• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

British man charged after US gamer is shot by Swat police following hoax call

Slayven

Was only a matter of time before someone got shot and/or killed. Not shocked it was someone with melanin

This anti-police sentiment is one of the worst things to come out of our generation, and that's saying something

This is what rationalizing institutionalized racism looks like

Disgusting situation for every part involved (except the victim), the police proceedure is hilariously bad.

On another note, I don't understand why the word "gamer" is relevant to the case.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If I call the police here in Germany and tell them my neighbour has bombs, explosives and such stuff, you can be sure they will first investigate whether thats true instead of raiding a house and shooting my neighbour...

And what do they do if there's a hostage situation? Take their time and conduct an investigation?

Thankfully they used rubber bullets. So many armchair law enforcement experts who have no clue what it's like to be in those shoes.

I hope the pieces of garbage involved with the call get as much jail time as possible.

Slayven

Are such operations filmed as part of the standard operating procedure? (If not, why not?)

That would solve the accountability issue.

We have video of police shooting unarmed people in the back while they are face down on the ground. Video tape means nothing as long as people still give the police a pass.

Police handled the situation poorly, I admit. But something has to be done to people like this. If not serious jail time, then the bill for the swat team. The cost of medical care, and the cops, and their insurance premiums, and the vehicles usage probably would cost about 100k easily. That would likely be much more of a deterrent than any jail time.
Only 100k? After the lawsuits against the city are done, we'll be in the 7 or 8 figures easily.

Buckle

This anti-police sentiment is one of the worst things to come out of our generation, and that's saying something
No it isn't.

American law enforcement is well known for corruption, violence and systematic racism. They've earned their reputation.

And what do they do if there's a hostage situation? Take their time and conduct an investigation?

Thankfully they used rubber bullets. So many armchair law enforcement experts who have no clue what it's like to be in those shoes.

I hope the pieces of garbage involved with the call get as much jail time as possible.

Asking due diligence in investigating claims and not breaking the doors down and asking questions after severe bodily harm or death (rubber bullets can still absolutely kill somebody) is now being a Monday morning QB.

Funny how we've turned the police into an unquestionable monolith of Justice. When fifty years ago this certainly wasn't the case.

Slayven

So always Order before Justice?

Oh piss off with that nonsense. Police officers and/or those in charge should be held accountable they aren't James Fucking Bond license to do whatever.

This refusal to hold authority to a standard of accountability is the worst thing to come out of humanity, and that's saying something.

And body cams aren't going to and never do shit. The police are experts at getting around that.

Durante

We have video of police shooting unarmed people in the back while they are face down on the ground. Video tape means nothing as long as people still give the police a pass.
It might not be sufficient on its own, but it certainly helps in establishing the facts.

Most states don't have body can laws. The ones that do, funnily, have time fought tooth and nail by police departments.
I have no idea how you would rationally argue against such a requirement.
Clearly, as a society we depend on the people we've entrusted with executive power to follow the established procedures and precautions exactly, and we need to be able to verify that.

Sevenfold

So I just Googled rubber bullets and that was a kill shot right?

I get that these guys go in hard but surely given how easy it is to set up this kind of thing these days, there may be cause for a modicum of restraint? Protect and serve and all that.

Trup1aya

Yeah the swatter is a piece of shit, but let's not over look the massive lack of common sense and care displayed by the police.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Fuck "investigating" the charges... anyone claiming the officers had no choice because of the phone call and oh but he said he was the guy and he was gonna kill people!!

Didn't they look through the fucking windows before they raided the house? Apparently not cause they would have seen a normal ass family doing normal ass shit. These idiots were just jacked up and ready to bang and they got all this gear on and gassed up the van no way i'm not shooting fucking SOMETHING tonight...

like seriously these cops are fucking clown shoes.

Clearly, as a society we depend on the people we've entrusted with executive power to follow the established procedures and precautions exactly, and we need to be able to verify that.
Nor do I. But the argument is made to legislatures that it impinges on their "ability to do their job" somehow and it usually works.

Amazing how we as a society have stopped attempting to have any form of legal accountability or even ethical accountability for misaction by those who are supposed to protect us.

The police really is incompetent.

They shoot unarmed people. They shoot children. They shoot pregnant women.

They shoot people that happens to have a different skin colour than their own.

They shoot everything that doesn't pose a threat...

It happens again and again on a yearly basis, and people still say something like this?

They're people who say that because they are:

Police who are competent

Who save unarmed people. Save children. Save pregenant women.

They rescue people who happen to have different skin color then their own.

They shoot things that actually poses a threat.

It happens again and again on a yearly basis: 1https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLiAPRy-qEY 2https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6jifqbf0ao

That said, the bad police stories are also real. Training, polices, and practices need to get with the times. Standards can and need to be raised to prevent innocent people getting harmed, and an officer should be punished for offenses, but in no way is every officer incompetent and evil for putting on that uniform, so the blanket statements, on both sides, are not helping to solve any problems.

And another user had an interesting type up about SWAT. Looks like a problem that can get innocent people caught up in fire

We wouldn't have anything to yell about if we thought about what it's like to be in someone else's situation.

You do get that not every police officer is evil, right? I honestly believe some people around here sit behind their computers, see a video, and goes "Yup, that's how that happens in every situation ever." I don't know how some people can't comprehend that one thing doesn't apply to everything. If a doctor kills a patient, does that mean most doctors are bad?

EDIT: The poster above me has some sense.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Clearly Durante does not know what its like to live in a society where authority figures are comfortable in their power and will do whatever it takes to hold onto it. Accountability literally anywhere is rare.

Kuraudo

Banned

Assessing situations is part of law enforement. Especially when "swatting" is a known thing. Ascertaining that there is in fact a hostage situation should absolutely be part of the job. The complete absence of hostages and the fact that the suspect was asleep should have been throwing up all kinds of warning signs. In fact, the former should have forced even further diligence, as they could have easily been shooting a hostage in the face than a hostage taker.

Nobody is saying that being a police officer is easy, but making it easy by throwing away due diligence is antithetical to what being a police officer should be.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
We wouldn't have anything to yell about if we thought about what it's like to be in someone else's situation.

You do get that not every police officer is evil, right? I honestly believe some people around here sit behind their computers, see a video, and goes "Yup, that's how that happens in every situation ever." I don't know how some people can't comprehend that one thing doesn't apply to everything. If a doctor kills a patient, does that mean most doctors are bad?

The middle ground doesn't exist for most people when it comes to internet argumentation. Just let it go.

Slayven

God forbid we hold people that carry weapon to a high standard or not shooting unarmed people

Tain

if there were more high-profile cases of doctors somehow abusing their power to disrupt people's lives and ensuring that their fellow doctors never get hit with any repercussions for their mistakes, we would probably view doctors in a similar fashion

A doctor making a medical mistake is not comparable to a officer with a gun shooting somebody. One has intent to kill, the other doesn't. We shouldn't brush it off because being a justice officer is a difficult job. Killing somebody or performing an action that can kill somebody needs to be investigated and it needs action taken if that person wasn't even guilty of a crime.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So I just Googled rubber bullets and that was a kill shot right?

I get that these guys go in hard but surely given how easy it is to set up this kind of thing these days, there may be cause for a modicum of restraint? Protect and serve and all that.

Looking into rubber bullets, it looks like the police should switch to plastic bullets. Apparently they're used in Ireland with no reports of any deaths.

It might not be sufficient on its own, but it certainly helps in establishing the facts.

Officers frequently find a way to not have their cams on them and not get punished for it, or when they do have footage, still not get punished for it.

Body cams won't do much when there's no one holding them accountable and hero worship in America props them up.

Redshirt

Banned
This thread is bonkers. People should investigate more before posting.

Police called into the house twice. Had actually evacuated the rest of the family, and we're talking with Dobbs when he chose to disregard them and turn away to "get his girlfriend."

Terrible situation all around, but this kid put himself and the police in a bad situation.

SWAT officers are supposed to be taught trigger discipline, careful study of a situation (that whole tactics bit), assess it's danger, and act accordingly.

What if he were a terrorist that set up tripwires? What if there were kill switches at his door hinges? What if the hostages were in another undisclosed location and the bullet ended up killing him?

Expecting some level of restraint by what is supposed to be the best of the best in law enforcement should not be some absurd position.

According to police reports from a lieutenant and sergeant on-scene, Mr. Dobbs’ father advised that there was a gun in the apartment and that he could not be sure whether or not these were credible threats from his son.

"You said WHAT dad?!"

"Son, I honestly didn't think you had any hostages. But just in case you did, I wanted the police to take you seriously."

"DAD WHY WOULD I HAVE HOSTAGES??"

Police called into the house twice. Had actually evacuated the rest of the family, and we're talking with Dobbs when he chose to disregard them and turn away to "get his girlfriend."

Terrible situation all around, but this kid put himself and the police in a bad situation.
Even if we take the police statement at face value, and we shouldn't given the conflict of interest.

Lol no. An innocent man did not put himself in a position to GET SHOT IN THE FACE.

Damn...I really hope this kid recovers, getting shot between the eyes with skull fractures sounds like that could cause brain damage.

I hope his family sue the shit out of the state/police. They were beyond incompetent.

I'm sure we'll find out he was no angel as well.

But seriously did he deserve to get shot in the face?

Slayven

There would be no issue if some shit head hadn't called the police because of some video nonsense

Quit victim blaming

Redshirt

Banned
Even if we take the police statement at face value, and we shouldn't given the conflict of interest.

Lol no. An innocent man did not put himself in a position to GET SHOT IN THE FACE.

Well, whatever. Not gonna argue with RantGAF, but at least people know that he wasn't shot in the face while sleeping.

Yeah, why would he lie in his bed? Any normal person would pull their gun out and shoot at a person like that.

Unbelievable, this kid...

Wasn't in his bed.

Cleve

I'm thinking about the unarmed guy that got shot in the face's situation. That kinda sucks too you know.

I'm not anti-cop, but someone definitely fucked up on the police end of this.

The police is worse! They are supposedly professionals who assess and investigate situations and respond appropriately.
Instead as soon as some random person makes a call they send in a fucking SWAT team and shoot an innocent guy in the face? Those dumbass cops should go to prison because they shot an innocent person, "someone told us ..." is not an excuse for their own incompetence.

The guy who made the call is an idiot but locking him up for 20 years is ridiculous, for what? Lying to the police? Because that's all he did, had he called a competent police department no one would have been shot at all.
Of course he should get punished somehow but not to such an extent that he spends years in prison because he cannot be blamed for the cops involved being untrained, trigger happy, agressive wannabe soldiers who seem to think they live in a war zone and everyone who isn't them is an enemy.

Seriously? Defending the idiot that wasted public resources and intentionally put someone else in danger for his own amusement? Fuck off with that shit. That guy isn't going to get anywhere near the max sentence, but certainly needs to face the music for his disgusting disregard for humanity.

Pluto

The worst scum is the prankster .. but it's appalling that US police are always shoot first, ask questions later.

You'd think they'd have a negotiator or common sense to gauge the situation. Their lack of professional standards gives other police officers a bad reputation.
The police is worse! They are supposedly professionals who assess and investigate situations and respond appropriately.
Instead as soon as some random person makes a call they send in a fucking SWAT team and shoot an innocent guy in the face? Those dumbass cops should go to prison because they shot an innocent person, "someone told us ..." is not an excuse for their own incompetence.

The guy who made the call is an idiot but locking him up for 20 years is ridiculous, for what? Lying to the police? Because that's all he did, had he called a competent police department no one would have been shot at all.
Of course he should get punished somehow but not to such an extent that he spends years in prison because he cannot be blamed for the cops involved being untrained, trigger happy, agressive wannabe soldiers who seem to think they live in a war zone and everyone who isn't them is an enemy.

You do get that not every police officer is evil, right? I honestly believe some people around here sit behind their computers, see a video, and goes "Yup, that's how that happens in every situation ever." I don't know how some people can't comprehend that one thing doesn't apply to everything. If a doctor kills a patient, does that mean most doctors are bad?.
No, but if american doctors killed patients every other day because they do everything wrong that can go wrong in a certain situation and throw scalpels and mentally ill people to get them to take their medication I might suspect that there's a problem. Especially if these things don't happen in otger countries.

Do you even realize how often cops in america shoot and/or kill people and how little it happens elsewhere?

Top Bottom