• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BOTW - Did you finish?

Have you finished BOTW

• Yes

Votes: 91 51.4%
  • No

Votes: 86 48.6%

• Total voters

Chupanibre

I've had the game since release and never finished it. Haven't turned on my switch in over a year, so it's looking unlikely that I'll ever finish it.

Was a tedious game.

Mistake

The only thing I didn’t finish were the armor upgrades and seeds. I just didn’t see a reason to do it and stopped playing. BotW is decent for what it is, but I wasn’t too impressed and could have skipped. Since the next game uses the same engine and style, I might not buy it. The initial trailers had me hoping the game would be a lot darker until they pulled a 180 and showed that half the game would be in the sky :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Last edited:

LQX

Finished it on the Wii U then tried it on PC and put damn near 200 hours more into it. Ugh, you see the perfection that game is running on an emulator maxed graphically. It was like a whole new experience.

Madjaba

Yeah I finished it in early January and it didn't particularly click with me.

I was not really keen to play TOTK and the last gameplay presentation didn't really change that feeling but I'll read previews and watch gameplay videos though.

I really like "Classic Zelda games" but the open world formula is not working for me and the next one has this kind of "more of the same" feeling right now.

nikos

Nope.

Did a couple of divine beasts and a ton of stuff along the way. Got the Master Sword because I was tired of weapons breaking, before learning it can also break, but never ended up completing the game.

Arachnid

Yep. One of the few games in recent years I did everything there was to do including DLC (except korok seeds; fuk that). Can't wait for 2

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Yes! My first games of Switch! One of the best experience in my life
Sad Brad Pitt GIF

Rush2112

Banned
No. I even downloaded it and have it set up to play at 4k on emulator. It’s a great game but there are better ones that keep me from playing it.

Yup, it was incredible. But by the end (all shrines run) I was tired of it. Hoping TotK won’t be too much more of the same, I don’t know if I’ll be able to play it to completion. No interest in the sandbox aspects.

With the new Zelda coming out soon, I’m heading back to Hyrule once again to try and finish BOTW. This is the only mainstream Zelda game that I have not finished. I actually played and finished the first Zelda on my fiends NES when I was staying with his family on winter break from college.

Anyone else in the same position? Can’t really figure out why this one never clicked with me.
Finished 2x in normal mode, still need to finish my master mode run.

I'm down to:

Shrines - completed.
Devine Beasts - completed.
Master Sword - Final Trials
Grandma Monk - Dat old bat wiping the floor with me. Link just too damn slow including rolling ragdoll physic.
Calamity Ganon - just murdered me in seconds.

Korok seeds

113 collected so far. (will reach 441) neglected this entire game.
Using a map while wearing the korok mask. Don't have time to hunt every square inch of the map!

Clothes:

a few clothes upgraded including climbing, swimming gears and ancient gear armor.
ain't got time for dat!

Can't wait for TOTK!!!!

Last edited:
I used to work a graveyard shift desk job with hours of down time every night, so I beat the game nornally, then went back and beat it on Master Mode 100%, including all DLC and armor upgrades. Took about 300 hours, can't wait to play Tearz for the next 5 years

fart town usa

Gold Member
It took a few months and roughly 40 hours for BOTW to really click . Ended up doing the majority of everything and put 80+ hours into it. I really enjoyed the game as a whole.

I'll be skipping out on TOTK though. I just don't have it in me to see it through. The few videos I've seen just remind me of the slog and I just have too many other things to play. I'd also need to get a pro controller. Just not worth the money and time.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I really liked what Ive seen of the world, but I hated the battle system. That disabled me from finishing it. Well maybe not disable, but I lost my patience.

Vyse

Gold Member
I'm down to:

Shrines - completed.
Devine Beasts - completed.
Master Sword - Final Trials
Grandma Monk - Dat old bat wiping the floor with me. Link just too damn slow including rolling ragdoll physic.
Calamity Ganon - just murdered me in seconds.

Korok seeds

113 collected so far. (will reach 441) neglected this entire game.
Using a map while wearing the korok mask. Don't have time to hunt every square inch of the map!

Clothes:

a few clothes upgraded including climbing, swimming gears and ancient gear armor.
ain't got time for dat!

Can't wait for TOTK!!!!
Nice. Love the hype and dedication!

Trilobit

Did get all of the four big robot animals to project their lasers, but never finished dealing with Ganon. Was thinking about replaying and finishing it before TotK, but watched a let's play of the ending instead. Must say that the final ending wasn't that long or special.

Looking forward to TotK, but I might not buy it on release day as I'm not super into the tractors and whatnots. I hope the next Zelda game is more fantasy than scifi.

With all that said I loved BotW! It was a magical gaming experience, one of the best I've had. I didn't mind the weapon's breaking system. I loved taking my sweet time with every part of the map and each time I ventured into a new place it felt like an adventure. I would have loved the possibility to set up a tent and just sit in it like in RDR2. The world felt hostile and wonderful at the same time so just chilling in a tent would have been a sweet way to absorb the atmosphere and world.

Lunarorbit

Just like skyrim I never finished botw but started it and got far multiple times. Bought a set of digital cards that had all the qr codes for all the ambiio. That was alot of fun too.

Crayon

I finished it and I wasn't exactly in a rush. Spent a lot of time. When the dlc came out, I started a game in master mode and I chip at that ever once in awhile ever since. I was just playing it a month ago or so. No idea how many hours in it but that save is just to lazily get around and make a little progress here and there. I have not seen all of the dlc content but I'm not trying to do all of that before I finally shelve the game and start on totk.

ssringo

Took me 3 or 4 tries and a lot of spare time with no new games I wanted to play but yeah, I got through it. And shelved it for good afterwards.

Nope, never did. I really need to go back, but my backlog is insane. Juggling 4-5 games right now.
That being said, I liked botw, but that weapon breaking shit was annoying. I also didn't enjoy the cooking minigame thing. Why make cooking such a big focus? Miyamoto was hungry when they put that in wasn't he?

The game, from where I got, felt like it was lacking cool unique items and weapons. It was all generic stuff. There was only a few tools and felt very samey.
Maybe I should go back and play it.

Only Zelda games I beat was, Zelda 1 on gold nes cart, crica 1988, and zelda 2(with help from neighbor kid). Played all the others minus skyward sword and windwaker.

LastBattle

Eh, part of the fun is just exploring the terrain. Even if you climb a mountain or discover an out of sight area and don't find something to do or collect, you should still be having fun exploring and traversing the terrain. If not, it's probably not for you.

That being said, I don't remember having this problem. If iI saw an area that looked interesting or unique, I remember almost always finding a collectible or something to find/do in that area.
The exploration aspect of BoTW is great, it’s such a shame that mostly, the reward for doing so isn’t worth it.

Last edited:

Ornoku

Beat it 100%. I just stopped comparing it to past traditional Zelda games and I enjoyed it a lot. Pretty good game, nothing revolutionary or anything though, very repetitive.

Vyse

Gold Member
Okay so I’m a few hours in. Didn’t remember the noise and temperature playing a part. Pretty cool. Made it past the first part. Button mapping is really strange to me. Trying to figure out if I can remap.

Lasha

I beat it without realizing I was supposed to do other stuff. I did a bunch of shrines and wandered into the final boss. I later learned why the boss was so fucking hard to beat.

I’ve never been a fan of the open world Zelda games. When I think of Zelda I prefer the top down view (Link to the Past). I got around 15 hours into BotW and couldn’t stay invested. Not saying it’s a bad game, just not for me.

GMCamaro

I ended up rushing to beat it because I was getting bored with the multiple side quests and stuff. Figured I would play it more after I beat Ganon, but no. That was the end of my time in BotW.

Mr Branding

Just the story and lost interest by the end, wanted to get it over with. Tbh, every game pushing past 30hrs does this to me. Still, one of the greatest games you can play on the Switch.

supernova8

Banned
Not me, two beasts done and got to a bird village. I check in every 6-12months, wander around trying to work out what to do / where to go and then turn it off.
Wow you're like my twin.

I occasionally warp to the tower near Hyrule Castle to go farming ancient cores etc. to trade in for gear at the Akkala Lab, and I also go to the place in desert-ish area where one of the Lynels is. I still haven't managed to kill a single fucking Lynel. I'm just shit at games. BOTW is that perfect mix of "easy to pick up, difficult to master". I've completed loads of the shrines though so I can warp to most places on the map despite not having unlocked the towers in those areas (and therefore having an almost completely blank world map).

It's one of those "the journey is more important than the end goal" types of games.

GymWolf

Okay so I’m a few hours in. Didn’t remember the noise and temperature playing a part. Pretty cool. Made it past the first part. Button mapping is really strange to me. Trying to figure out if I can remap.
You should remap the jump to triangle\y, if i remember well you can't put it into X\A so triangle is the best choice.

But yeah, control layout was a bit funny if i remember well.

Top Bottom