• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bounty Hounds (PSP) new pics

lunlunqq

did a search, found nothing...

anybody cares about this game from Namco? the new screens look much much better than the early ones.

more: http://media.psp.ign.com/media/747/747850/imgs_1.html

bounty-hounds-20060707040828495.jpg

bounty-hounds-20060707040828760.jpg

bounty-hounds-20060707040829042.jpg

bounty-hounds-20060707040829370.jpg

bounty-hounds-20060707040829682.jpg

bounty-hounds-20060707040829948.jpg

bounty-hounds-20060707040830510.jpg

bounty-hounds-20060707040830213.jpg

bounty-hounds-20060707040831104.jpg

X26

Banned
I read that as booty hounds, and needless to say, I'm dissapointed

Models seem decent looking, but the environments look like pure ass

Tokubetsu

X26 said:
I read that as booty hounds, and needless to say, I'm dissapointed

Models seem decent looking, but the environments look like pure ass

I think their going for the Dynasty Warriors style by having as much shit on screen as possible rather than Background detail. I'm gonna have to see how it plays before im sold though.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Ridiculous. All people do in PSP game threads is bitch about graphics. It's a handheld game, people. Bitch about something else.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
chespace said:
Ridiculous. All people do in PSP game threads is bitch about graphics. It's a handheld game, people. Bitch about something else.

The people bitching probably have never touched a PSP

Screens look decent to me and looks tons better than the old screens

chespace said:

My comment was directed to how it looks like a boring and tired beat em up. I hate games like that.

And GAF gets equally the same amount of "bad graphics lawl" comments in DS threads (but for better reason of course).

ethelred

chespace said:

Yeah, it's a handheld game. So?

And what else would you propose that one comment upon in a screenshot thread other than the graphics? Music, perhaps?

Wario64 said:
The people bitching probably have never touched a PSP

I dunno about anyone else, but I have touched one and have ten games for it.

BrandNew said:
And GAF gets equally the same amount of "bad graphics lawl" comments in DS threads

No kidding.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'd definitely like to see how well this one plays. If the weapon system has enough variety to it, a straight 3rd person shooter would certainly be welcome on the PSP.

Fusebox

Banned
I've been looking forward to this game for so long I'm not excited about it anymore - all they need to do is get the combat right and it'll be awesome imo.

Amir0x

Banned
chespace said:

Equally ridiculous: These same people are like "wow pixelated crap 3D game #101 on DS, wow looks great for the system!"

No, it looks ****ing atrocious. And this looks better than any 3D product on that by a mile!

But yeah this still looks painfully dull.

this game has been in development for an obscene amount of time. It was supposed to come out last summer, but Namco delayed it for "Quality Control" reasons. Despite the delay, there's a disturbing lack of hype for it.

I'm not optimistic, but the premise is interesting.

ethelred

Amir0x said:
Equally ridiculous: These same people are like "wow pixelated crap 3D game #101 on DS, wow looks great for the system!"

No, it looks ****ing atrocious. And this looks better than any 3D product on that by a mile!

But yeah this still looks painfully dull.

I guess it just shows that not everyone evaluates graphics in an identical manner as you -- to some, graphics from an artistic perspective are just as (if not more) important as graphics from a technical perspective. While this may be superior on a technical level, it just flat-out looks bad, and yes, I would take something like the 3D FF3 over this, graphically.

Regardless, this had nothing to do with DS/PSP. There's no need to compare it to the DS -- compare it to other PSP games, then, if you like. I just think it looks remarkably poor. I might even go so far as to say ****ing atrocious.

Amir0x

Banned
ethelred said:
I guess it just shows that not everyone evaluates graphics in an identical manner as you -- to some, graphics from an artistic perspective are just as (if not more) important as graphics from a technical perspective. While this may be superior on a technical level, it just flat-out looks bad, and yes, I would take something like the 3D FF3 over this, graphically.

Regardless, this had nothing to do with DS/PSP. There's no need to compare it to the DS -- compare it to other PSP games, then, if you like. I just think it looks remarkably poor. I might even go so far as to say ****ing atrocious.

Sorry, it's pixelated garbage and I don't give a good **** how you evaluate it because it all comes down to being two faced. It's hypocritical, and needs to stop. FF3 DS has pixels the size of my god-damned room, with horrendously low poly characters and disgusting low detailed worlds. This is the same, except it has fog, WAY more characters on screen at once and way higher poly characters AND NO ****ING PIXELS THE SIZE OF MY HEAD. And it's on a screen that isn't a terrifyingly low resolution. Saying you're evaluating it from an "artistic perspective" is just a thinly-veiled excuse for not having to look at it for its face value. Which is archaic N64-era 3D which has always looked terrible.

Make any excuse you want, defend yourself if you like - but it's pointless. If you come into a PSP thread to say 'that 3D game is ugly', when it's superior to any 3D game on said product you were just complimenting, then it's as simple as leaving and not talking anymore. Nobody wants hypocritical opinions. It doesn't matter the ****ing limitations of the hardware it's on, it's just that simple. Saying "it's good for the system" is just a cover for "god-damn, this system should be more powerful."

These are two different games. And I think Bounty Hounds looks ugly. Because it's ugly, regardless of the system it's on. But when I hear these types of two angle attitudes towards products on different systems, I get disgusted

Speevy

Banned
Armored sword guy taking on shell-headed robots against a backdrop of barren gray and brown. Oh, and fireworks. Not my kinda game, but could be fun.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Amirox , leave these people alone - it's all about art/bad art and some people really like shitty looking 3d games :(

to the untrained eye, it looks like trolling, but it's not - it's just bad art is easier to see at higher res!

Amir0x

Banned
DCharlie said:
Amirox , leave these people alone - it's all about art/bad art and some people really like shitty looking 3d games :(

to the untrained eye, it looks like trolling, but it's not - it's just bad art is easier to see at higher res!

add some color, fairy dust, a magic rod and Amano watercolor paintings on the cover and shit who knows what becomes acceptable! ARTISTIC!

ethelred

Amir0x said:
Sorry, it's pixelated garbage and I don't give a good **** how you evaluate it because it all comes down to being two faced. It's hypocritical, and needs to stop. FF3 DS has pixels the size of my god-damned room, with horrendously low poly characters and disgusting low detailed worlds. This is the same, except it has fog, WAY more characters on screen at once and way higher poly characters AND NO ****ING PIXELS THE SIZE OF MY HEAD. And it's on a screen that isn't a terrifyingly low resolution.

Make any excuse you want, defend yourself if you like - but it's pointless. If you come into a PSP thread to say 'that 3D game is ugly', when it's superior to any 3D game on said product you were just complimenting, then it's as simple as leaving and not talking anymore. Nobody wants hypocritical opinions. It doesn't matter the ****ing limitations of the hardware it's on, it's just that simple. Saying "it's good for the system" is just a cover for "god-damn, this system should be more powerful."

There's nothing hypocritical about it except that you seem to think everyone should praise every single PSP game and think every DS game looks like trash. And if anyone thinks any DS game looks good, in your mind they're being hypocritical to think any PSP game looks bad, and that's just silly.

I wasn't even the one who brought up other systems. I already said fine, compare this just to other PSP games. It has nothing to do with the graphical capabilities of the system, it just looks bad. And it's not hypocritical to say so. I think plenty of PSP games look outstanding. This isn't one of them, and I'm not going to refrain from saying so just because Che doesn't want people to complain about PSP graphics and you think even the ugliest PSP game automagically looks a million times better than the best DS game.

DCharlie said:

Trolling? Hardly. It's not trolling to simply criticise a single PSP game... especially one that even the greatest PSP fans say looks ugly.

Amir0x

Banned
ethelred said:
There's nothing hypocritical about it except that you seem to think everyone should praise every single PSP game and think every DS game looks like trash. And if anyone thinks any DS game looks good, in your mind they're being hypocritical to think any PSP game looks bad, and that's just silly.

No, there are plenty of 2D DS games that look great!

ethelred said:
I wasn't even the one who brought up other systems. I already said fine, compare this just to other PSP games. It has nothing to do with the graphical capabilities of the system, it just looks bad. And it's not hypocritical to say so. I think plenty of PSP games look outstanding. This isn't one of them, and I'm not going to refrain from saying so just because Che doesn't want people to complain about PSP graphics and you think even the ugliest PSP game automagically looks a million times better than the best DS game.[

Yup. Pretty much. You don't have to refrain from saying so, but then I'm just gonna call it like I see it - hypocritical bullshit that is conveniently chosen for whenever a product you're interested in approaches. Bounty Hounds > any 3D game on DS. But whoa-ho, ARTISTICALLY, damn... who knows! It's so ugly, but add some dash of color and pixelation and wizards and **** that shit is a god-damn picasso.

It's tiring. And I chose to defend one of the uglier games on PSP for this reason: if you accept less on lesser systems, then that's your limit. And you should stick by it. I think the whole term 'artistic' is wasted and meaningless now because it's used on anything these days, and this illustrates it perfectly. Bounty Hounds is probably just a Dynasty Warriors-esque beat em' up. Do you wish to imagine how that'd look on N64? yeaaah...

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Trolling? Hardly. It's not trolling to simply criticise a single PSP game... especially one that even the greatest PSP fans say looks ugly.

lol - i don't know which rung of the Sonyfan ladder i'm currently purched on , but these screen shots , to my eye at least, look fine.

(and i mean that in terms of ART and Design)

Hell, even reminds me of Sin + Punishment a bit.

DCharlie said:
lol - i don't know which rung of the Sonyfan ladder i'm currently purched on , but these screen shots , to my eye at least, look fine.

(and i mean that in terms of ART and Design)

Hell, even reminds me of Sin + Punishment a bit.

yeah, i don't know what pics others are looking at, but these character models are quite nice. not much in the way of landscape though :(

ethelred

Amir0x said:
No, there are plenty of 2D DS games that look great!

Yup. Pretty much. You don't have to refrain from saying so, but then I'm just gonna call it like I see it - hypocritical bullshit that is conveniently chosen for whenever a product you're interested in approaches. Bounty Hounds > any 3D game on DS. But whoa-ho, ARTISTICALLY, damn... who knows! It's so ugly, but add some dash of color and pixelation and wizards and **** that shit is a god-damn picasso.

It's tiring. And I chose to defend one of the uglier games on PSP for this reason: if you accept less on lesser systems, then that's your limit. And you should stick by it. I think the whole term 'artistic' is wasted and meaningless now because it's used on anything these days, and this illustrates it perfectly. Bounty Hounds is probably just a Dynasty Warriors-esque beat em' up. Do you wish to imagine how that'd look on N64? yeaaah...

Well, whatever. I'm not going to get sucked into one of these lame, neverending arguments with you. I think it looks ugly, period, regardless of the system it's on. If that means the Great Arbiter of Truth thinks that I'm a hypocrite, oh well. I don't really care.

sugarhigh4242 said:
yeah, i don't know what pics others are looking at, but these character models are quite nice. not much in the way of landscape though :(

Yes, the character models do look good. The problem is, like you said (and like I said in my first post), the landscapes/environments.

Amir0x

Banned
ethelred said:
Well, whatever. I'm not going to get sucked into one of these lame, neverending arguments with you. I think it looks ugly, period, regardless of the system it's on. If that means the Great Arbiter of Truth thinks that I'm a hypocrite, oh well. I don't really care.

Yup. And by this standard, so does FF3 DS look ugly regardless of what system it's on. Now you're getting it! Just so we got that out of the way, the GREAT ARBITER OF TRUTH has standards as well - Bounty Hounds is ugly and dull to him. But the Arbiter of Truth understands this more in a Dynasty Warriors type game. Still ugly, but understandable.

ethelred

Amir0x said:
Yup. And by this standard, so does FF3 DS look ugly regardless of what system it's on. Now you're getting it! Just so we got that out of the way, the GREAT ARBITER OF TRUTH has standards as well - Bounty Hounds is ugly and dull to him. But the Arbiter of Truth understands this more in a Dynasty Warriors type game. Still ugly, but understandable.

Whatever you say, man. :lol

Zeed

Banned
DIrtyWeasel said:
People buy PSP for the graphics.
And Megaman. X. That's why I bought mine. Now they're not making any more, so it sits around collecting dust.

And yeah the screens are technically impressive but artistically...I dunno, generic? Ugly? Something like that. Is this supposed to be a DW-clone?

Kuran

Banned
But why exactly are you biased? You clearly are.. someone calls a dull-looking PSP game ugly, and you see that as an incentive to start another DS vs PSP war?

That's one of the worst screenshots of FF3 you can find, by the way.

And a brave comparison to make, since FF3 is one of the nicer 3D games on the system..
7768_large.jpg

Thinking about this screenshot, I really like it! Because I see the art through the limited technology.. and appreciate it for what it is, not what it could be on the PSP which has far superior technology.

Use a little imagination, isn't this how we survived the 8bit generation?

Animal Crossing DS is a good example of art towering over technology, and doesn't that just look lovely?

Good graphics does not equal polycounts, texture resolution or aliasing with me...

PS. Why did I never hear of Bounty Hounds before? And it reminds me of something... Elemental Gearbolt?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Amir0x said:
final-fantasy-iii-20060518082043719.jpg

ART!

(
ok, ok... I'm done. This is just very tiring to see! Call an ugly spade a spade!
)

gimme a break atleast pick a screen where its not taken at a weird angle. amirox youre better than this.

here, its even blown up to hell
924897_20060627_screen009.jpg

heres one at a normal res
924897_20060520_screen011.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
sp0rsk said:
gimme a break atleast pick a screen where its not taken at a weird angle. amirox youre better than this.

here, its even blown up to hell
924897_20060627_screen009.jpg

uh, thanks for proving my point?

Fusebox

Banned
The Abominable Snowman said:
Dude. change your avatar. That's disgusting. I was eating.

Thats a pretty harsh way to talk about my g/f man, don't be jealous coz I'm banging a hotty.

And I reckon some of you people are mad if you think this is ugly for a handheld...

bounty-hounds-20060707040829682.jpg

Kuran

Banned
Those screenshots are beautiful to me, they're nicely stylized to perfectly suit and overcome the technological limitations of the hardware..

I guess I'm a sucker for chunky, crisp videogame graphics!

I'll lose my BURNING PASSION whenever photo-realistic graphics become the norm..

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
ethelred said:
And what else would you propose that one comment upon in a screenshot thread other than the graphics? Music, perhaps?
Well, they're gameplay shots, so you should be able to infer a bit about the gameplay. And a screenshot thread is a thread that's just providing the latest update on an upcoming game, where the latest update just happens to be screenshots. No reason why you can't discuss this update in combination with what we already know about the game.

Here, maybe this will help get the conversation back on track...

IGN said:
Bounty Hounds offers 40 missions set on four unique alien worlds. These worlds are inhabited by 40 different alien races, which offer tons of variety when it comes time to exterminating them. While the demo on display only showed off a handful of these races, each looked quite different and boasted different weapons and attack patterns.

The game revolves around Maximillian, a member of the Bounty Hounds group. Not much is known about Maximillian apart from the fact he's a total bad ass. Also, there's the fact he can use some 500 items, including weapons and armor, to help him dish out serious pain. Players can equip laser cannons, rocket launchers, swords, axes, grenades, machine guns and a ridiculous number of high-tech gadgets and armor. There's a good chance many players will spend hours just trying to locate specific weapons and pieces of armor.

When in actual combat, players can only use six of the 500 available weapons. Players can choose up to three weapons for each arm, making selection of said weapons rather important. After all, it would suck to land on a planet with projectile-shooting aliens when all Maximillian has are short-range pistols or, worse still, melee weapons. Actually using these weapons in combat feels pretty intuitive, thanks to series of dynamic in-game menus triggered by pressing the right shoulder button. Players can swap available armor, weapons and upgrade modules without breaking their stride.

Game Sharing and wifi multiplayer modes as well.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Well, after having my curiosity piqued, I headed over to Gamespot to take a look at a couple pics and videos of the game.

I didn't come away impressed.

The character models are good, both for the enemies, as well as your avatar. You seem to have a beefy collection of different weapons to take out your enemies, and collect bounties. However, the levels seem to be VERY bland, with simplistic geometry, and squarish environments. It also seems to have problems with camera control when fighting against multiple enemies.

Keep in mind, the most recent video that Gamespot seemed to have, was from October of last year. So things might have changed since then. However, the pics that they had posted didn't look too different from the ones put up by the OP. I hope it improves, but I'm not excited about this title very much.

Its being published by Namco/Bandai.

sp0rsk said:

400x300 isn't normal res, and you didn't exactly prove him wrong...

Fusebox said:
Thats a pretty harsh way to talk about my g/f man, don't be jealous coz I'm banging a hotty.

And I reckon some of you people are mad if you think this is ugly for a handheld...

http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/article/717/717246/bounty-hounds-20060707040829682.jpg
It's definitely not ugly to a handheld, but we can only compare it to other PSP games. I'd say this looks less impressive than some other PSP games like Monster Hunter and Tekken, for example.

IMO, the screens looks much better now. I had some interest in the game originally, but I wasn't too sure, because of the previous screens (I could barely tell what the game was going to be). After seeing these images, my anticipation has greatly increased, although I'm not too sure about getting it. If it were a DW type hack-slash, I'd be interested. Well, I'll just wait and see on release.

Top Bottom