kinda blown out of proportion by a bad translation? I mean, it's still kinda bad, but it's not as terrible as it might have made seen

I can assure you that Steam compression become a non-issue long time ago. If there is any artifact, that's game fault, not Steam

I can assure you JPEGs will always have compression artifacts no matter what you think...

PC:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....466/E656C65FFCAECF4EE890B62D5A89FE0625DB83CE/

PS4 (from a youtube video):
https://i.imgur.com/z0ivkQY.jpg

Steam compression vs youtube compression, there's some very noticeable artifacts in the PC screenshot's UI elements (for example, the blue gear), but I have no idea if it's due to steam's compression or not.

Look at the shirt collar, it looks more textured in the PC screenshot. It's just compression artifacts...

itsfuckingnothing.gif

I can assure you JPEGs will always have compression artifacts no matter what you think...

Look at the shirt collar, it looks more textured in the PC screenshot. It's just compression artifacts...

itsfuckingnothing.gif
It's good to have expert like you here, while 99% people can't see difference.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

BRsetting.ini located in C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\KoeiTecmo\BLUE REFLECTION

NtAnbHg.png

What!? I have to edit a friggin config file to change resolutions!?

ezodagrom

I captured some screenshots from Youtube for comparison, i except much worse than this, at least game is not Firis level of bad as graphic. But i wonder about performance.
That youtube video from the PC version doesn't look good at all, shots posted in the community hub are not blurry like that.
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....500/F427213ED56F95BED76D2E00D7E848D1EBD88EBF/

Performance wise, reportedly it has framerate drops at 4K with a GTX 1070.
It's not great but it isn't awful either, seems pretty average by KT standards.

Durante

That youtube video from the PC version doesn't look good at all, shots posted in the community hub are not blurry like that.

Performance wise, reportedly it has framerate drops at 4K with a GTX 1070.
It's not great but it isn't awful either, seems pretty average by KT standards.
Drops below 60 or below 30? Actually, what is it running on on PS4 res/framerate wise?

Yes, it is lossy, but no, artifacts won't be visible with highest quality setting.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=58594073&postcount=123

Steam doesn't save/upload at max quality though.

Sure, except, https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/21204/why-do-jpeg-files-blur-red-more-than-other-colors

JPEGs are best suited for continuous tone images like photographs or natural artwork; not so well on sharp-edged or flat-color art like lettering, simple cartoons, or line drawings

which is why it's probably fine for in-game screenshots, but the game's menus are basically the worst case scenario for JPEG...

I captured some screenshots from Youtube for comparison, i except much worse than this, at least game is not Firis level of bad as graphic. But i wonder about performance.

PC

PS4

Ok, I see the differences but they're pretty minor. It's pretty much the same level of graphics overall.

I guess it was just abad PR response, after all.

Sini

Sure, except, https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/21204/why-do-jpeg-files-blur-red-more-than-other-colors

which is why it's probably fine for in-game screenshots, but the game's menus are basically the worst case scenario for JPEG...
That's not full quality jpeg file there, at max quality any artifacts will be near invisible at 100% zoom regardless of content.
Here, a similar example I found when googling for higher quality one: image

The thread you linked is not talking about max quality jpeg's because it defeats the purpose in areas they would use this format.

Gbraga

Users screenshots on Steam looks fine btw

346A4D5FB6F5A0AABD411E21B72A67D594B15AD4

9CD226B8E2AFFABF3E12428D1AAD7C0CF1E47F79

Wow, this look amazing!

I don't know much about this game, how is the gameplay? Looks like a mix of daily life and idol mahou shoujo stuff? Not a fan of the latter, but I'd tolerate it if the daily life part is good.

DNI_R

Neo Member
That's sad, i was seriously considering to buy this. Well at least i am happy that i went with Danganronpa V3 then, even if it was really expensive.

Top Bottom