• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing: Floyd Mayweather vs. Victor Ortiz |OT| 9/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jangocube

Banned
Just got done watching the "fight" and what a shit ending that was.

Makes me happy I've moved on from looking forward to watching these matches. The sport is pretty damn terrible these days.

Beardz

Maybe this is old, BUT, I saw the fight again, after the first apology you can see Joe Cortez move his hands saying "fight".

tumblr_lrpgofNCeK1qhaw05o1_400.gif

2gv93dw.jpg

empanada

Baby Milo said:
no he has not. his newest demand is he doesn't want USADA testing him because there biased against him(which is his worst excuse yet)

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2011/07/arum-doesnt-want-usada-testing-pacquiao/

Looks like the ball is back on Mayweather's court...
Arum said last week that Pacquiao would indeed submit to the Olympic-style random blood and urine testing that Mayweather has demanded of his recent opponents. Arum said Pacquiao, who spends the first part of his training camp working out in the Philippines, would agree to the testing with no restriction, supervised by the World Anti-Doping Agency when he was in the Philippines and the United States Anti-Doping Agency when he moved his training to Los Angeles.

Pacquiao once asked for the testing to be stopped at some point before agreeing, but he is no longer making that demand, Arum said.

“All we ask is that the results are given to the relevant agency that is governing the fight,” Arum said. “If the fight is in Nevada, give it to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. That’s all we’re asking. But Manny will do the testing with no questions asked
Source:
http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ki-iole_mayweather_pacquiao_091911

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
empanada said:
Looks like the ball is back on Mayweather's court...

Source:
http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ki-iole_mayweather_pacquiao_091911

So it appears that Pacquiao is finally ready to be beat. Good.

SlipperySlope said:
Everything you just said is also applicable towards Pacquiao. He can box too, ya know.

C'mon, lolololol.

This is from compubox and the last 5 fights of each fighter. (This excludes the Ortiz fight)

MAYWEATHER
46%
16%
+30
Pacquiao
35%
27%
+8

Top number is connection percentage, middle number is opponent connection percentage and the last number is the difference between the two. Floyd is tops among all three categories among all active boxers. Next closest person in difference is Andre Ward and he is a +14. So basically, Floyd does twice as good as every other boxer living when it comes to hitting and not getting hit.

It is always said that Marquez has always been Manny's toughest opponent. Floyd is Marquez times infinity in the ring and both are counter-punchers. Quicker, stronger, better technique and better boxing I.Q. Manny Pacquiao is a volume puncher, he is willing to give up a lick to try to give two or more. The problem with that against Floyd is that Manny will be coming into the ring with virtually no advantages in his favor. The only thing is speed and that will be a toss up.

Floyd Mayweather Tale-of-The Tape

Ht. 5'8"
Wt. 147 Arm Length: 24.5”
Reach 72"
Style: Boxer\Counterpuncher
Best Punch: Straight Right

Manny Pacquiao Tale-of-The Tape

Ht. 5'6"
Arm Length: 23”
Reach 67"
Style: Volume Puncher
Best Punch: Straight Left

Manny's reach is shorter, his height is shorter. Manny is a volume puncher, he is going to have to try to shoot in to hit Floyd because of the difference in arm reach. Did you all see whenever Ortiz tried to shoot in on Floyd, Floyd's right hand was there to greet him? That will be the same thing over and over and over with Manny. Please don't get me started about boxing I.Q. because that just isn't fair. Technique is another joke. Watch how Manny lumbers around the ring chasing after Shane Mosley then watch how Floyd cuts off the ring against Victor Ortiz, giving him very little room to run.

Overall, you need a slick southpaw to dethrone Floyd, not a volume punching one because a volume punching boxer means that you are going to give Floyd multiple looks at your face and he doesn't miss. Floyd by TKO is what I've maintained since the beginning and is what will still happen.

Battersea Power Station said:
Icebeezy, do a 5'5"-man's balls taste like anyone else's, or is there a specific short taste to them?

Comments like these occur when you can't refute what I say. I understand people don't like him and he prefers it that way, that is why when he recently paid for Genero Hernandez's funeral, he didn't boast or brag about it. Others came out and said Floyd did it. The Money persona has so many people hating him and he's getting up there with the greatest heels of all time. However, to deny what he has done as not close to Jordan-esque is a fraudulent lie.

thirty

Banned
what do u guys think about people now saying Mayweather's attack on Merchant was premeditated so that Merchant could not ask Mayweather about Pacquio.

Esch

Banned
Actually, volume punchers and swarmers are exactly the kind of style to overwhelm a boxer looking to sit back and counter in a shell. That's really quite basic fundamental rock paper scissors in boxing. Boxer beats slugger, slugger beats swarmer, swarmer beats boxer. Now I won't say that Manny is a pure swarmer in the traditional sense nowadays, he tends to box and combo it in and out at the middle range rather than forcing a fight up close, but a lot of the the characteristics are still there. People make the comparison between Marquez and Floyd a lot... I have no idea why to be honest, perhaps it's because they both have counterpunching ability? Marquez is a very traditional boxer-puncher in the mexican style Beristain teaches. He is absolutely willing to stand and trade up front, and bring the fight to Pacquiao. You can't lean or roll away from that kind of volume. You have to face it and fight it out to an extent. Mayweather could get on his bike shamelessly and stink the joint out for a decision rather easily, especially if Pac's as flatfooted laterally as he was last time, but I don't think he'd approach the fight this way, there's too much reputation wise at stake.

For God's sake please leave the Compubox bugbear alone. It's based solely upon a couple people using clickers to determine the validity of a punch. It's not scientific. It doesn't account for the efficacy of blows. It's just numbers that skew the perception of a fight just as retardedly as the amateur scoring system does. It's validity as to whom is a better fighter, or who bossed a fight more is limited.

Anyway Floyd should be favored due to his dirty right hand counter, ring IQ, and mobility... but Manny brings a combination of speed, power, and stamina from a physical perspective that Floyd has never faced. And technique wise he brings his fast and heavy combination punching, much improved feinting and drawing, a dynamite left hand that can hurt anyone, unorthodox blows, and solid lateral movement. And he has absolutely slain everything in front of him since Diaz. These are fights people laughed at in 2008 for even being proposed. He can do it.

thirty said:
what do u guys think about people now saying Mayweather's attack on Merchant was premeditated so that Merchant could not ask Mayweather about Pacquio.

I highly doubt he was being that cerebral after a prize fight. I think that Floyd has been waiting for some time to tell Merchant how he feels about him.

He talked plenty about Manny during the press conference.

Agent Icebeezy said:
There is artistry in technical brilliance. Anybody can be put on their ass. Not everyone can box for 12 rounds and clearly dominate and negate everything your opponent does. Floyd was doing that to Victor early on in the fight. It's demoralizing for an opponent 14 pounds heavier, to not only get hit at will, only connect 18% of his punches, get walked down by the smaller fighter and on top of all of that, have your opponent shake his head in disapproval towards you after you've had some of your 'best' moments. That messes with you mentally, far more than a knockout.

That technical brilliance must be the reason Floyd hasn't sold out a fight in four years.

I just caught the replay of this tonight. I used to love boxing, buy this is like the first fight I've watched in five or six years and probably won't watch another one for that long. The KO was legal, but it just seem kinda cheap. But it was legal.

Look, I can't knock Mayweather. Guy is pound for pound probably one of the best fighters that ever lived, but god damn do I not like his personality. Telling Larry Merchant off? Really? His ego just rubs me the wrong way.

Ortiz was professional. He wasn't crying in the post fight interview. I really just wish Mayweather could be more humble sometimes, instead of coming off as boxing's biggest troll. Again, he's perhaps the best boxer these past 10-15 years, but damn he does he come off as a heel sometimes.

GillianSeed79 said:
I just caught the replay of this tonight. I used to love boxing, buy this is like the first fight I've watched in five or six years and probably won't watch another one for that long. The KO was legal, but it just seem kinda cheap. But it was legal.

Look, I can't knock Mayweather. Guy is pound for pound probably one of the best fighters that ever lived, but god damn do I not like his personality. Telling Larry Merchant off? Really? His ego just rubs me the wrong way.

Ortiz was professional. He wasn't crying in the post fight interview. I really just wish Mayweather could be more humble sometimes, instead of coming off as boxing's biggest troll. Again, he's perhaps the best boxer these past 10-15 years, but damn he does he come off as a heel sometimes.

I wouldn't let a pretty boy floyd fight influence your decision on watching boxing. There are plenty of great bouts that still go on.

LQX

GillianSeed79 said:

Ortiz was not crying because he knows he fucked up in more ways than one. The only thing he could do was eat his humble pie and smile.

Mayweather I agree talks a lot of shit but the media does a lot to make him the bad guy of the sport so he might as well roll with it for the paydays that may come from it. It's an act. And just look at the fact Ortiz was practically jumping out of his boxing shoes to headbutt him yet its overlooked because Mayweather is the perceived villain.

Chiave

GillianSeed79 said:

Well, he said he told Merchant off because he never gives him his props. Like he's never able to thank the fans properly or something...

Chiave said:
Well, he said he told Merchant off because he never gives him his props. Like he's never able to thank the fans properly or something...
Before I stopped following boxing, I certainly could see how the media had framed Mayweather as a heel, so I can see how he may feel slighted. That's part of his PPV draw, though, and he embraces it. He knows a certain percentage of the people who buy his fights do because of his heel character, real or not, and want to see him lose.

But to say Merchant doesn't know shit about boxing and the outburst kind of cemented my dislike for Mayweather. Merchant is always kind of dickish, but Mayweather didn't even try to answer any questions after a controversial ending. Mayweather is a master promoter and when Merchant basically said you didn't answer my question, Mayweather went into a tirade.

Sure, Merchant was unprofessional as well. He should have said I respect your opinion and dropped it. If anyone of us said what he said to Mayweather in the real world we'd be fired, but the fact he did, right or wrong, was awesome. Stupid and unfair, but awesome.

I would have liked to see Mayweather and Merchant apologize to each other later I guess.

RBH

Floyd Mayweather Jr. does not plan on taking another 16-month vacation from the boxing ring, like he did after easily outpointing Shane Mosley in May 2010.

Instead, Mayweather, who knocked out Victor Ortiz on Sept. 17, will make a relatively hasty return: May 5 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, adviser Leonard Ellerbe told ESPN.com on Wednesday night.

Mayweather's opponent has not been determined but Ellerbe said, "We're looking to make the biggest fight possible and everyone knows what that fight is, the little fella."

Ellerbe was, of course, referring to Manny Pacquiao. The welterweight champions and the top two pound-for-pound fighters in the world have been on a collision course for years. However, negotiations have fallen apart over drug testing protocol.

Pacquiao is set to fight Juan Manuel Marquez for the third time Nov. 12 at the MGM Grand and is a heavy favorite.

"Floyd made it very clear that he wants to give the fans the biggest fights that are out there. He wants to stay active," Ellerbe said. "We're going to do everything in our power to make the biggest fight out there for the fans and we all know what the fight is."

Mayweather, a five-division champion, has fought only five times since 2007.

Ellerbe said Mayweather informed him and fellow adviser Al Haymon on Wednesday of his decision to return in May.

"We had a discussion, Floyd, me and Al," Ellerbe said. "Floyd made it very clear to us what he wanted to do. He told us he is looking to make the biggest fight that is out there and to make it in May."

Ellerbe also informed Golden Boy promoter Richard Schaefer, who does not have a contract with Mayweather but has promoted his last five bouts, of the plan.

"I'm very excited that the sport's biggest pay-per-view star is going to be back on May 5," Schaefer told ESPN.com. "We have informed the pay-per-view industry and I have the arena on hold. I'm excited to continue my relationship with Floyd and his team. It's always fun to work with Floyd."

Although May 5 is seven months away, Mayweather's fights have typically been promoted for several months in advance of the fight. The first weekend of May is traditionally a weekend for a major pay-per-view fight.

"We have to plan any time you're the biggest star in the sport," Ellerbe said. "You have to plan in advance because his fights are events. In order to maximize the exposure you want to plan as far in advance as you can to make your event as big as possible. May 5, that is the date Floyd is fighting on. We have secured May 5 at the MGM. Floyd is excited to make his return."

Mayweather (42-0, 26 KOs), who turns 35 in February, reclaimed one of his old welterweight titles with his knockout of Ortiz in a fight that Golden Boy said generated 1.25 million buys and $78.44 million in domestic pay-per-view revenue. The buys tied the fight for third place all-time among non-heavyweight pay-per-views and gave Mayweather his third consecutive 1 million-plus pay-per-view fight and fourth in his last five bouts.

Although Mayweather plans to fight, he still faces several legal cases. He was acquitted last week of misdemeanor harassment charges alleging that he had threatened the lives of two security guards in the gated community in Las Vegas where he lives. But he faces a trial for a misdemeanor battery complaint alleging he poked another homeowner association security guard in the face during a different confrontation over parking tickets last November. Mayweather has pleaded not guilty.

In the most serious case, Mayweather faces four felony and four misdemeanor charges stemming from an alleged domestic dispute with his former girlfriend, who is the mother of two of his children.
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/7184086/floyd-mayweather-jr-wants-make-biggest-fight-possible-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom