• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

British man charged after US gamer is shot by Swat police following hoax call

The two fucks who called in the swatting should be given the maximum, no question.

You can't blame the officers though, they were doing their job. The higher-ups who didn't verify the info should be taken to task, though. It's ridiculous they never questioned the info.

The guy wasn't reporting his neighbor though, he was claiming to be the person that got swatted and said he had hostages and was going to kill them if he didn't get paid.

That's different than calling them and saying your neighbor has weapons.

There should certainly be a way for them to handle these situations to find out if the threat is real or not before acting though. They could have looked up the phone records for the actual guy and called him at his number and see what he said.

Even than that guy was asleep and didnt pose any threat even if he would have taken a hostage...

"I want justice. I want them to pay for my medical damages and I want whoever shot me in my face to have to do some time."

This interpretation of justice is very refreshing, especially from the victim. Usually you get the whole "let them burn in hell I want to sue them for all they are worth for what the did to me."

Good for him - I hope the perps get what they deserve.

Edit: Actually I see a lot of the more intense stances in this thread. The actions by the individuals and the police were reprehensible and yes, he could have died, but I think it's possible to make people pay for their mistakes without completely ruining their lives... I feel like the victim understands that too (at least that's what I ascertain from his comments).

Mega

Banned
Awful and glad the guy has been caught. Not too far away from me either.(Birmingham-Coventry)

Why?

Incompetence. They didn't do basic police work to verify the threat was real, escalated a situation for no reason after being told there was no kidnapping and almost killed a sleeping man. Seems pretty obvious.

geordiemp

The two fucks who called in the swatting should be given the maximum, no question.

You can't blame the officers though, they were doing their job. The higher-ups who didn't verify the info should be taken to task, though. It's ridiculous they never questioned the info.

You can in UK, they would not be allowed to be officers in UK, they would be in jail for gross negligence and manslaughter.

Durante

Obviously the act of the call itself is completely unacceptable, we don't need to discus that.

But a situation where it is possible to get someone innocent shot just by anonymously reporting some lie about them is also completely unacceptable. There have to be procedures in place to prevent that, on multiple levels. And when they fail, someone has to be held accountable.

I understand the police having to take threats seriously, but there comes a time common sense has to prevail. Every police force in the world should be taught about Swatting so these situations can be handled properly. Two of this man's relatives told the police there was no danger and he was asleep. The officers that shot him should be charged along with the sick bastards that organized this. Make no mistake, this was conspiracy to commit murder, it should absolutely be treated as such.

Wow, really? Only 20 years max prison sentence? Good to know if I ever wanna kill someone, I'll get off easy if I try swatting.

Guy should get life for this bullshit. It takes a real sick twisted individual to do this bullshit.

True Fire

I wish we had politicians who understand millennials. There are so many horrible tech-related trends that will go unregulated for decades.

The fact that this hoax even works is ridiculous.

Throw the book at everyone! The British guy, the American who called him, and the dudes who shot an unarmed guy in the face because someone unverified stranger told them to.

Holy shit, the incompetence.

Arttemis

Reckless Endangerment felony charges should be the MINIMUM starting point for criminal charges against all SWATTers. I'd support attempted murder charges, too.

Reckless endangerment: A person commits the crime of reckless endangerment if the person recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of serious physical injury to another person. “Reckless” conduct is conduct that exhibits a culpable disregard of foreseeable consequences to others from the act or omission involved. The accused need not intentionally cause a resulting harm. The ultimate question is whether, under all the circumstances, the accused’s conduct was of that heedless nature that made it actually or imminently dangerous to the rights or safety of others.

The person who requested the attack AND the the person who committed it. Fuck these dipshits, and shut this act down.

tkscz

Apparently the person they were subduing was asleep though. I can understand them being defensive because a dangerous criminal isn't necessarily going to state that they're a dangerous criminal, but there didn't seem to be any sign of real danger whatsoever.

They claimed he had bombs, thus making it worse on the victim. The team was being cautious and thank goodness they used rubber bullets, and realized that he was innocent. At least this man will live to see another day. To hell with jackasses who think this shit is a good idea. I would say this should stop people from swatting, but considering others have been arrested and others have died from this and it's still happening, doubtful.

Obviously the act of the call itself is completely unacceptable, we don't need to discus that.

But a situation where it is possible to get someone innocent shot just by anonymously reporting some lie about them is also completely unacceptable. There have to be procedures in place to prevent that, on multiple levels. And when they fail, someone has to be held accountable.

Again, there is, but the scenario they made up for this man pretty much guaranteed he'd be shot. He didn't just have guns, he had hostages and bombs.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You can in UK, they would not be allowed to be officers in UK, they would be in jail for gross negligence and manslaughter.

There are tons of crazy people in the US who do put officers in emergency situations where they can't hesitate, so i can atleast understand the excuse for escalation, but its not really an excuse when innocent people are the ones who suffer, and it can't be tolerated.

There has to be some sort of balance there.

IbukiLordSA

Jail for attempted murder, maximum sentence. Send the scum to jail. Hipefully the prisoners take a liking to him as well.

You would think that a 21-year-old would know better than to pull off something this stupid.

this guy was in the UK calling into the US. He felt pretty safe i would imagine. ,, No way they will find me in another country".

WELL :D

The State of Maryland can start to get their checkbook out for the victim. Their little SWAT action gonna be expensive.

RRockman

Banned
I almost soiled myself when I read "shot between the eyes" in the article. I'm so, so, glad it was rubber bullets. While do I wish the police could have used more restraint I don't believe they deserve as much blame as the two idiots who thought this was funny. I hope they are persecuted to the fullest extent of both laws.

Peroroncino

Fuckin' hell... a blessing in disguise that they used rubber bullets. The guy who made the hoax call deserves an attempted murder charge, no mercy, this shit needs to stop.

I also cannot fathom why the hell the cops didn't listen to his family saying there's no crisis here... I mean I wouldn't expect them to drop it and go away, they have to check it just in case, but maybe... approach with a bit more restraint after seeing that no member in the family was under duress?

Durante

Again, there is, but the scenario they made up for this man pretty much guaranteed he'd be shot. He didn't just have guns, he had hostages and bombs.
This outcome is not acceptable in the given situation, regardless of the anonymous claims made.

He had no bombs, no hostages, and no guns.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Jail for attempted murder, maximum sentence. Send the scum to jail. Hipefully the prisoners take a liking to him as well.

Can I take it you're advocating rape as punishment here? If so, can I be the first say 'what the fuck, dude?"

While do I wish the police could have used more restraint I don't believe they deserve as much blame as the two idiots who thought this was funny.

Why? One of these is a group of law-enforcement professionals recruited, appointed and trained by the state to deal specifically with situations like these. The other are a pair of dumb-as-fuck nobodies causing havoc for giggles.

I only expect better from one of these groups.

Kilau

Gold Member
I'm shocked they didn't use real ammo and kill the poor guy. Just awful and I hope he is able to recover.

We all know shooting innocent people in the face is part of US law enforcement's job.

The video I posted show's that your garbage post is not true.

The police in this case messed up big, though. Bullets shouldn't have been fired without first identifying a clear threat.

Cleve

Swatting should be an attempted murder charge and treated as a violent crime. You're intentionally inciting a violent confrontation for your own amusement.

sensi97

They claimed he had bombs, thus making it worse on the victim. The team was being cautious and thank goodness they used rubber bullets, and realized that he was innocent.

Even when his father and his cousin told them they was no hostage situation ?

Officers reportedly ignored his father, Tom, and his cousin telling them there was no hostage situation and that the so-called hostage taker was actually asleep.

I'm sorry but you all have issue if you think the swat team appropriately handled the situation.

LAA

Shitty thing to do and people doing should definitely be charged, but I have to question the police too, why does it always seem to be shoot first, ask questions later?
I understand in some cases it isn't possible or even risky, but surely there are cases where you can, this seeming like one of them.

Thank God he "only" got shot in the face with rubber bullets. Person who did this needs to get the book thrown at them. And honestly, just from what's described in the article, it sounds like the police messed up too. Opening fire on a sleeping person, after others in the household tried to de-escalate?

Gattsu25

Banned
This anti-police sentiment is one of the worst things to come out of our generation, and that's saying something

"Police who shoot innocents need to be investigated."

"This hatred of police is horrible"

This is what it looks like when people treat a request for accountability as an expression of hatred. SMH

Lister

Banned
This anti-police sentiment is one of the worst things to come out of our generation, and that's saying something

The anti police sentiment comes from police abuse of their powers with almost ZERO repercussions.

This is not somethign this generaiton just invented whole cloth.

There is a SYSTEMIC problem with police in this country. If you cna't see that you've either been living under a rock your whole life, are delusional or there is something really wrong with you.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

If the shoe fits. I want to respect law enforcement, but if they make mistakes or fuck up they need to be called out. Having people tamp down legitimate criticism is one way anti police resentment grows. And its been like this for decades.

Abuse of power is a thing and it must be realized in all aspects.

They did their job poorly. It's an officers duty to act and react properly in these types of situations.

Shooting an unarmed civilian is unacceptable, even with bad intel.

Javier23

Banned
Throw the book at him.
The officers too.
image.php

see5harp

Police handled the situation poorly, I admit. But something has to be done to people like this. If not serious jail time, then the bill for the swat team. The cost of medical care, and the cops, and their insurance premiums, and the vehicles usage probably would cost about 100k easily. That would likely be much more of a deterrent than any jail time.

Top Bottom