• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boot order question concerning my new PC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodcow

Alright, so all the parts arrived, and everything I want from my old PC is in the new one...

The drive situation is as follows:
Serial ATA -> Raptor 74 (unformatted)
CD-R -> Master, IDE1
DVD-R -> Slave, IDE1
WD120 IDE -> PCI Card slot 1 master (Windows XP installed)
IBM IDE -> PCI Card slot 2 master (data)

Now, if I boot with everything attached except the HD with WinXP already installed (I'm going to reinstall XP anyway), everything seems to work and be detected, and it says there's no boot device. (obviously)

My questions are though, when I install XP on the Raptor, and then reconnect the WD120 drive:

a) Will there be a conflict?
b) Serial ATA automatically takes dominance over IDE, right?
c) Even so, will the PCI card override the Serial ATA since it happens after the BIOS detects connected drives?

I just want to make sure I can install XP on the Raptor, and then connect the old WD120 drive again, and everything will be smooth with no data loss.

Thanks in advance.

goodcow

The Faceless Master said:
i'm pretty sure the boot sector on one of those drives will be screwed if yu boot up with both of them installed

Hmm... so if I boot the new system with an unformatted Raptor, and the WD120 connected, it'll boot XP fine, detect the new hardware, and then I can do a backup?

xsarien

daedsiluap
I'm really lost.

The easiest thing to do is to put the operating system on an IDE drive on the primary controller, save the SATA drive for what really matters: Actual data.

Put the CD and DVD drives on the seperate controllers, the hard drives can both be on the same IDE channel with one as the slave without a problem, there will be a SLIGHT performance hit because of that, but nothing you should notice.

Now, make sure the drive with XP installed is the master, and you'll be set.

goodcow

Well the reason I was using a PCI card for the two IDE hard drives before was I think because it was faster than the controller on my old motherboard. Now, I guess I'm afraid to really boot that main drive without using that controller.

Also, the new motherboard and case make for a really, really tight fit and it's hard to get to the IDE connections which are on the side for some reason... so I'd rather leave those plugged into the card, just because it's so much easier to reach it.

I was also going to just reinstall XP and use the Raptor primarily for my OS and program files... the 120 was now going to be my data drive, and my 200 firewire as extra data and backup for the 120.

I did boot XP fine though on the new system with the PCI card and WD120 drive, but with the Raptor drive unattached. I guess I'll just backup the data to my firewire drive now with WinRAR, format both the WD120 and Raptor, and reinstall XP on the Raptor.

xsarien

daedsiluap
goodcow said:
Well the reason I was using a PCI card for the two IDE hard drives before was I think because it was faster than the controller on my old motherboard. Now, I guess I'm afraid to really boot that main drive without using that controller.

Also, the new motherboard and case make for a really, really tight fit and it's hard to get to the IDE connections which are on the side for some reason... so I'd rather leave those plugged into the card, just because it's so much easier to reach it.

I was also going to just reinstall XP and use the Raptor primarily for my OS and program files... the 120 was now going to be my data drive, and my 200 firewire as extra data and backup for the 120.

The OS drive will boot fine with the primary IDE controller on the system board, if managing (wrestling) with the IDE cables is an issue, take a quick trip to CompUSA and pick up some Antec rounded IDE cables, they're a lifesaver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom