• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[BMC Psychology] Celebrity worship and cognitive skills revisited: applying Cattell’s two-factor theory of intelligence in a cross-sectional study

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Abstract​

Background​

Almost two decades of research produced mixed findings on the relationship between celebrity worship and cognitive skills. Several studies demonstrated that cognitive performance slightly decreases with higher levels of celebrity worship, while other studies found no association between these constructs. This study has two aims: (1) to extend previous research on the association between celebrity worship and cognitive skills by applying the two-factor theory of intelligence by Cattell on a relatively large sample of Hungarian adults, and (2) to investigate the explanatory power of celebrity worship and other relevant variables in cognitive performance.

Methods​

A cross-sectional study design was used. Applying an online survey, a total of 1763 Hungarian adults (66.42% male, Mage = 37.22 years, SD = 11.38) completed two intelligence subtests designed to measure ability in vocabulary (Vocabulary Test) and digit symbol (Short Digit Symbol Test). Participants also completed the Celebrity Attitude Scale and the Rosenberg Self-esteem Scale. Subjective material wealth, current family income and general sociodemographics were also reported by participants.

Results​

Linear regression models indicated that celebrity worship was associated with lower performance on the cognitive tests even after controlling for demographic variables, material wealth and self-esteem, although the explanatory power was limited.

Conclusions​

These findings suggest that there is a direct association between celebrity worship and poorer performance on the cognitive tests that cannot be accounted for by demographic and socioeconomic factors.

More info at the link

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Scientific proof that watching the Kardashians makes you a dumb dumb?
Finally vindication
We Did It Yes GIF

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
People worshipping others probably had some evolutionary purpose. The dummies letting the smart or charismatic ones being the head of the tribe.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I can only speak for myself, but I did notice once a lot of cognitive dissonance matrix walls were broken, 'celebrity worship' or rather mainly 'being starstruck' ceased to exist to me. Even after working my first film sets, I just saw them as people. A lot of spoiled child like annoying types, and a lot of to themselves types, ... in short, we all shit, and it smells.

Humans are not much different than ants, bees, packs and prides. Lots of pride, though. Lots.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Of course there is a connection, being able to think critically should allow you to evaluate that celebrities are not worth any effort. Are you able to be more intelligent than a pre-teen girl, if not then you are an idiot.

Humans are not much different than ants, bees, packs and prides. Lots of pride, though. Lots.

Meme Reaction GIF

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Scientific proof that watching the Kardashians makes you a dumb dumb?

Spending any significant amount of time during which you are not sharpening your mental skills, learning something, creating something etc, leads to brain atrophy. This also includes playing video games which only stimulate some parts of the brain.

Top Bottom