• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychology Today: less intelligence = more religious. GAF prepares Fedoras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lautaro

I think America is a special place, they need to categorise everyone. Apparently not belonging to a particular group is all it takes to make you a member of a group.

edit: And your first sentence is a bit... nonsensical.

I was making fun of a typo...

Log4Girlz

I think atheists tend to be more open minded in general. All organized religion must be dictated to the believer. Without a bible or koran or other holy book, those religions wouldn't exist and would never be independently discovered using rational thought, the way that most people we attribute as being atheist arrive at their lack of belief.

Not really, and ad hominem attacks against atheists on the basis of "fedoras" -- or against members of any faith group based on cariactures of how they dress -- have no place in the public discourse. (And I'm saying that as a church-going believer.)

I think it's more a joke about the sort of person that has their ego appeased by a study like this.

I think atheists tend to be more open minded in general. All organized religion must be dictated to the believer. Without a bible or koran or other holy book, those religions wouldn't exist and would never be independently discovered using rational thought, the way that most people we attribute as being atheist arrive at their lack of belief.

I guess so. I think it would have been pretty different before these things were written down or codified through literal language, though. Like the mystics and temporal lobe epileptics and stuff that created these religious systems in the first place, it seems like they would have had to have been passed down on the basis some kind of reproducible phenomenon. For example, praying (using more lateralized left-brain/language structures) and cultivating a 'sensed presence' (like how some Catholics say if someone wants to believe God but lacks faith, you fake it or imagine it until it unfolds in real faith) this sort of thing often results in a feeling of safety or even elation by the way of activating the left amygdala. It's like there's a solid method for some kind of 'spiritual practice' of some kind, but then people create stories and mythologies around them and then once they're put to paper they become authoritative and more a cultural phenomenon or something.

zQlDBkU.png
oh shit.

Moofers

Wow, nice straw man. The conversation in here is interesting and respectful, interestingly you're literally doing what you're rallying against, insinuating that those who don't accept claims on faith need to open up.

On a personal note, I'd be interested in hearing what made you go from an atheist to a Christian?

Is it really irony though?

People have a choice in beliefs, not in race. I don't see the similarity.

This correlation has been known for awhile.

Duh: The Study

Athiest and Proud. It's a heroic AND brave stance I have taken.

Wait . . . people that don't believe in fanciful things that are not supported by hard evidence for are often more intelligent?

No way?!?! How is that possible?

Sad but true.

Not surprising.

Makes sense, as someone who is more intelligent is probably more willing to expose themselves to alternate views and look for something more substantial in nature to describe the world.

I guess I might be overly sensitive then? I can stand down.

As for what converted me, that'd take a while to explain. I've thought about how I ended up here a lot. Maybe I'll make a new thread later this week. It'd take a while to type up everything I'd want to say about it.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
The connection between fedoras and atheists is new to me. Is it supposed to mean the worst atheists are fat dudes wearing fedoras who hate on religion?

jaxword

Is it really irony though?

Yes, if you're going someone and judging people and saying "Don't judge others!!!"

I suppose "hypocrisy" would be a better term, if you'd prefer?

The connection between fedoras and atheists is new to me. Is it supposed to mean the worst atheists are fat dudes wearing fedoras who hate on religion?

Yeah, gaffers and goons and redditors who are outspoken loudmouths probably ARE outspoken loudmouths because they have no real social skills in real life. So they inevitably dress and act really awkward in real life and turn to the internet as a replacement for socializing.

In real life, most people learn fast that if you rant about politics and religion, you'll just drive people away, because those are topics that divide people.

So if you're never really told how to dress and act and talk in a more attractive way, you'll just surround yourself with like-minded people.

I guess I might be overly sensitive then? I can stand down.

As for what converted me, that'd take a while to explain. I've thought about how I ended up here a lot. Maybe I'll make a new thread later this week. It'd take a while to type up everything I'd want to say about it.

Well . . . would you like to address my sentiment?

Wait . . . people that don't believe in fanciful things that are not supported by hard evidence for are often more intelligent?

Do you think people who believe in other religions are correct? If not, why not? How is yours any more real than theirs?

Foaloal

I don't have much to say here, I don't really think there's much to discuss, but I see a lot of people claiming "I'm dumb and non religious, this isn't true".

Maybe somebody already touched on this, but it seems some people are misunderstanding the concept of an average.

This study in no way says that religious people can't be extremely intelligent, or that non religious people can't be extremely stupid.

All this says is that, on average, people who believe in organized religion have a somewhat lower IQ than those who don't for reasons that can't be immediately discerned.

Also I'm surprised this fedora stuff flies here. I don't know the history of this meme but it seems counter productive to stereotype a group, especially when the only thing they have in common is not having something in common (a common religious belief).

Believe it or not, there are people who wants to be an atheist because it is cool. No offense meant.

I don't doubt some reddit people jump on the fedora bandwagon because they think it's cool, but I seriously doubt they'd do so if they believed in any god.

I'm curious, has there ever been any study linking personality types to atheism?
Because atheists share just one thing in common with each other by definition. To say any more is merely anecdotal.

jaxword

Also I'm surprised this fedora stuff flies here. I don't know the history of this meme but it seems counter productive to stereotype a group, especially when the only thing they have in common is not having something in common (a common religious belief).

It really is, when it comes down to it. It's really just like 5-10 people at most in ANY area who embody the fedora-neckbeard stereotype.

It's just that anti-atheist people need something to label and marginalize those they hate.

Objectively, there IS no atheist stereotype because they don't exist as an organized group.

Raysoul

I don't doubt some reddit people jump on the fedora bandwagon because they think it's cool, but I seriously doubt they'd do so if they believed in any god.

It's the intelligence of religious people and atheist we are talking here, not the belief. Being an atheist doesn't instantly make you smarter than people who believes in God. Same with religious people. It can always go both ways.

It's the intelligence of religious people and atheist we are talking here, not the belief. Being an atheist doesn't instantly make you smarter than people who believes in God. Same with religious people. It can always go both ways.

Your claim was that people became atheists because they thought it was cool.

In all seriousness, I tend to agree that there seems to be a correlation between formal education and atheism.

However, some of the most wise, worldly, erudite men I have ever met in my life have had a strong faith.

Some conversations I've had with Jesuit priests (for example) have absolutely astounded me.

As a former church organist, I often came across very intelligent men and women who practice their faith regularly. While I will never understand it, I admire their tenacity and commitment.

I'm very happy to know that intelligence and wisdom takes all forms of religious faith or lack thereof.

JABEE

I went to look up the actual review to see what it really said, but being as it costs $30 I don't think I will bother.

I did score 15/15 on the test mentioned in the article though, perhaps that counts for something?

I can't believe there are so many people that don't know who Martin Luther is. I'm especially surprised that only 59 and 47% of Catholics know that the belief is that the Bread and Wine are actually the body and blood of Christ.

KingFire

Banned
Almost no one is brought up as an atheist. Most are brought to be religious then they chose to disbelief.

If most people were brought up as atheists, would we see a positive correlation between religiosity and intelligence?

Almost no one is brought up as an atheist. Most are brought to be religious then they chose to disbelief.

If most people were brought up as atheists, would we see a positive correlation between religiosity and intelligence?

I don't see the point in bringing someone up atheist as if it is something to acquire. I would teach my children to be critically thinking and leave it at that. The worlds religions would be discussed as just another facet of human anthropology. I was brought up religious and vehemently consider religious indoctrination to be child abuse, but no one ever taught me to be atheist; I would say it's the natural disposition of anyone capable of critical and broad thinking. That being said; I would like to see studies of intelligence in regards to susceptibility to cognitive dissonance - though this meta study of religion and intelligence is somewhat analogous.

Log4Girlz

In all seriousness, I tend to agree that there seems to be a correlation between formal education and atheism.

However, some of the most wise, worldly, erudite men I have ever met in my life have had a strong faith.

Some conversations I've had with Jesuit priests (for example) have absolutely astounded me.

As a former church organist, I often came across very intelligent men and women who practice their faith regularly. While I will never understand it, I admire their tenacity and commitment.

I'm very happy to know that intelligence and wisdom takes all forms of religious faith or lack thereof.

I find it absolutely fascinating how incredibly intelligent people can be religious. The cognitive dissonance is astounding.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
People with more education and skills have more opportunities at secular, worldly comforts: wealth, a good job, etc.

People without those same traits (or without the opportunity to acquire them) are consequently less likely to find glory in the eyes of this world. If you're not going to obtain success or meaning in this life, it's reasonable to turn to religion.

Ok. I interpreted your comment to mean meaning or purpose was less tangible in a secular environment, though I agree it can be harder (and daunting) to derive purpose from a secular view on the world (especially if coming from a religious upbringing).

I can see religion provides "easy" answers with respect to meaning and purpose for those that may otherwise struggle to make sense of the world e.g. those with lesser educations, which would fit the study. Also understandable that people might turn to religion in the face of their purpose being challenged or undermined such as the loss of close family members.

Indeed, now that I think about it, I'd consider religion similar to my view on Amway which I see as an "entrepreneurial" framework designed for people who have commercial ambition and drive, but not necessarily the skills or aptitude to start or run a successful business themselves from scratch.

Can't blame them, being a religious person is rarely cool.

Unless you're Tom Cruise or Will Smith.

Coolness comes from within.
One must embrace the coolness before all other things, but verily only with the knowledge that the coolness is as all other things.

For then I looked on all the works that my coolness had wrought, and on the coolness that I had laboured to do: and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and there was no profit under the sun.

And I turned myself to behold coolness, and madness, and folly: for what can the man do that cometh after the king? even that which hath been already done.

Then I saw that coolness excelleth folly, as far as light excelleth darkness.

The cool man's eyes are in his head; but the clown walketh in darkness: and I myself perceived also that one event happeneth to them all.

Then said I in my heart, As it happeneth to the clown, so it happeneth even to me; and why was I then more cool? Then I said in my heart, that this also is vanity.

For there is no remembrance of the cool more than of the clown for ever; seeing that which now is in the days to come shall all be forgotten. And how dieth the cool man? as the clown.

And how dieth the cool man?

As the clown.

Why not dig further? There's another argument that small, isolated communities tend to be more religious than those in the large towns and cities. Environment influences mannerisms and knowledge, impacting intelligence.

Ashes

Banned
Atheists are smarter than agonistics but dumber than Jews, where Anglicans are the smartest of the bunch.

Maybe the broader definition of religion brought down the average? or this is sociological approach is less scientific, and to put plainly, quite mean.

Majmun

The wealthiest countries seem to have the most atheists. See the Scandinavian countries, Japan and even Holland

And no, America is not wealthy lol.

I personally can't take people serious when they tell me that the world is only a few thousand years old, I just can't. Or when they believe in fairy tales such as Adam&Eve. Reality check: Santa doesn't exist either. Uneducated mess and very stubborn as well. Bah

If I were to build a country, I would shut the borders for such people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom