• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing: Floyd Mayweather vs. Victor Ortiz |OT| 9/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I need a bigger pic of this because Victor's eye is fucked up.

thumb_fhv_mayweatherortizpostfight1.jpg

abuC

Jackson said:
All of Mayweather's wins mean nothing until he fights the Pacman. If he wins that, he'll be validated, until then he's just fighting chumps to pad his record.

Crazy ending to this fight though.
His career is validated with or without fighting Manny, he cleared out the light weight division long before he was a household name. All the Manny fight can do is add to his legacy.

Neither guy is taking tough fights, to single Mayweather out for fighting chumps is stupid, since Manny is fighting a lot of those same fighters after Mayweather.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I'm not a big follower, clearly, but it really astounds me that they get to pick the fights they want.

So they can just...dodge the best competition out there, where is the logic?

abuC said:
His career is validated with or without fighting Manny, he cleared out the light weight division long before he was a household name. All the Manny fight can do is add to his legacy.

Neither guy is taking tough fights, to single Mayweather out for fighting chumps is stupid, since Manny is fighting a lot of those same fighters after Mayweather.

yep.

I would like to see him FIGHT MORE. He was barely touched last night, he could fight again in Dec or Jan and another 3 times before the end of 2012.

Him vs Amir Khan in England would be a license to print $, and unlike last night, they wouldn't have to give away tickets.

abuC

x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
yep.

I would like to see him FIGHT MORE. He was barely touched last night, he could fight again in Dec or Jan and another 3 times before the end of 2012.

Him vs Amir Khan in England would be a license to print $, and unlike last night, they wouldn't have to give away tickets.
I think Mayweather would fight Manny long before Khan. Amir might be green and have a so-so chin but that height plus his speed make him incredibly dangerous. Floyd will be able to fight from outside and potshot Manny, can't do that to Khannnnnnnnnnnn.

You're right though, that would be a monster fight, easily selling out Wembley.

RBH

Negotiations between Floyd Mayweather’s camp and Amir Khan’s American handlers, Golden Boy Promotions, have taken place over the summer to set up Amir Khan versus Mayweather in 2012, when the British fighter steps up from light-welterweight (140lbs) to welterweight (147lbs).

Khan, the World Boxing Association light-welterweight champion, explained: “The defining night of this stage in my career is to get Mayweather in a ring with me. I’m not after Mayweather for the pay day, I’m after him for the glory. I want to be the man remembered in history for taking his unbeaten record away, and want that as part of my legacy.

“He has said he’d like to fight in the UK, and it would be brilliant to have the contest in Britain, with 80,000 in a covered stadium.”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...-crush-Floyd-Mayweathers-unbeaten-record.html

MANILA, Philippines – British light-welterweight champion Amir Khan continues to criticize unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr.

In an interview with The Sun, Khan blasted Mayweather for avoiding a fight against him, going so far as to call Mayweather “a chicken.”

“In my opinion, Mayweather is a chicken. He is doing everything to avoid me just as he did everything to avoid fighting Manny Pacquiao,” Khan said.

Khan and Pacquiao are sparring partners and both are trained by Freddie Roach.

Mayweather, who is set to fight WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz on September 17, said in various interviews that Khan will have to defeat Jesse Vargas first before fighting him.

But Khan, who is coming off a knockout victory over Zab Judah, sees this as a tactic to avoid him.

“I don’t want to sound cocky or arrogant but I believe the real reason for Mayweather avoiding me is that he knows I have his number. Mayweather knows if he ever fights me, his zero will go,” Khan said.

“All Floyd does is pick fights that he knows he will win,” Khan added.

“I thought world championship boxing was about proving who is the best, but if he keeps turning his back on me, how can he still say he is the best?” he questioned.

Khan is planning to move up to the welterweight division next year in order to pursue the fight against Mayweather.

He is set to defend his light-welterweight championship on December 10, possibly against mandatory challenger Lamont Peterson. Khan says it will be his last match at the division.
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/09/15/11/khan-mayweather-chicken-avoiding-big-fights

abuC

WrikaWrek said:
I'm not a big follower, clearly, but it really astounds me that they get to pick the fights they want.

When you get to Floyd or Mannys level you can do what you want, the belt Floyd won last night will be vacated since he won't be fighting the mandatory. They are mega draws that could fight me or you and still get ppv buys.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
uh oh. khan is chasing mayweather too. this is getting juicy. will mayweather continue to dodge?

*in my best tyson voice* "SIGN THE CONTRACT BIG BOY. SIGN THE CONTRACT"

WrikaWrek said:

this bugs me about the sport at well. and I guess this goes for MMA too.

imagine if jordan could dodge basketball games like this. malarkey!

Agent Icebeezy

WrikaWrek said:

Nonetheless, I don't see how fighting the WBC champion is dodging the best competition out there. Floyd is a favorite against everyone. Just look up mythical Floyd/Pacquiao odds. Floyd is always the favorite. Floyd is a prodigy and the others are just dudes with gloves on.

Agent Icebeezy

Bad_Boy said:
uh oh. khan is chasing mayweather too. this is getting juicy. will mayweather continue to dodge?

*in my best tyson voice* "SIGN THE CONTRACT BIG BOY. SIGN THE CONTRACT"

Floyd will beat the brakes off of Amir Khan. He can get even more money then.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Agent Icebeezy said:
Nonetheless, I don't see how fighting the WBC champion is dodging the best competition out there. Floyd is a favorite against everyone. Just look up mythical Floyd/Pacquiao odds. Floyd is always the favorite. Floyd is a prodigy and the others are just dudes with gloves on.
I think it's the fact hes not fighting the best, and calling himself the best. Ortiz may have been good competition, but hes not the best. Next to mayweather, manny is the best. Mayweather's record may show that hes the better fighter, but until they fight... that argument can never be proven.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Floyd will beat the brakes off of Amir Khan. He can get even more money then.
then it should be no problem for floyd to sign the contract. right?

Bad_Boy said:
this bugs me about the sport at well. and I guess this goes for MMA too.

imagine if jordan could dodge basketball games like this. malarkey!

It's because all the organizations and commissions are shady, broken and corrupt. I love that Floyd basically tells them to fuck off, throws their belts in the trash and fights whoever he wants. Wish all the fighters would do this, the faster we'd get rid of them.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Ninja Scooter said:
It's because all the organizations and commissions are shady, broken and corrupt. I love that Floyd basically tells them to fuck off, throws their belts in the trash and fights whoever he wants. Wish all the fighters would do this, the faster we'd get rid of them.
I think its safe to say we only need one fight. No need to get rid of the trash. Best of the best, Manny vs Mayweather.

its been 3 years since the "rivalry". i hope they fight before they both get too old and it'll forever be a mystery.

Agent Icebeezy

Bad_Boy said:
I think it's the fact hes not fighting the best, and calling himself the best. Ortiz may have been good competition, but hes not the best. Next to mayweather, manny is the best. Mayweather's record may show that hes the better fighter, but until they fight... that argument can never be proven.

then it should be no problem for floyd to sign the contract. right?

Floyd wants to fight in England, this might happen to be honest.

Avtomat

betty swollocks said:
What?

They were saying his not thrown combo's because he has no need to - his single strikes are that accurate and do the job just fine.

Anyway, as the guy said; they were all over his dick haha
Didn't hear that part, but lets keep it fair and balanced whilst they did say he had not thrown a combination since someone or another was in office they also said he was one of the best fighters around and were praising his ring game all night.

abuC

Bad_Boy said:
I think its safe to say we only need one fight. No need to get rid of the trash. Best of the best, Manny vs Mayweather.

its been 3 years since the "rivalry". i hope they fight before they both get too old and it'll forever be a mystery.
If he beats Manny people will say he needs to fight Amir, if he beats Amir they will say he should fight Timothy Bradley.

Basically, the line of fighters never ends.

abuC said:
If he beats Manny people will say he needs to fight Amir, if he beats Amir they will say he should fight Timothy Bradley.

Pretty much this. People will continue to say he hasn't fought the best because the goal post is always moving.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
abuC said:

Nobody will say that cuz nobody knows who the fuck those other people are.

Agent Icebeezy

Brian Fellows said:

Yes, they will because the goal posts always move with Floyd, never mind the fact that all of Manny's recent opponents have all come off of losses while Floyd's have all been in the top 10 pfp lists. People's hate blind them from the brilliance.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Brian Fellows said:
Exactly.

You got it backwards my friend. If Mayweather beats Amir, he still needs to fight Manny.
Manny is the end game, theres no one else on the same level as mayweather.

Agent Icebeezy

Bad_Boy said:
Exactly.

You got it backwards my friend. If Mayweather beats Amir, he still needs to fight Manny.
Manny is the end game, theres no one else on the same level as mayweather.

Stop being obtuse, Manny isn't on Floyd's level either, he's just preceived to be the closest. He has far shorter arms than Mayweather, can't fight on his back foot and can't cut off the ring. Floyd will just stalk him all night. Floyd will fight bigger and Manny sure as shit isn't going to outthink Floyd in the ring. What we saw for the first 3.5 rounds last night is the same thing we'd see if Arum would let his boxer in the ring with Floyd.

abuC

Brian Fellows said:
Nobody in the mainstream knew who Floyd or Manny were 10 years ago, all it takes is great performance from a young prospect (like Khan) and they become household names that Floyd needs to fight.

MrHicks

Banned
any idea when boxing will STOP these PPV cards where only 1 fight gets attention?

no attention whatsoever to the undercard is given
i mean LOOK at the poster of this event
only floyd and ortiz are on it not even mentioning the others

can you imagine MMA cards just being 1 fight?
how the fuck is boxing supposed to make future stars if they can't build a fanbase through undercard appearences

ugh

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Agent Icebeezy said:
Yes, they will because the goal posts always move with Floyd, never mind the fact that all of Manny's recent opponents have all come off of losses while Floyd's have all been in the top 10 pfp lists. People's hate blind them from the brilliance.
I don't hate mayweather at all. The guy is great at the sport, and hes smart.

But don't fool yourself, the fight needs to happen.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Stop being obtuse, Manny isn't on Floyd's level either, he's just preceived to be the closest. He has far shorter arms than Mayweather, can't fight on his back foot and can't cut off the ring. Floyd will just stalk him all night. Floyd will fight bigger and Manny sure as shit isn't going to outthink Floyd in the ring. What we saw for the first 3.5 rounds last night is the same thing we'd see if Arum would let his boxer in the ring with Floyd.
Oh gez, you're one of them. I can hear the gagging from over here.

I'm just saying. We as fans, need proof.

MrHicks said:
any idea when boxing will STOP these PPV cards where only 1 fight gets attention?

no attention whatsoever to the undercard is given
i mean LOOK at the poster of this event
only floyd and ortiz are on it not even mentioning the others

can you imagine MMA cards just being 1 fight?
how the fuck is boxing supposed to make future stars if they can't build a fanbase through undercard appearences

ugh
So much is wrong with the sport. Its sad too, looking at how MMA blew up, Boxing doesnt have to do much to fix it.

Makes me miss the 80's & 90's of the sport.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Syphon Filter said:
When Floyd ko's pacquiao you guys will use excuses that floyd was too big or something. There is always an excuse.
The fact that mayweather's opponents have said manny hits harder, that would be one weak excuse if he KO's manny.

I will have no excuse. I just want the fight to happen.

abuC

Bad_Boy said:
The fact that mayweather's opponents have said manny hits harder, that would be one weak excuse if he KO's manny.

I will have no excuse. I just want the fight to happen.
I think people would be really disappointed with a Manny/Floyd fight, in the end Floyd isn't going to trade with Manny. A lot of people want to see Floyd get knocked out but he's got a great chin to go along with his excellent defense. I think for the casual fans it would be boring, but it could be a master class boxing clinic.

Agent Icebeezy

Bad_Boy said:
I don't hate mayweather at all. The guy is great at the sport, and hes smart.

But don't fool yourself, the fight needs to happen.

Oh gez, you're one of them. I can hear the gagging from over here.

I'm just saying. We as fans, need proof.

So much is wrong with the sport. Its sad too, looking at how MMA blew up, Boxing doesnt have to do much to fix it.

Makes me miss the 80's & 90's of the sport.

I agree, because Floyd's fighter of the decade was robbed primarily. People will just be amazed at how Floyd easily dispatches Pacquiao. It will not be pretty at all.

Agent Icebeezy said:
LOL, especially when Ortiz tried seven different times to headbutt Floyd as shown in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNqf4_M7iEI&feature=player_embedded
Thanks for this. You know I saw a replay and was ready to give an opinion but this makes it all the more clear. It was a dirty fight all around.Floyd will catch most of the backlash because of the "cheap" KO and alot people's dislike for him but Ortiz didn't come off as any fairer. There is just no excuse for all those intentional headbutts and the ref should've penalized ORTIZ way earlier than he did. Anybody trying to downplay the headbutts because of the final KO is clearly biased.

DR3AM said:
when, if at all, would be a good time for the mayweather-pacquiao fight?

Cinco De Mayo seems to be a big boxing PPV date in the past, but I don't really think it matters. If it happens they could make it on a Thursday afternoon in February and it would set records.

Syphon Filter said:
When Floyd ko's pacquiao you guys will use excuses that floyd was too big or something. There is always an excuse.
Some people actually like to see the fights actually happen before deciding for sure who would win. Crazy idea, we know.

Agent Icebeezy said:
I agree, because Floyd's fighter of the decade was robbed primarily. People will just be amazed at how Floyd easily dispatches Pacquiao. It will not be pretty at all.

IF it's so easy, then why is Floyd so scared? Because he knows he'll lose.

SlipperySlope said:

Why is Manny scared of needles all of a sudden? Both of these guys and their camps are playing the game. They are fighting relative cans, banking tens of millions of dollars and letting ego and greed get in the way of making the fight everyone wants to see. There's no urgency to get a deal done because both fighters know they can recycle the same retreads like JMM and Sugar Shane and make $20+ million doing it, so they think they have all the time and wiggle room to posture and shake their dicks at each other. Stop acting like it's one sided. Bob Arum is as big an asshole as there is.

abuC

SlipperySlope said:
Manny wants a cut off date for the drug testing, he'll do testing up until 2 weeks or so before the fight.

Also Manny wants assurances that if he does test positive for PEDs, Floyd's camp will keep it hush hush for the sake of the sport. But no, Manny's totally innocent in this entire clusterfuck of a negotiation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom