• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boston police close river, bridges in possible college hoax

Status
Not open for further replies.
White Man said:
The first I heard of the pipe bombs was when you posted it earlier, and the story you linked to was just posted (early) this morning. Was this news really out there, specifically mentioning pipe bombs, as this was going on?

As I stated earlier, yes. It wasnt made a big deal because I think we all assumed some reporter had scerwed up, ala spongebob.

They hadnt used the word pipebomb, but they described a bagged object resembling a bomb, but really containing a flashlight among other things.

Breaking news ALWAYS has huge innacuracies. Go back to the 9/11 thread and youll see reports of car bombs. Thats obviously on a completely different level, but the point is the same. This time however, the claim seems to have been true.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
MOONINITES.jpg

"Oh, we forgot all about Bostons needs. We were too busy fulfilling our own."

railGUN

Banned
You know who should go to jail for this?

Any and all media outlets that sensationalized a Lite-Brite advertisment placed under a bridge and drew any conclusions to terrorism before learning all the facts and evaluating the situation.

Seriously, anyone who "profits" from something like this is the real criminal.

White Man said:
How is a bagged object resembling a bomb that ends up being a flashlight a fake pipe bomb?

That I dont know. Media mistakes + lack of solid statement.

Im sure the police will bring it up more later. The point is, two objects were not lite brites.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
jamesinclair said:
If it werent for the pipe bomb part of this, there would have been NO escalation.

You'd have a tough time arguing that, especially if you're still basing that claim on that one article. If that were true though, I don't see how the city officials can be so upset at the two artists specifically.

Somnid

"How do you like your omletes now Boston? Can you hear me Boston? Well let me turn it up for you."

Seriously, Boston got pwnd. The guys responses were excellent. It amuses me and others of like intellegence and everyone else is confused, frustrated and a moron.

Dude, these guys do not deserve to go to prison.

Those dumbass Bostonians are just humiliated, and they were pissed that they looked so freakin stupid that they want to get revenge. No go. You fail. Good day sir.

The police have released some more crow in the form of a timeline

---
early morning hours of the arrest by British authorities of several terror suspects.

At 6:53 a.m. DHS reported that a Washington D.C. Metro station was closed down due to a suspicious package.

At 8:18 a.m. an MBTA worker reported a suspicious device attached to a stanchion supporting Interstate 93 and near the train line. Appropriate units responded and determined that this device was suspicious and had components consistent with improvised explosive devices.
The mooninite

At 8:52 a.m. DHS notified Law Enforcement officials that at least 4 people were being treated at a post office after being overcome by fumes emanating from a package at a post office in New York City.

At 9:00 a.m. The Boston Police Bomb squad is requested by the MBTA to Sullivan Square and examines the item. As a precaution I-93 is closed and the device is rendered safe and determined to be some sort of hoax device at 10:21 AM.
NOT AN AD

---
NOTE THE GAP HERE. THE MOONINITE HAD BEEN BLASTED AND POLICE ACTIVITY ENDED.

UNTIL

----
At 12:54 p.m. the Boston Police Bomb squad receives a call for a suspicious device at the intersection of Stuart and Charles Street. That device appears similar to the first device containing batteries, wires, magnets and other components similar to the device in Sullivan Square. Using approved procedures the item is photographed, X-rayed and eventually rendered safe.
Mooninite

Six minutes later at 1:02 p.m. Boston Police received a call from New England Medical Center Security that they had uncovered a pipe bomb in their building in a desk drawer. Shortly thereafter Hospital Security reported that a suspect had been seen leaving the area of the pipe bomb in an agitated state stating “God is warning you that today is going to be a sad Day”. The suspect was reported to have fled the hospital. Boston Police continue to investigate this incident. No further details at this time.
NOT AN AD

At 1:08 p.m. the Boston Police Bomb Squad arrived and confirmed the existence of an item which appeared to be a pipe bomb inside the hospital.

---
MEDIA PICKS UP HERE
---
At 1:11 p.m. information was received and a request was made by the Massachusetts State Police to have the bomb squad assist with locating devices under the Longfellow and BU bridges.
---
BU = Mooninite
Longfellow = Pipe bomb 2
As media begins ad free coverage, people start to look around
---
Boston Police begin to receive numerous calls for similar devices throughout Boston and surrounding areas.

heres where the flurry of calls were made

Only then

---
At approximately 4:30 p.m. detectives from the Boston Police Department were contacted and were verifying information from representatives from the corporation responsible for this advertising campaign.

At 4:51 p.m. Turner Broadcasting representatives were verified as taking responsibility for placing devices with the cartoon character. This was at the same time a press conference was underway at Boston Police Headquarters.
---

http://www.bpdnews.com/2007/02/message_from_the_police_commis_2.html

its just a series of events that happened to unfold at the same time.

I continue to argue that if it werent for the pipe bombs, the whole thing would have ended by 1pm. At which point the only police action would have been to make a case against illegal advertising + search for pipe bomb man.

Ponn

Banned
Terrorists = "Mission Accomplished" Go on with our lives like normal indeed. Unless neon space invanders that flip you off are involved.

Flynn

More greatness from Boing Boing:

If the last six years needed a punchline, it was delivered in Boston yesterday.

Next, let’s all get out our dictionary and look up “hoax”, shall we? Because while “War of the Worlds” was a hoax, this was not. There was no subterfuge involved, and no effort made to convince people that these devices were bombs. If I see a scary looking tree out my bedroom window, think it’s a monster, and then discover upon closer inspection that it isn’t, it doesn’t mean the tree has perpetrated a hoax against me. What it means is that for a moment I took leave of my senses. And just because I’m embarrassed about it doesn’t give me the right to go cut down the tree.

Link.

LED_P2010268.JPG

BostonPoliceBombSquad1.png

377167437_78150fdd88.jpg

Ponn

Banned
Why the **** do they keep calling lite brites "packages"??

It's a ****ing LITE BRITE! Can American media possibly keep making us all look dumber by the minute to the rest of the world.

shuri

Banned
After hearing this piece of news; i can honestly admit that the terrorists have won; and i'm serious.

A whole city paralized by a bunch of litebrite kits. Oh god.

pollo

Banned
wtf do you guys not read??? A whole city paralyzed? 99% of Boston didnt give a ****/weren't scared. It was totally blown out of proportion.

I didn't see anyone panic or give a shit. No ones lives were interrupted(other than commuters obviously)

blayne IV

Odjn said:
Then I heard they put like 56 of them in philly. And my quest to find and collect them has not stopped since.:D

I'll be looking for them around town tonight in philly as well. Last I heard Turner gave the police a list of the locations that they were but so far they had only found 1. Maybe people already got to them.

Plus the city is fining Turner something like a grand a day for everyday they were "supposedly" there, like the last two weeks. Seems kind of harsh since they only now care about them b/c of Boston

They need to put up those two billboards on 95 that had the giant neon mooninites on them. Greatest billboard EVER.

Does anyone know if they are selling these things as kits that you can buy yourself? I want one for my cube at work.

Chittagong

Gold Member
What a fantastic campaign. What a way to drive the point home.

While it's regrettable that a lot of hassle was caused to Boston, and important public resources occupied for it, this message is really important: don't let the terrorists win.

In this sense, London is completely different to the US. Even after the bus assaults, people wanted to take the bus to show that they will not be shaken by terrorism. In the US, on the other hand, the media and politics have rallied the country to a crazy fear.

Let's hope the general public gets this point. It might be challenging because it's such an embarrasment to the media that it might not be reported in this light.

Oh, and gotta check out that cartoon.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
:lol :lol :lol

so ridiculous. how did the police ever think this was something to devote any time to. I feel sorry for [adult swim] when they didn't do anything wrong

Reminds me of a couple of years ago when this kid from my sculpture class decided to put a bunch of empty cardboard boxes painted black with the word FEAR written on them all over the union square/14th st subway station as part of his installation piece.

Zaptruder

Banned
Chittagong said:
What a fantastic campaign. What a way to drive the point home.

While it's regrettable that a lot of hassle was caused to Boston, and important public resources occupied for it, this message is really important: don't let the terrorists win.

In this sense, London is completely different to the US. Even after the bus assaults, people wanted to take the bus to show that they will not be shaken by terrorism. In the US, on the other hand, the media and politics have rallied the country to a crazy fear.

Let's hope the general public gets this point. It might be challenging because it's such an embarrasment to the media that it might not be reported in this light.

Oh, and gotta check out that cartoon.

Overall, I'd say this was a crazy successful marketing campaign. Good work Boston, you helped both the terrorists and the greedy corporatists win! :p

Javaman

I wonder how many forum members would be defending these idiot artists if the subject matter wasn't so close to their hearts? Perhaps a viral ad campaign pushing women's shoes?

G4life98

Javaman said:
I wonder how many forum members would be defending these idiot artists if the subject matter wasn't so close to their hearts? Perhaps a viral ad campaign pushing women's shoes?

i think it would still be more fun to mock the government agencies who could not tell the difference between a toy and a bomb :lol

Javaman said:
The defense would probably be even more widespread because forum conservatives wouldn't be scared off by the dirty hippy pinko "idiot artists" angle.

Flynn

Javaman said:

It's a good thing it was ATHF. I'm unable to spot idiocy, incompetence and fear mongering unless I'm also thinking about one of my favorite cartoons.

yhst-37025177803217_1936_64.gif

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Javaman said:

Well, Flynn pretty much nailed it but man, you're really reaching.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Javaman said:
:lol :lol right

ZeoVGM

Banned
Flynn said:
It's a good thing it was ATHF. I'm unable to spot idiocy, incompetence and fear mongering unless I'm also thinking about one of my favorite cartoons.

yhst-37025177803217_1936_64.gif

Please tell me that's on a t-shirt.

Phoenix

BigGreenMat said:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/05/turner.settlement.ap/index.html

Well it looks like Turner has done the normal cowardly thing and just paid up. The guys haven't had their charges dropped yet, but I expect it'll happen soon. Nothing like a city cashing in on their own incompetence.

lol... yeah, they would just love to rake their name through the muck which would cost them even more money. I wonder if most GAF posters have ever been involved in business outside of just being employees.

Flynn

Phoenix said:
I'm going to Boston on the 28th of this month, but I have a feeling that if I wore one I might get attacked by Boston's bleeding hearts or arrested at the airport for being a bomb.

It bugs me when law-abiding citizens feel like they have to watch their step.

newsguy

SonnyBoy said:
Jim Samples just resigned from the Cartoon Network.

It's on cnn.com.

Yup...

BC-APNewsAlert,0036
ATLANTA (AP) -- The head of the Cartoon Network has resigned following the scare in Boston over a marketing stunt.
(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
APTV 02-09-07 1445EST

Flynn

This is ass backwards. It's Boston officials who should be resigning.

Some great deconstruction of this situation:

Official and local media reactions constitute a classic case of what psychologists call "hostile attributional syndrome." In this syndrome, subjects inappropriately react to neutral stimuli as if such stimuli were signals of real hostility. ...

First, we can see the historical and hysterical echoes of the 17th Century Salem witch trials. The two artists, the long-haired, bearded Belorussian immigrant Berdovsky and his sidekick, Stevens, stand publicly accused of producing, as defined by Massachusetts General Law, Chapter 266, Section 102, an "infernal machine." (Etymologically, the term "infernal" refers to Hell and the identities and products of the demons of said residence). So, like Arthur Miller's John Proctor, they will undoubtedly be asked to "make a deal" with official reality, to acknowledge their "infernal" (demonic) specific intent (as defined by the statute) and, in doing so, externalize the demons of the populace as they reaffirm the dominant symbolic order. [3] Contemporary ritual exorcisms will be performed in court, press conferences and press releases, and remixed and expanded by local and 24 hour news media, as they are archived for subsequent use.

Full story here. Via Boing Boing

EDIT:

Also 24+ Aqua Teen video.

Phoenix

Phoenix on 2/1 said:
I'm sure that will be comforting to the TWX employees who will be fired and the others that will be severely repremanded for their role in this.

He is just the only one public enough for you guys to know about, but he isn't the only one. That event rippled through Williams Street and there have been quite a few 'departures' of late. When you cost your employer $2 million.... its time to start updating your resume.

The two artists, the long-haired, bearded Belorussian immigrant Berdovsky and his sidekick, Stevens, stand publicly accused of producing, as defined by Massachusetts General Law, Chapter 266, Section 102, an "infernal machine."
B00000K5D8.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Phoenix said:
He is just the only one public enough for you guys to know about, but he isn't the only one. That event rippled through Williams Street and there have been quite a few 'departures' of late. When you cost your employer $2 million.... its time to start updating your resume.

It cost $2 million for a 30 second Super Bowl ad. World wide exposure would cost you a whole lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom