• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bought Max Payne 3 for PC! checked it's size and it's 25 GB. What what what?

SMH. If you're that bothered why don't you go back to 2008 where PC ports were awful but had small install sizes. SMH, OP. People like you are what's wrong with PC gamers, you want good quality ports but you won't accept the baggage that comes with that.

This either/or mentality of low quality compromise vs excessive file size is flawed. Ideally you would be able to download a version of the game with lower quality fmv assets and foreign languages stripped out to minimize the file size. Some pirates have taken to providing versions exactly like this - their release for Max Payne 3 is less than 11GB versus the 26 for the ordinary version. Other pirates released the full, unabridged version.

In the future, seeing such options available for consumers would be really fantastic. Games in the past that install off CDs/DVDs have traditionally given you the option to install everything from disk, or just essential files (reducing the install time but requiring streaming from the disc during play, which was slower). A similar sort of check-box list for digital and physical installs in the future should be par for the course.

charsace

It matters to them because potential customers on limited bandwidth cap and rate might not buy the game.

That kinda is pathetic. Download 30 GBs for 6 hours of game. Oof.

Higher quality assets are going to require more memory to store. The only current solutions is for devs to stick with lower quality assets or deliver the assets in packages.

You guys are complaining to the wrong industry. You should be complaining to ISP's who nickle and dime people every chance they get when they don't have to.

zendavis

Banned
Whiny people are going to whine.

News story at GAF!

The game is 30GB. Why is it 30GB? Because the game is meant to be played at 30GB. You don't like that it's 30GB. Don't play it. Don't download it. Don't worry about it. It's not difficult.

Max Payne 3 is top of the line modern technology in the gaming world. If you can't afford to keep up with modern technology because of download caps, then buy a boxed copy for the PC or consoles. Modern technology shouldn't have to cater to the least common denominator with lousiest internet services and smallest bandwidth caps.

The game is meant to be played and experienced at a certain level of quality. If you're too poor to keep up with that, then you're too poor to keep up with that. It's just that simple. Play something else. It's apparently easier to crap on Rockstar, than it is go after the ISPs who are screwing you.

Higher quality assets are going to require more memory to store. The only current solutions is for devs to stick with lower quality assets or deliver the assets in packages.

Alternatively, rendering cutscenes in-engine drastically cuts down on file size. Max Payne is large primarily because of its uncompressed cutscenes, NOT because in-game assets are particularly massive. 11GB with compressed movies and the foreign language audio removed. This figure would drop even lower if the movies weren't just compressed but rendered in-engine.

From a design standpoint, FMVs provide something that can mask load times, which is sometimes admirable, but can also be downright irritating when you can't skip them until the next thing has loaded (or worse, when you can't skip them at all). It should be legally required for you to be able to skip the cutscene and just look at a loading bar if you want :/

Honestly with PC, WHO CARES.

Do you people complaining about 25G not have an external or 25 Gigs laying around? I guess I am not really worried about size since I have 2 pretty big externals, invest in one it will make your PC gaming and just about anything easier.

In fact with a game as pretty as Max Payne 3 was, I want all my game to have as many Gigs as it will take to make them look next gen.

Do you people complaining about 25G not have an external or 25 Gigs laying around? I guess I am not really worried about size since I have 2 pretty big externals, invest in one it will make your PC gaming and just about anything easier.

In fact with a game as pretty as Max Payne 3 was, I want all my game to have as many Gigs as it will take to make them look next gen.

The problem isn't storage, it's that a download of that size can take up most of the day. If you want to impulse buy a game on your day off you have to go down to the store and buy it. Otherwise you just plan ahead and start the download a day or two in advance.

Ceebs

Storage is not the issue, it's shitty internet speeds or bullshit bandwidth caps.

Branson

I bought this at the amazon sale. I wonder if I could download it and finish max Payne 1 and 2 before its finished.

Also fuck AT&T for the 150gb bandwidth cap. That's almost a third of it.

Gav47

You guys are complaining to the wrong industry. You should be complaining to ISP's who nickle and dime people every chance they get when they don't have to.

That's a damn good point, there are very few countries in the world that wouldn't benifit from more competition in the ISP market.

zendavis

Banned
I'm sorry.

So the people who've bought crappy net services with slow speeds and limited bandwidth are complaining NOT to their ISPs about the limitations placed on them, but to the developers for not catering to the whims of the crappy service providers?

Are you guys insane?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's a damn good point, there are very few countries in the world that wouldn't benifit from more competition in the ISP market.

I alluded to that earlier:

The obvious solution is for ISPs to offer their own (i.e. unmetered) content servers as incentive. Some ISPs, including the largest ones, here in Australia have been doing this for years. Hell, iiNet offers unmetered access to Xbox Live.

A great part what separates ISPs here in Australia is the unmetered content they offer, not the quotas or speeds. I'm honestly surprised this approach hasn't seen widespread adoption elsewhere, particularly in the US/CA where internet plans seem to be going backwards.

And that's how PC games should be! It sucks if you have a download cap, but if that's the case there are still retail versions available.

Xyber

Instead of complaining at the size of the game you should be complaining about your crappy speeds and insane bandwidth caps. That's what needs to be fixed and not the size of the games.

Paying $40/month for my 100/10 (I get 114/11) with no caps, I want all (big) games to be 25-35GB when next gen arrives.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I bought this at the amazon sale. I wonder if I could download it and finish max Payne 1 and 2 before its finished.

You think that's bad? I'd kill for a 150gb limit for 40$/month. Instead i get 50gb for that price. And its from one of the biggest ISP here too. You dont know how worse it could be for you.

LiK

I'm sorry.

So the people who've bought crappy net services with slow speeds and limited bandwidth are complaining NOT to their ISPs about the limitations placed on them, but to the developers for not catering to the whims of the crappy service providers?

Are you guys insane?

that's not what we're really saying at all. R* could make their games as big as they want. just pointing out why some dudes here care about file sizes.

i complained enough to my ISP and i'm glad they're altering their plans.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Bought the boxed copy, played it, went OMG pretty much the whole game looking at my screen.

Ceebs

I have the same shitty cap. I would have to add 10 bucks to the price of the game knowing I will be paying that to AT&T once I download it.

It isn't worth the install size imo and it doesn't look that great either. Textures are okay but I don't see where the size is coming from.

Deadbeat

Banned
The Witcher 2 is 16/18GB.
Witcher 2 when I downloaded it from gog was only 9.5gb iirc. It then extracted out to the bigger size.
*looks at Rage*

I don't think so.
A better example would be those star wars games at were the laziest console ports rolling. 25gb and the same assets as the ps3 version. They just made everything uncompressed for the hell of it and it did nothing in the end.

And that's how PC games should be! It sucks if you have a download cap, but if that's the case there are still retail versions available.

^Truth

If the game was smaller having compressed textures, video and sound, people would then be complaining about that.

I think why some people are bitching about the size is that they are pissed there aren't enough seeders so their download is going slow after having "bought" the game. lol.

Oh I know. I was just saying it's kind of a pain in the ass to download 30gb and it's only about 2 hours longer than an average COD game.

mp3_time.jpg

diamount

Banned
Witcher 2 when I downloaded it from gog was only 9.5gb iirc. It then extracted out to the bigger size.

A better example would be those star wars games at were the laziest console ports rolling. 25gb and the same assets as the ps3 version. They just made everything uncompressed for the hell of it and it did nothing in the end.

Lol yep, The Force Unleashed which was locked at 30fps.

Deadbeat

Banned
I think why some people are bitching about the size is that they are pissed there aren't enough seeders so their download is going slow after having "bought" the game. lol.
So the force unleashed games that are poor ports but 25gb big due to everything being uncompressed and it gains nothing is just people complaining about torrenting?

lol

sk3tch

I bought the boxed retail copy - I would have rather downloaded it. It took a few hours to install from DVD! There were 4 discs and for some reason they installed VERRRY slowly.

Enco

So you played a short game for 40 hours. Congrats I guess?
Online?

The MP is great. Buying a full priced game for a fairly short SP is kinda silly if you care about money.

I can't see how well 50GB+ games will do in the future if that's the way we're going. I value my HDD space.

commissar

It would take me a long time. I spread Rage out over two days.

But to me 25GB is fine, even if it is half my monthly internet.
I would much rather have assets which will stand up longer term than overly compressed ones.

I jut haven't bought Max Paune 3 because my video card is currently being cooled by a system fan strapped on to the heatsink lol.

snap0212

In a perfect world (the other side having enough bandwidth available to max out my connection), a 26GB download would take me about 36 minutes. It's usually not like that, though. Most services throttle the download speeds, and so I'd probably not bother with downloadable version in this case.

I don't really see how this is a problem as anyone has the choice to buy the physical copy. :)

onQ123

Digital Distribution is the future Blu-ray is not needed PS3 am fail Sony forcing Blu-ray down Gamers throats DVD is enough.

25GB download? what the fuck? Fix this shit Guerrilla!

Valnen

So buy a 256GB Crucial M4 for $200

Meh, these will probably go the way of other flash memory and drop a LOT within the next few years. I'd hold off until 500GB+ is more affordable.

I still remember buying a 256mb flash drive for like 20 bucks. It was either that or 512. Don't really remember, was a long time ago now.

In a perfect world (the other side having enough bandwidth available to max out my connection), a 26GB download would take me about 36 minutes. It's usually not like that, though. Most services throttle the download speeds, and so I'd probably not bother with downloadable version in this case.

I don't really see how this is a problem as anyone has the choice to buy the physical copy. :)

Download caps are an issue to be sure.

But time waiting on the download? A lot of people on GAF seems to order their physical stuff online anyway. So aren't people used to waiting days for the stuff they bought anyway? It'll be just like waiting on shipping, but with a progress bar! Everyone loves progress bars! :D

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Installed size is 35 GB then.

Nope retail is ~29
and Steam i believe is 29.

I wasnt willing to wait for the Steam version cuz im one of the "my internet is shittty" crowd, so i bought retail.

I dont understand people crying over this.....if your internet is too shitty and you dont feel like waiting 10 hours, then get off your ass and go to the store.
If you live in any reasonable city you should find a box copy of max payne.

it's not that big. there are many pc games that are 15gb and every new mmo is 25-30gb

Many might be a bit of stretch, most games are sub 10gigs.
Few break 15
Off head only The Witcher 2, Rage, BF3, Mass Effect 3, Max Payne 3(my biggest regret)

Are there many more that break 15gbs

As for every new MMO being 25 to 30 gigs i wouldnt know, but i find that hard to believe as well....are we talking 25 - 30 after a years worth of updates or 25 - 30 initial download and install???

From a design standpoint, FMVs provide something that can mask load times, which is sometimes admirable, but can also be downright irritating when you can't skip them until the next thing has loaded (or worse, when you can't skip them at all). It should be legally required for you to be able to skip the cutscene and just look at a loading bar if you want :/

I think its smart to mask load times with cutscene......if your cutscene are good....Max Payne 3s cutscenes are painful to watch, so not being able to skip them makes the gameplay experience nigh unbearable.
I would rather stare at some random loading screen than see more garbage.

Skippable cutscenes should be mandatory in all game design

Derrick01

Banned
So you just played the single player game and totally ignored the arcade modes and multiplayer? Hope you didn't spend $60....That would be a shame I guess...

Arcade modes and multiplayer don't add any value to me. It's all about the single player and I'll agree the game is not worth $60. Since it's so short I wouldn't even say it's worth the $30 amazon was charging.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Arcade modes and multiplayer don't add any value to me. It's all about the single player and I'll agree the game is not worth $60. Since it's so short I wouldn't even say it's worth the $30 amazon was charging.

Especially for a game like Max Payne....yes previous MP games had Dead Man Walking and New York Minute, but the single player was/is the meat of the game.

With Max Payne 3, i feel like there is no meat, the Single Player isnt "that" good, for multiplayer id rather play Battlefield 3 or COD.
So yeah for me Max Payne 3 has been the worst game ive purchased....partly because i bought it day one, second because it took forever to install, third because i hate pretty much every moment of it.
This is one of those games i played while telling myself i should be enjoying this ENJOY IT!! but deep down i know i was just suffering through bullshit.

Im contemplating reinstalling Max Payne 2 just so i make sure its not nostalgia talking.

Top Bottom