• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 4 Teased by Gearbox Boss Randy Pitchford

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

If you aren't one of Pitchford's 720,000 followers, what you missed is that he tweeted about the new Unreal Engine 5 demo that dropped this week. To this end, he says "you can see clearly that this engine was built for a new kind of next-generation Borderlands game." What this means exactly, isn't really clear.

That said, and as noted, based on the initial tease, you'd assume this is another tease for Borderlands 4. However, the specific use of "a new kind of next-generation Borderlands" game does suggest the game will be possibly experimental, which in turn suggests a spin-off.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Aww man. I really tried to like BL but it just wasn't for me. I'm disappointed that Gearbox didn't grab ahold of a new concept and game and make something original. They remind me of iD. Always making iteration after iteration of the same game.

MiguelItUp

It's a shame that they're such a one trick pony these days.

I really couldn't careless about that series, but I assume there's still a fanbase for it, though I feel like BL3 came and went with the quickness.

Holammer

Love me some Borderlands, I even enjoyed the story in the pre-sequel and the ending was beautiful. So I grabbed BL3 at release (Steam release, of course!). I was so disappointed in the story I only played it for 10 hours and I struggle to give it another go.
The antagonists are so incredibly unlikable I simply cannot bring myself to play it. Big shoes to fill after Handsome Jack, I get it.

dorkimoe

It's a shame that they're such a one trick pony these days.

I really couldn't careless about that series, but I assume there's still a fanbase for it, though I feel like BL3 came and went with the quickness.
Yeah, I agree. I loved this franchise but 3 didnt add anything new that i can remember. It needs NEW gameplay mechanics or something.

CamHostage

Already ? Will this mean they will be making Borderlands a semiannual franchise ?
No, it was I'm pretty certain it was a joke. UE5's demo was built as just massive miles of sun-blasted desert wasteland, exactly what you run around in for the most part in Borderlands.

QV8bbtp.jpg

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I only played part 1 single player which was good. Played part 2 and Pre Sequel single player and coop. Such a difference to play with a good friend.

Havent really played 3 that much yet.

anthony2690

Banned
After bl3 I can't imagine I'll ever buy or play another bl game again.

I purchased the super deluxe edition too and I can't even bring myself to play the dlc, I forced myself through the main game in the end too.

Huge shame, as I loved bl2 & it's dlc on the 360, maybe I'm just sick of looter shooters.

xrnzaaas

No thanks, with how B3 got woke in addition to having awful villains and making things tougher for lone wolves I'm not interested in B4 from the same team.

I don’t agree with all the BF3 criticism. Sure, it wasn’t that ambitious in trying something different (after such a long wait from BF2) but for what it offers it’s a very good game. It really is.

Gunplay and guns overall are sublime, worlds are great, quests - some better, some worse and I still mostly dig that humor. At least this series has it unlike 90% of other games.

Trying the game during 1$ PS Now promotion probably skewed my opinion compared to day 1 purchasers, I went into it without much expectations.

They should upgrade that graphic style though, it’s borderline unwatchable at times.

kiphalfton

They took too long to release BL3, that by the time they did release it I think the hype died down enough that people didn't care as much.

T-Cake

probably my most played series and BL2 is still one of the best of all time but other series have FINALLY replicated and surpassed them. My interest has dwindled after the debacle of 3, but im sure there are still millions who will want another one.
What do you reckon is better? I might discover something new to play.

CitizenZ

Banned
What do you reckon is better? I might discover something new to play.

I think both Remnant from the Ashes and Outsiders nailed the concept. I have always said a shooter/ loot genre is one of the hardest to pull off and both succeeded. im more excited for their future than another BLs.

fermcr

Borderlands 3 got boring after a while. This series needs to rest for some time...

I would prefer Mad Max 2 by Avalanche then a new Borderlands by Gearbox.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i like BL3 tbh,i think its an improvement over BL2 interms of gameplay, even the story and class a bit shite.

G-Bus

Banned
Played a good 80+ hours if BL3 with a friend.

Zero interest in playing anymore BL. Mixing it up and doing something a bit different might get me to bite

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Aww man. I really tried to like BL but it just wasn't for me. I'm disappointed that Gearbox didn't grab ahold of a new concept and game and make something original. They remind me of iD. Always making iteration after iteration of the same game.
Let's see:
1999: Quake 3 Arena - multiplayer game
2004: Doom 3 - corridor horror shooter
2011: Rage - Open World shooter
2016: Doom - balls to the wall fast paced shooter
2020: Doom Eternal: 2nd balls to the shooter

How in the goddamn fuck does that qualify as "iteration after iteration" of the same game? Pretty much every game id has made aside from Doom and Doom 2 has had their own fucking identity.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Let's see:
1999: Quake 3 Arena - multiplayer game
2004: Doom 3 - corridor horror shooter
2011: Rage - Open World shooter
2016: Doom - balls to the wall fast paced shooter
2020: Doom Eternal: 2nd balls to the shooter

How in the goddamn fuck does that qualify as "iteration after iteration" of the same game? Pretty much every game id has made aside from Doom and Doom 2 has had their own fucking identity.
Rage was a failure. It was the only real unique IP that's different from DOOM/Quake. ID Software made Quake way back in the day so I consider those two franchises to be the targets they reiterated on.

What we are seeing now is DOOM, DOOM, DOOM, QUAKE, DOOM, DOOM, QUAKE..

If we are going to wait 6yrs for a new game from iD. I'd rather it be a different game entirely from what they've worked on before since the 90s. That's all I'm saying.

Btw, iD is not alone. I'm tired of the AC, COD, BF franchises too.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Rage was a failure. It was the only real unique IP that's different from DOOM/Quake. ID Software made Quake way back in the day so I consider those two franchises to be the targets they reiterated on.

If we are going to wait 6yrs for a new game from iD. I'd rather it be a different game entirely from what they've worked on before since the 90s. That's all I'm saying.

This such a stupid post. We are not seeing "DOOM, DOOM, DOOM, QUAKE, DOOM, DOOM, QUAKE.."

We've had two fucking Dooms and they have been masterpieces. After 2016 people were craving for more and they delivered. We've had 3 Doom games in the past 20 years. I can't count how many other series have had many times more games than them.

To say "They remind me of iD. Always making iteration after iteration of the same game." Is pure trash. There are so many other studios series that you could put ahead of id. Plus, the last two Doom games were very well received and there was definitely a craving for more.

They just need to go back and copy everything that Borderlands 2 did. 3 really messed up what worked. Borderlands 1 lacked the personality to stand beside the other two.

CamHostage

That model of a development studio innovating when it already has working hits is harder to make work these days. (Or at least there are few publishers with that long view of diversification when the money is already rolling in.) Companies with a franchise work and rework that franchise until it doesn't work anymore (if you're lucky, you can create something brand new within the brand, like the AC Origins line or God of War Reboot or a new Tomb Raider,) and companies without a franchise try to make one until they die trying. In a good circumstance, you get to make a milestone change and in between projects try a Starfield or a Deathloop (although I think that's more a case of Arkane still being in that second category of looking for a franchise, as Dishonored has not yet proven to be evergreen,) but at today's budgets and development timelines, those projects are a rare gift. Look at what Santa Monica couldn't do with the Stig project, look at what Sony Bend is rumored to be doing despite the okay success of Days Gone (really, they're going back to before, just without a PSP/Vita to do it on,) look at what Rocksteady is doing even after blockbuster success with Arkham.

Bethesda didn't by id for its innovation, they bought it for its tech and for its brands, and if they can innovate within those brands, great, but new IP is kind of the backup plan there, not the prime directive.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
This such a stupid post. We are not seeing "DOOM, DOOM, DOOM, QUAKE, DOOM, DOOM, QUAKE.."

We've had two fucking Dooms and they have been masterpieces. After 2016 people were craving for more and they delivered. We've had 3 Doom games in the past 20 years. I can't count how many other series have had many times more games than them.

To say "They remind me of iD. Always making iteration after iteration of the same game." Is pure trash. There are so many other studios series that you could put ahead of id. Plus, the last two Doom games were very well received and there was definitely a craving for more.
Chill man. Its just a post. No need to get mad. Get glad tupperware.

That being said. You can get mad at me too if you want. Before you do, have sex with your wife and grab a stressball to let your frustrations out.

VFXVeteran

Banned
That model of a development studio innovating when it already has working hits is harder to make work these days. (Or at least there are few publishers with that long view of diversification when the money is already rolling in.) Companies with a franchise work and rework that franchise until it doesn't work anymore (if you're lucky, you can create something brand new within the brand, like the AC Origins line or God of War Reboot or a new Tomb Raider,) and companies without a franchise try to make one until they die trying. In a good circumstance, you get to make a milestone change and in between projects try a Starfield or a Deathloop (although I think that's more a case of Arkane still being in that second category of looking for a franchise, as Dishonored has not yet proven to be evergreen,) but at today's budgets and development timelines, those projects are a rare gift. Look at what Santa Monica couldn't do with the Stig project, look at what Sony Bend is rumored to be doing despite the okay success of Days Gone (really, they're going back to before, just without a PSP/Vita to do it on,) look at what Rocksteady is doing even after blockbuster success with Arkham.

Bethesda didn't by id for its innovation, they bought it for its tech and for its brands, and if they can innovate within those brands, great, but new IP is kind of the backup plan there, not the prime directive.
Thanks for a nice healthy response. I get what you are saying and agree. I just personally would like to see more original IPs. Some of the best companies out there are taking that chance (like GG did with Horizon) and that separates a company from good to best. Same with ND - they are moving to a new IP. And of course Starfield by Bethesda. It's just refreshing to see new stories, new gameplay mechanics, etc.. with new IPs.

Last edited:

Graciaus

Hopefully they listen to fan feedback since 3 was a huge step back. It was the only one in the series I only played once and I barely wanted to finish that playthrough.

Top Bottom