• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Booting PS3 without an HDD

My PS3 slim laser/disc reader is starting hick up a bit, no disc read errors but a lot of strange sounds and dual layer discs can't be read until a few tries. Soon it's going to die off. I'd like to get it fixed before the big PS3 games from this year's end come out then move into next-gen.

I found a workshop that I can trust that will fix the PS3 for a relatively cheap price, but instead of deactivating the accounts, deleting everything, changing passwords etc I was thinking of just taking out the HDD.

What will remain on the console? What happens if you boot it up without an HDD, what do you see? Can you get anything out of it without an HDD? Is taking it out actually a feasible solution?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
PS3 requires a HDD. Why would you want to take out the HDD? Just remove the passwords if you don't trust them.

But you say you trust them, so I don't really understand this

My PS3 slim laser/disc reader is starting hick up a bit, no disc read errors but a lot of strange sounds and dual layer discs can't be read until a few tries. Soon it's going to die off. I'd like to get it fixed before the big PS3 games from this year's end come out then move into next-gen.

I found a workshop that I can trust that will fix the PS3 for a relatively cheap price, but instead of deactivating the accounts, deleting everything, changing passwords etc I was thinking of just taking out the HDD.

What will remain on the console? What happens if you boot it up without an HDD, what do you see? Can you get anything out of it without an HDD? Is taking it out actually a feasible solution?
Use the back-up feature maybe? Then format your console's HDD.

If they've done a significant amount of work with the PS3s before, they should have a spare drive to format and work with on-hand.

You should probably know that your user info and PSN accounts is stored in firmware, however. So even if you remove the hard drive, it will remember your PSN login credentials (you could just untick "remember my password" though, and most of your problems would be solved)....

I don't know if any personal information will remain on the internal flash, but why are you deleting account ts and stuff to get it fixed? You said you could trust them...

If you want to sell the PS3 in the future, IIRC part of the firmware resides on the hard drive, so that won't allow you to go far at all.

GameE

This reminds me, Im out of space on my HDD....
Can I use an external hard drive to get more space? I literally know nothing about tech and hardware stuff.

Persona7

Banned
If they've done a significant amount of work with the PS3s before, they should have a spare drive to format and work with on-hand.

You should probably know that your user info and PSN accounts is stored in firmware, however. So even if you remove the hard drive, it will remember your PSN login credentials (you could just untick "remember my password" though, and most of your problems would be solved)....

If they put in a different drive the original drive with all the data will become useless. The new drive will link to the system.

hachi

Banned
Saying "an HDD" is perfectly fine.

That's why I asked how it's being said. If you're pronouncing the letters, then yes. But if you're saying the words "hard drive" when read, then no. And I find it odd that one would say "HDD" aloud when "hard drive" is actually less syllables.

That's why I asked how it's being said. If you're pronouncing the letters, then yes. But if you're saying the words "hard drive" when read, then no. And I find it odd that one would say "HDD" aloud when "hard drive" is actually less syllables.
You should actually be saying hard disk drive since hard drive could refer to both an HDD and an SSD. I actually say HDD instead of hard disk drive or simply hard drive when I'm not making a distinction between what kind of drive it is. Just storage in general.

Neff

Buy a new laser mechanism, fit it yourself. It's quite easy to do, will definitely be cheaper than having it repaired, and you'll keep your PS3 contents secure.

hachi

Banned
You should actually be saying hard disk drive since hard drive could refer to both an HDD and an SSD. I actually say HDD instead of hard disk drive or simply hard drive when I'm not making a distinction between what kind of drive it is.

Okay then--makes sense. "An" is appropriate in that case, saying the letters aloud. Although "HDD" is still no savings of syllables even over the full "hard disk drive," I do see that it flows better.

If you're gonna be a grammar Nazi, try and be right at the very least.

If you're going to overreact, see first if I actually made a correction in my post, or if I instead only highlighted something and asked a follow-up question. My surprise was of course only that one would say H-D-D aloud, which the use of 'an' indicated. The answer, it turns out, is yes.

If you're going to overreact, see first if I actually made a correction in my post, or if I instead only highlighted something and asked a follow-up question. My surprise was of course only that one would say HDD aloud, which the use of 'an' indicated. The answer, it turns out, is yes.

The first comment sounded like you were pulling him up on his grammar and following it up with a sarcastoc question :p

No harm, no foul. Shake hands?

BibiMaghoo

OP, DO NOT REMOVE THE HDD WITHOUT BACKING UP FIRST!!

Or you will lose everything on it when you put it back in. Removing the HDD forces an automatic format when reinserted.

Back up then wipe. Or just send it and don't be a pussy about it. They are trust worthy, or they are not.

Or you will lose everything on it when you put it back in. Removing the HDD forces an automatic format when reinserted.

Back up then wipe. Or just send it and don't be a pussy about it. They are trust worthy, or they are not.

Really? I will just go with the remove passwords route then. Thanks for that, I was planning on removing it.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
What exactly do you think they are going to do to it that requires the HDD hassle? lol.

Just change your PSN password or remove it so no one can log in and spend your money, I can't see what anyone would get from looking at your save files and such like unless you have stuff on there you don't want people to see?

Im pretty sure you can take out a HDD back in the same PS3, nothing will happen because the HDD encryption is set by that PS3, a different PS3 HDD would use a different key and as such would be formatted.

Top Bottom