• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boardwalk Empire - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Alec Baldwin would probably be closer to the real life inspiration for the character (Nucky Johnson), but I definitely prefer what we got instead.

JGS

Banned
Alec Baldwin would probably be closer to the real life inspiration for the character (Nucky Johnson), but I definitely prefer what we got instead.
Agreed. Nucky as portrayed by Buscemi is so non-threatening at first (They even played to that in the first episode) that it adds to the character that he's actually a pretty scary guy that walks a line between brutality and finesse.

I could imagine a lot of people playing a gangster & they pick the dude least likely to look like he would succeed at it. Great casting.

Thank God we got Steve. Alec would be nowhere near as good, Buscemi is perfect.

I've been watching season 2 again with my sister and it really is just about perfect, can't wait for 3.

Also, just a quick reminder that HBO is rerunning all of S1 & S2 starting tonight with the pilot. They'll be airing episodes Monday-Friday at 10pm ET.

Arcteryx

Saw a preview for the new season while watching some stuff on HBO-GO last night...I swear there is a millisecond long snapshot of
Jimmy
towards the end of the preview.

I finished watching the series last week and just like to say the death of
Jimmy is one of my favorites in TV history. The way that he just accepts his death and gives up his dog tags, it really blew me away. And I'm glad the series has the balls to kill off a major character just like that. HBO is just so fucking good.

but you can be half a man

Game-of-Thrones-Tyrion-Blackwater-425x239-1.jpg

Has anyone else been catching the S2 replays on HBO? I'm eight episodes into my rewatch and just finished up "Two Boats and a Lifeguard". Great season so far with lots of action and intrigue. I had forgotten how violent it is with the scalping, Eli beating that guy to death with a wrench, etc... They kill off a good amount of the cast, too. It's tough watching Jimmy's decline knowing that he's on his way out. He just chucked Mickey Doyle off the balcony.

Fjordson

Yeah, season 2 was really fantastic. Big step up from the first season (even though I liked that one).

Can't believe it's already August, S3 coming up quickly at this point!

Socreges

Banned
- Boardwalk Empire Season 3: Clip Trailer *spoilers*

Please spoiler tag as necessary. (I haven't watched yet). Thanks.
So. Fucking. Hyped.

I regret watching that. Kinda.
I guess we can see where Jimmy's screen time is going now: Gyp Rosetti.

Genuinely surprised at the lack of love that Boardwalk gets compared to shows like Mad Men, Breaking Bad, etc. Is it because it's only two seasons in? Do more people have AMC than HBO? Or is the show just less accessible? Could be a mix, I guess.

MormaPope

Banned
What happened to Jimmy's character towards the end of season 2 was really fucked up,
forced to go to war to die over guilt/embarrassment for possibly being in love with his own mother?

But yeah, Season 3 will be really interesting.

So. Fucking. Hyped.

Genuinely surprised at the lack of love that Boardwalk gets compared to shows like Mad Men, Breaking Bad, etc. Is it because it's only two seasons in? Do more people have AMC than HBO? Or is the show just less accessible? Could be a mix, I guess.

More people have AMC, so that certainly helps. BE also had a so-so first season which probably turned some people off. Shame because the second season was some of the best TV last year.

q_q

Not gonna be the same without Jimmy. Can't wait though. Here's hoping Richard gets Manny, that son of a bitch.

Sadsic

just caught up to this show. holy shit those last 3 episodes were amazingly sad. Thinking about Jimmy's whole life, the whole thing was so screwed up, and he had so much potential =(

Fjordson

Man, I'm so excited for S3. I hope we get more of Luciano, Lansky, and Rothstein. Love all three of those characters.

So. Fucking. Hyped.

Yeah, more people have AMC. Netflix plays a role as well I think. Every season of Mad Men and Breaking Bad is up on Netflix streaming in HD. I know a lot of people that got into them through that (that's actually where I first got into Mad Men).

I actually just finished watching Season 1 and 2 for the first time about two weeks ago. Season 2 was some of the best television I've seen in a long time- definitely up there with the best shows on TV right now (Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Man Men, etc). In all honesty, Season 3 is definitely my most anticipated return right now.

Season 2 was absolutely amazing. Jimmy's story was really intriguing, especially when they started delving into the flash backs those last couple of episodes and really building out the back-story with him and his mother... I really ended up hating her at the end of the show when just an episode or two earlier, especially during that scene where she was beating the shit out of the bed-ridden commodore for raping her as a kid, I had actually felt pity for her character. Love when a show can mess with my feelings like that. Also, feeling a lot of hatred toward Nucky right now for how cold he is, I almost want them to reel it back a bit and show that he's more of sympathetic character again, the fact that he's shown almost no negative emotion after killing James - asshole. Glad he got all his land sold to the church.

So I was in Half Price Books in Dallas, TX and they had the second season out already. Labeled release of 8/14/12. 40 bucks for the Blu/DVD/DC version, which is less than amazon currently, although on season 1 Amazon cut the price to 35 just before release. No DVDs in that version though, so don't know if they will go that low again.

So I was in Half Price Books in Dallas, TX and they had the second season out already. Labeled release of 8/14/12. 40 bucks for the Blu/DVD/DC version, which is less than amazon currently, although on season 1 Amazon cut the price to 35 just before release. No DVDs in that version though, so don't know if they will go that low again.

Amazon did the same with Game of Thrones, hoping they do it again with Boardwalk Empire. Although I'll probably get it either way, it's too good of a season to pass up.

Amazon did the same with Game of Thrones, hoping they do it again with Boardwalk Empire. Although I'll probably get it either way, it's too good of a season to pass up.

Yeah, I fucked up on that release. I ordered the UK version because it was cheaper and came with a mini-book. And then amazon US cut the price a ton just before release but too late for me to cancel my UK order. Oh well. Still well in the green with purchases of blus from Amazon UK, especially box sets.

- BluRay Definition with a review of the upcoming S2 set
It’s gritty, it’s salacious, it’s violent – in other words, it’s everything you want a crime drama on HBO to be, only it’s set in the 1920s. Season Two of Boardwalk Empire on Blu-ray continues to entertain just as much, or more, than the first.

4.5/5.0 stars

Extras:
The second season collection is packed with cast, creator, and crew and commentaries, interactive features, and high definition featurettes on the new season and the historical time period.

The supplements:
  • Character Dossier – This cool in-episode feature allows you to keep track of the many different characters and their interconnections by offering scene-specific character bios.
  • Audio Commentaries:
    - Episodes 1 – 21 with creator/writer/executive producer Terence Winter, director/writer/executive producer Tim Van Patten, and Michael K. Williams (Chalky White)
    - Episode 5 – “Gimcrack & Bunkum” with co-executive producer/writer Howard Korder and Jack Huston (Richard Harrow)
    - Episode 7 – “Peg of Old” with co-executive producer/writer Howard Korder, co-producer/writer Steve Kornacki, director Allen Coulter, and Charlie Cox (Owen Slater)
    - Episode 8 – “Two Boats and a Lifeguard” with creator/writer/executive producer Terence Winter, director/writer/executive producer Tom Van Patte and Steve Buscemi (Nucky Thompson)
    - Episode 11 – “Under God’s Power She Flourishes” with co-executive producer/writer Howard Korder, director Allen Coulter, and Gretchen Mol (Gillian Darmody)
    - Episode 12 – “To the Lost” with creator/writer/executive producer Terence Winter and director/writer/executive producer Tim Van Patten
  • Back to the Boardwalk (1.78:1; 1080i/60) – Revisit season one of Boardwalk Empire with creator/executive producer Terence Winter in this 15-minute recap.
  • Secrets of the Past: Storytelling in Episode 11 (Disc 4) – Hear from the writers, cast members, and crew of Boardwalk Empire in this enhanced, picture-in-picture feature as they reflect on season two and the pivotal episode “Under God’s Power She Flourishes.”
  • Living in 1921 (Disc 5) – Look Back in time and discover the styles, sounds, and events that defined 1921 in this comprehensive, interactive guide.
  • New Characters (Disc 5) (1.78:1; 1080i/60; 00:03:35) – Get acquainted with the two new major characters in season two: Owen Sleater and Manny Horvitz.
  • Updates to the Boardwalk (Disc 5) (1.78:1; 1080i/60; 00:03:14) – Production designer Bill Groom, and creator /executive producer Terence Winter discuss the new sets of season two.
  • The Money Decade (Disc 5) (1.78:1; 1080i/60; 00:24:33) – Explore the legacy of the 1920s and get an inside look at the styles and trends that made the decade “roar.”
  • Season Two Promo Spot (Disc 5)
  • DVDs – 2 double-sided DVDs of the season included
  • Digital Copy

EDIT: Since someone's going to ask: the release date for the dvd/blu-ray is next Tuesday, August 28th.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Still as pissed from Day 1 that Jimmy's not in this. Will still watch, but sucks knowing it could've been better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom