• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bonus Round - Is Time Running Out For Xbox?

Umm, it's $249 retail here, and you can easily find deals to get it for $179-199 constantly here... Not sure where you have it at $299... Unless you're talking about bundles.

Where does it retail for $249?

Right now it's on sale at Amazon for $290 (with Nintendoland) and on sale at Best Buy for $285. The retail price set by Nintendo is still $299. There has been no official price drop since it went from $349 to $299. I also pointed out you can buy a XBox 360 and PS3 for $199. I am not talking about deals, I am talking about retail prices set by the console providers. So yes, you are paying more for a Wii U.

IV Wolfe VI

Neo Member
Time isn't running out for Microsoft. People are making huge assumptions already. Playstation is off to a great start which is good. Microsoft May be slower to the start but I think the war is far from over. With kinect I enjoy the options it has such as the commands but beyond that it's useless until something good comes out of it.

With the amount of money Microsoft has and the success they have had in the past I don't see them dropping off. I also seem to remember this conversation in xbox 360 vs ps3 and they stayed great contenders.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
I always find the Pachter hate a bit baffling...generally I think he has pretty reasoned arguments.

Similar to Wii U in my opinion, albeit on a much different scale...the Xbox One is $100 more with a peripheral with seemingly no real legitimate function for most consumers when comparing against the PS4....factor in the cheaper price and stronger multi-platform titles, it's not confusing WHY MS is in position they are in...what is a bit surprising to me, though is how consumers have responded the way they have-which I'm pleased with. MS need to offer MUCH better value for their system if they're going to maintain price point and worse specs.

Only way a lot of us are "jumping in" is if they offer a SKU with higher clocked memory and processors(ala Apple)................short of that no thanks and no one is holding their breath for that kind of solution.

Bring on the steam machines I say

Time isn't running out for Microsoft. People are making huge assumptions already. Playstation is off to a great start which is good. Microsoft May be slower to the start but I think the war is far from over. With kinect I enjoy the options it has such as the commands but beyond that it's useless until something good comes out of it.

With the amount of money Microsoft has and the success they have had in the past I don't see them dropping off. I also seem to remember this conversation in xbox 360 vs ps3 and they stayed great contenders.

It doesn't matter how much money Microsoft has if the company doesn't have an appetite for spending billions more to turn the product around. MS wants to be in the reaping phase of the business which is why they'll be reluctant to loss-lead the hardware again.

The PS3 and 360 comparisons don't really apply. 360 had a 1 year lead, but basically as soon as PS3 became available it outsold the 360 every year worldwide, it just took a long time to ultimately overtake the Xbox.

Actually I said, "I don't remember the ps3 having this many doomed articles so early in it's life cycle." Which is quite a bit different.

The ps3 had Bobby Kotick coming out publicly calling for a price cut or activision might drop their support for the system/

Biker19

Banned
Your memory is off about this then. The press in general was way more negative on the PS3 than the Xbone. If anything, the majority of articles have been to downplay everything and offer every benefit of the doubt to the Xbone so far.

Indeed.

People that don't remember how crazy biased the media was for the xbox and against the PS3 just weren't around, or didn't watch The 1UP Show. :p The Xbone is getting treated with an extremely soft touch in comparison.

Thankfully, the gaming press are now waking up to the reality that Xbox One isn't exactly all that it's cracked up to be. Even Polygon has stopped defending Microsoft & Xbox One, & they usually spin things around in order to make Xbox One look good.

I think some of the people asking for kinect games are sort of being disingenuous anyway. I know I don't want any kinect games. I hope they continue to fail justifying its inclusion, lol.

Personally, I'm not too interested in another Kinect Sports or Dance Central game, but I do think there's still potential in Kinect gameplay that hasn't been sufficiently explored yet. Unfortunately, Fantasia looks like the only game that's even attempting to innovate with the Kinect at this point. Apart from that it all seems to be rehashes.

I'd like to say I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't done more to encourage devs to craft core gameplay around the Kinect, but I think they already did
(early Ryse)
and found that it just didn't work very well. I believe only very specific types of experiences, like rhythmic movements and sports-related motions, lend themselves to gameplay on the Kinect, and that's why it's been largely (if not completely) abandoned in games outside of fitness, sports minigames, and music.

When Microsoft's E3 press conference last year barely acknowledged the Kinect, I assumed that was their tacit admission that Kinect gaming is not a selling point of the Xbox One, which makes the forced bundling of it especially unappealing. I think the cost of a cheap mic would have been more desirable for many Xbox One owners who generally only use the Kinect for voice commands anyway.

Tsundere

Banned
Where does it retail for $249?

Right now it's on sale at Amazon for $290 (with Nintendoland) and on sale at Best Buy for $285. The retail price set by Nintendo is still $299. There has been no official price drop since it went from $349 to $299. I also pointed out you can buy a XBox 360 and PS3 for $199. I am not talking about deals, I am talking about retail prices set by the console providers. So yes, you are paying more for a Wii U.
http://m.bestbuy.ca/?lang=en#/catalog/productdetails.aspx?ajax=true&sku=10207621&lang=en-CA

Top Bottom