• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing: Floyd Mayweather vs. Victor Ortiz |OT| 9/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ninja Scooter said:
any great young american athlete with the size to be a heavyweight is pushed to football these days. Much greater chance of "making it" and making millions of dollars.

More work days though. Gotta work on the Lord's day? Get outta here with that.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Are all boxing matches fixed?

I saw the footage of the head butt and knockout and I am convinced that Ortiz took a dive and the "controversy" was staged.

I don't watch boxing and I can't help but think that if I am commenting on a boxing thread then the controversy has generated more interest in boxing in general, which was the point of manufacturing the controversy in the first place.

WrikaWrek

Banned
B!TCH said:

I saw the footage of the head butt and knockout and I am convinced that Ortiz took a dive and the "controversy" was staged.

I don't watch boxing and I can't help but think that if I am commenting on a boxing thread then the controversy has generated more interest in boxing in general, which was the point of manufacturing the controversy in the first place.

It did all look like something out of the WWE. There's an air of "surrealness".

B!TCH said:

You don't need to go so far to fix a match. This was just incompetence all around. And it's really bad for boxing.

That Singer Guy... said:
Lol at people still bashing Floyd in this thread and trying to score that 4th round in Ortiz favor after he lost a point...LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

It became clear to me last night that most of the people in this thread know nothing about boxing, so I can't say i'm surprised.

People have become completely disingenuous right now. It's interesting though, no other athlete bring this type of emotion out of people. To watch people do these mental gymnastics, just to come up with all sorts of new,irrational ways to discredit him, it's amazing really.

B!TCH said:

It wasn't fixed. Cortez is known to be a shitty ref, Mayweather has taken cheap shots before, and Ortiz shouldn't be a boxer. It's just a mix of those things that made it like this. I really don't see how anyone could even think that it was fixed. It's just a stupid fighter who should be protecting himself instead of pleading to the ref. Obviously the ref should be watching the boxers, but Mayweather did nothing wrong, so that doesn't really matter in the end.

aktham

Wow this thread is still going? The headbutt was vicious by Ortiz. He cut PBF in 2 places with it, but the focus seems to be on the "cheapshot" by Mayweather. Now imagine if Mayweather was the one who threw a headbutt and got penalized for it, and eventually won it by a knockout.

Trollface.gif

This place would blow up.

Don't know if its been posted already but...

2lsxjyb.jpg

DiscoJer

Ninja Scooter said:
any great young american athlete with the size to be a heavyweight is pushed to football these days. Much greater chance of "making it" and making millions of dollars.

I dunno about actually making it in the NFL (what, maybe 150 rookies stick a year?), but you at least can get a college education by playing football.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
SlipperySlope said:
Oh and that's another thing. Pacquiao beats the same fighters that Floyd fights, but beats them better. Manny demolishes them. Floyd got in trouble with Mosley, but Manny just destroyed Mosley. There was never any doubt. Pacquiao-Mosley was a joke in how lopsided it was, as Mosley himself said after the fight. Pacquiao hurt him much more than Floyd.

It is much more of a clusterfuck for a boxer to be in the ring with a person for 12 rounds and not be able to hit him from round 1 - round 12 while he is tagging you with ease. With a knockout, there could always be that doubt about the outcome because the KO could come from a lucky punch. When someone straight up outboxes you for 12 rounds, consistently, that is when you go home and rethink shit. A boxing fan will tell you that.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
WrikaWrek said:
It did all look like something out of the WWE. There's an air of "surrealness".

The ref looking away for an extended period of time was so WWF-like.

abuC

computers putin' said:
People have become completely disingenuous right now. It's interesting though, no other athlete bring this type of emotion out of people. To watch people do these mental gymnastics, just to come up with all sorts of new,irrational ways to discredit him, it's amazing really.
The best part is he's playing people, he's making a fortune off people hating him after his "Prettyboy" persona didn't work.

aktham said:
Wow this thread is still going? The headbutt was vicious by Ortiz. He cut PBF in 2 places with it, but the focus seems to be on the "cheapshot" by Mayweather. Now imagine if Mayweather was the one who threw a headbutt and got penalized for it, and eventually won it by a knockout.

Trollface.gif

This place would blow up.
ok and guess what, the ref deducted a point for that headbutt so it was properly penalized. the issue here is that the ref didn't separate them properly however and didn't send them to their corners. He then did a weird half assed restart and was looking away afterwards.

leadbelly

Banned
B!TCH said:

Well, the popularity of boxing has certainly decreased over the years. Boxing was HUGE in previous decades.

I don't know if it was staged, but I can see the angle you're coming from.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Looking at the past games, the fighters have been very inconsistent. The Pacquiao VS Margarito fight looked legit, both boxers seemed to be fighting for real. The Mayweather VS Mosley fight looked like Floyd wasn't even trying in the first rounds. The Pacquiao VS Mosley fight, it looked like Mosley wasn't even trying. And now this fight.

So I don't know, I don't trust the sport really. I just want to see the Mayweather VS Pacquiao fight.

JLG-

Ether_Snake said:
Looking at the past games, the fighters have been very inconsistent. The Pacquiao VS Margarito fight looked legit, both boxers seemed to be fighting for real. The Mayweather VS Mosley fight looked like Floyd wasn't even trying in the first rounds. The Pacquiao VS Mosley fight, it looked like Mosley wasn't even trying. And now this fight.

So I don't know, I don't trust the sport really. I just want to see the Mayweather VS Pacquiao fight.
Styles make fights dude.

params7

Banned
Ether_Snake said:

You're thinking too much. This wasn't fixed. Mayweather wasn't even trying, don't you think he'd try to oversell it like WWE if it was fixed?

Shit happens. If this was fixed we'd have a result (via proper fighting), not something which makes the sport of boxing look like a joke.

Mayweather is awesome at pissing everyone off. The shot was "cheap", but legal.

That being said, I think Pacquiao would demolish him. Not that the fight will happen, given Mayweather's great ducking job so far.

charsace

ShadyMilkman said:

That being said, I think Pacquiao would demolish him. Not that the fight will happen, given Mayweather's great ducking job so far.
Floyd would out box Pacquiao for a decision win.

Agent Icebeezy

ShadyMilkman said:

How is a person supposed to know that asking a man of numerous tattoos of a blood test that more excuses than a prostitute in church would ensue? That three different people (Freddie Roach, Bob Arum, and Michael Koncz) would say three different responses on behalf of Pacquiao. Not to mention all the catch-weights so they can drain opponents and fighting people coming off of losses.

Leading up to the fight, Manny's team made these stipulations

Glove size
Ring size
Weight limit
50-50 purse split (Even though Floyd brings in far more money)
Pacquiao’s $10 million dollar fine for every pound Mayweather weighs beyond the welterweight limit. (above and beyond the NSAC penalty, which demands 20% of the fighter’s purse for coming in overweight)

Mayweather's only demand
Olympic style drug testing

Floyd agreed to all of Manny's, can't say the same in return but Floyd is ducking?

Floyd by awesome TKO if this fight ever happened.

clemenx

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
How is a person supposed to know that asking a man of numerous tattoos of a blood test that more excuses than a prostitute in church would ensue? That three different people (Freddie Roach, Bob Arum, and Michael Koncz) would say three different responses on behalf of Pacquiao. Not to mention all the catch-weights so they can drain opponents and fighting people coming off of losses.

Glove size
Ring size
Weight limit
Pacquiao’s $10 million dollar fine for every pound Mayweather weighs beyond the welterweight limit. (above and beyond the NSAC penalty, which demands 20% of the fighter’s purse for coming in overweight)

Mayweather's only demand

Floyd agreed to all of Manny's, can't say the same in return but Floyd is ducking?

Every post explaining why is it a lie that Mayweather is dodging Paquiao and that Paquiao is the one that's being more obstructive just gets ignored always, I wonder why.

Agent Icebeezy said:
It is much more of a clusterfuck for a boxer to be in the ring with a person for 12 rounds and not be able to hit him from round 1 - round 12 while he is tagging you with ease. With a knockout, there could always be that doubt about the outcome because the KO could come from a lucky punch. When someone straight up outboxes you for 12 rounds, consistently, that is when you go home and rethink shit. A boxing fan will tell you that.

So I'm not a boxing fan now. GTFO.

Ketchup Boy

Maaaan, Floyd's "I don't give a fu*k" attitude is starting to grow on me. I ain't going to lie, so much spunk in a 150 lb., 5'5" man is admirable.

ShadyMilkman said:

Mayweather will KO pacman easily. Why do you think pacman is ducking floyd by not taking the test...

mike23

Just watched the fight. Ortiz completely deserved to get knocked the fuck out. That headbutt was clearly on purpose and if you're going to cheat you shouldn't apologize like an asshole right after. And especially don't let your guard down when your still boxing with the dude you just headbutted.

If it was an accident, Mayweather's punches would have been uncalled for, but Ortiz illegally headbutted Mayweather and Mayweather legally knocked his ass out.

Agent Icebeezy

SlipperySlope said:
So I'm not a boxing fan now. GTFO.

There is artistry in technical brilliance. Anybody can be put on their ass. Not everyone can box for 12 rounds and clearly dominate and negate everything your opponent does. Floyd was doing that to Victor early on in the fight. It's demoralizing for an opponent 14 pounds heavier, to not only get hit at will, only connect 18% of his punches, get walked down by the smaller fighter and on top of all of that, have your opponent shake his head in disapproval towards you after you've had some of your 'best' moments. That messes with you mentally, far more than a knockout.

Blackhead

Redarse
clemenx said:
Every post explaining why is it a lie that Mayweather is dodging Paquiao and that Paquiao is the one that's being more obstructive just gets ignored always, I wonder why.
Are those equally weighted demands though? I'd imagine glove size, ring size etc are aspects of the deal they'd have to negotiate anyway. I got the impression this blood sampling was something not usually required by Mayweather in such matchups!?

Greyface said:
Are those equally weighted demands though? I'd imagine glove size, ring size etc are aspects of the deal they'd have to negotiate anyway. I got the impression this blood sampling was something not usually required by Mayweather in such matchups!?

He required it of Mosely and Mosely had no problems complying.

Agent Icebeezy

Greyface said:

Gloves and ring size are negotiated. The weight will be at 147, no catch-weights. The 10 million per pound over is unprecedented and looking at PPV numbers for common opponents, Manny doesn't deserve 50% share, but Floyd signed on anyways.

Oscar De La Hoya (2.44 million to 1.25 million), Juan Manuel Marquez (1 million to 375,000) and Ricky Hatton (950,000 to 810,000).

Bob Arum still hasn't released the Pacquiao/Mosley numbers. Rest assured they are far less than the 1.2 million Floyd got with him. Shane got tested, Victor got tested, Amir Khan is dying to get tested. Manny? Nothing.

Mike Tyson made Evander Holyfield take a steroid test in 1996. Holyfield took it without an issue. I don't see the big deal now.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Gloves and ring size are negotiated. The weight will be at 147, no catch-weights. The 10 million per pound over is unprecedented and looking at PPV numbers for common opponents, Manny doesn't deserve 50% share, but Floyd signed on anyways.

Oscar De La Hoya (2.44 million to 1.25 million), Juan Manuel Marquez (1 million to 375,000) and Ricky Hatton (950,000 to 810,000).

Bob Arum still hasn't released the Pacquiao/Mosley numbers. Rest assured they are far less than the 1.2 million Floyd got with him. Shane got tested, Victor got tested, Amir Khan is dying to get tested. Manny? Nothing.

Mike Tyson made Evander Holyfield take a steroid test in 1996. Holyfield took it without an issue. I don't see the big deal now.

But don't you understand? He has a fear of needles that only kicks in when he's 14 days away from a fight!!

Blackface

Banned
Ether_Snake said:

All you need to know. Is one of the biggest boxing promoters in the world, tried to make his way into MMA. He was investigated for fight fixing and fraud, and Elite XC(on showtime), which he ran, crumbled and was shut down.

Anyone who thinks he would magically do it in MMA, and not boxing, is out of their mind. Let alone half the other scumbags who promote and run big shows.

Blackface

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:

Glove size
Ring size
Weight limit

Mayweather's only demand

For the 100000000000000000000000000000000000 times.

Manny agreed to be tested , three separate times on three separate dates. FLOYD, keep moving the date of the test.

It comes to a point where you say fuck Floyd, and put your foot down. That is what Manny did. Floyd originally wanted Manny tested 30 days before the fight, and Manny has agreed to be tested between 7-14 days before the fight. This is still not good enough for Floyd.

Stop making excuses for him. He is running scared.

Baby Milo

Blackface said:
For the 100000000000000000000000000000000000 times.

Manny agreed to be tested , three separate times on three separate dates. FLOYD, keep moving the date of the test.
no he has not. his newest demand is he doesn't want USADA testing him because there biased against him(which is his worst excuse yet)

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2011/07/arum-doesnt-want-usada-testing-pacquiao/

However, Arum says that he doesn’t want the USADA to be the one conducting the tests for performance enhancing drugs, and instead wants what he calls a “Neutral organization” to do the testing. I see that as a deal breaker for Pacquiao vs. Mayweather negotiations, because Mayweather trusts the USADA, and wants them specifically to do the testing because he believes in them.

Blackface

Banned

Baby Milo

Blackface said:
He has agreed to be tested....what you linked me said he will be tested by any third party company.

I dont understand the issue with this. Most pro sports do testing this way. Floyd should pick one, and just say yes.
who do you think is the third party company that wada uses to conduct there test?

yup it's the USADA

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content10309.html

interview here with wada pr.

Arum is being shrewd because he knows most people don't know any better.

Agent Icebeezy said:

Any numbers on last night yet? I would assume it was one of his lower draws but you never know, Floyd is certainly a master hype man.

Baby Milo

Kitschkraft said:
Any numbers on last night yet? I would assume it was one of his lower draws but you never know, Floyd is certainly a master hype man.
From Yahoo's Kevin Iole

From what I'm hearing, Mayweather-Ortiz last night did somewhere around 1.3-1.4 million buys. Still early & that number is preliminary.

Baby Milo said:
From Yahoo's Kevin Iole

I am a supporter, but that is genuinely shocking to me.

I guess the 16 month layoff, and the huge promotion, drew a ton of interest? I would have bet anything that it did significantly less than this.

Agent Icebeezy said:
There is artistry in technical brilliance. Anybody can be put on their ass. Not everyone can box for 12 rounds and clearly dominate and negate everything your opponent does. Floyd was doing that to Victor early on in the fight. It's demoralizing for an opponent 14 pounds heavier, to not only get hit at will, only connect 18% of his punches, get walked down by the smaller fighter and on top of all of that, have your opponent shake his head in disapproval towards you after you've had some of your 'best' moments. That messes with you mentally, far more than a knockout.

Everything you just said is also applicable towards Pacquiao. He can box too, ya know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom