• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

That 10th round will go down as one of the biggest mistakes in boxing history. So digusted Pacman let him back in should've finished it.

This is bullshit!! Teddy, just like Lampley and the HBO are out of touch. Horn won that fight. It was really close and could have went either way. I had Manny winning the last two rounds but I would not argued the scoring.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I say it was close enough for a draw, I wouldn't consider it a robbery for Horn. But 117-111 is dumb.

I say it was close enough for a draw, I wouldn't consider it a robbery for Horn. But 117-111 is dumb.

even though it was bs the fight was closer than some think. I need to watch it again.

Yup these two are what I'm feeling. For now, in my drunken state, Horn was beating Manny in the clinch game while Manny beat Horn nearly every else. Horn may have landed some decent power punches but, to me, Manny ourworked him via stats right now.

pixelation

This is bullshit!! Teddy, just like Lampley and the HBO are out of touch. Horn won that fight. It was really close and could have went either way. I had Manny winning the last two rounds but I would not argued the scoring.

You are wrong, i'm not even taking into account all of the dirty moves that the clown got away with, it was violation after violation and i am livid. The ref couldn't be more obvious with his favoritism and neither could be the judges (are we sure it wasn't a bunch of lobotomized chimps?).

Wow. This was the dirty side of boxing - unfortunate. Though I'm sure they'll restart the hype machine for the big pay day rematch (and another to follow).

Ugh boxing is the worst. So much money in play wrecks it.

Yup these two are what I'm feeling. For now, in my drunken state, Horn was beating Manny in the clinch game while Manny beat Horn nearly every else. Horn may have landed some decent power punches but, to me, Manny ourworked him via stats right now.

Manny landed what it seemed like more significant shots but he would let up and let horn stay aggressive and busy. It's like a replay of the first Bradley fight.

Manny needs to just invest his money wisely and retire. If he had a drop of killer instinct left the fight would have been over in the 10th.

Let me guess, you're an Aussie? LOL

Even with giving Horn the benefit of the doubt, I just can't see Horn even winning 6 rounds for a draw, much less more for a win.

pixelation

Manny landed what it seemed like more significant shots but he would let up and let horn stay aggressive and busy. It's like a replay of the first Bradley fight.

Manny needs to just invest his money wisely and retire. If he had a drop of killer instinct left the fight would have been over in the 10th.

Are you taking into consideration the fact that Horn clearly outweighed him? (knocking him out is harder), firing punches non-stop is very tiring? (like he was doing at the end of the 9th when he had him hurt) and the fact that he was being cautious due to the pigginess of Horn?, it's not as clean cut as it may appear at first.

Yeah I noticed that Manny kept letting Horn get busy and that might have persuaded the judges into giving the fight to Horn.

Manny needs to stop and retire. He makes enough money as it is.

Turin

Banned
Manny's gonna play around with journeyman until he can't or Floyd gives him a rematch for another edition of celebrity boxing.

There's no question Horn's ineffective aggression and overall activity (punches thrown) is what swayed the judges decision. Also since it was in Australia, I knew after the fight was over there was good chance Horn may get the win, but when the first score card was announced as 117-111 and it appeared to be a unanimous decision; I just knew it must've been Pacquiao as the winner.

Boy, was I wrong.

VoxPop

Great fight. Had Manny winning like everyone else but I don't find it absolutely outrageous like Teddy and Stephen were making it out to be. One could argue that Horn was pressing the action a majority of the time and landed some good shots. He was fighting extremely dirty though which I thought they should call him out on during his interviews. That being said, 115-113 isn't THAT RIDICULOUS despite the compubox scores but 117-111 is downright hilarious.

There's no question Horn's ineffective aggression and overall activity (punches thrown) is what swayed the judges decision. Also since it was in Australia, I knew after the fight was over there was good chance Horn may get the win, but when the first score card was announced as 117-111 and it appeared to be a unanimous decision; I just knew it must've been Pacquiao as the winner.

Boy, was I wrong.

Lol. I was thinking that since it was in 'straya that Horn would get the win..... And he did..... I was sure that he wouldn't win despite being the hometown fighter..... Silly me!

Great fight. Had Manny winning like everyone else but I don't find it absolutely outrageous like Teddy and Stephen were making it out to be. One could argue that Horn was pressing the action a majority of the time and landed some good shots. He was fighting extremely dirty though which I thought they should call him out on during his interviews. That being said, 115-113 isn't THAT RIDICULOUS despite the compubox scores but 117-111 is downright hilarious.

Horn was pressing the action and throwing a lot of shots, but he was missing most of them and Pacquaio was hitting him more flush. I can see how somebody would score the fight 115- 113 or even the ridiculous 117-111 for Horn if landing the more clean effective punches didn't matter to you.

I don't know how anyone can question the outrage. Shit decisions are common enough but usually the judges have more sense than to score something as drastically as 117-111. That score alone suggests that either:

That judge is so incredibly incompetent that one must wonder how the shit the judge accreditation process must be

or

The judging was corrupted and this particular judge over-compensated early and wound up with a ridiculous score.

We all know judging isn't clean. Especially in international fights. But corrupt judging should at least respect the fans enough to make it look reasonable.

Are you taking into consideration the fact that Horn clearly outweighed him? (knocking him out is harder), firing punches non-stop is very tiring? (like he was doing at the end of the 9th when he had him hurt) and the fact that he was being cautious due to the pigginess of Horn?, it's not as clean cut as it may appear at first.

I get what you are saying but one, everyone Manny fights is bigger. And two, Horn was clearly hurt at the end of the 9th. My point was manny should've just thrown punches even if they didn't pack much of a power, at least to keep him backpeddling and on def. Instead he turtled up and let horn regain his wits a bit. The old Manny would've finished it.

TuXx

It's just crazy to think how far Pacquiao has fallen off.

Dude went from being a PPV star to fighting on ESPN and losing to C level fighters.

It's just crazy to think how far Pacquiao has fallen off.

Dude went from being a PPV star to fighting on ESPN and losing to C level fighters.

It happens. Pacquiao still made a cool 10 million, and has a rematch that everybody will be tuning in to see him avenge.

kinggroin

Banned
what a joke. Horn looked completely outclassed against a past his prime, shitty looking Paq. And dude has the nerve to call out Floyd. FOH. Got gifted a win because incompetent aussie judges were somehow impressed by arm punches.

Two American judges and one Argentinian. If you can believe it.

This is just Karmic Justice for Manny taking this dumb ass fight to begin with. If he was going to lose, it should have been to a fighter earning the stage (Spence, Crawford, Thurman, Porter etc)

I posted this in the Pacman hype thread:

It's funny now because i'm looking through my scorecard and I had it 5-5 tied after 10 rounds. I didn't score the 9th round 10-8 for Pacquiao but acknowledged it very well could've. I didn't score the 11th and 12th rounds, but I think those could've went either way.

Now admittedly i was scoring my card giving Horn the benefit of the doubt, but I guess I could see how Horn won that fight. LOL

Maybe it wasn't a robbery after all. I need to go back and score the 11th and 12th round.

I have no idea why I'm upset at the decision. LOL

O
I posted this in the Pacman hype thread:

I have no idea why I'm upset at the decision. LOL

I need to watch this fight sober to get a better conclusion but, I wouldn't be surprised if I came to your conclusions.

Also because, me being Asian, I want another Asian person to win and stay semi-relevant lol.

Turin

Banned
I think Manny wacked him with too many left hands to give up a decision but I recall thinking Horn was fighting the fight of his life and Manny was giving every chance to a guy he clearly didn't take seriously. Couldn't believe how badly he was telegraphing those left hands.

Brashnir

I had Horn winning 115-113. Stop listening to the commentary when you're watching a fight and score it yourselves. You'll be surprised at how many "bad" decisions turn out to be either right or close enough to not get worked up over.

Horn is an Ugly fighter with a capital U. His footwork makes him look like a lunging oaf a lot of the time, and he was constantly crossing over with his right foot in ways that look really bad, but Pacquiao never really punished him for it, and he piled up a lot of points early in the fight. The 9th round was a borderline 10-8, but even if I had scored it that way, Horn still won 114-113.

Brashnir

Top Rank shoulda just fed Pacquiao to Crawford and buildup their next guy.

I'm not sure Pacquiao can make 140 at this point, and I don't think that's a fight worth being Crawford's move to 147. I mean, Crawford would wipe him out at either weight, but I just don't see it making sense for either of them right now.

The Indongo fight is way more interesting for Crawford at the moment, and he doesn't have to move weight for it.

I had Horn winning 115-113. Stop listening to the commentary when you're watching a fight and score it yourselves. You'll be surprised at how many "bad" decisions turn out to be either right or close enough to not get worked up over.

Horn is an Ugly fighter with a capital U. His footwork makes him look like a lunging oaf a lot of the time, and he was constantly crossing over with his right foot in ways that look really bad, but Pacquiao never really punished him for it, and he piled up a lot of points early in the fight. The 9th round was a borderline 10-8, but even if I had scored it that way, Horn still won 114-113.

The commentary literally has no effect on me.

Out of the first 10 rounds, I had Horn winning the 1st, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 10th. I had the 8th close but scored to Horn since we were in Australia.

So on reflection, I don't think the right guy won, but I don't think it was a robbery either.

Let me guess, you're an Aussie? LOL

Even with giving Horn the benefit of the doubt, I just can't see Horn even winning 6 rounds for a draw, much less more for a win.

Let me guess, you're from the Philippines? Lol

I was rooting for Manny in this fight. He looked flat and Horn was doing enough to win early rounds. I actually thought Manny won a close fight. In close fights, this can happen. It's not a robbery like the morons on ESPN were screaming.

Top Bottom