• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boardwalk Empire - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGS

Banned
Love this poster. It's now my meditation picture lol. Hopefully they come up with something as good in Season 3.

Boardwalk-Empire-Poster.jpg

All due respect to Game of Thrones, this is my favorite show. Can't wait for the 3rd season.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Love this poster. It's now my meditation picture lol. Hopefully they come up with something as good in Season 3.

All due respect to Game of Thrones, this is my favorite show. Can't wait for the 3rd season.
Is that the Commodore beside Gretchen Mol? If so... why? Or is that the butler? Also, I thought the floozie was gone for good.

It's from season 2. Thanks brianjones.

JGS

Banned
Is that the Commodore beside Gretchen Mol? If so... why? Or is that the butler? Also, I thought the floozie was gone for good.[/s]

It's from season 2. Thanks brianjones.
Sorry for confusion. I'm still admiring it until something better shows up

q_q

Fuck GoT and fuck BB, Empire is better than them both.

Speevy

Banned
I just want to say that season 2 of this show is much better than season one.

Not only did they fix the one problem I had with s1 (the drowning scene), but they really fleshed out some of the characters in a way I was not expecting.

I would almost recommend the seasons be watched together rather than separately.

Grinchy

Banned

Awesome. I wish it didn't have any writing and it was at least 1920x1200 though. And I also wish Chalky wasn't stuck at the back of the bus.

Speevy

Banned
One thing I hope they allow in the coming season is the opportunity for Steve Buscemi to show more of his acting range.

This guy is probably one of the finest American actors working today, and I've enjoyed seeing his character grow.

duckroll

I just want to say that season 2 of this show is much better than season one.

Not only did they fix the one problem I had with s1 (the drowning scene), but they really fleshed out some of the characters in a way I was not expecting.

I would almost recommend the seasons be watched together rather than separately.

Season 1-2 definitely feel like two sides of a coin. Everything foreshadowed or developed in S1 has a direct impact on the events of S2, and pretty much all the character arcs are resolved by the end of S2. I would definitely agree that people looking to check out the series should watch both seasons together.

It looks like S3 will be a sort of "fresh" start though, so it'll be interesting to see what sort of long term arc they have planned for us next.

Luck IMO was giving it a run for its money.....too bad we'll never know what it could have achieved since it got cancelled.

Yeah for sure. Dennis Farina and Dustin Hoffman's scenes together were bliss. And I loved the moments with the four gamblers.

God-damn :(

still buying the bluray, loved the show a lot. As it stands now though Boardwalk Empire is the second best show on TV. I think it's surpassed Breaking Bad and has some catching up to do on Mad Men.

What insanity is this? GoT is amateur hour at the moment. You got Boardwalk right though.

GoT never feels like filler to me, where as Breaking Bad feels like filler up until the final four episodes which are usually brilliant (for the last two seasons anyway). I love Breaking Bad when it gets to its payoff episodes. I absolutely fucking love it. But goddamn is the first half of a BB season annoying to sit through.

I never feel the filler of Boardwalk or GoT. It always feels like somethng worthwhile is going down or characters' arcs are progressing.

Jonm1010

Banned
My main issue with Breaking Bad is that outside of Cranston and Paul most of the performances range from palatable to bad. Still it's a great show, one of the best on TV, but I feel like if it weren't for those two's performances the show would be a disaster.

Speaking of Breaking Bad, I only realised the other night that he's in Lethal Weapon 2 as one of the poker cop buddies that gets blown up. I previously only knew him as the T2 swat team leader.

Speaking of Breaking Bad, I only realised the other night that he's in Lethal Weapon 2 as one of the poker cop buddies that gets blown up. I previously only knew him as the T2 swat team leader.

Yeah so far I've noticed him in Lethal Weapon 2, T2 and Total Recall.

edit: agree with you on the 'filler' problem with Breaking Bad. But I think Game of Thrones has just had some sloppy direction and acting all season so far. I love the story but the quality of the show itself feels inferior to something like Breaking Bad, let alone Boardwalk.

He talks about it right at the start of that video and I particularly love what he said

'We tried to think of all these alternatives. "What if we did this or what if we did that?" And [doing that] always felt like a television show to me." Before he then goes on to explain it wouldn't have felt honest not to kill him then.

Boardwalk <8

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
He talks about it right at the start of that video and I particularly love what he said

'We tried to think of all these alternatives. "What if we did this or what if we did that?" And [doing that] always felt like a television show to me." Before he then goes on to explain it wouldn't have felt honest not to kill him then.

Boardwalk <8

I'm very impressed that the writers had the integrity to kill him off. Keeping him alive would have been an extreme disservice to the story.

I have no idea what they're gonna do with Van Alden. On one hand I LOVE that character so much. He's hilarious. But I don't know how he can last so long being on the run from the feds.

Possible death this season or fewer episodes?

Jonm1010

Banned
I have no idea what they're gonna do with Van Alden. On one hand I LOVE that character so much. He's hilarious. But I don't know how he can last so long being on the run from the feds.

If you go back and check out the city van Alden ended up in at the end of the season(Cicero) and then wiki it's history around that time you can probably get a good idea where his storyline is heading.... Though I guess he could end up being next seasons big death but I could also see a few other paths after I put some of the pieces together.

I'm aware that this show is somewhat tied to history, but I don't really wanna spoil myself on that.

Only character whose general timeline I'm a bit aware of is Capone's.

Socreges

Banned

Remember that there will be a big leap in time between last season and the next. Two years, IIRC. So we'll probably find him in a very, very different situation.

Totally forgot about that. Holy shit. They'll probably cut the time-lapse scene and jump straight into 2 years later right?

I know people have their problems with BSG but that "one year later" scene and the accompanying music was one of the cleverest things I've seen on tv.

Wray

Six years would be a good solid run. That's about the sweet spot for most shows too. Once you get into 7th or 8th seasons, shows start to go off the rails.

I'm very impressed that the writers had the integrity to kill him off. Keeping him alive would have been an extreme disservice to the story.

I didnt like how they sort of wrote him into a corner where basically to make sense death was the only option.

Would have rather killed off Nucky.

just finished season 2. pretty bummed about james but it had to happen. this is a top notch show bested only by breaking bad!

fucking HBO's programming is too good for me to get rid of it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom