• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BOTW - Did you finish?

Have you finished BOTW

• Yes

Votes: 91 51.4%
  • No

Votes: 86 48.6%

• Total voters

Vyse

Gold Member
With the new Zelda coming out soon, I’m heading back to Hyrule once again to try and finish BOTW. This is the only mainstream Zelda game that I have not finished. I actually played and finished the first Zelda on my fiends NES when I was staying with his family on winter break from college.

Anyone else in the same position? Can’t really figure out why this one never clicked with me.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yep, finished it. I don't know if I'll ever replay it though, especially with the sequel seemingly allowing for a lot more varied gameplay in a similar locale.

kunonabi

Yeah, I 100%ed it since I made it a point to try and do that with every major Wii U game. It was an absolutely miserable experience since I stopped enjoying the game at the 40 hour mark when I realized how repetitive and pointless the vast majority of the game is.

Mitsurux

Yes, i beat it:
Did all 120 shrines
Did not find all the Koroks

Bought the DLC, but did not complete it

Recently began a new Game on the Wiiu just to play around before TotK comes out, had a blast.

Calverz

I finished the story once. Dont think I even bothered with the dlc i bought. Im probably going to wait with totk this time.

Majukun

if a game doesn't click don't force yourself, no game is for everybody, and if you are not having fun, what's the point?

Robb

Gold Member
Yeah, I’m on my third playthrough right now. Doubt I’ll finish this run though, Master Mode is a bit of a drag tbh.

But on my first run I completed the story and every single shrine.

MiguelItUp

Nope. I was really feeling it and tried to complete all the dungeons. Got burnt out, put it down, and never picked it back up.

Yeah. I didn't 100% it or do the master mode/trial of the swords but i finished it.

Maybe once I'm done with TOTK i'll go back to it. I did plan on playing BOTW again before TOTK but decided to focus on games I hadn't played.

I wasn't a huge Zelda fan prior to BOTW. I had played Ocarina on 3DS but had to use a guide and rushed towards the end. BOTW is the one that got me hooked.

Last edited:

Paltheos

Finished it*. I 100%ed the base game but didn't finish the DLC. IIRC, I think I felt the last shrines were more trouble than they were worth by the end.

Despite that, I'm still really excited for TOTK.

Yes, i beat it:
Did all 120 shrines
Did not find all the Koroks

Bought the DLC, but did not complete it

Recently began a new Game on the Wiiu just to play around before TotK comes out, had a blast.

*reads through posts*
I need to correct myself then. I too did not find all the Koroks lol. By 100%, I meant 'got enough of the Koroks to get all the unlocks'. I love BOTW but not enough to find all those seeds. That's a different level of fanaticism.

Emedan

I did a 55 hour playthrough about 2 years ago. I just recently picked it up again in anticipation for TOTK. I'm two Beasts down. Trying to explore a bit more this time around. I'm a heart away from the master sword at this point. I think I'll finish it by the new release, though I got Metroid remastered coming in this week as well.

Vyse

Gold Member
if a game doesn't click don't force yourself, no game is for everybody, and if you are not having fun, what's the point?
I hear you. Sometimes I have to just be in the right mood for a type of game to click.

LastBattle

Never finished it. Invested way too much of
My time before questioning why I was playing it as I was not enjoying it at all. I kept hoping it would get better but sadly it wasn’t for me. I really wanted to love it too.

I played and completed Horizon Zero Dawn right before playing BoTW and this soured my experience as I personally found Horizon to be a far more engaging open world
game.

Last edited:

Marc13

I disliked this game for the first 10 hours. My kid kept wanting me to play though. Eventually, it was more about sharing time with him. I looked online for some help to progress through the game faster and I eventually beat Ganon. It was well worth the time and I had a blast. Looking forward to Tears of the Kingdom.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Nope. One of the most boring games ive ever played. Got stuck trying to get into that lesbian colony and never went back. Did the first three 'divine bosses' and enough shrines to get the master sword which broke in two minutes.

Pedro Motta

Come On Smile GIF by The Boys

900 Korok seeds? Fuck that.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Of course! Finished it twice.

First time on Wii U at launch. Did a mostly blind run and ended up with a playtime of roughly 100 hours. Did around 70 shrines and maybe like 30-40 Korok seeds. Experiencing that world for the first time was truly a magic moment for me, much like Super Mario 64 or World of Warcraft before it. Suddenly seeing that huge dragon flying over your head while you're just trying to scale a mountain was just a jawdropping moment for me.

Second time was last year on Switch. Obviously the magic of discovering a world for the first time wasn't there anymore, but knowing how everything works made up for that. While the weapon breaking system could get annoying when I first played it years ago, this time around I always had a huge amount of equally great back-up weapons so it never was an issue.

Vroadstar

I bought a Switch for BOTW around 2017, but until now I'm probably just 10% done, never really clicked for me. My son seems to like it and finished it twice.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Yep, one of the few games I've finished in the past few years, and the very first Zelda game I ever completed. It was fun, but I never felt compelled to play it again, especially with all the unnecessary busywork.

Topher

Gold Member
No, but I just recently started playing it again. I'm enjoying it more this time than I did initially. I think going in having a better understanding of how the weapon system works makes for a less frustrating experience.

Jayjayhd34

I bought for Wii u to play it completed it and sold the Wii u. Never bought for switch might do in the coming weeks.

Top Bottom