• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bonnie Ross and 343 on the Future of the MCC. Game Getting Update Early 2018

Cranster

Banned
So are they going to do Halo 3 anniversary and incorporate it into MCC?

That's the only redemption path they have.
The only thing they need to do to redeem themselves is to fix the collection. While Halo 3 Anniversary would be nice I would rather they prioritize making the product fully functional, let alone I would prefer some UI and netcode improvements over H3A.

How many games are there like the MCC where it's a re-release of ultra-hit AAA titles and the game is released in a fully broken state and not fixed after 3 years?
How many gaming collections include over 100 MP maps and 4 different campaigns running on 6 different engines that were built over a 14 year time period wrapped in a single UI? Developers saw these issues with this collection and did either smaller remasters on separate discs or refused to include multiplayer at all.

anothertech

I feel bad for those with high hopes.

I predict they will release this mess on pc and add some content. But there’s no way in hell they are going to fix all the issues, and most of them they won’t even touch. People will defend it regardless.

They’re already downplaying the massive issues with the game. It’s not promising.

Zushin

Just started playing Halo 2 in MCC this last week. Wonder if I should just wait for the updates because I've encountered quite a few bugs so far.

Cranster

Banned
One that couldn't be made.
Except it was made and while not perfect (and in need of fixes) it's still more fun to play than most other games.

They're already downplaying the massive issues with the game. It's not promising.
Where are you seeing that? EDIT: It was a pitch that was rejected, Halo Wars 3 was not canceled because it hasn't even began pre-production.

Yep, I appreciate that they're trying but for the love of god let's not count out Microsoft to absolutely fuck this up and damage the franchise further. I mean it looks like they did just cancel Halo Wars 3.
Halo Wars 3 more than likely hasn't even been greenlite yet. So I don't know where you are getting this information because it sounds like alot of bullshit!

Wait, they are actually going to fix it? I thought they said the fuck with it but being such a stain on the Halo brand it's nice to see 343i reach into the depth of their 2014 blunder to make it their 2018 wonder.

Well, hopefully. It remains to be seen,

Snoopycat

Banned
How many other developers are putting this kind of support to a 3 year old game that is full of technical issues? Would you be happier if they left it as is? Eitherway it seems like you already made up your mind so why even post reply?

Putting this kind of support? Are you kidding? What support? The game is a mess. It's been 3 years and it's still not working properly. If they had fixed it's problems within the 1st year I'd be more forgiving. 3 years later and as of last night I had problems with lag and 1 match which froze my Xbox. That is not support.

Cranster

Banned
Putting this kind of support? Are you kidding? What support? The game is a mess. It's been 3 years and it's still not working properly. If they had fixed it's problems within the 1st year I'd be more forgiving. 3 years later and as of last night I had problems with lag and 1 match which froze my Xbox. That is not support.
Better late than never. In the end it sounds like now it will get proper support which is what is needed.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Yep, I appreciate that they’re trying but for the love of god let’s not count out Microsoft to absolutely fuck this up and damage the franchise further. I mean it looks like they did just cancel Halo Wars 3.

Not really.

That interview was pretty good. I appreciated the acknowledgment of lack of communication and commitment to improve.

inb4 we don’t hear any more until the next year

MaLDo

I'm surprised, why now? The game came out 3 years ago and was an absolute disaster. Even after all the updates and fixes the game never really felt like it was totally fixed or was ever going to be. Felt like 343i just gave up after awhile. One of the biggest disappointments in recent memory. Halo deserved SO MUCH better, it should have been a celebration of Halo not the steaming pile of garbage we ended up getting.

I dunno, being such a huge fan of Halo I was just so burnt out by that whole fiasco. This gesture's appreciated but I honestly think it's too little too late.

Because it could be the better exclusive to sell the new X.

Vespa

"Halo's destruction was your error and you rightly bear the blame. But the Council was... overzealous. We know you are no heretic.."

Redeem yawself, 343! REEDEEM YAAAAW-SELF!!

Deja

I cared a couple years ago when they took my money for the game and left us with a broken piece of trash for a good couple months.

Yeah it’s great it’s getting updated now for those who still play, but too little too late for me. It made me completely lose interest in what was once my favourite FPS franchise.

I hope they update the UI and the menus. They are boring and very glitchy. I remember I pitched an idea while back, before they released it, where a simplififed menu, with the different Halo menu backgrounds would fade in and out.

Example, the Halo 1 menu, where the camera orbs around a Halo
Halo 2, where it goes around New Mombasa.
Halo 3, where it goes around the ark site.
Halo 4, very stativ, but still important, where it shows Requiem.
I dont even remember how the menu looked in ODST.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
This is.. surprising. It should've been something they tried doing, you know, back in 2014/15, but it is quite surprising that MS ok'd going back to fixing it after all this time, so it's a good thing, but also a really late thing.

I do hope a PC release is part of this plan to give the collection another chance. Halo MCC was my most played XBO title and I'd love to have it on PC now since I have no interest in Xbox anymore.

nekkid

Finish the collection and put it on PC, already. You've already put Halo 5 Forge on it, might as well go all the way.

I really don’t see the point in putting it on PC. For years all I ever heard from PC gamers is how Halo is “nothing special” or “there are so many other options on PC”.

jem0208

This is.. surprising. It should've been something they tried doing, you know, back in 2014/15, but it is quite surprising that MS ok'd going back to fixing it after all this time, so it's a good thing, but also a really late thing.

I do hope a PC release is part of this plan to give the collection another chance. Halo MCC was my most played XBO title and I'd love to have it on PC now since I have no interest in Xbox anymore.
They did spend about a year updating it until it got to a semi playable state.

We'll see. Should've happened a long time ago. Bought the game digitally around the time it came out so I'm cautiously optimistic they'll finally get it together.

Between this debacle, and Halo 4 and 5 being average to bad, 343i are probably one of the biggest jokes in the industry right now.

They must hate that The Coalition nailed Gears 4 first time around, along with the Gears 1 remaster.

Great news but little too late sadly, I've given up on MCC a long time ago due to broken hit detection, poor net coding and crashing on me when trying to navigate the menus or playing the campaign.

I'll be willing to give it another chance though.

Defect

Great news but little too late sadly, I've given up on MCC a long time ago due to broken hit detection, poor net coding and crashing on me when trying to navigate the menus or playing the campaign.

I'll be willing to give it another chance though.
Sounds like classic Halo to me!

I really don’t see the point in putting it on PC. For years all I ever heard from PC gamers is how Halo is “nothing special” or “there are so many other options on PC”.

Well, there are certainly better shooters on PC, but the original Combat Evolved was still fun on PC, dammit. And I'd rather not play an FPS with a controller.

MarveI

343 never lies or makes false promises so this should be good.

Why even talk about this ? There's already a great deal of mistrust from fans why not keep it on the down until it is really ready to be released ? I mean most people moved on from it now you're going to promise big things that might not work out as intended and that's just going to damage the brand even more. It's like MS' E3 they made mistakes announcing things early now they're going to announce games that are ready.

I personally think 343 should've kept quiet about this and just released it when it's 100% ready. You never know what could happen, it might not work as intended, studio might interfere, anything could happen. It's not an easy project to clean up this big of a mess.

Phil Spencer said if we lose our way with Halo we lose our way with xbox. That they did. If they truly cared they would not have kept quiet on this for 3 years. If they had really cared they would've acted on it immediately. Sure better late than never...but still.

Akai__

I'm actually very surprised by this, because it's super late. We are approaching 2 years and 5 months without patches after all, but better late than never, I guess. This is a timeless Halo Legacy Collection. It deserves better and I'm glad that this was approved by the higher ups. Maybe the countless tweets (and Forum posts) from fans to Halo, Phil Spencer and Xbox actually did something for once. But still... I'm a fan of actions and not words. That's why I'll be very cautious about this.

The moment they ask for help, I'll be there to sign up and I'll help out if my time allows it. I think all of us Halo fans want a perfect working Master Chief Collection and if they need help, we should help. Not to do 343i a favour, but to do us, the fans who were burned on this, a favour.

nekkid

I'm actually very surprised by this, because it's super late. We are approaching 2 years and 5 months without patches after all, but better late than never, I guess. This is a timeless Halo Legacy Collection. It deserves better and I'm glad that this was approved by the higher ups. Maybe the countless tweets (and Forum posts) from fans to Halo, Phil Spencer and Xbox actually did something for once. But still... I'm a fan of actions and not words. That's why I'll be very cautious about this.

The moment they ask for help, I'll be there to sign up and I'll help out if my time allows it. I think all of us Halo fans want a perfect working Master Chief Collection and if they need help, we should help. Not to do 343i a favour, but to do us, the fans who were burned on this, a favour.

This is how it is for me. I’ll happily help out to make that collection perfect, because it deserves it. MCC should have gone into Early Access in retrospect (before EA existed on Xbox) but it is what it is.

EmiPrime

Why even talk about this ? There's already a great deal of mistrust from fans why not keep it on the down until it is really ready to be released ? I mean most people moved on from it now you're going to promise big things that might not work out as intended and that's just going to damage the brand even more. It's like MS' E3 they made mistakes announcing things early now they're going to announce games that are ready.

I personally think 343 should've kept quiet about this and just released it when it's 100% ready. You never know what could happen, it might not work as intended, studio might interfere, anything could happen. It's not an easy project to clean up this big of a mess.

Phil Spencer said if we lose our way with Halo we lose our way with xbox. That they did. If they truly cared they would not have kept quiet on this for 3 years. If they had really cared they would've acted on it immediately. Sure better late than never...but still.

I appreciate 343 being open about MCC but some people are never going to be happy. If they've kept quiet this long and are now finally talking that means this is definitely going to happen.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Between this debacle, and Halo 4 and 5 being average to bad, 343i are probably one of the biggest jokes in the industry right now.

They must hate that The Coalition nailed Gears 4 first time around, along with the Gears 1 remaster.

This is certainly an opinion. I liked Halo 5 quite a bit more than Gears 4.

KageMaru

I predict they will release this mess on pc and add some content. But there’s no way in hell they are going to fix all the issues, and most of them they won’t even touch. People will defend it regardless.

They’re already downplaying the massive issues with the game. It’s not promising.

You haven't paid attention to the info posted, have you? They sending out updates and asking players for feedback in the spring. This isn't a single patch dropping in the spring and they are moving on. They are inviting players to join in and help them fix the game. No one is downplaying or defending anything. We all, including 343i, know that the game isn't in the state it should be in. The only options they have is to either do nothing or attempt to fix the game. They are making the right move here.

Look up post-mortems on other Remasters and see how difficult it is to do just one game. We're talking about multiple engines, used in multiple games, worked on my multiple studios. I understand being frustrated with the silence the last couple years, but at least they are attempting to make it right.

I personally think 343 should've kept quiet about this and just released it when it's 100% ready.

They are talking about it because people keep asking about it. Look up any Halo related news thread the last couple years and they are flooded with people bringing up MCC. Given their statement on transparency, I think they understand there is a level of mistrust. I also don't understand how they are promising big things. They didn't really promise anything. They announced 1X support and a pilot program for the spring to make another attempt at correcting their mistakes with the game. They didn't promise it will all work perfectly and have actually admitted that there is risk involved in this move.

It also doesn't make sense to keep quiet on this until it's 100% ready when they are looking for feedback to further improve the game.

levyjl1988

Banned
Will players playing Halo games backwards compatable connect with players playing Halo MCC? Or will the player base and matchmaking be split up? How are servers being handled? Worse case is competing versions and split userbase.

Will players playing Halo games backwards compatable connect with players playing Halo MCC? Or will the player base and matchmaking be split up? How are servers being handled? Worse case is competing versions and split userbase.

It will be the same as before. Everything will be split.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

Do we have a list of the issues that still exists?

This is certainly an opinion. I liked Halo 5 quite a bit more than Gears 4.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Halo 4 but the Halo 5 multiplayer is incredible.

On topic, I can see myself going through the co-op campaigns with my brother before Halo 6 comes out but I'm probably done with MCC online. Between how broken it was at launch and the way it kept jumping between different games, it left a really bad taste in my mouth and I haven't gone back to in forever.

Kudos to MS/343 for putting in the time and resources to fix it, it really is one hell of a collection just for the campaigns alone.

Real shame the multiplayer is dead, takes 15min to find a 3vs3 team slayer game
This may depend on region?

My friend and I went on halo 3 to check out th backward compatibility but when we found the big team playlist on there was dead we booted up MCC and got a BTB going on there no issue. (North America)

Game has a lot of playlists so it probably does need some streamlining there at this point.

Izayoi

Banned
A Windows version could solve the population problems with a server browser - but ideally, a working game would help bring people back on console.

I'm honestly amazed that they're going back to this, but I think it's a good move for the fans. I remember being quite worried prior to launch that they had taken on more work than they could handle.

I literally only use MCC as a way to re-visit the campaigns while playing solo, so I've had no issues with it at all. That being said I still welcome improvements!

Top Bottom