• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bojack Horseman Season 4 |OT| Fuck Man, What Else Is There To Say

HariKari

The opening of episode 6 had me in fits of laughter, I'm wondering "should I be laughing at this? I've known this pain" yet it encapsulates depression so well with a high level of bleak humour.

I'm finding this season to be killing it so far, hope it can maintain that momentum until the end.

The .... it's true jackass ... cut had me in stitches. The comedic timing on some of these episodes is incredible.

Mike M

Nick N
The scribbled out face on Henrietta was great but knowing it also serves as a way of drawing out a plotline for the next season kinda undermines the effect.
I'm not sure what you mean by that.
Hollyhock's plot is over; she came looking for her parents and found them. What Henrietta's face looks like is an irrelevancy, not a hook for next season. Next season is about Bohack filming Philbert with Diane & Mr. Peanutbutter as the B-plot. If Hollyhock makes a reappearance, it will be with a new plot.

PSqueak

Banned
Just finished Episode 9.

Fuck man, I just want her to be happy.

Also, Episode 6...with all the hype i didn't know what to expect, but shit, it does hit hard
As someone who does that internal self hating thing all the time.

LotusHD

Banned
Whole time y'all got my expectations way too high for Episode 6. Obviously yet another good episode, but only 9 and 11 fully delivered in terms of "Omg this episode"

Raxus

Just finished Episode 9.

Fuck man, I just want her to be happy.

Also, Episode 6...with all the hype i didn't know what to expect, but shit, it does hit hard
As someone who does that internal self hating thing all the time.

Episode 11 will destroy you.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.
Hollyhock's plot is over; she came looking for her parents and found them. What Henrietta's face looks like is an irrelevancy, not a hook for next season. Next season is about Bohack filming Philbert with Diane & Mr. Peanutbutter as the B-plot. If Hollyhock makes a reappearance, it will be with a new plot.

She's going to be around a ton I think, the whole point of her character is that she's finally a piece of Bojack's family that isn't poison that reviles him for even existing.
She's his anchor that he CAN BE BETTER.

LotusHD

Banned
She's going to be around a ton I think, the whole point of her character is that she's finally a piece of Bojack's family that isn't poison that reviles him for even existing.

Yup, fully agreed with this.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Can't believe I'm saying this

But I want the next season to dig deeper into Peanutbutter.

Geist-

Someone on Reddit cut out Diane's ringtone from Ep.5.

Also all the ringtones from the other seasons.
Yep, that was my takeaway.
The ending of this season was different than the others in that it didn't end with Bojack as even more of a ruined person than he was previously.

sackninja

Whole time y'all got my expectations way too high for Episode 6. Obviously yet another good episode, but only 9 and 11 fully delivered in terms of "Omg this episode"

Episode 6 hit me harder than any other episode this season.

I've finished it now, and overall, I think it might be my favorite season which is amazing given how brillaint two and three were. I'm gonna sit on it a bit and I'll probably do a big write up later.

Just finished. What a ride! Still remains my favorite show ever. 9 was definitely the hardest hitting ending for me. On the other hand is this the first time a season has a
relatively happy
ending?

Just finished. What a ride! Still remains my favorite show ever. 9 was definitely the hardest hitting ending for me. On the other hand is this the first time a season has a
relatively happy
ending?
I felt the end of season 2 was kinda hopeful. "It gets easier, but the hard part is you gotta keep doing it."

TARS

Neo Member
Just finished Episode 9... What a punch in the gut.

Enjoying the season so far, glad it hasn't disappointed.

Mike M

Nick N
Kind of wish episode 11 played up the
dementia
more. Most of it was played as a straight flashback, which was mildly disappointing given how it started before the opening credit roll.

The depiction of Beatrice's mother as a silhouette with a glowing lobotomy scar standing behind a field of fire with screaming in the background was some nightmare inducing shit.

Tall4Life

Kind of wish episode 11 played up the
dementia
more. Most of it was played as a straight flashback, which was mildly disappointing given how it started before the opening credit roll.

The depiction of Beatrice's mother as a silhouette with a glowing lobotomy scar standing behind a field of fire with screaming in the background was some nightmare inducing shit.
I thought that part was well done. Things in the background would change inexplicably, characters switched, random flickering, etc. I do want to rewatch it to see if there were any other small details I missed in that sequence

Pedersen

ScornfulUnhealthyAnnelida-size_restricted.gif

Rewinded this lets say about 14 times

Mike M

Nick N
Loved how the running gag with the ridiculous alliterations and rhyming culminated in Todd telling Yolanda it'd be funnier if her name were Betty.

I wanna record the excellent wordplay in this show:
PC: You know the actress Courtney Portnoy?

Todd: I think so. She portrayed the formerly portly consort in the seaport resort.

PC: Courtly roles like the formerly portly consort are Courtney Portnoy's forte.

----

PC: This was supposed to be Courtney's crossover coronation. But that's sorta been thwarted unfortunately 'cause Courtney's purportedly falling short of shoring up fourth quadrant support.

----

PC: Judah, prepare the press release! "Portnoy finds joy in hoi polloi boy toy!"

I don't know any other show that does this kind of alliteration and rhyme so well.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The most impressive one was in episode 9.

Ruthie: But today was all about business. She was there because she was trying to get her client Courtney Portnoy cast in--

PC: Corpse Me if You Can Can, the 1940s Cannes, France-set story of a can-can dancer who contracts cancer but continues to can-can as a canny cadaver who plays the accordion with Kevin Corrigan, Kevin Kline, Chris Klein, Chris Pine, and Chris Kattan.

Judah: Got it.

Must've been a nightmare to record.

Mike M

Nick N
At Todd's meeting at the end of episode 4
Yolanda is sitting at the bar with her back to the viewer on the right hand side of the screen.

Astral Dog

Yeeeah. Episode 6 is just a bit funny.

I liked episode 5 better, with Beatrice
changing her personality

Haly

The best part about 6 and its "legacy" in later episodes was the introduction of the crayon scribble monologues. I love art shifts like that and it's so rare to see in Western cartoons.

PSqueak

Banned

Episode 6 only gets to you if
you also have issues constantly thinking about how much you're a useless piece of shit and how worthless you are
it's an episode that resonates with people
with self loathing, confidence issues or depression.

caliph95

Episode 6 only gets to you if
you also have issues constantly thinking about how much you're a useless piece of shit and how worthless you are
it's an episode that resonates with people
with self loathing, confidence issues or depression.
So perfect for me
except the depression part

Puruzi

Banned
The best part about 6 and its "legacy" in later episodes was the introduction of the crayon scribble monologues. I love art shifts like that and it's so rare to see in Western cartoons.
Same, really liked the style change for those scenes

That argument with
Diane and Mr. Pb in ep 12 was stupid. She tells him she always wanted a study, he gives her one, only to throw it back in his face cuz she only like the idea of having one. Nevermind they got the money to change the room into whatever

Kalor

I finished the season and it's easily the best season they've done. After 2 and 3 I wondered how they were going to top it and now I'm wondering the same thing after this one. It feels like they've perfected the characters and world now so as long as it remains at this quality then I don't care where it goes.

Episode 11 was probably my favourite of the season.
The way that they handled Beatrices dementia was interesting and it added more to some of the lines that she said during the season such as when Bojack throws the baby away. I haven't rewatched any of the show since the weekends that they first aired but I'm curious to rewatch this season to see if I missed anything or even to catch the shifting background elements in 11.

I really liked the experimentation with different art styles as well. Hopefully they do more going forward.

Haly

That argument with
Diane and Mr. Pb in ep 12 was stupid. She tells him she always wanted a study, he gives her one, only to throw it back in his face cuz she only like the idea of having one. Nevermind they got the money to change the room into whatever

I can buy it.
It's less about the room and more about the fundamental differences between their values. PB is really impulsive and bombastic whereas Diane is self-critical and subdued. This is why her chemistry with Bojack was always stronger.

I wonder why they rearranged the episodes. In a later episode they say the bridge to Hawaii is barely being built when it was established previously that the drive was already "a thing you can do now".

Haly

Towards the end the show skipped time back and forth a lot it's hard to keep track. I want say the bridge was already built when Woodchuck was re-elected governor?

That argument with

The point is to show that
their marriage is crumbling and that stupid empty arguments like that happen in those situations because one or both parties have to just be miserable no matter what in the situation because they've checked out.

It's to show that Diane is done and wants out.

PSqueak

Banned
I wonder why they rearranged the episodes. In a later episode they say the bridge to Hawaii is barely being built when it was established previously that the drive was already "a thing you can do now".

Sounded like a manner of speech from Diane's part when she leaves that on Bojack's voice mail to highlight the absurdity of the bill.

I can buy it. It's less about the room and more about the fundamental differences between their values. PB is really impulsive and bombastic whereas Diane is self-critical and subdued. This is why her chemistry with Bojack was always stronger.
She knew this when met him, he's always been this way. hell the governor adventure wouldn't have happened had she put her foot down and told him the truth, but that subdued nature lets him do whatever he wants till it's to late
The point is to show that
their marriage is crumbling and that stupid empty arguments like that happen in those situations because one or both parties have to just be miserable no matter what in the situation because they've checked out.

It's to show that Diane is done and wants out.
And knowing her, she'll drag that out till it spirals out of control

She knew this when met him, he's always been this way. hell the governor adventure wouldn't have happened had she put her foot down and told him the truth, but that subdued nature lets him do whatever he wants till it's to late

And the things that are cute and make them happy and think are adorable when you're first dating and engaged, make you want to pull your own teeth out after a few years of marriage.

It's depressingly real.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Just finished the season. I felt like the quality of the humor was much higher compared to the drama, but i think that's a good thing. I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than season 3. Still, even if the drama wasn't as strong (thats not the best way to put it.... Shocking? Dramatic?) there were still some good gut punch momenta

Top Bottom