• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bonnie Ross (Head of 343i): "Every Halo FPS will have Split-Screen going forward"

OldRoutes

I guess we can add Halo 6 to the list of games spoiled by listening to the community if this means no more 60fps.

tumblr_lvt2klDywe1qbrgydo1_500.png

They're not mutually exclusive. Of course, you probably won't get 60 fps in split screen, but why wouldn't you get it in Single player or multi?

ElNino

I was talking about what the second person needed also. ;)
They don't though, at least not in my scenario.

I have two Xbox One consoles and I share Gold with my sons (and wife's) profiles. They can play in the basement on my Home Xbox One using their profiles on Live since I'm sharing Gold there. Upstairs, we can play as long as my profile is signed in.

Theorry

They don't though, at least not in my scenario.

I have two Xbox One consoles and I share Gold with my sons (and wife's) profiles. They can play in the basement on my Home Xbox One using their profiles on Live since I'm sharing Gold there. Upstairs, we can play as long as my profile is signed in.

Thats what i ment. You do need a extra TV and Xbox. But only one copy of Halo and only one Gold. :)

Interesting negative to takeaway / mention from 5.
Personally smaller to me now, but would have been super valuable previously.

And she's right, trust has been really eroded.

Shes right and yet they show a video with all of the old, classic halo music which none of the new games really have. I mean, its also common sense no?

She talks about Star Wars and i have as well on multiple occasions. The music is legendary in there and yet the music in Halo4 and 5 have not 'felt' like halo.

I mean, she clearly sees that something is off, that much is clear. But their vision of how to fix it is practically always missing the mark in some way. Yes MP in 5 was fantastic, but what else was? was the music fantastic? Did the world look and feel like halo? It didnt to me.

I dunno, i like whats she said but im not sure i have faith in 343 anymore to deliver on all of those aspects, especially like Bungie did.

jelly

I tried, I really did but I can't stand listening to he speak. She's like a MS version of Soderlund.

Good news for splitscreen. Wish Halo 5's story never existed. Can they just make 5 again and we pretend it never happened?

How about still in cryosleep after Halo 3

Cortana "Just dreams Chief, it never happened, look at your armor, still the same. I need you.....to fix the damn ship!"

Zasa

There's no reason why 60fps is not compatible with split screen.
Indeed, & there's also no chance they're going to sacrifice 60 FPS for split-screen. I mean, the amount of people that would alienate compared to the amount of split-screeners is vast, just renders that notion obsolete.

jelly

Shes right and yet they show a video with all of the old, classic halo music which none of the new games really have. I mean, its also common sense no?

She talks about Star Wars and i have as well on multiple occasions. The music is legendary in there and yet the music in Halo4 and 5 have not 'felt' like halo.

I mean, she clearly sees that something is off, that much is clear. But their vision of how to fix it is practically always missing the mark in some way. Yes MP in 5 was fantastic, but what else was? was the music fantastic? Did the world look and feel like halo? It didnt to me.

I dunno, i like whats she said but im not sure i have faith in 343 anymore to deliver on all of those aspects, especially like Bungie did.

The problem with Halo story is they can't dial it back so it falls more into the moment to moment and simple character interactions. The stakes are way too high. Now you could say Star Wars is like that but are they Universe ending, no. Halo should be telling stories and adventures that have stakes but not Universe ending ones. Big moments, yes. I just want some ideal chat with some marines, other characters, chill with Cortana at the top of a gravity lift while she quips about Chief being afraid of heights, I won't look. Halo 2 High Charity btw. Adventures, epic battles, fun, some stakes, not ending stakes.

Koh

All my memories with halo has been at friends' houses with split screen (H1-H3). This is a good move. It really is a staple of the franchise.

hey
would you look at that
MS come over here check this out
suddenly Halo is back in my vernacular
suddenly I feel an urge to consider buying future Xbox platforms

see how easy that was oh my god
excuse my salt, but removing split-screen from Halo is like removing local play from Smash Bros... it's the literal definition of WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKIIIIING

If the cry babies stuck in the past have caused 60fps Halo on consoles to be a one off, I'm going to be extremely salty. >(

At least my salt makes sense, though. I'm stuck in the past because I enjoy playing with my family and friends together, in the same room, without having someone shell out a few more hundred bucks?
I hope you got torn up for this post, lmao.

Whatever, at least you really don't need to worry. I have no doubt that Halo is a 60fps franchise moving forward. Splitscreen in Halo 6 will run at 30fps on Xbox One and 60fps on Scorpio, and the rest of the game will run a smooth 60 on both platforms. I'd actually bet money on these things. And I guess that's worth it. I'd have taken a 30fps Halo 5 with splitscreen, with the promise of a future 60fps Halo 6 on Scorpio, over 60fps without splitscreen, but that's just me.

Probably gonna get knocked down to straight up 720p as well because of it. Which I believe will happen with a lot of XB1 games come next year to help them 'keep up' with the Scorpio version.

It's good to hear this, but fucking annoying that they didn't "get it" sooner. I say this as someone who bought, played and loved all Halo games because of split-screen co-op.

I wish they'd retrofit it into Halo 5.

robotrock

Banned
Very happy to hear this. My step brother and I used to play all the Halos together with splitscreen, so we were very sad when Halo 5 didn't support the same feature.

Head.spawn

There's a live stream but I can confirm.

Can you confirm if this hypothetical splitscreen Halo will be shown this year or next year?

I guess we can add Halo 6 to the list of games spoiled by listening to the community if this means no more 60fps.

I think the take away here is that there will be split screen, not that there won't be 60fps.

Now if it turned out that when you go into split screen that the frame rate is cut in half, that's just a concession that would be expected.

How I believe it should be handled:

60FPS Single-player and online multiplayer. 30 FPS split-screen co-op.

It's the perfect solution in my opinion. When the games were 30FPS single-player, the sacrifices for split-screen were ugly but understandable. (except Halo 4's removed background textures)
Now we can do split-screen whilst retaining most of the visual fidelity and maintaining a performance that's perfectly playable.

And watch! 343 will parade split screen as some "New Feature" when Halo 6 comes around, and the idiots at waypoint and r/Halo will eat it up.

Euron

Great news but is this only for multiplayer or is it also for campaign? And in regards to multiplayer, will it be local only or both local and online?

Bgamer90

Banned
Halo 5 would have had split-screen with infinite time. Games have to be built to schedule with finite resources. The story, for example in H5 would have been improved in split screen by communicating in the room with team mates who had different abilities and responsibilities in a level - but the split-screen was cut and that aspect of the story obviously gets lost in online one screen sessions.

Just a basic example.

Definitely understandable. I felt mixed on Halo 5 but this news (along with Scorpio interest) is already making me a bit pumped to see how Halo 6 will be. Looking forward to the reveal.

Akai__

Maybe you just need to get good at aiming.

Zeus is making garbage tier posts in the Halo OT, but this is where I have to agree with him, unfortunately.

The aiming in Halo 5 was garbage at launch and still is pretty awful. Nobody should have to to spend several days to find out what to set the values to. Even after the several updates, it's still nowhere near as it was in the H5 Beta or where other Halo games were. Literally nobody had an issue with aiming before and now our Halo threads were full of suitable aiming configurations.

That's not how it should be.

Madness

So basically the excuses they made concerning the feature being absent in halo 5 was bullshit then? Understood.

Tbh i skipped halo 5 entirely for that reason, so i'm glad to hear it's returning!

It's like you didn't read a single thing in the thread and OP. Damn. They said going forward any Halo FPS will have split screen. They tried to get it to work for H5 but could not with the time and resources available and the targets that needed to be set. As Frank said, with limitless time and resources they could do anything. What Bonnie said was that going forward they would ensure it isn't removed again much like their earlier promises for betas for Halo games after MCC.

If you skipped H5 altogether because of no split screen, I don't know what to say except you missed out.

daman824

I mean... I don't get why you would post this. It looks like they tried to get split screen in the final game but for one reason or another could not. Before the game released, they said there wouldn't be split screen at all. So they never tried to pull the wool over anyone.

Now it sounds like they've become more accustomed to the hardware and have figured out a way to implement it. They must be pretty confident because they straight up said EVERY fps halo from here on out will have it.

Zeus is making garbage tier posts in the Halo OT, but this is where I have to agree with him, unfortunately.

The aiming in Halo 5 was garbage at launch and still is pretty awful. Nobody should have to to spend several days to find out what to set the values to. Even after the several updates, it's still nowhere near as it was in the H5 Beta or where other Halo games were. Literally nobody had an issue with aiming before and now our Halo threads were full of suitable aiming configurations.

What you talking about, I haven't posted there in a minute

At least you see the truth

Everyone focusing on split screen are really missing the bigger picture.

The problem isn't the lack of split screen, the problem is 343 industries inability to know what features halo players expect from a Halo game.

It's multiple games now where they screw up something that they then end up fixing in the next one by listening to the community feedback. I mean, how many more times do we need to do this?

Didn't they hire developers that supposedly love halo? Which Halo games were they playing? Did I miss some? I'm genuinely still worried about Halo 6. Other than the core multiplayer gameplay, everything else is still very much in the air.

Everyone focusing on split screen are really missing the bigger picture.

The problem isn't the lack of split screen, the problem is 343 industries inability to know what features halo players expect from a Halo game.

It's multiple games now where they screw up something that they then end up fixing in the next one by listening to the community feedback. I mean, how many more times do we need to do this?

Didn't they hire developers that supposedly love halo? Which Halo games were they playing? Did I miss some? I'm genuinely still worried about Halo 6. Other than the core multiplayer gameplay, everything else is still very much in the air.
343 gave us a Custom Games Browser, something Bungie never gave us, and arguably the single greatest addition to Halo ever. It will only improve for Halo 6.
Or there will be riots.

Also Spectator Mode, something mostly the "niche" hardcore community were championing. Quit the hate and open your heart to the future.

Trup1aya

343 gave us a Custom Games Browser, something Bungie never gave us, and arguably the single greatest addition to Halo ever. It will only improve for Halo 6.
Or there will be riots.

Also Spectator Mode, something mostly the "niche" hardcore community were championing. Quit the hate and open your heart to the future.

Those are great additions. But it doesn't let 343 off the hook for Repeatedly removing key things that people want,

How is it the shipped halo4 and the MP wasn't even an arena shooter?

How'd they ship two mainline halo's without firefight?

How'd they ship H5 without BTB or Forge, no LAN support, no split screen and with only 3 Arena gametypes?

It's just weird that the "stewards" of Halo continuously demonstrate that they are completely out of touch with their base.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
A thought.

If only Scorpio is powerful enough to offer split screen and the feature is unavailable for OG owners, then technically she's not lying.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
A thought.

If only Scorpio is powerful enough to offer split screen and the feature is unavailable for OG owners, then technically she's not lying.

It wouldn't be the first time 343i weasel out of a comment because of a giant asterisk.

Ghandi

Banned
hey
would you look at that
MS come over here check this out
suddenly Halo is back in my vernacular
suddenly I feel an urge to consider buying future Xbox platforms

see how easy that was oh my god
excuse my salt, but removing split-screen from Halo is like removing local play from Smash Bros... it's the literal definition of WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKIIIIING

We all feel the salt.
Spread the gospel brother

Some people might think we few are in numbers but this is not the truth.

Spread the gospel for all our non-gaming-board-visiting-couch-coop-bretheren-and-sistren

Leyasu

Banned

The aiming in the beta was godly. In the full game I still can't get it right.

Top Bottom