• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bonnie Ross leaving 343 Industries due to family medical issues

IF ( big if ) it was a medical reason for her family, then I hope that person gets better.

Even though I honestly think this is just a cover up just to save face because she has a good relationship with MS in general.

But in terms of video games directing and stuff ? Thank fucking god she is out. Like bye bye bye
Why would she lie about medical condition of her family members?

She is a nice woman. Blaming her alone for 343s is incompetent work as a studio on Halo is dumb.

That studio will remain shit no matter who incharge.

Mr.ODST

Best of Luck to her and I hope the medical issue isn't severe.

Halo Infinite has the gameplay nailed down, it's just fun just all the tacked-on bullshit and issues that have plagued the backend of the game is what ruins the experience plus zero content.

Hopefully, we see improvements going forward, can only be suitable for 343i with a management shakeup

VAVA Mk2

“Medical Reasons”…. A week or so after announcing no split screen that pissed tons of fans off. I don’t think so…. Halo has been in decline for years….anybody thats in her role should have been restructured out after letting Halo brand fall so far…. for so long.
It was so bad that #firebonnieross was trending on social media. This was 100% a mercy firing. They let her word it to seem like she was graciously leaving. She isn't leaving. She is already gone. They likely did it on Friday and had this post prepared to go over the weekend.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I feel bad that she takes most of the criticism surrounding 343i when it's obviously not just her fault. It was always gonna be hard to live up to the original trilogy from bungie. The studio overall simply isn't as good as bungie and never were. You cant force something that ain't there.
we dont really want perfection like the bungie games we just want mere competence
infinite hasn't even demonstrated that, let alone 5, 4, or MCC when it first launched

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
a
Yeah I agree, but what do people want booty to do? get the whip out and start whipping devs? Forget crunch at bootytown u get whipped.

lOCVHfm.jpg
a bit extreme but no lol we just want him to set proper deadlines and have them settle on an actual vision for the games instead of have them hop from concept to concept with no true idea of what the game should be. If 343 did this for infinite the game would have come out in 2018 and it would have been far better with more content

Interfectum

The timing is suspect. 343 on fire and the CEO leaves for family reasons instead of getting fired.

My guess is both scenarios are true. She has a sick relative and she was about to get shitcanned. MS gave her an out that saves them the bad PR for firing a woman CEO.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
a

a bit extreme but no lol we just want him to set proper deadlines and have them settle on an actual vision for the games instead of have them hop from concept to concept with no true idea of what the game should be. If 343 did this for infinite the game would have come out in 2018 and it would have been far better with more content
That must mean Hulst and his predecessors are incompetent too then because there games saw delays too.
Also infinite is a great game.

Were the medical issues that they died of embarassment at the Halo Infinite reveal?

This is just a joke, I don't wish death or illness upon anyone and sincerely hope that the Ross family are all in good health

Lady Jane

Banned
She was the general manager from day 1. Her decisions, attitude, and work ethic trickled down the entire company. That's the power a leader has, especially if they started from the ground up. The damage seems to be so bad at 343 that I'm not sure if it's possible to repair the studio.

mortal

Gold Member
The general manager of a c-tier studio that Microsoft for some reason decided to give their premier IP to.
I don't think Microsoft initially hired her hoping she would intentionally mismanage 343i and the Halo IP.
They were foolish for keeping her on for as long as they did, but she isn't blameless considering it was her job to oversee it. Saying it's not her fault is rather silly.

Last edited:

NahaNago

For her family medical issues I hope everything turns our alright on her leaving though I kinda feel like she should have stepped down a little bit after the launch of infinite.

Tg89

I don't think Microsoft initially hired her hoping she would intentionally mismanage 343i and the Halo IP.
They were foolish for keeping her on for as long as they did, but she isn't blameless considering it was her job to oversee it. Saying it's not her fault is rather silly.
Not sure why we think she *intentionally* mismanaged the studio/ip. It seems like they did the best job that they could do, they just aren't that talented. That's on MS, should have picked a more appropriate team for the job.

At worst she accepted a role she knew she couldn't do properly. But if MS offers you a truckload of money, you take it and ride it out while you can.

Last edited:

Humdinger

This has probably been pointed out already, but she didn't say she was leaving 343 because of (or "due to") family health issues. She said she was leaving 343 and attending to family health issues. A lot of people are inferring a casual connection, but "and" does not mean "because of." Given the history of the studio, I think the "and attending to family medical issues" is a sympathetic pretext, rather than the actual cause. It is a face-saving maneuver.

Pelta88

This has probably been pointed out already, but she didn't say she was leaving 343 because of (or "due to") family health issues. She said she was leaving 343 and attending to family health issues.

It's the same difference. She got fired. We've all seen this exact same manoeuvre repeat to the point of exhaustion.

The "I'm leaving the team/ip in good hands and can't wait for you to see blah blah blah" is just as much a part of the PR as the opening statement.

mortal

Gold Member
Not sure why we think she *intentionally* mismanaged the studio/ip. It seems like they did the best job that they could do, they just aren't that talented. That's on MS, should have picked a more appropriate team for the job.

At worst she accepted a role she knew she couldn't do properly. But if MS offers you a truckload of money, you take it and ride it out while you can.
No one thinks she literally intentionally mismanaged things. I said that to illustrate that it wasn't the expectation of Microsoft to hire a "c-tier studio."
She shares in the responsibility and any consequences made from those decisions, good or bad. That's pretty much the point.

Taking a "truckload of money" is still a choice. Taking on the job regardless if you're qualified or not, is still a choice. So your arguments aren't exactly doing her any favors lol.

Last edited:

Dane

Tg89

No one thinks she literally intentionally mismanaged things. I said that to illustrate that it wasn't the expectation of Microsoft to hire a "c-tier studio."
She shares in the responsibility and any consequences made from those decisions, good or bad. That's pretty much the point.

Taking a "truckload of money" is still a choice. Taking on the job regardless if you're qualified or not, is still a choice. So your arguments aren't exactly doing her any favors lol.

It's a choice anyone with a brain would make. It's Microsoft's job to do the due diligence and ensure they're putting their IP in good hands.

Halo sucking post Bungie is entirely on Microsoft at this point. Not even like Infinite is 343s first attempt, they'd shown their capabilities twice already.

mortal

Gold Member
It's a choice anyone with a brain would make. It's Microsoft's job to do the due diligence and ensure they're putting their IP in good hands.

Halo sucking post Bungie is entirely on Microsoft at this point. Not even like Infinite is 343s first attempt, they'd shown their capabilities twice already.
Saying "it's a choice anyone with a brain would make" is not an argument in her favor.
We're going in circles here, this was already acknowledged. No one is even disagreeing that Microsoft isn't at fault, but you're adamant in absolving her specifically, which makes no sense considering her role at 343i.

Kvally

Banned
That studio will remain shit no matter who incharge.
And yet just pumped out a great game praised by media and gamers. I have 60 hours into the campaign without getting all the skulls and collectibles on my first play through. One of the best Halo games to date, campaign wise.

Goalus

Hope everything works out for her.

Not her fault that MS mishandled the IP.
I am pretty sure that it was her fault to a large degree. She stayed in her position as long as she did only because she is a woman and firing her would have resulted in bad publicity (because she is a woman).

Last edited:
Top Bottom