• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

BOOOOOOM-SHAKA-LAKA! EA ANNOUNCES NBA JAM

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Jul 31, 2007
39,660
0
0
The screenshots are confirming my hype. This is now my most wanted game of the year.
 

Bugbite

Banned
Feb 26, 2009
90
0
0
amtentori said:
Not agreeing or disagreeing.

Just mentioning that approachable art style does not mean condescendingly childish.
Wii sports= approachable
Family fun football = childish

Que? I think you're thinking about that Tecmo Football thread...

EDIT: Oh, okay, I get ya. Yes, that is what I meant by a non-threatening art style. Childish is as threatening to an adult as Madworld-style is to children. But this game looks to have the perfect art style for anyone involved. It's exaggerated, but looking at it, I don't get the feeling that the developers think I'm a moron.

When I first saw the cartoonish look of Grand Slam Tennis (that's the EA one, right?), it completely turned me off of the game. I understand that the Wii is underpowered compared to it's HD brethren, but don't for a second try to make me believe it's not capable of the graphics of last generation's tennis titles.
 

Indyana

Member
Sep 18, 2009
711
0
0
XiaNaphryz said:
So in this GameTrailers vid at around the 7:30 mark you can see some screenshots briefly.




These screenshots are so awesome that they deserve to be in the new page.

I need a video now!
 

Bear

Member
Nov 24, 2009
2,356
0
0
Canada
I thought the style sounded awful on paper, but god damn, that actually looks really good. Detailed and goofy and charming all rolled into one. They're kinda cheating on the first one, but considering it's the Wii it looks like the best way to pull it off. If it looks this good in motion, then their choice was right on the money.

EA +1
 

toxk_02

Black Republican
Jul 4, 2007
282
0
0
whitehawk said:
I'm just messing with XiaNaphryz.

I took the above screencaps and posted them somewhere else. XiaNaphryz also frequents said location and wanted to know where I had screencapped the images, then came straight here and reposted everything.
 

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Nov 5, 2005
52,171
0
0
SF Bay Area
toxk_02 said:
I'm just messing with XiaNaphryz.

I took the above screencaps and posted them somewhere else. XiaNaphryz also frequents said location and wanted to know where I had screencapped the images, then came straight here and reposted everything.
Awww, why'd you explain it? ;)
 

Tiktaalik

Member
Aug 6, 2004
12,870
0
1,430
Threi said:
I really need to see how this looks in motion.

Yeah I'm really curious. I read through the Nintendo Power article and it looked really good, but the art direction is so unique that I wonder if it'll work at all.
 

Oozer3993

Member
May 2, 2007
9,663
1
0
Cleveland
sportzhead said:
tralfazz said:
If we're throwing out hidden character wishes, how about Green Man, the TNT crew, and David Stern?

Plus Stuff, the Magic mascot better be in the game.

Listen to this man EA.

No Craig Sager and Barkley, no sale. Those 2 alone would make a day 1 purchase.
 

-KRS-

Member
Sep 9, 2009
4,872
0
0
Sweden
enlisy.com
Wow this looks awesome! I think this is the first time I've been interested in a sports game of any kind ever. Or at least the first in a long long time.

I never played the original NBA Jam games (mostly because I've never liked sports games and thought NBA Jam was just another in the bunch..) but now I realize that I've been missing out on a lot of fun.

Can't wait to see this in motion.

Why would you do that? said:
I just realized something...

Are the players even in 3D? They look like they're composed of 2D arms, legs, jerseys, etc. If so, that's pretty interesting, and I'd love to see that in motion.
Hmm thats an interesting observation. It could be from the looks of it. I would have to see it in motion to really know though.
 

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Jan 4, 2007
9,256
0
1,325
Why would you do that? said:
I just realized something...

Are the players even in 3D? They look like they're composed of 2D arms, legs, jerseys, etc. If so, that's pretty interesting, and I'd love to see that in motion.

Or it could just be that the 3D skins are actual photographs. Eh, I don't know, but you might be right.

Anyway, this looks fun. I'll need to see it in motion and learn more about the content, but I'm cautiously optimistic.
 

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Nov 5, 2005
52,171
0
0
SF Bay Area
tralfazz said:
If I had to guess, I'd say this will be demoed at All-Star Weekend in some capacity. Seems logical.
EA should also try to license MJ's Jam track for advertising for an awesome All-Star media blowout.
 
Jul 15, 2009
11,796
2
755
New York City
Kilrogg said:
Or it could just be that the 3D skins are actual photographs. Eh, I don't know, but you might be right.
I was thinking about that, but looking at this image specifically http://i49.tinypic.com/1zbe1wn.jpg it seems like it's all (or mostly) 2D. Their arms look a little weird, and I haven't been following sports games, but their hands look really good and detailed.

XiaNaphryz said:
EA should also try to license MJ's Jam track for advertising for an awesome All-Star media blowout.
When I read that, I read it as "Michael Jordan's [Space] Jam" and I got awesome vibes.
 

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Nov 5, 2005
52,171
0
0
SF Bay Area
Why would you do that? said:
When I read that, I read it as "Michael Jordan's [Space] Jam" and I got awesome vibes.
I know it likely won't happen due to increased license/royalty fees, but it would be awesome to have classic NBA players as options. Jordan was never in a NBA Jam game after all.
 

Bugbite

Banned
Feb 26, 2009
90
0
0
Why would you do that? said:
I was thinking about that, but looking at this image specifically http://i49.tinypic.com/1zbe1wn.jpg it seems like it's all (or mostly) 2D. Their arms look a little weird, and I haven't been following sports games, but their hands look really good and detailed.

I think the bodies are 3D. It's not like they're HD console amazing. I mean it only has to render four characters on screen. The background and goals look pre-rendered, so achieving this look with 3D models wouldn't be difficult.
 

IsntChrisL

Member
May 1, 2008
3,626
0
985
34
SoCal
This looks awesome. I wonder how much it will sell for though. Because I'd feel burnt if I got it for Wii for $50 and then it showed up on PSN later for $20.
 

Jaded Alyx

Member
Apr 17, 2007
19,834
4
1,330
Grenada
IsntChrisL said:
This looks awesome. I wonder how much it will sell for though. Because I'd feel burnt if I got it for Wii for $50 and then it showed up on PSN later for $20.
And how many times has that happened?
 

Nairume

Banned
Jan 19, 2010
7,343
0
0
Though I never bought the NBA Jam games as a kid, now's a better time than any to start.
 

IsntChrisL

Member
May 1, 2008
3,626
0
985
34
SoCal
Jaded Alyx said:
And how many times has that happened?

I didn't just say that for no reason. I said it because of an article that mentioned that it may appear on PSN/XBLA somewhere down the road.
 

Jin34

Member
Oct 24, 2009
4,380
0
0
IsntChrisL said:
I didn't just say that for no reason. I said it because of an article that mentioned that it may appear on PSN/XBLA somewhere down the road.

Game journos always say that about any Wii game they are interested.
 

AceBandage

Banned
Mar 22, 2007
35,547
0
0
Looks a billion times better than I gave EA credit for.
Hopefully it doesn't completely fail on the content front, though.
 

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Nov 5, 2005
52,171
0
0
SF Bay Area
cacildo said:
Keep it simple, sure. But im in for a hidden motion plus only mode.

1:1 motion control for jump shots/dunks?



AceBandage said:
Indeed, they did.
Did you not see the meltdowns and bannings in the first few pages?
There's been bans throughout this whole thread. ;P
 

Bugbite

Banned
Feb 26, 2009
90
0
0
Jin34 said:
Game journos always say that about any Wii game they are interested.

I find that a little insulting to be honest.

"Yeah, that retail Wii game looks good. Good enough to be a downloadable title on my REAL gaming system, am I right guys?" *high fives frat boy friends*
 

evangd007

Member
Jun 27, 2009
2,921
20
1,005
Jaded Alyx said:
IsntChrisL said:
This looks awesome. I wonder how much it will sell for though. Because I'd feel burnt if I got it for Wii for $50 and then it showed up on PSN later for $20.
And how many times has that happened?

Madden 10 Wii --> Madden Arcade?