• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boston police close river, bridges in possible college hoax

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemax

Banned
As if Boston hadn't done enough to prove it was a city full of obnoxious, insufferable asshats, now they have to go and do this.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
If I lived anywhere close to Boston, I would be at this protest. I can't ****ing believe they actually are going to prosecute this guy. I hate hyperbole, but America am doomed.

Phoenix said:
Posted on Adult Swim website.

012907_covers_04.jpg

I'm disappointed.

Absolutely no apology from Adult Swim is necessary over this. They did nothing wrong or out of the ordinary.

It's the pigs running Boston who should be apologizing.

Thaedolus said:
If I lived anywhere close to Boston, I would be at this protest. I can't ****ing believe they actually are going to prosecute this guy. I hate hyperbole, but America am doomed.

'fraid so. At this point, if the meteors/nukes/floods/what-have-you descended on us, I'd probably be cheering. This country no longer deserves its freedom if this is the way its governments are going to act. Bring on the apocalypse.

edit: also, Thaedolus, check page 4 for contact information for the governor and mayor. You can call/mail them even if you're out of state. I'm going to.

dkeane

Thaedolus said:
It's totally insane. As a grad from MassArt this is really nuts. People always did installations and public art projects. It's ****ed up that mumbles and Patrick react like this. Although I'm really not shocked at all.

Here's alink to the boston.com message board. Some good stuff in there:
http://boards.boston.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=591&nav=messages&webtag=bc-news&tid=11780

studio810 said:
It's totally insane. As a grad from MassArt this is really nuts. People always did installations and public art projects. It's ****ed up that mumbles and Patrick react like this. Although I'm really not shocked at all.

hate to be a broken mp3, but contact information is on page 4. let them know how you feel. go to the protest if you're in boston.

if they take enough heat, we can make them back down :)

ZeoVGM

Banned
bluemax said:
As if Boston hadn't done enough to prove it was a city full of obnoxious, insufferable asshats, now they have to go and do this.

Uh, no.

Yeah, this is Boston. All of Boston.

Newsflash! This has nothing to do with Boston. Boston just HAPPENED to be the city that this happened to first. If they were found and reported in NYC or LA like they were reported in Boston, the reaction would have been indentical.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Greenpanda said:
'fraid so. At this point, if the meteors/nukes/floods/what-have-you descended on us, I'd probably be cheering. This country no longer deserves its freedom if this is the way its governments are going to act. Bring on the apocalypse.

edit: also, Thaedolus, check page 4 for contact information for the governor and mayor. You can call/mail them even if you're out of state. I'm going to.

I'll be writing them a letter as soon as possible. My schedule is pretty full up till Sunday though, so here's hoping I find time.

Thaedolus said:
I'll be writing them a letter as soon as possible. My schedule is pretty full up till Sunday though, so here's hoping I find time.

Sweet :) I'm gonna do it tomorrow, hopefully ... I'll post it here when I'm done

Flynn

omg rite said:
Uh, no.

Newsflash! This has nothing to do with Boston. Boston just HAPPENED to be the city that this happened to first. If they were found and reported in NYC or LA like they were reported in Boston, the reaction would have been indentical.

They were found in those cities already and people just shrugged and went about their day.

White Man

I hope whoever originally reported this shit comes forward. If anyone should be in trouble, it's them. If the dude they arrested gets convicted of anything, it's the civil duty of folks in Boston to set the god damned place on fire.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Flynn said:
They were found in those cities already and people just shrugged and went about their day.

As did 99% of people in Boston.

And let's be honest, if you see something like that on a ****ing bridge and you've never heard of ATHF, some people might be a little freaked out.

White Man

omg rite said:

And let's be honest, if you see something like that on a ****ing bridge and you've never heard of ATHF, some people might be a little freaked out.

Once again, I live in a city. I see many strange things around in the city as I walk around. I, however, am not retarded enough to think anything odd is a bomb.

pollo

Banned
umm Im in Boston..no one here was freaked out. But if they were, they had a right to be. I mean jesus some of these things were placed under a ****ing bridge. That seems pretty suspect to me.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
omg rite said:

you're insane if you think people are justified in getting freaked out over this. what's next, calling in bomb scares because you saw a missing-dog flyer outside a bank? "it was written in what could be Arabic-- authorities are investigating whether there is a link between Lucky, the 3 legged dog, and Al Qaeda. We will keep you apprised of the situation as developments occur...."

anyways, this is arguably the funniest news story this century. :lol I'm with George Carlin here... America is circling the drain.

bluemax

Banned
omg rite said:
Uh, no.

Uh no. They put them up in LA and no one said anything. Being someone who lives in LA I can guess what most peope's reaction would be if they saw them "Hmm, what's that? Must be a promotion for some movie or tv show."

SuperPac

This is completely unbelievable. Shocking that an arrest's been made and they're going ahead with charges. I guess this is what would've happened had those Mario '?' blocks from a year ago been put up in a major city, eh? Wow. I hope Turner pays the guy's legal fees...this is ridiculous.

Grecco

pollo said:
umm Im in Boston..no one here was freaked out. But if they were, they had a right to be. I mean jesus some of these things were placed under a ****ing bridge. That seems pretty suspect to me.

They look nothing like bombs or IEDS.. unless bombs flip you the bird while they blow up.

This just in, while sweeping the area for any other foreign objects, police found and detonated a suspicious object located under one of the same bridges.

It was later discovered to be a hobo, jerking himself off to the Sears catalogue. A local woman was arrested for creating the foreign object. She will be executed at dawn, in order to preserve freedom.

May16

UPDATE:
"The Moon Rules, #1" keyed into the sides of hundreds of cars.

I'm kidding, in case anyone was wondering

Phoenix

Greenpanda said:
I'm disappointed.

Absolutely no apology from Adult Swim is necessary over this. They did nothing wrong or out of the ordinary.

It's the pigs running Boston who should be apologizing.

Nah, Adult Swim did the proper and correct thing in this regard. It may help them smooth over things and table any legal action to some simple monetary payment.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
The main issue here is that the Boston PD closed down a bunch of services and transportation and escalated an alert without f*cking showing anyone what exactly they found so they could look out for it. If they had done that, this whole thing would have been over in 10 minutes.

If they *had* been bombs, people would have been f*cked because they wouldn't know what the hell to run away from.

That's the central f*ck-up here. You don't tell the public there could be bombs and then say "...Just guess what they look like! Check back in a couple hours to see if you got the right answer!"

Flynn

pollo said:

This whole thing is starting to make sense.

Greenpanda said:

what the **** are you? 13?

Grow up, for christs sake...

Shig said:
The main issue here is that the Boston PD closed down a bunch of services and transportation and escalated an alert without f*cking showing anyone what exactly they found so they could look out for it. If they had done that, this whole thing would have been over in 10 minutes.

If they *had* been bombs, people would have been f*cked because they wouldn't know what the hell to run away from.

That's the central f*ck-up here. You don't tell the public there could be bombs and then say "...Just guess what they look like! Check back in a couple hours to see if you got the right answer!"

Bingo.

What should of happened

Someone reported a bomb under a bridge that looks like a crude drawling with his middle finger up boss.

Let me see a picture of it.

Here.

What the heck is that. Take a look at this Dave.

HAHAHAHA! That's not a bomb, that the guy from this show my son and I like to watch on Cartoon Network.

Oh! False alarm, lets all go back to taking about how the Red Sox can't beat the Yankees.

White Man

As has been pointed out elsewhere, this is a failure of the system any way you look at it, no matter which side you are on.

1) Some paranoid dipshit disrupted the entire city over an advertisement.
2) Even if these WERE bombs, they would've exploded approximately 3 weeks ago. Terrorists wouldn't put 3 week timers on bombs in plain site.

So basically, our bullshit government's emphasis on terrorizing its own citizens looks foolish in any light. Not only are people seeing bombs where there are none, but they are reporting them 3 weeks too late.

Trakdown

White Man said:
As has been pointed out elsewhere, this is a failure of the system any way you look at it, no matter which side you are on.

1) Some paranoid dipshit disrupted the entire city over an advertisement.
2) Even if these WERE bombs, they would've exploded approximately 3 weeks ago. Terrorists wouldn't put 3 week timers on bombs in plain site.

So basically, our bullshit governments emphasis on terrorizing its own citizens looks foolish in any light. Not only are people seeing bombs where there are none, but they are reporting them 3 weeks too late.

You can also throw in Berdovsky's arrest as a failure. I'm assuming they're going to go to court over this, which is ridiculous. There's no motive other than the guy doing his job. This isn't a hoax by any means- you can't tell me the ad company wanted people to think these things were bombs - so hopefully, in a court of law, this won't fly. It's a gross misunderstanding by the local authorities.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
As Bush would say, we're not yet safe, but we're safer.

Why is it that whole "the terrorists can't be allowed to change the way we live" thing was only ever applied to capitalist enterprises?

White Man

Trakdown said:
You can also throw in Berdovsky's arrest as a failure. I'm assuming they're going to go to court over this, which is ridiculous. There's no motive other than the guy doing his job. This isn't a hoax by any means- you can't tell me the ad company wanted people to think these things were bombs - so hopefully, in a court of law, this won't fly. It's a gross misunderstanding by the local authorities.

Oh man, if they stick that poor patsy with any conviction, there had better be riots on the streets of Boston.

Aaron

White Man said:
Oh man, if they stick that poor patsy with any conviction, there had better be riots on the streets of Boston.
Having suffered jury duty in Boston, I can't imagine this ending up as a convinction. The judge will probably be annoyed just to be called in on this one. The only reason they're threatening legal action at all is to cover their fool asses.

White Man

Aaron said:
Having suffered jury duty in Boston, I can't imagine this ending up as a convinction. The judge will probably be annoyed just to be called in on this one. The only reason they're threatening legal action at all is to cover their fool asses.

I dunno, I'd be kinda shocked if they didn't find some bum ambiguous clause in the Patriot Act to stick to him.

Aaron

White Man said:
I dunno, I'd be kinda shocked if they didn't find some bum ambiguous clause in the Patriot Act to stick to him.
It doesn't matter what clause or offense they stick him with. If it's trial by jury, the suspects will walk, and the people laying down the charges know it. It's all just posturing until the incident blows over. When it goes to court, no one is going to care anymore, and so it would effect any elections.

Sanjuro

White Man said:
That only happens when we win an ALCS against the Yankees.

Flynn

My dream:

Young Americans in every city, state and county respond to the arrest of Peter Berdovsky and Sean Stevens by plastering their hometowns with images of the Mooninites.

Do we even do solidarity in this country?

Woakes

I suppose when you think triangles have four sides it's quite reasonable to mistake an advertisment for a bomb.

bumpkin

I'm sure it's already been said, but as a New Hampshire resident, I have to take my pot shot... Why does Boston think they're special? This same advertising stunt was done in other cities like New York and Los Angeles, and they didn't tweak out the way Boston did.

Whiney paranoid Massholes. :lol

Flynn

I just called the Boston mayor's office and politely told them that I thought that the arrests were a mistake.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
For anyone unfamiliar with Mayor Mumbles (Menino), this is a guy that also attempted to "bill" Sony for causing disruption at Copley Place for PS3 launch (people waiting to get into Sony Style).

blayne IV

I hope like like hell they have the balls to create an episode about this. They should use bits a pieces of actual news clips that were shown.

If anything they should run it before the movie.

aoi tsuki

Not watcing tv FTL. i caught a blurn on Turner and Cartoon Network and a bomb scare on NPR yesterday but didn't follow up. Holy shit.

PS. IT ISNT A AD CAMPAIGN THAT ****ING BACKFIRED! I hate my fellow Bostonians.
i'm surprised more people didn't note this. The concept is no different than the "racist" PSP ads. If they've been up there for weeks without much attention, i wouldn't be terribly surprised if someone connected to the ad agency actually called in as "a concerned citizen".

As if they didn't already, Cartoon Network gets a million geek points for this, as well as infecting millions of people aged 30 and up with their first taste of ATHF.

gigapower

Why in the hell would "terrorist" want their bombs to glow for people to find them? I think common sense left this country a long time ago.-

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The arrest of the artist seems more like retribution for making the whole City look like idiots than anything. He didn't place those mini signs with intent too "terrorize". They may have arrested him but I don't think they have a case to pursue with him.

I would liken this to graffiti than anything. Its all totally retarded and Boston is going to be the center of jokes about this for a long long time.

Javaman

White Man said:

Not related to the patriot act, but what about trespassing charges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom