• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

British man charged after US gamer is shot by Swat police following hoax call

L Thammy

This anti-police sentiment is one of the worst things to come out of our generation, and that's saying something

I think the anti-police sentiment often goes above what is reasonable, but here you have them shooting someone in the face while they are asleep. There's nothing the guy could have done to harm them.

Van Bur3n

Wow, really? Only 20 years max prison sentence? Good to know if I ever wanna kill someone, I'll get off easy if I try swatting.

Guy should get life for this bullshit. It takes a real sick twisted individual to do this bullshit.

Although I agree they could get more because this is practically terrorism, I don't think 20 years is getting off easy. That's a large chunk of one's life and the guy will be over 40 when he gets out. Enough time to grow the fuck up (literally as well).

As for the cops, I'd be fucking pissed if I got shot in the face for doing nothing because some dumbasses thought a sleeping man is holding hostages. Fucking pay for my medical bills and rot in a cell as well, you damn lunatics.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
so they did everything right? shooting an innocent guy lying in bed?

When you get a ransom call involving fifiteen hostages and stack of explosives and you arrive at the property to find zero hostages, zero explosives and the main suspect asleep in bed that might be the moment you pause to wonder if someone's pulling your leg.

That's what I'd expect of the average Joe. What I expect of armed law enforcement is a much, much higher bar.

Cleve

This anti-police sentiment is one of the worst things to come out of our generation, and that's saying something

Shooting an innocent (sleeping) person in the face and chest with rubber ammo off an anonymous tip from outside the county deserves criticism. Someone fucked up. When people in other jobs fuck up spectacularly and in a way that causes harm to others, there's consequences. What's anti-cop about wanting an investigation in to this?

Geddy

If I call the police here in Germany and tell them my neighbour has bombs, explosives and such stuff, you can be sure they will first investigate whether thats true instead of raiding a house and shooting my neighbour...

Disgusting behaviour from the "troll" though. I dont have a clue why swatting is funny....

The same reason murder is funny to some people - they are psychologically deranged.

Rains

These people need 30 years terms and we should send Uk fella to the states he will get a shitty sentence in the UK and as for the coppers fuck man are they trained at all seems to be shoot first ask questions later

LifEndz

So, two people told the cops there was no hostage situation and the alleged hostage-taker is asleep in bed...yet he still gets shot in the face with a rubber bullet? I hope he gets a lawyer and brings suit against that police department. Unreal. Hopefully the jerks involved in making this false accusation get the book thrown at 'em.

I understand the police not being able to thoroughly investigate the threat before responding, but it is insane that they fired their weapons at a dude in his jammies.

Gattsu25

Banned
These people need to be charged with attempted murder or plot to murder.

Yeah, this is premeditated attempted murder.

The problem then is that is a tacit admission that the police in America are a deadly force that can be used to kill innocents.

It's true, but prosecutors will shy away from the warranted charges for their career's sake.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Lots crazy in this story but I have to ask why the fuck are they going for headshots with supposedly non-lethal bullets? The risk of extreme injury seems astronomical and therefore defeats the purpose of non lethal incapacitation, doesn't it?

Was it just chance that he was hit in the head?

Although I aged they could get more because this is practically terrorism, I don't think 20 years is getting off easy. That's a large chunk of one's life and the guy will be over 40 when he gets out. Enough time to grow the fuck up (literally as well).

This was a planned attempted murder. This wasn't an an attack that was produced in the heat of a moment or someone thinking irrationally for a just a couple seconds.

These people made it their mission for someone to be potentially killed by a swat team. It's fucking gross. These people should not be allowed to interact with society.

How do the police always take theses things so seriously?

Because the one time they don't and it's legit then it's a disaster for everyone!

I agree with you actually, that they should do more research, but I completely understand why they feel the need to react.

They went to the house with the intentions of diffusing the situation? Great! That's what I'm paying for (whether I like it or not)... but not taking the time to further assess when they got there and actually shooting someone? Yeah, not cool. They need to be punished and training/protocol needs to be revisited.

What the fuck is wrong with these people? Fuck man, swatting? Seriously? Could have cost this man his life or seriously impaired him! Why would you do something like this?

Mifec

Every single time I have come into a swatting thread I have repeated the same: every single person who swats should be charged with attempted murder.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Wow, the police respone was incredibly stupid. If you think someone actually has bombs and hostages, why the hell would you imediately charge in with rubber bullets with zero knowlege of conditions in the house? That would make it more likely you all get blown up.

RRockman

Banned
How do the police always take theses things so seriously?

They have to. The day they don't and it turns out to be real would be a frigging nightmare for everyone else. That's why I don't falt them too much for running in guns blazing.

Another poster did make a good point about reconnaissance and that made me wish they had a drone of some sort they could deploy to get a grasp on the situation before moving. But I don't know how the logistics of that would be like or even if it wold easy to use without it being seen.

gun_haver

The main thing about this seems to be that the US police are far too stupid to have as much power as they do. At least this guy survived his encounter, a lot of people don't.

Thank god the swatted got arrested, but what the fuck with the police shooting the dude?

Welcome to America where running into an actual gang member is way safer than sneezing across the street from a cop.

Proud I'm in the one state where cops didn't kill anyone last year. They aren't perfect but way better than any other place i've lived.

Lister

Banned
The problem with Police in the Us is... many faceted really. From institutional corruption, racism, to poor training.

As discussed in this fantastic article: http://www.tampabay.com/projects/2017/investigations/florida-police-shootings/why-cops-shoot/

One of the issues, aside from the asset forfeiture laws that have essentially turned our police forces into highwaymen, is that police escalate situations, instead of de-escalating them, coupled with placing themselves, needlessly, into possibly dangerous situations and then shooting out of fear.

As the main incident in the article describes, the police officers immediately rushed the guy in his car, weapons drawn (for what they later claimed was just a stop for an unbuckled seatbelt) and one of them moves in FRONT OF THE CAR. The scared driver probably mistakenly puts the car in neutral, so it's still rolling a bit and the police then order him to stop the car.

That's all it takes, two incopetent cops to cause someone's death, because you see, if he hadn't moved to stop the car (placed his hands up), the car would have continued rolling towards the officer, and they woudl have shot and killed him. And if instead he tried to stop the car (as he did) they would have (and did) shoot and kill him for not having his hands up.

The moemnt the cops rushed the car this guy was going to die, no matter what actions he took. Thats the scary as hell part. If you're in that situation, there's almost nothign you cna do to aviod being shot at by police, and almost nothing will ever happen to the cops responsible nor will the system correct in order to prevent further similar situations.

RiverKwai

There's 2 issues here, SWAT don't and shouldn't be investigating crimes, SWAT is a response team for evil shit. They are not detectives, they are essentially urban special forces. They are a hammer.

But as a hammer, they should not be dispatched to respond to phone calls that nobody has investigated. That's what allows Swatting to continue to happen. Investigation puts non special forces cops into the line of fire in case the phone call is legit, but without it, innocent until proven guilty is not being upheld. It is the polices job to assume the risk of investigating crimes, in order to protect Innocent lives.

People will continue being shot in the face because a phone call can direct a full on fast twitch C.O.D. team into someone's bedroom to neutralize a non existent threat.

Swatting is vile.

Majukun

good,let the bastard rot in jail
Wow, the police respone was incredibly stupid. If you think someone actually has bombs and hostages, why the hell would you imediately charge in with rubber bullets with zero knowlege of conditions in the house? That would make it more likely you all get blown up.

what's the alternative?
going slowly and give time to the guy to blow up the house?

frontovik

Banned
The worst scum is the prankster .. but it's appalling that US police are always shoot first, ask questions later.

You'd think they'd have a negotiator or common sense to gauge the situation. Their lack of professional standards gives other police officers a bad reputation.

operon

Get the fuck out of here with that crap any other country the police would investigate the call try to negotiate either to bring the situation to a peaceful conclusion or give them enough time to use force without anyone getting hurt. If someone does wrong it doesn't matter who they are it's still wrong

Officers reportedly ignored his father, Tom, and his cousin telling them there was no hostage situation and that the so-called hostage taker was actually asleep.

How did the police know which man to shoot between the eyes? Apparently the best defense against rubber bullets is "nah man I'm his cousin." Especially if you can say it without your natural Die Hard terrorist British accent slipping through.

Just think, if this situation had played out just a little bit differently, that guy could've woken up to find $15,000 in a red bag on his doorstep.

BajiBoxer

Banned
They have to. The day they don't and it turns out to be real would be a frigging nightmare for everyone else. That's why I don't falt them too much for running in guns blazing.

Another poster did make a good point about reconnaissance and that made me wish they had a drone of some sort they could deploy to get a grasp on the situation before moving. But I don't know how the logistics of that would be like or even if it wold easy to use without it being seen.

What makes charging in guns blazing dumb is that even if the suspect doesn't manually detonate the bomb as soon as they bust in, it's entirely posible to have rigged the house itself. Terrorists have done this before to trap investigating police.

Gattsu25

Banned
The worst scum is the prankster .. but it's appalling that US police are always shoot first, ask questions later.

You'd think they'd have a negotiator or common sense to gauge the situation. Their lack of professional standards gives other police officers a bad reputation.

I agree with the post but disagree with calling these criminals Pranksters. These guys planned out and enacted a plan that could have easily murdered their target.
Should be treated the same as hiring a hit on someone.

Agreed.

Zomba13

Taking the threat seriously, armed police then raided Mr Dobbs’ home and shot the 20-year-old between the eyes and in the chest with rubber bullets, breaking bones in his face and bruising his lungs. Images taken after the incident show him with a heavily swollen, bruised and cut face.

Jesus Christ that man was lucky.

Hope they put the cunt away. Shit like swatting should count as attempted murder, it's obvious that is the intended effect of this shit.

MKIL65

The police really is incompetent.

They shoot unarmed people. They shoot children. They shoot pregnant women.

They shoot people that happens to have a different skin colour than their own.

They shoot everything that doesn't pose a threat...

It happens again and again on a yearly basis, and people still say something like this?

It's absurd how one unverified phone call is all it takes to have SWAT break down your door (which they won't replace) destroy your house (which they won't pay back) and almost kill you (which they won't face consequence for).

Like, really, one phone call with a vaguely "terrorists" sounding name and that's all it takes?

stupei

Interesting characterization.

Are you sure it's not that some people are anti innocent people being shot in the face by trained professionals who should be held to a high standard of excellence that befits their position? I would honestly think that people who think the police should not be held accountable for their own actions and cannot be expected to behave responsibly that think very little of police officers, both as people and as a position of authority.

FX-GMC

Not sure if this was posted but here is the police statement. https://www.scribd.com/document/271698829/Howard-County-Police-Statement-on-Swatting-t

Police responded to the scene and determined Tyran Dobbs was, in fact, inside the residence with three females. They contacted the lease holder for the apartment, who advised he is Mr. Dobbs'
father. According to police reports from a lieutenant and sergeant on-scene, Mr. Dobbs' father advised that there was a gun in the apartment and that he could not be sure whether or not these were credible threats from his son. Negotiators made contact with a woman inside the apartment, who was able to exit with her child. They were immediately transported away from the scene for their safety and to be interviewed. A third female, believed to be Mr. Dobbs' girlfriend, remained inside.

Mr. Dobbs was initially seen by officers crawling on the floor in front of a sliding glass door. He then came to the open slider twice and both times police repeatedly directed him to come out and show his hands. Mr. Dobbs did not comply and walked back into the apartment. The third time he walked to the glass slider, Mr. Dobbs was given the same direction by officers, but kept his hand inside the lower front of his shirt. Before he could again walk back toward the bedroom, where a woman who may be a hostage was still inside, he was struck with two non-lethal rubber rounds to prevent him from retreating back inside the apartment. Mr. Dobbs was struck in the torso and started to fall forward. A second round also intended for his torso struck Mr. Dobbs in the face as he was falling to the ground. A doctor who is part of the county's tactical response team was on-scene and rendered immediate aid before Mr. Dobbs was transported to the hospital

I guess that explains the rubber bullet to the face. The real problem here is that the SWAT team should NOT have been there in the first place. Investigation should take place before action.

A good read on the subject of SWAT teams in America is Rise of the Warrior Cop by Radley Balko, a journalist and opinion writer for the Washington Post who's covered civil liberties and police issues for years. The gist of it is that US policy has encouraged police to militarize in multiple ways. Nixon granted police expanded powers to enter people's homes without announcing their presence or intent. For decades, police have been able to purchase surplus equipment from the military, a program that expanded greatly under President Clinton. The use of asset forfeiture to seize assets alleged to be involved in crime allows police to redirect the proceeds from those assets back into their own budgets, which then allows them to buy more SWAT gear that can be used on more drug busts to seize more assets to buy more SWAT gear etc., etc.

The point in bringing this up is that the environment in the States where SWAT teams are just "doing their job" by breaking into someone's home unannounced and shooting people is not some unquestionable norm everyone has to accept blindly. Federal policy over the course of decades got the US to where it is now. Absolutely, the people who call up police to swat people should be held accountable; you might even be able to make the case for attempted murder. But in the end, they're taking advantage of a system that overwhelmingly leads to dangerous and frightening outcomes, and it doesn't have to be this way.

You can't blame the officers though, they were doing their job. The higher-ups who didn't verify the info should be taken to task, though. It's ridiculous they never questioned the info.

Really, you can't blame the officers? Not even the one who shot a sleeping man in the face? I mean perhaps I'm missing something here, but from the sounds of it, it sure seems like they were just really excited to shoot someone and decided nothing would get in the way of that.

I understand the police not being able to thoroughly investigate the threat before responding, but it is insane that they fired their weapons at a dude in his jammies.

How can you understand that when there's no evidence at all that there was a dangerous situation at the house. There was literally the home owner saying WTF are you talking about. They didn't even need to investigate everything was laid out in front of them and they still fucked up.

Top Bottom