• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

bought a PS2, more excited than PS5

_Ex_

I still play PS2 regularly. The console had an insanely awesome library, so it was difficult to try to play everything good the system had during its prime time. I'm currently playing Rogue Galaxy actually, a JRPG I bought back in 2007 but am only just now getting to. There's plenty more PS2 games on the shelf I bought years ago, and still haven't gotten to yet.

It's from the Simple2000 series which basically translates as 2000 Yen or $20 games. They were deliberately made on a budget but I'm still impressed they were able to make something unique and fun.

To a lot of people they look ugly, but I appreciate the developers were willing to try anything.

Female Boxing

A Basketball Game that is also a Fighting game

Pool Party

Games to me should just be about fun, and we kinda lost that after the PS2 generation went away.

Ok, the $20 budget price point changes my opinion. Also that basketball fighting game looks kinda rad.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
AAA... not a whole lot. Mid-tier stuff? There are quite a few. But the point is mostly that multiplatform games are overwhelmingly better on PC. Which has precisely nothing to do with the OP's Playstation 2.
I bet PS5 will be better than 90% of people's gaming rigs haha but at least he gets to play some exclusives from both sides I guess đź‘Ť

You play on PC... there isn't any AAA exclusives on PC is there? Besides Star Citizen? Honest question lol

I don't really play many games on PC either because I don't wanna do much besides having a classic console experience of just putting the disc in and playing

buy disc, install for an hour, wait for a few hours for updates. and pay for online to play. buy dlc etc. nah am done with that lmao.

Dark Star

ps2_hitmancontracts_pal_thumb.jpg

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Congrats on getting the best console ever!

Component cable is a good choice. I have component to my big TV and the image is crisp and beautiful.
There are so many great games for the PS2. Atelier Iris, Alundra, Wild Arms, ...

You did not mention, but I hope you got a fat model. Then you can use this:
which will make your PS2 even more awesomerer.
>Atelier Iris

Aw hell yeah lemme buy you a drink.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I don't really play many games on PC either because I don't wanna do much besides having a classic console experience of just putting the disc in and playing

buy disc, install for an hour, wait for a few hours for updates. and pay for online to play. buy dlc etc. nah am done with that lmao.
Lol I can respect it. I'm going retro when my SP games can't be played offline

I'm thinking of getting a modded PS2.

Modded PS2's don't really cost a lot of money (though maybe, you could soft mod a PS2 yourself, which I don't think is very hard) and they are worth it, if you want the full PS2 experience. Though it is quite easy to get a lot of PS2 library on PS3. It's a good way to try out the pS2 library on real hardware, and just buy the games you really want. The PS2 is a pretty easy system to make a games collection for. There were like what... 5000 licensed games released for the system? Some PS2 games can be pricey (for some reason Silent Hill Shattered Memories goes for quite a bit) , but the majority of the library is pretty inexpensive.

Last edited:

Kazza

Wish I went with that instead of GameCube.

It's never too late! That gen of games and consoles were all still super cheap the last time I checked. You should be acquire a pretty decent collection without spending too much money.

That said, Gamecube was great too (and that's not nostalgia speaking, I only bought one a couple f years back)

Bkdk

Yep, remember PS2 took away 30-40% of my gaming time from PC back then, though games are linear which not the genre I like the most, at least most of them have really interesting characters/world/enemies designs and great soundtrack to keep me interested for awhile. Whenever I'm on twitch and not watching esports, I'm watching mostly ps2 games speedruns/playthroughs. I wish sony will focus on remakes like capcom for ps5, Most of their pre ps3 exclusives do have quite a lot of potential to be better than what they are making right now if it's properly remade with AAA budget.

tecmo9000

Yep, remember PS2 took away 30-40% of my gaming time from PC back then, though games are linear which not the genre I like the most, at least most of them have really interesting characters/world/enemies designs and great soundtrack to keep me interested for awhile. Whenever I'm on twitch and not watching esports, I'm watching mostly ps2 games speedruns/playthroughs. I wish sony will focus on remakes like capcom for ps5, Most of their pre ps3 exclusives do have quite a lot of potential to be better than what they are making right now if it's properly remade with AAA budget.

Im probably in the minority, but I prefer PS2 God of War Games over the PS4 versions, just saying.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Does anybody know if there's a way of modding the original PS3 that backwards compatibility to play Jap games (PS2) on a UK machine.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I bought a PS2 recently and play it way more than my PS4. I bought about 20 games for it so I'm good for a while yet. Also, I can run them on my pc too. I ripped all the discs and use pcsx2.

HE1NZ

Banned
The key to playing anything before the 360/ps3 is to play on a CRT. Use component cables or S-video if you can..

I hooked up my ps3 to my CRT with component cables to play PS1 classics.
Not true. Xbox and GC/Wii look great on HDTV because of 480p support. PS2 have serious issues though because it's designed with interlacing in mind. It depends on internal scaler in your TV, but on mine it looks like crap most of the time unless I run it through RetroTink (an external scaler thing).

KOMANI

KOMANI
I bought a ps3 60 gb fat test console for this very reason. Now i’m looking to sell my ps4 after I pick up a turbogrfx mini, because I still want to keep playing Rondo of Blood.

You absolutely need an rgb equipped crt.

And no blowing up these games in pcsx2 does not do them justice.

Yeah I tried emulating the games they just don't seem the same. maybe subjectively the experience is not the same as holding an actual ps2 controller and playing the games on the system.

I have this farfetched hope that Sony has some foresight to make the PS5 a viable platform for PS2, PS3 and even PS1 development again. I'd be hopeful that it could lead to reingniting a creative resurgence much akin to the PS2's.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
The key to playing anything before the 360/ps3 is to play on a CRT. Use component cables or S-video if you can..

I hooked up my ps3 to my CRT with component cables to play PS1 classics.

PS2 with component cables to a modern TV is still super beautiful, crisp and sharp.

PS1 with composite, well, yeah a CRT would be good.

KiteGr

Mondai has made a similar PS2 topic like this not to long ago asking for PS2 suggestions.

I'll just quote my answer to that thread over here

First of all... If you live anywhere alse than America or Japan, don't bother. The pal territories got the low end of the stick. The 50hz aren't always an issue, as most games where it matters often give you the option to choose between 50hz or 60hz (and some times even progressive scan).

The real issue is the region coding. We've missed tons of games here, especially Jrpgs that looked more animeish that they should. To give you an example, the first Tales game game to release on a EU sony console was Tales of Graces F. You will be better off using emulators or importing your console from the US.

Once you solve the region problem (if you had any) then taking into account and excluding those who have recent good remasters, I suggest the following.

Starting with horror:
silent_hill_2_frontcover_large_m5nWQIewNpjmfYG.jpg
silent_hill_3_frontcover_large_6AoBQnRJjglH7MD.jpg
Silent Hill 2, 3.​
The legendary series of horror. The 3rd isn't as good as the 2nd but it's still good.​
fatal_frame_frontcover_large_F1xKktAMhdr6gWx.jpg
fatal_frame_ii_crimson_butterfly_frontcover_large_uBirSTQFDKg5cPA.jpg
fatal_frame_iii_the_tormented_frontcover_large_ch9lei0MpIL4mHD.jpg
Fatal Frame/Project Zero 1, 2 & 3.​
The actual scariest games on the ps2. The us version of the first game had an atrocious cover but they've learned after that. After those 3, they've jumped to Nintendo consoles, and like most other PlayStation IPs that jumped ship they fell to obscurity, forcing motion controls into the game, falling back graphically, making all characters look like Idols and abandoning the fixed cinematic cameras for "behind the back" ones. The ps2 was the golden age of the series.​
haunting_ground_frontcover_large_6ODPn0NLgms8HII.jpg
Haunting Ground.​
Originally intended to be Clock Tower 4, it's changed its brand after the failure of the 3rd. It's a shame, because they improved the formula in every single aspect. The direction remained trippy, the pursuers are now themed around rapists (though they don't explicitly tell it) the pursuing mechanics where massively improved, there are tons of secrets and unlockables and you have a good boy helping you.​

Now lets go to RPGs:
dark_cloud_2_frontcover_large_SUD4JXvv8nMGvpy.jpg
Dark Cloud 2/ Dark Chronicle.
The first game didn't age very well, but the sequel is so much better and independent so you shouldn't care.​
xenosaga_episode_1_der_wille_zur_macht_frontcover_large_qoCUPLSl7KKYnh1.jpg
xenosaga_episode_ii_frontcover_large_tcAqQC9hDkHthUJ.png
xenosaga_episode_iii_frontcover_large_itkKpcGL3tXMirR.jpg
Xenosaga trilogy.
I haven't played them (living in Europe) but if you ask anyone who did, he'll tell you that they are among the best! The remasters have been recently confirmed to be cancelled, so go nuts!​
tales_of_legendia_frontcover_large_SVoWESa5b66LM5M.jpg
tales_of_the_abyss_frontcover_large_8x2FnWkyo7qUHzj.jpg
Tales games.​
There are tons of them. Sadly, once again they never reached pal territories, nether got remastered, so I can't tell my self about them.​
shadow_hearts_frontcover_large_wKkXZNXgnmbAxss.jpg
shadow_hearts_covenant_frontcover_large_nIiLWdKMcs8qrL8.jpg
shadow_hearts_from_the_new_world_frontcover_large_JD5493MNObMefgR.jpg
Shadow hearts trilogy.
Taking place on the same universe as Koudelka (ps1 rpg horror) it's one of the best rpgs the console could offer. The 1rst is a bit old and the 3rd has a more independent story, but their quality remains.​
Legend%2Bof%2BLegaia.jpg
wild_arms_4_frontcover_large_48RHTOLb0AEgezq.jpg
wild_arms_the_vth_vanguard_import_frontcover_large_oPIUE4YJW9ouhW2.jpg
Wild Arms 3, 4 & 5.​
I'll just say one thing. "Wild west inspired Jrpg..."​
breath_of_fire_dragon_quarter_frontcover_large_qI3dWcqGX4Wzr5q.jpg
Breath of Fire: Dragon quarter.​
This one is a bizarre and polarizing game in the series. It was made to require a restarting of playthrough. If you are hard core enough you can try it.​
persona_3_fes_frontcover_large_A78E2hsN6nn1xA4.jpg
Persona 3 fes.​
The 4rth game got a fantastic remaster on the Vita, but this one didn't get a proper one. The psp remaster improved many gameplay aspects, but essentially removed most of the graphics. This ps2 version is the last edition with graphics.​
grandia_iii_frontcover_large_a1oqYhroD3cp88P.jpg
Grandia 3.​
It's not the best in the series, but it's still good, and the ps2 is the only place you can find it. Don't bother with Grandia 2. It's ps2 port is horrible!​
suikoden_iii_frontcover_large_arGwnuL4JJhmRFI.jpg
suikoden_v_frontcover_large_o8ltaD8hCgwGeje.jpg
Suikoden 3 & 5.
S3 is a bit old but it checks out. S5 is a bit rare, but if find the means to play it it's among the best. Don't bother with S4 or tactics unless you are a hardcore fan.​
dragon_quest_viii_journey_of_the_cursed_king_frontcover_large_5BYGW8j3wEO1k2U.jpg
Dragon Quest 8.
The first DQ game to reach Europe, and with good reasons. They've put lots of effort on this one!​
grimgrimoire_frontcover_large_ji1JewibEPjjc6N.jpg
Grimmgrimoire.​
It's a Vanilaware game!​
growlanser_generations_frontcover_large_LRdS54GM0Ij2qrn.jpg
Growlancer games.​
Anyone you can find. Their releases outside of Japan are very spotty.​
rogue_galaxy_frontcover_large_NtZQ6srdTSl9WOG.jpg
Rogue Galaxy
The story is an obvious Star Wars rip-off, but this is one RPG very well made! One of the last JRPGs to hit the PS2, it shows all the lessons they've learned. It's also available on PSN for the PS4 with various graphical enhancements, but as I said, Digital-only don't count, and therefore it's on this list.​
star_ocean_iii_till_the_end_of_time_frontcover_large_nXCsnDvWnqPXr18.jpg
Star Ocean: Till the end of time!
The 3rd game in the series, and it clearly had a lot of work put into it. In Japan it had a massive accident, where the devs relied on an aspect of PS2 that didn't exist in the newer models making unplayable forcing a recall and it gathered lots of negative press (needless to say ours is the fixed edition). In actuality, the game is huge, with very good action combat, two disks worth of story. Just remember that like all previews Star Ocean games until that point, the majority of the game takes place i a medieval planet.​
valkyrie_profile_2_silmeria_frontcover_large_MRcGwq2hb6h8noN.jpg
Valkyrie Profile 2
The prequel to the PS1 Valkyrie Simulator, this one simplified some of it's aspects, (some for the better, some for the worse) but it's undeniably a more polished game. Since it's a prequel, you don't need to have played the first game.​

Other games:
ape_escape_2_frontcover_large_PfXH6ZCeiWImltQ.jpg
ape_escape_3_frontcover_large_Vzaa3zjlax35sO0.jpg
Ape escape 2 & 3.​
Kojima's continuation of the gimmick series.​
klonoa_2_frontcover_large_5vxBu6ELbsAP11c.jpg
Klonoa 2. Lunatias Vail.​
The only sequel in this underrated series.​
rayman_2_revolution_frontcover_large_tw6gJhKBxjaIsIE.jpg
rayman_3_hoodlum_havoc_frontcover_large_KgeVo1tYsfAYzYv.jpg
Rayman Revolution & 3.​
The ps2 version of R2 is unique, with exclusive stages, a hub world and voice acting. Not all changes are for the best (namely the voice acting), but it's worth a look!​
indigo_prophecy_frontcover_large_vQX9qVWbiITd3U8.jpg
Indigo Prophesy/ Fahrenheit.​
The game that started the interactive movie trend.​
guilty_gear_x_frontcover_large_G0HV4nYSsioj9Je.jpg
guilty_gear_xx_reload_import_frontcover_large_jVZVHekAjlLB1dw.jpg
guilty_gear_xx_accent_core_plus_frontcover_large_D0RiHiCouNGDJ6S.jpg
Guilty Gear X, XX reload & XX accent core plus.​
One of the best fighting game series. XX reload and Accent core plus are technically the same game, but they have enough changes to justify the extra purchase (including a new story).​
s-l1600.jpg
Samurai Shodown Anthology.​
It has them all! Especially the US version that has V special that had fatalities.​
gregory_horror_show_import_frontcover_large_BBBZO1LmRIuBYzt.jpg
Gregory Horror Show.​
It's "Hotel California" the game! It's graphics are weird but don't let them fool you.​
beyond_good__evil_frontcover_large_bRygAaxsHVSAtH0.jpg
Beyond good and Evil
One of Ubisoft's most underrated games! I don't know what drove people off, my money are on the color palette. There is a remaster on PS3, but it's digital-only and for me it doesn't count.​
shinobi_frontcover_large_N2oib9QU4Bzc6fO.jpg
nightshade_frontcover_large_8PFmWOR6b8bIwvK.jpg
Shinobi & Nightshade/Kunoichi
Just like the past with Nintendo and Sega, this is the Ninja gaiden of the Sony consoles. The Shinobi series went for a reboot on the PS2, and they brought a new slicing mechanism to justify it. The action is fast, and the game encourage you to play even faster and it's generally one of the hardest games on the console! The sequel, known as Nightshade in the west, ditched the stressful life drain for aerial combat (which is even more stressfull).​
timesplitters_frontcover_large_IE5wdS8JNldt3PD.jpg
timesplitters_2_frontcover_large_PU2IEdOnYSvD0Gi.jpg
timesplitters_future_perfect_frontcover_large_XQeBD6NBusmtS4w.jpg
Time Splitter series.
I had little faith that an FPS could be done well on a console, until I played this game. Made from the same team that made Golden Eye, every aspect of it's FPS is designed for consoles from the get go. It has all the necessary tools for a fantastic local multiplayer, including tons of modifiers, tons of models, tons of stages, a level editor and co-op on every single story mission!​
Mister_Mosquito_Coverart.png
Mister Mosquito.
Here is a weird one... You are a mosquito! Your job is to land in various hot-spots of a family's bodies and suck their blood without them figuring you out.​
musashi_samurai_legend_frontcover_large_VeOZw15xBK3ASdx.jpg
Musashi Samurai Legend
A sequel/reboon of Brave Fencer Musashi. This one was made by nomura, and he brought all his quorks we've later seen in kingdom hearts. While it apparently lost some of it's charm and color from the original, this is still a very polished game!​
transformers_frontcover_large_a7FtcSd0DbsjmwN.jpg
Transformers
This one is surprisingly good for a licenced game! You control one of 3 transformers in big maps, changing between car and robot on the fly, and finding/using special add-ons to modify their play!​
summoner_frontcover_large_jFiAcG3F0qPD1sm.jpg
Summoner
The first game is old, and the second game isn't nearly as good. This is a somewhat decent Western RPG for you to try.​

Those are the ones that immediately come to mind.
There are plenty more, but they have already been been remastered or remade. Consider this a hint and check all those remaster.

The PS2 fucking rules, easily my all time favorite console, hard to believe this year marks the 20th anniversary.

I'm very glad to still own a nice CRT and honestly, I think PS2 games still look fucking great on it, there's just something evergreen about many of the games' graphics.

The only real downside to it that I can think of is that it was allllllll about the Japanese games, outside of Sony's own games I seem to remember most western exclusive games on the console being trash.

mekes

Yeah I have been tempted to do the same. The only thing that stopped me around Christmas time was finding out that I would need to buy something akin to a OSSC to reduce input lag. I spent a while researching that.

Back then you had to discard good games because there were too many releases, I'm sure a lot of people who had the PS2 back in the day (me included) still haven't played all they wanted from that console.

HeresJohnny

am very excited I got a component cable too. I wanna buy a 2nd controller but they cost a fortune. and hard to tell if its fake

just wanted to say that PS3/X360 was the last console gen, these new ones are PC boxes with propriety OS, downloading updates, dealing with technical issues lack of updates. you know that was the whole point of owning a console not dealing with some issues you might get on PC sometimes with hardware. oh, and even worse, pay for online. no thanks. yikes.
While I agree with this, your take is decidedly myopic given how many great exclusives came out on the PS4. Just because the PC has polluted the console experience somewhat doesn't take away from some of the amazing titles on the platform.

PocoJoe

Banned
I have 5-7x ps2 + around 350 games, had maybe 700 but sold some to make a room.

And maybe 80 physical ps4 games

So if ps5 plays both, it will be glorious

All due respect to its incredible library, but I never found PS2 graphics to be that appealing.

Coming from the Dreamcast and GameCube, they often looked foggy and muddy to me at the time.

Did this not bother anyone else? Never owned one, maybe I'm only remembering the early part of the generation?

Nickolaidas

The PS2 is an amazing console because it has more exclusives than the PS4 or the PS5 will ever have. And that makes it better than those consoles. That's what you're saying, OP?

Well, that's the weirdest reasoning I've ever heard in my entire gaming life.

A game's quality shouldn't be measured depending on whether it is an exclusive or not; it should be measured on whether it's actually GOOD.

Yes, the PS2 has a solid library and some awesome games, but for the life of me, I like to consider Devil May Cry 1 an inferior game to Devil May Cry 5, or Budokai 3 to FighterZ, or Final Fantasy X to FFVII remake. Or Resident Evil 4 (PS2 version) to RE2make.

Games evolve, and the majority becomes better. Both in terms of gameplay as well as visuals.

Top Bottom