• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

British man charged after US gamer is shot by Swat police following hoax call

Slayven

Well, whatever. Not gonna argue with RantGAF, but at least people know that he wasn't shot in the face while sleeping.

Wasn't in his bed.

How dare the hivemind gaf think a person should be able to at peace in his house, the police should charge him for the bullet.

Socivol

Those officers should be charged too. Why the hell would they shoot because they got a call that something was happening? Did they not assess the situation first or just run in and immediately shot this man? Either way, completely unprofessional.

The victim is extremely lucky they were only rubber bullets, Christ. Like the first post said, toss the book at the assholes responsible for it happening, throw the book at the trigger-happy responders and hope this guy isn't physically or mentally traumatized for life because of this.

Whoever came up with "swatting" is a prick. Everyone following in their footsteps are just as awful.

How can you understand that when there's no evidence at all that there was a dangerous situation at the house. There was literally the home owner saying WTF are you talking about. They didn't even need to investigate everything was laid out in front of them and they still fucked up.

Because assessing the threat before responding would have apparently meant cooperating with a foreign government?

Wow @ the SWAT team. I guess they'll just believe anything an anonymous person tells them over the phone.

Also, lol @ redshirt for ranting about rantGAF.

Zakalwe

Banned
This anti-police sentiment is one of the worst things to come out of our generation, and that's saying something

If you don't think there are inherent problems with the police force in America, then you're absolutely deluded.

You can acknowledge this and not hate all cops, you know?

Can't you guys see you're being unfair to the cops who shot a sleeping man in the face? You guys! Calm down...

Seriously though rubber bullets are still pretty dangerous aren't they? Especially in close range?

Piggus

Can't you guys see you're being unfair to the cops who shot a sleeping man in the face? You guys! Calm down...

Seriously though rubber bullets are still pretty dangerous aren't they? Especially in close range?

Very dangerous, but he's lucky they used rubber bullets in the first place.

Takuan

My take-away from all this is that there's clearly no screening / verification process prior to acting on false tips.

Jesus.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I would love to see the courts fuck this guy's life up by putting him jail for at least 5 years.

BadManEd

Neo Member
Moronic behavior performed by morons to impress other morons. how is this a craze? there are so many morons in the world.

Pif

Banned
Some sectors of the gaming community are so fucked up. Disgusting.
Not more disgusting than police that easily gets manipulated to a shoot someone with just a simple prank call.

A step further into that, is the justice system, that will now somehow find the police not guilty.

Fisty

Damn right between the eyes. If that rubber bullet landed half an inch to the right or left, that dude would probably be dead. Honestly this douche should at least get attempted murder based on what happened to the guy. 20 years should be the minimum, not maximum

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Why does this hobby attract the most miserable bunch of fucking losers? Awful...

Handy Fake

Police need to be reprimanded at the very least, I'll bet the lad is going to get a hefty lawsuit in his favour. Never understood the heavy-handedness of US police.

The SWATter should be done for attempted murder, because that's what it is.

This anti-police sentiment is one of the worst things to come out of our generation, and that's saying something
I'm hugely pro police - in fact I spend every day of my working life with them trying to help improve officer safety and incident response - but I still don't understand how this kid got shot and think it's entirely sensible to ask questions. Labelling any reasonably questioning voice as "anti-police" is unreasonable.

Hale-XF11

It's just as fucked up that swat teams just shoot first and ask questions later. Like, wtf, how is that alright?

These swat fucks need to be held accountable for their actions too.

Zen Aku

Lol at the poster comparing bad police to malpractice by doctors.

You'll get sue up the butt if you fuck up a procedure and most likely will lose your license. If you're an officer, you'll get out on a paid vacation, then reassigned like nothing happened.

Get fucking real man.

I'm hugely pro police - in fact I spend every day of my working life with them trying to help improve officer safety and incident response - but I still don't understand how this kid got shot and think it's entirely sensible to ask questions. Labelling any reasonably questioning voice as "anti-police" is unreasonable.

I'm pro police too, I want more information before I settle on whether the police did anything wrong. I'd like to see some other sources. Until then I'm gonna wait, aside from that though, the kids who did this should be charged and really made an example of. Terrorism is a big deal here, they had to know he was gonna get hurt. No swatting is good, but bomb threats... Shit.. they had to know what was gonna happen.

Edit: At least the American had to know.

Calabi

Its weird in the US. It seems like the police work as your own personal hit squad, call them up tell them lies, whatever, they'll do the rest, shoot first, wont investigate, or any due diligence.

http://wjla.com/features/7-on-your-...ime-trend-both-locally-and-nationally--115595
"While 20-year-old Tyran Dobbs said he still has nerve pain in his face, he said it is the sharp pain in his heart that really bothers him whenever he sees police."

"The ordeal ended when Dobbs was shot right between the eyes with a rubber bullet from a police officer's gun."

"Turns out Dobbs had been "swatted" and he was the innocent victim. He still has to undergo another facial reconstruction surgery, according to his family."

Yeah, pretty dangerous.

I just want to chime in and request to be counted among the people who think an individual takes on more responsibility when they become a police officer and pick up a weapon, not less. Seems like a lot of people think the officers' status as police officers justifies weapons discharge that'd land anyone else in jail.

They shot a dude in the face.

Hale-XF11

Its weird in the US. It seems like the police work as your own personal hit squad, call them up tell them lies, whatever, they'll do the rest, shoot first, wont investigate, or any due diligence.

Yup. You want someone dealt with swiftly, just dial 911.

NastyBook

Fuck the swatters AND the officers. Needs to be some accountability held for these fuckers continuously going in guns blazing.

Megatron

We have basically no information at all as to what happened in the guy's home. Yet that doesn't stop people from jumping to conclusions and assuming the police were in the wrong. Some people In here actually believe they shot a guy while he was sleeping. Come on, don't be so stupid. For the rest of you, what do you think happened, the police walked into his house said 'Are you Tyran?' he Said yes and then "BLAM" right in the face? It seems MORE likely that they told him to get on the ground and he refused. Again, there's no details, so we don't know what happened, but we can't simply assume they were completely in the wrong. It sucks that this happens, but sometimes these calls are real. If it was a real call and the bomb went off because they they were researching the situation, people would have been screaming at them for not acting fast enough. It's a thankless job, where they face the possibility of death every day, and they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

We have basically no information at all as to what happened in the guy's home. Yet that doesn't stop people from jumping to conclusions and assuming the police were in the wrong. Some people In here actually believe they shot a guy while he was sleeping. Come on, don't be so stupid. For the rest of you, what do you think happened, the police walked into his house said 'Are you Tyran?' he Said yes and then "BLAM" right in the face? It seems MORE likely that they told him to get on the ground and he refused. Again, there's no details, so we don't know what happened, but we can't simply assume they were completely in the wrong. It sucks that this happens, but sometimes these calls are real. If it was a real call and the bomb went off because they they were researching the situation, people would have been screaming at them for not acting fast enough. It's a thankless job, where they face the possibility of death every day, and they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

They shot an innocent man in the face in his own home. They should all be fired.

Hope the fucker pays the rest for his live to this guy. He should be fined, cover the medical costs, do time, and pay for the damage he caused to his life. See that his stupid actions have consequences and set an example to all other idiots doing this.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Fucking disgusting.

Everyone involved except for the victims needs books thrown at them. All of them. The two douchebags, and the cops too. Just awful all around. Who shoots someone in the face with rubber bullets?

Fucking disgusting.

Everyone involved except for the victims needs books thrown at them. All of them. The two douchebags, and the cops too. Just awful all around. Who shoots someone in the face with rubber bullets?

Rubber bullets make police feel like they are at a paintball range and it's totally cool to go fucking ham.

We wouldn't have anything to yell about if we thought about what it's like to be in someone else's situation.

You do get that not every police officer is evil, right? I honestly believe some people around here sit behind their computers, see a video, and goes "Yup, that's how that happens in every situation ever." I don't know how some people can't comprehend that one thing doesn't apply to everything. If a doctor kills a patient, does that mean most doctors are bad?

EDIT: The poster above me has some sense.

Where has anybody said that literally every police officer is incompetent and evil? That's a strawman argument. The problem is there are so many incidents of incompetence where the officer is not held accountable. I've seen several videos of officers shooting and killing unarmed individuals and rarely does it end up with the officer being held accountable.

When you are given as much authority as police officers are given, you need to be held to an extremely high standard. Unfortunately, officers are not being held to that standard, so trust in the police is eroding.

There are many jobs that are more dangerous than being a police officer. Being a taxi driver is more dangerous, but you can be sure if a taxi driver shot and killed an unarmed person, they would be held accountable. We cannot use the inherent danger of their profession as an excuse for poor behavior.

No one but the most extreme anti-authoritarians are saying that all cops are bad or even that a majority of cops are bad, but if there is an incident where a person has committed no crime ends up being shot in the face with a rubber bullet, the officers need to be held accountable for handling the situation extremely poorly.

First time in UK. Needed to be done to set an example.

Not on the same level, but same as that DDoSer on overwatch that got arrested. Stop that shit. It needs to be done to set an example that the internet isn't just a free place to hide and do illegal stuff.

Tain

They shot an innocent man in the face in his own home. They should all be fired.

yeah but in the midst of being woken up as armed officers barged into his home he had the audacity to turn around. can you believe it?

he obviously deserves to get his face fucked up to the point of needing reconstructive surgery.

there is literally no other way this could have been handled.

Top Bottom