• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bluehole in talks with Sony about bringing PUBG to PS4 after XB1 launch

sense

Do people think Bluehole was not going to release a PS4 port until Epic released fortnite BR? If they weren't releasing a PS4 port of the game, why would the PS4 port of fortnite impact their decision. I'm not following the logic.

The game is a 10+ million seller on PC already and it hasn't launched. MS isn't investing enough money to keep this game off Sony's platform.
The point is that it could have pushed them to have these discussions and fast track the PS4 release.

Still don’t expect it for a year.

Getting the retail release out on Xbox/PC will probably take till April. Along with post-launch support across those two platforms will probably mean a skeleton team putting it together the PS4 version maybe bump up the team around July for an October full release?

Lol at the Switch version. Are people going to start turning up in the Star Citizen thread wondering about a switch version too.

Wonder if Amazon or Google have something in the works console wise. Maybe the quote is referring to the atari, ha.

Anyway can't wait for this to hit console.

Console wars is making everyone not think clearly.

Is the reason CS:GO has a small community here to do with console wars? Big MP games don't tend to have big communities on GAF.

It's a whole new game type and some aren't going to care for it (I know it does nothing for me personally) but to reduce it to console wars is just acting childish.

BigEmil

There is zero proof that that made up Monster Hunter rumor by a salty nintendo fanboy doing damage control is true. But hey if you want to believe in reptilians and a flat earth, who am I to stop you.
So rumor = true until proven otherwise, LOL.

Then I guess I should just say that MS paid Ubisoft to keep Assassins Creed Origins off of Switch cause you know, we have nothing else to go by. Why would it not be on switch, clearly because of MS and not hardware limitations or anything right?

The source of the rumor had wrong info in there and it was hearsay from a friend of his. Sony would never go for an exclusivity deal that prevents a game from coming out on one console, but is launching on a rival console platform simulataneously. That is enough proof and logic needed to debunk the rumor.

If it was just coming out on pc a the same time, that'd be a different story. But Xbox as well. Yeah, no exclusivity deal.

Exactly the only ones who still believe that load of crap are just fanboys to justify it not being Nintendo exclusive anymore and want to blame Sony

Of course this was coming to PS4, bonkers to think it wouldn't. When it hits PS4 though..... who knows, next year at some point for sure. Just hurry up with the Xbox version! :)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
that's...pretty obvious if MS had not locked it down as a console exclusive. i thought they did though. that would have been a really great get for them, not that just having it first isnt a good momentum booster

Blam

Why does everyone think Fortnite has Plunkbat Corp shook. They have 1.3-5 million users daily on one platform. That will most likely grow to 2 million by the end of this year. PUBG is on one platform. Fortnite had 1million+ across 3 platforms. Where exactly did they get shook?

Regardless it was never gonna be a Xbox exclusives. Also these talks will most definitely include Crossplay since PUBG said that he'd want it on the Xbox version as well.

Now this means that after the possible year exclusivity they might bring it over. But if Sony denies it because of crossplay I'm going to be shocked.

Venfayth

Very early on in PUBG's life I recall hearing that they were working on console versions for Xbox AND PS4. All that talk got stifled when exclusivity for Xbox started coming up, but I'm not really surprised by this news.

Of course it is nice to wants things. But at this moment anything is possible. We'll see what ends up happening. I still say that Microsoft should have forked the money out to make PUBG a PC and Xbox exclusive.

From a business perspective, they probably should have. Then again, from a business prospective it would have been dumb of Bluehole to take that money.

The point is that it could have pushed them to have these discussions and fast track the PS4 release.

Yep. Quite honestly, without Fortnite bringing true Battle Royale to consoles first, PUBG would've taken their sweet time selling the game to XBOX owners and being hush hush about the exclusivity.

With Fortnite literally crashing PUBG's launch party, the game has changed and things are now accelerated to complete an early access working product for consoles. PUBG does not have the manpower or expertise to properly support multiple hardware right now, something that Epic can do with greater ease.

Rymuth

How big will this be for Sony?

It will most likely do well but the more affected party here is MS. This is supposed to be an answer to the question "Oh hey, why don't you buy the most expensive console on the market this holiday? You know you can't play PUBG anywhere else."

Which is true...from a certain point of view.

Boke1879

But like many here have said. The game was never going to be a straight up exclusive. That wording was never present.

They entered a partnership with MS to help the game come out faster. The game was still shipping console first one Xbox. After that it was obvious they'd be able to do whatever they wanted.

mnemonicj

Lol, it's that Fortnite pressure.
This game should've released on PS4 already (in whatever state it's in), so make it happen.

farisr

There is such a disconnect between how successful PUBG has been and how it is perceived on GAF.
Well one, it's a PC only game right now and GAF in general is more console centric, and GAF is very hit or miss with online/multiplayer centric games.

If you were using GAF as a judgement of how a game is doing in the general market, you'd think ghost recon wildlands flopped saleswise when the reality is it's the best selling game of 2017 so far according to NPD.
Console wars is making everyone not think clearly.
See above.

Holy crap this fucking thread.

I swear if they announced that the PS4 version is out RIGHT NOW people would think they knocked out the console version overnight after being terrified of Fortnite.

A game that sold 12 million in a year or so and consistently puts up "over a million people a day playing" numbers is shitting its pants because a F2P game had decent numbers one day.

I think in these people's minds Bluehole is desperately looking to sell the IP before Fortnite makes it obsolete.

Griss

As a console-only gamer, it has been weird seeing this explode into the biggest game of the year and not being able to play it. As I don't watch streamers I'm still not even sure what it is. When people say things like "It was a Day-Z inspired Arma mod fork by a fan who got a South Korean publisher but it's its own game now" I'm like - 'The fuck? What does any of this even mean?'

I don't understand that modding / spin-off scene in the slightest. (Which is probably why what I wrote above is no doubt 100% gibberish.) So it'll be cool if it comes to PS4 and I can see why so many people love it.

There is such a disconnect between how successful PUBG has been and how it is perceived on GAF.

Yeah, Gaf obviously has a bunch of people like me, lol.

Par Score

I swear if they announced that the PS4 version is out RIGHT NOW people would think they knocked out the console version overnight after being terrified of Fortnite.

A game that sold 12 million in a year or so that consistently puts up over a million people a day numbers is shitting its pants because a F2P game had decent numbers one day.

Basically.

I'd think the people pushing the Fortnite BS were joking if there wasn't so many of them.

DR2K

Banned
I guess the release of Fortnite taking a huge chunk of PS4 gamers got them on the boat earlier.

Kinyou

Deeke[VRZ];250409738 said:
Good luck. It's gonna take some time. Unless Tencent invests some serious money into the game, it'll take a while before the new PUBG Corp spinoff subsidiary is able to generate tons of revenue to fill out their team.

Or Sony could invest a ton of money, resources, and manpower into the port like Microsoft did...but I don't see Sony caring as much as Microsoft.
I assumed that this was the big reason why it's coming to Xbox first.

People act as if MS just bribed Bluehole into exclusivity

A game that sold 12 million in a year or so that consistently puts up over a million people a day numbers is shitting its pants because a F2P game had decent numbers one day.

Well, Fortnite beat them to the punch in terms of releasing a Battle Royale mode on console, which is a platform that they probably weren't thinking about when they released the game initially.

The game was announced for Xbox a couple months back, but there was very little, if any, info about it coming to PS4. Epic decided to make its own BR mode and attach it to a property that had just arrived on those platforms. The end result is a foothold on both Xbox and PS4 that Bluehole has yet to attain. So yeah, you could say that it's just some dumb F2P game if you just want to brush it aside, but the fact is that FNBR is out and you can play it. PUBG is not. And while they may not have been "scared" by FNBR into saying that PUBG will be arriving on PS4, it probably did push them to come clean about the matter.

thelastword

Banned
But all these friends of people here that are buying a XB1X just for this game.
Eh...I still think this game won't be the smash hit on consoles as people think, but yes, there's been lots of hyperbole on it's imminent release there....

Incoming MS permanent exclusivity purchase.

It's weird that when posts like this are made in relation to PS4, certain members of gaf lose their fucking minds about it but don't seem to be batting an eyelid here.
No doubt, but I remember something similar happened to a title which would eventually go to PS systems, MS ensured it did not...

However, PUBG is a different type of game/beast on PC, so I don't think it can be warded in as much....At this point, Bluehole probably wants to show this game on XBONEX instead of XB1. I imagine they're probably having a tough time with the GPU and CPU on XB1, so what perf and rez are we going to get on there, is really something that could impact this release for them and which they're wary of. On the flip, XBONEX which will no doubt have the best looking version won't have the installbase to push it.

Overall, a lower installbase on the XB1, with what will be the worse looking and performing console version is going to be somewhat of a pickle this holiday. Gamers are already falling in love with Fortnite on PS4 and word of mouth is good, so I think Bluehole is kinda rueing it's decision a bit on the timed exclusivity.

Eh, the ups and downs of business decisions I guess....

Lol at the Switch version. Are people going to start turning up in the Star Citizen thread wondering about a switch version too.

Wonder if Amazon or Google have something in the works console wise. Maybe the quote is referring to the atari, ha.

Anyway can't wait for this to hit console.

LMFAO PC's cant run Star Citizen game properly let alone a switch version.

Sizzel

I feel like they know PUBG is a goldmine and it will be silly to not put this literally everywhere they possibly can. I hear (not that there isn;t) zero talk about Fortnite.

Whether or not one thinks this game is a big deal.. it is the hype game of 2017. Normies are gaming for this. Strike while the iron is hot.

DieH@rd

Banned
Interesting that they mention having talks with ALL THE MAJOR CONSOLE COMPANIES, but only name PlayStation right now

Switch version could be coming too?

Don't count on that. Game is resource hog. Base PS4 and Xbone will not have a good time with it anyway.

It will most likely do well but the more affected party here is MS. This is supposed to be an answer to the question "Oh hey, why don't you buy the most expensive console on the market this holiday? You know you can't play PUBG anywhere else."

Which is true...from a certain point of view.

I thought the early access version didn't have XOX support. I definitely read that at some point. Maybe that's why they sent in the MS ninjas.

I am reminded about how fucked up Rise of the Tomb Raider was and that time Square had to come out and confirmed the existence of a PS4 version and the duration of their exclusivity a month before the XB1 version launched.

In these situations we all know its coming but traditionally you only confirm it the following E3 or something. I wonder what numbers need to go where on what spreadsheet to hit this particular panic button.

Like.. I dont think their deal with Xbox is going to be any shorter or anything. This wont speed the process up.

Nev

Banned
Switch version could be coming too?

Hahahahaha.

The game has performance issues on 1050ti - 1060 PCs and you expect to see it running on a machine that has to remove 30 fps to make a downgraded DOOM playable.

It'll run at med-900p 25-30fps or unlocked 40-25 on PS4 and that'll be the best outcome for consoles.

I sincerely wonder what kind of alternative world some Nintendo fans seem to live in.

I can see Microsoft pulling a Sony (ala Monster Hunter) and saying that PUBG is not allowed to be on PlayStation for a long time but would be ok with a Switch version of the game, especially since they allow cross-platform play between them.
But MH is multiplatform and the Switch is missing it because the game's been in development for 4 years when they've had dev kits for 1. That rumor is as stupid as the people who believe it.

Top Bottom