• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bonnie Ross and 343 on the Future of the MCC. Game Getting Update Early 2018

Releasing on PC when they are still going back to fix it on console just isn't going to happen.

You guys need to check your expectations.

I am glad they are fixing MCC. I might hope back on when they do and release the X update.

Also its nice to see that they are supporting HCS. I really enjoy the pro league games. Halo is really intense to watch especially when your favorite team is on the line
Damn it NV stop making games go to a round 5.

Detective

I just hope they take their time with the next Halo. I don’t care if it comes out 18, 19 or 2020.

Just make a proper Halo.
Make Halo Halo again.

MCC, don’t care about it. I will probably install it again on my X if the graphical update is good.

This is very unexpected, but fantastic news. I bought it at launch and hung in there until shortly after ODST was added. It improved, but never quite got to where it needed to be and I just got tired of dealing with it.

I thought for sure by 5's release that MCC was put out to pasture. It always rubbed me the wrong way how this game was never brought to full working condition. The legacy of classic Halo is FAR too important to leave in this kind of state. It's likely there wouldn't even be an Xbox anything today if it weren't for Halo.

Pez

Best of luck fixing it, but I'm not holding my breath. =(

A friend and I tried to beat halo 2 only to have the game crash on us 4 times on 4 separate occasions.

Best of luck fixing it, but I'm not holding my breath. =(

A friend and I tried to beat halo 2 only to have the game crash on us 4 times on 4 separate occasions.

I dont understand this response. Everything is fixable, it depends on how much $ and time they are willing to spend on it. I dont think theyd go out of their way to announce it and hire an external studio to help if they didnt intended on going through with it all the way. Its common sense.

ElRenoRaven

Honestly they blew their chance. They've had years to finish fixing the game and never fucking did. The game could have had an amazing and extremely large community playing it if they'd just fixed their shit.

So you know good for them but at this point it's too little too late.

Madness

Man they might as well release the Xbox One X 4K and fixed version on Steam. Imagine how many sales they could get from players who never got to play Halo 3

Man they might as well release the Xbox One X 4K and fixed version on Steam. Imagine how many sales they could get from players who never got to play Halo 3

Honestly, if its not already too complicated to fix, i would totally do that. If youre gonna go all out and fix it, then put a bit more effort and release it on PC and get a whole new audience at the same time.

I think its exactly why they see as fixing it now, a better time than ever.

If they fix this game, they need to get it into more hands somehow. Otherwise the population for matchmaking is gonna be incredibly weak.

But damn, I would kill for this collection to work.

dont forget key words that an "external partner" is assisting with the updates/upgrades/enchancements/undertheHoodCoding. like what they did with the initial launch of mcc.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
dont forget key words that an "external partner" is assisting with the updates/upgrades/enchancements/undertheHoodCoding. like what they did with the initial launch of mcc.

Difference being that it’s one partner, not like 15.

Akai__

More details this week apparently.

Probably in the Bullettin then? I hope it really has some details and not just a couple words.

Want to know how serious they are about this.

External Partners were not limited to launch only. It was actually Splash Damage that released the patch that made the MP playable for the vast majority.

Well damn, never expected them to go back to MCC. Expected them to keep the whole name out of their mouth but it's actually getting fixed and enhanced for One X. Sweet. I'll definitely jump into those awesome campaigns again with all the enhancements.

Akai__

The head of the studio made the announcement, its pretty fucking serious.

And? I'm not giving 343i or the Studio Head the benefit of the doubt. Shouldn't really be surpsising, after all that happened to Halo.

And like I said... I'm still a fan of actions and not words, so I'll be cautious with this.

You know what, this is better late than never. I love Halo as a franchise, so I'm super happy that they are finally fixing the MCC. Now if they only released it on Windows 10 with Cross Buy, enabled Cross Play with settings to allow people to select the input methods they wish to play against, Firefight and Halo Reach; the game would be perfect.

If 343 manages to get this game in shape, I might actually buy an X1X, depending on the improvements.

Either way, I'd happily return to these games if MCC actually worked. And basically play them forever.

Effect

If 343 manages to get this game in shape, I might actually buy an X1X, depending on the improvements.

Either way, I'd happily return to these games if MCC actually worked. And basically play them forever.

Is the problem the match making or is it the campaigns or both?

Glass

Had to leave last night's stream after Tashi and Bravo finished their segment , whilst thinking I'd seen all the good bits the Stream had to offer . Did not expect to wake up to MCC news anytime in 2017.

If they fix this game, they need to get it into more hands somehow. Otherwise the population for matchmaking is gonna be incredibly weak.
Yeah they do, and I dont think an update alone is going to cut it. I don't think there's a lot of money to be made from updating a 3 year old game with a shitty reputation. Existing customers already feel burned. Not of lot of new folk will bite on something old with that kind of reputation, either.

I think it has more promotional value to Microsoft at this point. Releasing it as a GwG title would promote both Xbox Live and the X and no one ever complains about free. Now everyone's excited about Xbox Live, now people are jealous of the folk that get to play it in 4K, now it has an instant multiplayer population filled with people who otherwise wouldn't have bought it. Halo is popular again on Xbox because everyone has a copy. Chief's face is everywhere again.
And if that were to coincide with a PC release? The Xbox hype will sell PC copies and Halo has a new market there as well.
They may not be making a lot of money from the game itself, but it's selling Live, it's selling consoles, it's repairing their reputation and it's promoting their brand to all of XboxLive as they start work on Halo 6. By the time 6 comes out they have a bunch of happy people on X and PC waiting for it.

That's how I would want it to go ideally. I wouldn't expect it on GwG until it's ready, though. Probably just existing owners during the testing phase.
Looking forward to hearing more. I think Stinkles said more info was coming very soon.

And? I'm not giving 343i or the Studio Head the benefit of the doubt. Shouldn't really be surpsising, after all that happened to Halo.

And like I said... I'm still a fan of actions and not words, so I'll be cautious with this.

Im not saying you should just be happy and forget about the passed. Im saying that they could have announced this a couple of different ways, like a weekly update, sketch just saying it on stream etc. and they decided to get the head of the studio to come on live and announce it herself. That in itself is a big statement on their part.

I have no doubts that they are very serious about this. If you cant see that, then i dunno what to tell you.

jelly

Woooohoooooo! I can now stop dreaming and posting about it. All the people saying never! :D

Thanks 343, hope it turns out well.

Wooooooooo!

_Aaron_

Better late than never I guess. Good on them for not forgetting though. It's a shame it took so long. I was very close to buying Xbox One because of MCC but decided not to when I heard about what a state it was.

Like many others, I'm holding out for a PC version now though. If Microsoft were actually serious about Windows gaming then they would have already done this by now. I tried Halo 5: Forge, but it was dead online, had low FOV, and mouse acceleration. A waste of time.

These are classic games that many former Xbox gamers want to relive and new PC gamers want to experience for the first time.

When the Halo Wars Steam page went up, I made a request thread for Halo 1, 2, 3 on Steam Community. It has consistently remained the top and most popular thread on that board with over 87 pages and 1300 responses so far: https://steamcommunity.com/app/459220/discussions/0/133262848296593899/?ctp=87

Is the problem the match making or is it the campaigns or both?

The campaigns worked fairly well, it was primarily multiplayer that suffered and never reached a point of totally smooth functionality. They eventually got it working, but not well.

That's not to say the campaigns were unscathed, though. Most famously, Halo 4 could not be completed unless you were in the know or button mashing, because an incorrect button prompt caused players to continuously fail a QTE. Besides that, a bunch of stuff like game crashes and save issues. Less serious than multiplayer had going on, though.

Basically the post-release updates took it from unplayable to suitable for testing. Never as far as release candidate. 2018 might finally take this game to where it belonged on release.

jelly

It's amazing to me that people are actually applauding and thanking them. No wonder publishers release half assed games when they know the audience will accept and excuse any amount of bullshit. As for 343 I bought the MCC Collection assuming it's problems would have ben fixed by now. Nope. The matchmaking is a mess. They've really fucked the franchise and I'll never buy any product they are associated with.

Come on, you can give 343 praise without forgivIng them for past mistakes or whatever. A thanks now isn't please give me more half assed games. 343 are late but doing the right thing. Not perfect but thanks for doing it.

Heidern98

When MCC was announced it really felt like MS trying to push out a Halo game to get Christmas sales and stay in the race. The enhancements sounded good on paper but didn't feel like they went far enough towards what the property deserved. Then it released and things were not exactly working right and it certainly turned me away from the franchise. Then it seemed that they didn't ever get around to/get a chance to fix it all the way and the fans were left hanging out to dry.

If XBox One X wasn't coming out would this patch even be coming? Is the seemingly longer development schedule for Halo 6 contributing to this patch? It feels like it's another "got to get a Halo game out there" type of move again.

I hope they can fix the problems and make the game the one they originally envisioned when the project was originally conceived, I just don't know if I'll even get a chance to play it.

Unity2012

I am happy to hear about this. I've had many pc games that out of the gate were almost unplayable, if you are a PC player you know this happens more often than people admit. After a few patches things start getting better and eventually gamers just focus on playing the game. This whole patching games on consoles is catching up with the pc environment. The fact that they did not abandon the game; and are still open to improve the collection is but a win situation for us. I'm not going to look at the past.

I love the MCC collection. I didn't buy it for the MP portion of it but because it allows me to play all my favorite Halo SP games in one place. Any and all improvements added to it are very, very welcome.

jelly

My quick basic dream list

Halo CEA redone with new faithful art style to the original, remove the quick switch to a main menu option for maximum performance and stability instead of in game and bring the version more in line the original console version, missing effects etc. but keep the PC stuff like maps.

Halo 2A, quick switch relegated to main menu again. Maybe just me but I like in game cinematics, not a priority option but a choice of that or Blur would be nice and fix the reverse phantom.

Halo 3 Anniversary, goes without saying, field of view expanded and improvements.

Halo 3 ODST Anniversary, field of view again, original firefight and put in online matchmaking co-op for firefight and campaign.

Halo 4, fix the bugs.

Halo Reach Anniversary, it still looks great and a boost plus removing the ghosting AA of the original would make it look really good. Performance etc.

Generally, playlist updates, maybe dedicated servers for fan favorites. Community involvement. Something that makes it easier to get into games, hop onto a server and your set.

Lore and devs, I think a good part could be an information hub making it easier to tie a game, character to a level or game so users can get into Halo better and for the future.

Would love some developer commentary during a play through, be quite neat to even hear them talking about updating HALO MCC and explaining what they've done and how plus general secrets, tips and fun facts. Also skill and tips with community commentary, want to know how to get out of the campaign level, make that jump, find that Easter egg, a picture in picture mode or commentary, waypoints, player ghosts to show you the path, how they tackled sections of the games or found a secret etc. like Trials.

I'll stop, getting carried away.

Top Bottom