• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxer vs Yellow - StarCraft II Showmatch Bo3 - 6am PST 8/5

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
zX8ym.jpg

TL Thread

The 'Emperor of Terran' SlayerS_BoxeR and the 'Storm Zerg' YellOw will face off in a Starcraft II Best of 3 at our event stage on the beautiful beach of Haeundae, Busan!

It is the rivalry of rivalries. Never has there been a longer, greater and fiercer feud between two progamers in the history of StarCraft. It is so popular that fans have coined the term Lim Jin Rok to describe the two players' relationship and the ultimate anticipation and elation when these two titans of StarCraft face each other.

Before StarCraft II was released fans were asked which players they would like to see face each other the most. Many people voted for a showdown between the StarCraft icon BoxeR and the '5th race' of Warcraft III MooN, but an overwhelming amount of the community wanted to see another iteration of Lim Jin Rok, BoxeR vs YellOw.

That day has now finally arrived and what could be a better time to have this clash than now, when StarCraft II is about to celebrate its first birthday. They used to be teammates, they have been friends for over 10 years and they probably will stay rivals forever. Do not miss this match, coming to you live on August 5th via GOMTV.net at 10pm KST brought to you by Blizzard, LG 3D Cinema and GOMTV.net as part of the Cinema 3D and Optimus 3D Summer Festival!
Qh9yt.jpg

STREAM: http://www.gomtv.net/event/LimJinRok_Live.gom

Location: Busan, Haeundae beach, Blizzard and LG Cinema 3D event stage
Date: August 5th 2011, 10pm KST (6am PDT, 9am EDT, 3pm CEST)
Format: Best of 3 on Xel'Naga Caverns, The Shattered Temple and Tal'Darim Altar

Yellow is the father of Marine King. Well, not actual father, but he is known for being second. Second to Boxer. Always Silver, always one step away. As Boxer's biggest rival every match between these two was guaranteed to be amazing in the early days of Starcraft.

On a fateful day in 2004 Boxer and Yellow faced off again in a best of 5 series.
3 times in a row, Boxer bunker-rushed YellOw and finished off the Semi-finals in less than half an hour.
The road not taken.

Can Yellow the Storm Zerg bring back the magic?
Yellow hype vs Bisu (#1 Protoss) starts at 9:00. Yellow vs Boxer in 2009 at 10:47

What we will see is a true show match. A match for the fans.

Will the Emperor still reign supreme? Or will Yellow...
boxerbethelegendzujd.gif

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Is there a link to the video where Yellow was smashing keyboard/mouse/monitor anywhere? They played it on the GSL finals during the breaks but I dont see it anywhere

I want to do some editing...to it.

Dooraven

Is yellow even going to be playing zerg? Because if he chooses protoss and cannon rushes Boxer (and succeeds) , i'll fall out of my chair laughing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Dooraven said:
Is yellow even going to be playing zerg? Because if he chooses protoss and cannon rushes Boxer (and succeeds) , i'll fall out of my chair laughing.
Change race at the startup at last 3 seconds and cannon rush.

I think Protoss was Yellow's off race in BW so since timings are different who knows.

The real OH SHIT would be if Yellow picks Terran and they do 40 minute mech TvT.

Neki

PhoenixDark said:
Boxer is just going to sweep Yellow, who doesn't even play SC2. This will be worst than the average GSL final
I've seen some pretty bad GSL finals though.

Wallach

Hazaro said:
Impossible

Any match that tried to be worse than the worst GSL final would actually loop around and immediately become the best match in history. That's what happens when you go negative bad.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I forget where (either on SotG, or during the Code A Qualifier tournament, or during last night's GSTL), but it was mentioned that there will be other matches as part of this Boxer vs Yellow event. They didn't say who would be playing, though.

nilbog21

Banned
haha it's crazy seeing Yellow.

was anyone here around on broodwar back in the yellow vs boxer days? No idea what time frame that is, '98-00 ?

edit: guess it was more '00-02. gEWd times

nilbog21

Banned
EviLore said:
I forget where (either on SotG, or during the Code A Qualifier tournament, or during last night's GSTL), but it was mentioned that there will be other matches as part of this Boxer vs Yellow event. They didn't say who would be playing, though.

bring [GG99]Slayer

EDIT: wow just found a fascinating documentary about him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGcUxcYz3ng

this guy was the first foreigner sent to korea (pretty sure, maybe it was Grrr..), and i remember him going head to head w/ boxer who was unstoppable force at the time

Corran Horn

EviLore said:
Maybe they were talking about the GSTL matches that will be prior?

I dont know though, I havnt seen last nights gstl yet.

EviLore said:

Jaedong v Flash SC2 show match!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I would kill to see another triple bunker rush series.

MrKnives

EviLore said:

Artosis mentioned on SOTG that there would be some other games yea. Still sad it's bo3 though.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
EviLore said:

Yup, as knives said, SotG, I wonder what it will be, considering the GSTL is that night too, it's going to be a great night.. oih shit its tonight

and i dont have internet

fuck.

survivor

Banned
This is going to be really amazing. I hope Yellow sticks with SC2 and does well with it. Always loved seeing him play in BW

Corran Horn

JWong said:
Hmmm SC1 dying in Korea?
Dying? No. But it is shrinking. MBC wont do their MSL leagues anymore and wont cover other games. Not sure whats happening with their share of the Proleague, I guess OGN will continue it all.

It's going to be a weird, long transition period into SC2 in Korea, just as a function of how the contracts and investment into BW are. I think this month is when a lot of the contracts for BW players start to end, so it's going to be really interesting how it plays out.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
StopMakingSense said:
It's going to be a weird, long transition period into SC2 in Korea, just as a function of how the contracts and investment into BW are. I think this month is when a lot of the contracts for BW players start to end, so it's going to be really interesting how it plays out.
A lot will follow the money and if enough decent players go to SC2 I think the big names might have to transfer over as well.

I really hope the two can co-exist for longer though.

Corran Horn

Hazaro said:
A lot will follow the money and if enough decent players go to SC2 I think the big names might have to transfer over as well.

I really hope the two can co-exist for longer though.
Its going to be interesting once GOM's exclusive contract is up and see how they can co-exist with Kespa (if that is still around).

Blizzard is willing to work with kespa now, and I would looooooove 2 sc2 leagues.

Zzoram

For SC2 to grow in Korea, there needs to be more than just GSL. If OGN joins SC2 and starts an OSL for SC, then it'll be very good for SC2. Having 2 leagues means players will have more to do when they're out of GSL.

Mairu

Zzoram said:
For SC2 to grow in Korea, there needs to be more than just GSL. If OGN joins SC2 and starts an OSL for SC, then it'll be very good for SC2. Having 2 leagues means players will have more to do when they're out of GSL.
Too bad OGN doesn't care about international viewers probably! I'll be sad when all the WCG SC2 Korea stuff gets broadcast only in Korean :(

fanboi

Banned
It would be awesome to get a high profile name to switch... and to see what they are capable of accomplishing.

Ofc, flash or jaedong is as likely as idra being mannered.

Too bad OGN doesn't care about international viewers probably! I'll be sad when all the WCG SC2 Korea stuff gets broadcast only in Korean :(

Well, I think that they have a nice shot right now to create a broader audience since it seems SC2 is picking up in the international scene (a lot of tournaments with high prize money).

Just hire tattosis.

Corran Horn

Mairu said:
Its a different world now though. It would be stupid to not have some sort of international stream (at cost) like gom does whenever/ifever they do fulltime sc2.

(._.) said:
I didn't even know Yellow played SCII. I thought he still plays broodwar.
He doesnt....well he just retired from BW like a month or 2 ago.

fanboi

Banned
Corran Horn said:
Its a different world now though. It would be stupid to not have some sort of international stream (at cost) like gom does whenever/ifever they do fulltime sc2.

He doesnt....well he just retired from BW like a month or 2 ago.

Oh... so now he will practice SC2 which is less demanding then BW and rake in some quick cash and then move on?

Awesome

Aaron

In watching some recent matches, I feel BW is really played out. It's a consequence of being played on the pro level for over a decade, but I really think the top players have squeezed all the life they could from it, and now it's minor refinements that don't make for exciting matches.

Zzoram said:

Exactly. Two or more leagues would definitely spur growth and get more money/interest flowing in. I'd imagine we'll see things improve soon, with BW contracts ending.

Foreigners are going to have to really get their act together soon. Once South Korea makes the full switch to SC2 we're going to see even more Koreans traveling around the world, joining foreigner teams, etc dominating shit. As Artosis said, there's really no excuse for the poor practice schedules considering these guys have salaries - it's their job to play. If they want to keep dicking around we'll have more cases like the recent MLG.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
God, I am so pumped! Just woke up (super pissed that Catherine didn't show up today either... fuck you VG+) but SC2 comes and saves the day!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
GOM are really picking it up this week with the Code A qualies, and this event, it's good to see :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Soooo pumped right now! Drove to a friend, it's PARTY TIME! Go boxer!!

Top Bottom