• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BOTW - Did you finish?

Have you finished BOTW

• Yes

Votes: 91 51.4%
  • No

Votes: 86 48.6%

• Total voters

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not me, two beasts done and got to a bird village. I check in every 6-12months, wander around trying to work out what to do / where to go and then turn it off.

The map shows you though? The entire game is literally just:

1. Do the four beasts (even this is actually optional)
2. Kill Ganon

Then there's a lot of other stuff you CAN do, but this is the entire main progression. I really do not understand how anyone would have trouble figuring out "what do to / where to go". It makes no sense at all.

GymWolf

Wow you're like my twin.

I occasionally warp to the tower near Hyrule Castle to go farming ancient cores etc. to trade in for gear at the Akkala Lab, and I also go to the place in desert-ish area where one of the Lynels is. I still haven't managed to kill a single fucking Lynel. I'm just shit at games. BOTW is that perfect mix of "easy to pick up, difficult to master". I've completed loads of the shrines though so I can warp to most places on the map despite not having unlocked the towers in those areas (and therefore having an almost completely blank world map).

It's one of those "the journey is more important than the end goal" types of games.
Eat a +3 defense food and you can tank a lot of hits from them, when you learn the time for the parry, they become trivial, they are the only decent enemy in the game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You should remap the jump to triangle\y, if i remember well you can't put it into X\A so triangle is the best choice.

But yeah, control layout was a bit funny if i remember well.

I would say you shouldn't. You use the sprint button more than the jump button, so the default layout works best.

GymWolf

I would say you shouldn't. You use the sprint button more than the jump button, so the default layout works best.
I remember that jumping after a sprint was uncomfortable at the beginning so i definitely changed something, i think it was the jump button but i'm not sure...

The game does some strange ass things control wise, like not having a dedicated evade button outside of when you lock to an enemy, such a bizzare choice in a modern game.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I remember that jumping after a sprint was uncomfortable at the beginning so i definitely changed something.

The game has some strange ass things control wise, like not having a dedicated evade button outside of when you lock to an enemy, such a bizzare choice in a modern game.

It doesn't really become any less awkward by switching jump and sprint (X and B), they are still on the top and bottom. That's all the remapping you can do in the game at least, maybe the OS supports further remapping?

But this isn't really a problem, there's a "delay" after releasing the sprint button until you actually stop sprinting, so you don't have to press both buttons at once to sprint jump. Just release sprint and then press jump.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It doesn't really become and less awkward by switching jump and sprint (X and B), they are still on the top and bottom. That's all the remapping you can do in the game at least, maybe the OS supports further remapping?
Well then i just preferred that way personally.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well then i just preferred that way personally.
I would say that either way you get used to it quickly. I also thought the default mapping felt strange at first (because that's not where the jump button is in most games), and I did switch for a while, but I found the default worked best overall and quickly got used to it.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I would say that either way you get used to it quickly. I also thought the default mapping felt strange at first (because that's not where the jump button is in most games), and I did switch for a while, but I found the default worked best overall and quickly got used to it.
I switched a couple of times but in the end jump on triangle was the less worse to me, still not optimal.

(It's like when you buy some jap games that have confirm on b and cancel on x)

mxbison

Yes, didn't do all the content but probably spent around 60-70 hours for my playthrough.

Great game. Still not hyped by all the sandbox stuff they showed for TotK.

Sw0pDiller

Tried playing it again on my Wii u. Alas the system give me an error after about 15 min of playtime about the disk being unreadable. Disk is spotless, I don't understand. Game runs like ass on Wii u but the atmosfere is great. All other game become unplayable for me but with Zelda I keep pushing.

kevm3

I could only play for a few hours before realizing this game wasn't for me. Either you really love this game and the 'open sandbox' thing or you dislike it. Not really engaging to me. I prefer the older Zelda titles.

cireza

Finished a proper playthrough even though it became incredibly repetitive and boring, and a second one where I rushed for the castle, and saw that it was actually manageable from the beginning. And that I could drop excellent weapons and the shield from the very beginning of the game, making the rest of the content in the world even more useless.

Yes and I loved it. I didn't even own a Switch until January of last year when I also picked up BotW. I didn't know much about that game either, really hadn't consumed any media on it despite it being so old at that point so it was a great experience, I was really surprised. I knew it was "open worldish" but that's it. I really enjoyed the game though some aspects did wear a bit by the time I was at the end especially due to gained knowledge of the systems - the first 1/3 of the game was very, very enjoyable. I hope TotK is really excellent.

Kupfer

I'm on top of the very first tower. Took me hours to figure out how to get this running well on the Deck.
Thought maybe one day I will play it. We'll see.

Vyse

Gold Member
Okay so I have been playing again and really like the game much more than the past few times I tried. Will say that this game does not do any hand holding. Dying a lot, but seem to be getting the hang of things. Looking forward to the new game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom