• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Reflection Steam storescreens at 720p, hilarity ensues [Supports 4K, 144FPS]

Eusis

They must be aiming for middle of the road iGPU laptops to run their games, acting as if gaming PCs are unicorns and real power users are on consoles. Only way this makes any sort of sense.

(I actually do think they have this weird notion of PC being a casual entry point for people who don't want to buy consoles too, not realizing you can make them absolute beasts.)

Really low effort.

2/10
For Koei Tecmo game fans it can be a somber truth rather than a troll.

redlemon

I actually do think they have this weird notion of PC being a casual entry point for people who don't want to buy consoles too, not realizing you can make them absolute beasts.

You're joking about this but that's not an unreasonable assumption depending on where their selling. I had access to a PC for years before I owned a console because my sisters needed a PC for college.

chrono01

Koei Tecmo -

"Therefore, if you play in the environment where the resolution is larger than 1280*720, the images are shown as stretched. We hope you will accept this."

Me -

tease.gif

FStubbs

They must be aiming for middle of the road iGPU laptops to run their games, acting as if gaming PCs are unicorns and real power users are on consoles. Only way this makes any sort of sense.

(I actually do think they have this weird notion of PC being a casual entry point for people who don't want to buy consoles too, not realizing you can make them absolute beasts.)

For Koei Tecmo game fans it can be a somber truth rather than a troll.

Given we're talking about Japan, maybe that's actually true there.

Ascheroth

You're joking about this but that's not an unreasonable assumption depending on where their selling. I had access to a PC for years before I owned a console because my sisters needed a PC for college.
That is why there is something like quality settings in PC games.
Put the 720p assets in if you really want to. ALONGSIDE the high quality stuff.

Eusis

Yeah, "actually think" meant I wasn't really joking, though perhaps "weird" wasn't the word to use in that context. Rather, what is weird is acting as if this "I'll play it on this because it's what I have" is the only target that matters while higher end users are irrelevant, and acting as if scaling graphical options aren't there to accommodate both low and high end users.
Given PC Gaming's state there? Yeah, I've had the thought for awhile for that reason, along with the fact we've seen it here too at times though that's largely gone (remember that well liked Spider Man 2 PS2/Xbox/GC game? They put out an entirely different, worse, lower end game on PC that was simpler and for kids instead of just porting the damn thing. The same type of assumption has to be at the core there.)

The decision to stop buying KT ports really was a good one. At this point I don't even try to understand how or why they keep doing it, I already accepted that they'll keep doing stupid shit.

ezodagrom

It's more likely that they can't even get the game to run on PC at PS4 quality than them targetting iGPU. :>

Atelier Firis, with its lower resolution 2D assets, downgraded lighting, missing ambient occlusion and shadows issues, struggles to run at 40~fps at 4K on a GTX 1080.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/527290/discussions/0/1458455461477255061/#c1458455461498094894

Unstable

Given how small the PC enthusiast market is in Japan, I doubt any thought of a PC port would be entertained without factoring in the viability of western markets, first.

Which makes this situation even more puzzling.

Momentary

Banned
But you can include both 720p and 1080p assets... And just have an option to choose between the two. That's how graphical settings work.

But to tell you the truth, half the graphical options in Koei Tecmo games do nothing and/or actually cause lower performance without actually having anything to show for that lower performance. This is especially prevelant in Omega Force assembly line games.

Momentary

Banned
And people wonder why I argue that review bombing is an important tool.

Koei Tecmo Fans on STEAM will review bomb back with positives and thumbs down actual performance reviews of games along with insulting and threatening said reviewers. They will call you ungrateful and entitled as well. At least they have a pretty loyal fanbase.

prudislav

OK ... went to check some gameplays to find where all the 2D Assets they were talking about are and didnt really found them ... Conversations are pretty much 3D cutsenes with occasional click , and battle UI and stuff is basically just UI boxes on top of 3D background of the game :-/

me confused .. what the hell they mean by 2D assets?

mrlion

We hope you will accept this? Did they seriously think PC gamers were going to say "oh yeah we accept don't worry..."?

ezodagrom

OK ... went to check some gameplays to find where all the 2D Assets they were talking about are and didnt really found them ... Conversations are pretty much 3D cutsenes with occasional click , and battle UI and stuff is basically just UI boxes on top of 3D background of the game :-/

me confused
Textures are 2D assets as well, I guess?

Ah never mind.

Still though, how the heck is porting assets from a Vita easier than the PS4? KT is fucked up.

I still don't know if the Vita is using 720p assets; the screen is 544p. It would be a lot more strain on the processor depending on what the "assets" are just to supersample the graphics.

This whole decision still doesn't make sense as described. They had to go out of their way somewhere to make these 720p assets, unless like I wondered earlier the assets were always 720p and they did something specific within the PS4 to upscale the assets.

Tarrin

Why though?

You have a 1080p version for PS4. Why not bring that over?

Are they actually porting the Vita version!?

BiggNife

I'm so bummed KT doesn't give a shit about PC

I still can't believe DOA5 Last Round is a port of the PS3 version instead of the PS4 version

Like are you fucking kidding

1st page had something along the lines of "lol pc gaming" which seemed to rattle a particular user.

True but, I mean specifically someone naming the PS4.

Why though?

You have a 1080p version for PS4. Why not bring that over?

Are they actually porting the Vita version!?

One of the One Piece games was the Vita version or worse than the Vita version actually.

Forget which one it was though.

Ascheroth

True but, I mean specifically someone naming the PS4.

One of the One Piece games was the Vita version or worse than the Vita version actually.

Forget which one it was though.
No that game has all the assets including PS4.
The graphic options are just broken so no matter what you choose, it will always be Vita level.

snap

Banned
They didn't lock the resolution, they just did not include FHD 2D assets. (Well, actually I don't know. It's KT, so a 1080p lock isn't off the table.)

"We have used the 720p assets for the PC port and have also locked the game's resolution to 1080p. This does not mean it maxes out at 1080p, it means it will only let you choose 1080p. If your monitor is a lower resolution the game will be cropped. We hope you will accept this."

elyetis

And people wonder why I argue that review bombing is an important tool.
I'm considering keeping 60€ in my steam wallet just so I always have the money at hand post a review of K-T newest release then get a refound and repeat the process for their next release.

BiggNife

Someone in a position of authority at K-T Japan is actively and tirelessly working to sabotage their PC releases.

Doesn't sound plausible? Well, it still seems more viable than any other scenario I can come up with.

Honest question: Would you be willing to work with KT if they offered, or are you just so turned off by their releases that you wouldn't be interested?

I totally expected K-T to fuck up another PC port and they didn't disappoint me. I'm already getting the game for the PS4 since I was burned one too many times by K-T's ports.

It sucks being a GUST fan with a PC and not being able to experience their games at a super high resolution/framerate with all the bells and whistle their art and character models deserve.

I don't understand... like at all.

What possible logic could they be using here?

I mean, there's got to be some reason for this right?

Durante

Honest question: Would you be willing to work with KT if they offered, or are you just so turned off by their releases that you wouldn't be interested?
Sure I would (provided I have the authority not to be actively hindered), I'm not one to stand in the way of a better PC port.

Rosa Lilium

Neo Member
It does sound a fair bit more attractive to me to exclusively game on console rather than constantly spending an exorbitant amount of energy worrying about whether your platform's version of the game is the absolute best.

Ironically, I have a feeling that this game is going to do significantly better than previous Koei-Tecmo/Gust ports, if for the simple reason that they're finally supporting Chinese.

Top Bottom