• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing: Floyd Mayweather vs. Victor Ortiz |OT| 9/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zep

Banned
IrishNinja said:
no problem, bro. thanks for adding your own brand of passive-aggressive nonsense to this thread, it was really lacking in that before. it's definitely worth more than your logic, which was to visit another man's intentions and tell him what he was thinking, then cuss him like you're 12 when called on it.

Pretty clear where his head was when he came with this zinger:

But for Floyd himself- this was the type of shit people hate his trashy ass for

See, I can also take parts of posts out too! And like I said, rightfully called out on it because it was a bullshit comment. Now go play somewhere.

McNei1y

what the fuck happened in this fight. both fighters have my mind boggled. such a freaking stupid way to end such an amazing match. Paq and Floyd better see eye to eye because I want a real match to go down without some bs headbutting.

for the record, merchants response was downright amazing.

harSon

Banned
McNei1y said:
what the fuck happened in this fight. both fighters have my mind boggled. such a freaking stupid way to end such an amazing match. Paq and Floyd better see eye to eye because I want a real match to go down without some bs headbutting.

for the record, merchants response was downright amazing.

Not really. He was already being a dick, and instead of taking the high road, he continued down the road of dickery.

McNei1y

harSon said:
Not really. He was already being a dick, and instead of taking the high road, he continued down the road of dickery.

oh come on. He was just asking what pretty much everyone had on their minds. He even went the same route when he was asking Ortiz questions. Headbutting is obviously dirty and thats understandable. But how is asking questions about a "controversial" 1-2 punch which K.O.s the opponent considered dickery? I don't think Floyds way to end the bout is illegal or anything so thats why I put controversial in quotes but I understand the reason to keep asking questions about it since MANY people were in shock and awe when Ortiz was going in for a hug and a second later gets knocked out. Merchant wanted a straight up answer. Thats why he kept asking Floyd about it. Sure, it may seem unprofessional to tell someone if you were 50 years younger etc etc... but its also unprofessional to tell someone that they wish they were fired and that they're shit. Both Merchant and Mayweather were unprofessional, there is no denying that. I just think its funny and awesome that a dude of Merchants age actually said such a thing to Mayweather, who has had an amazing career and would probably destroy him lol.

Zep

Banned
McNei1y said:
oh come on. He was just asking what pretty much everyone had on their minds. He even went the same route when he was asking Ortiz questions. Headbutting is obviously dirty and thats understandable. But how is asking questions about a "controversial" 1-2 punch which K.O.s the opponent considered dickery? I don't think Floyds way to end the bout is illegal or anything so thats why I put controversial in quotes but I understand the reason to keep asking questions about it since MANY people were in shock and awe when Ortiz was going in for a hug and a second later gets knocked out. Merchant wanted a straight up answer. Thats why he kept asking Floyd about it. Sure, it may seem unprofessional to tell someone if you were 50 years younger etc etc... but its also unprofessional to tell someone that they wish they were fired and that they're shit. Both Merchant and Mayweather were unprofessional, there is no denying that. I just think its funny and awesome that a dude of Merchants age actually said such a thing to Mayweather, who has had an amazing career and would probably destroy him lol.

Floyd had a right to get talked to like that after saying Merchant should be fired. Larry's interviews usually annoy me, but tonight he did nothing to warrant Floyd going off on him like that. He was in the middle of a damn question, lol.

I'm going to have to join the Floyd Defense Force on this one.

The gif posted earlier in this thread is misleading. If you just watch the last 4-5 seconds of the fight than yeah Floyd appears to be a giant dick for the sucker punch and the hate on him seems justified.

But if you watch the previous 30-40 seconds ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD15cR4ke4w ) leading up to the sucker punch, Ortiz comes off as an amateur while Floyd was simply crafty.

Most of the people who are upset in this thread or ignoring that Ortiz already hugged and kissed Floyd immediately after the headbutt. Floyd tapped gloves with him then. Cortez split them apart. THEN Cortez signals them to resume fighting, and not only did Ortiz want to tap gloves again (which Floyd did while keeping his hands up) but Ortiz wanted ANOTHER hug!? The fight is already live and he's already hugged and kissed Floyd and tapped gloves TWICE.... This isn't a sparring session, it's a championship/PPV fight. Floyd isn't obligated to maintain an extended bromance with his opponent in the middle of a fight after he just got head-butted.

And even worse, after the initial "reality" punch by Floyd, Ortiz didn't put his hands up. Just kept his hands at waist level and stared at the ref. So of course Floyd popped him with another.

I always appreciate and prefer sportsmanship but you have to be smart too in a competitive sport. When you give a hard foul to an opponent, you can't keep seeking forgiveness repeatedly in the middle of a live match/game/fight. You just have to deal with the fact that you probably pissed off your opponent with the dirty play and just continue on.

Hopefully not just Ortiz but also all other young fighters learn from this. Stop the excessive bromancing and make sure you keep your hands up at all times. There's live ammunition right in front of you. If you're not careful, you're head is going to get blown off.

I thought he was asking for Floyd's number myself, Floyd was like "WTF I already said no, can we continue our match" and Ortiz still wanted some... couldn't understand it. Maybe Ortiz was smitten by Mayweather's style, I dunno.

Satyamdas

Banned
Clairvoyance said:
Yet on the other end of the spectrum, Floyd haters act like he did rape their mother, robbed them of every penny, and killed their puppy.

Funny how that works.
Haters gonna hate, of course, but I'm seeing a lot more over the top stannish behavior in this thread than extreme hate for Floyd. Even dudes like me who don't like him or hate him are saying he was within his rights to drop Ortiz and not making a big deal out of it.

Blackace said:
Not a fan of Mayweather but this is really stupid...
You can replace "Floyd" stans with any other stans and the statement will be just as true. It just so happens that tonight is a night for the Floyd stans to stand up and be noticed. And good for them, their dude won tonight fair and square. But come on son, some of these posts are so ridiculously apologetic and gushing with praise that even Floyd's publicist is probably shaking his head at them.

Jackson

All of Mayweather's wins mean nothing until he fights the Pacman. If he wins that, he'll be validated, until then he's just fighting chumps to pad his record.

Crazy ending to this fight though.

Saw it again and Cortez did restart the fight. He said "Lets go" and then turns around to the officials to make sure they've understood what happened [headbutt]. As he is doing this, Ortiz casually walks towards Mayweather to try and apologise again. He extends his arms but Floyd bumps his gloves onto Ortiz's. Mayweather said "we touched gloves" but this isn't true judging from the replays. A lot of people watching that, because of Cortez looking elsewhere immediately after he restarted it, and then Ortiz walking towards Mayweather didn't even realise the match was restarted hence the confusion. It was a dirty punch, although technically legal it appears as Cortez does say 'lets go', things like that shouldn't stand as it clearly goes against sportsmanship. So did the headbutt, but no one got KO'd for that importantly.

Here's the thing, if that punch didn't KO Ortiz, no one would be complaining even if it was dirty; payback for the headbutt they would have said. The problem is he won the match using that.

Does Dave Meltzer do boxing? does anyone have numbers on Boxing Vs MMA Vs WWE, growing up in the tyson era, boxing really doesnt seem to be as popular, and even wrestling is on a downturn while it seems MMA is off the charts.

We need a chartz-like website for profitability of these 3 areas.

As for the fight, just watching clips and reading what happened, both fighters seem to be embarrassing to the sport, and I feel sorry for true fans putting up with these knuckleheads.

Vyer

Ortiz is a dumbass and Mayweather a scumbag. No surprise there.

But that's mostly on Ortiz. Just dumb dumb.

What was the ref calling for when he was looking at the judges? The bell to start the round?

kodecraft

Luixfern said:
Seems to me like an Ortiz cop out. Hes all smiles, just glad its over and he wouldn't get exposed any longer.

This. Plus he knew he messed up with the headbutt...he could've got back up but he stayed down on the canvas....basically quitting...again.

Cipherr

harSon said:
Merchant has been a dick to Mayweather in a past, and obviously had an agenda when he was being ridiculously aggressive and nasty with this interview. It wasn't the best way to handle the situation but it was justified IMO.

Then both of them need to keep that shit out of the media and on twitter or behind the scenes or whatever. The whole fucking shit was just a disgrace really. Boxing has its charm, but jesus fucking christ, such a trainwreck.

MrHicks

Banned
went to see Wikipedia if Floyd finally lost
he didn't
not gonna watch then

honestly with this guy its probably one of those "watch just to see him lose scenarios"
bores the fuck out of me

MrHicks

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:
Does Dave Meltzer do boxing? does anyone have numbers on Boxing Vs MMA Vs WWE, growing up in the tyson era, boxing really doesnt seem to be as popular, and even wrestling is on a downturn while it seems MMA is off the charts.

We need a chartz-like website for profitability of these 3 areas.

As for the fight, just watching clips and reading what happened, both fighters seem to be embarrassing to the sport, and I feel sorry for true fans putting up with these knuckleheads.

the top 10 PPV events of the year were something crazy like
6+ UFC events
maybe 2 boxing ones (those with pac or floyd in it)
and a WWE one

zuffa is killing it

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
As someone who never watches boxing this whole thing looks like a giant clusterfuck to me, and I agree with whoever said that it only hurts the sport of boxing as a whole.

All I watched was this clip, several times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD15cR4ke4w

What I see is Ortiz taking a headbutt and getting called for it. He apologizes once, touches gloves once, and goes back to his corner. You can hear the ref say "let's go" but there is nothing that looks like an official mark to resume the fight. That's only made worse by the fact that the ref is still looking down at the scorer's table when the fight is supposedly "in play."

Also I don't agree that the two touched gloves to signify the return to the fight. Ortiz went in to apologize again, quite possibly because the ref was still looking away and it was unclear that the fight had resumed. Mayweather bumped his gloves slightly but it looked more like an acknowledgement of the apology, trying to avoid the hug.

He then rocked Ortiz hard, and then again. People in here have acted like the dude gave him 5 seconds to get his guard up after the first punch. It clearly wasn't Mayweather's top punching speed but it was less than a second. Obviously Ortiz is a professional fighter but that first punch could very well have shocked him enough to keep him from realizing to raise his hands.

I'm not gonna argue about whether it's legal or not, as it seems to be, but I think that the ref really fucked up. The state of the fight was pretty unclear to me. That said, Ortiz caused the whole mess by headbutting. If he'd kept his initial flurry up, who knows, he could have eventually won. Probably not, but you never know. Ortiz then made it worse by attempting to apologize three times in the middle of a heated fight.

That being said, it was a cheap shot, legal or not. Even if the fight is officially not controversial and Mayweather won it legally, nobody should respect that kind of fighting.

Maxim726X

I wonder if the Mayweather defense force would be as quick to be on his shit if the ref comes out and admits that he temporarily stopped the fight and he still clocks him.

Probably.

MaddenNFL64

I'm on Team Mayweather. I can't help it. He's an asshole money whore, but he doesn't hide shit. And the more people hate his guts, the more I like him.

Maxim726X said:
I wonder if the Mayweather defense force would be as quick to be on his shit if the ref comes out and admits that he temporarily stopped the fight and he still clocks him.

Probably.
well, the thing is... everyone with eyes and ears saw and heard the ref restart the fight, so even if he said that, he would just be bowing to pressure from the marks who fall for money's heel schtick.

Esch

Banned
Zep said:
See, I can also take parts of posts out too! And like I said, rightfully called out on it because it was a bullshit comment. Now go play somewhere.
Just because I don't think his out of ring behavior is in line at all(and it quite certainly is not) doesn't mean that I hate the guy or his career. In the ring he's a top 5-10 defensive fighter of all time. But out of it i don't see how anyone's a big fan of dude.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
MaddenNFL64 said:
I'm on Team Mayweather. I can't help it. He's an asshole money whore, but he doesn't hide shit. And the more people hate his guts, the more I like him.
On top of that he's a gritty hard worker. Like any athlete or celebrity, his life is over analyzed and people think they know him. He's under immense hate and I do want to see his validation match against Manny just to shut people up.

I said it last night and I'll say it again, I'm more of a Mayweather fan after this fight. I want to see him prove everyone wrong and win against all the hate.

blackflag

I hate Mayweather but Ortiz deserved that. How many times Mayweather gotta let him apologize like a pussy after an obviously intentional headbutt. He already apologized twice before Cortes motioned them to fight. Ortiz deserved that. Unfortunately the fans didn't....fight looked like it was going places.

Chiave

It's pretty funny how this fight showed the perfect example of a sucker punch(es?) and Ortiz was clearly a sucker. I don't know if he learned a lesson, but I sure as hell did!

Mannnnnnn, I made a post before in this very same thread about the state of boxing. This fight hurt the sport last night. So much potential the match had as well. And folks, that wasn't a sucker punch. That was a rookie mistake by Ortiz. What a dumbass. But, did it look good? No.

WrikaWrek said:
PEople act as if Ortiz was gonna take his head off with that head butt. Give me a break, zero difference from Mayweathers elbows.

You're right, a leaping headbutt aimed squarely at Floyd's jaw would have probably been nothing. Floyd would have just brushed it off. Skull on jaw isn't bad at all, especially when a trained fighter leaps into it. Good call

harSon

Banned
This fight couldn't have ended any better for Mayweather. He absolutely thrives in situations where he's the most hated guy in the room, and following this victory, his super villain status is going to go through the roof. Now would be the perfect time to fight Pacquiao because everyone and their mom is going to want him to get his head knocked off, and they're probably going to be willing to pay to see it.

While other boxers get people to pay to see them win, Mayweather gets under the skin of fans and manipulates them into paying to see him lose. There's no difference between the money either. My facebook was filled with people who payed money to see the man lose, and these same people who are 'fans' of Pacquiao, do not pay to see him fight despite liking him wanting him to win.

It's pretty fucking genius when you think about it.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
That Effin headbutt was vicious.. and if he cut Mayweather with that, then the cut would have had a big impact on the rest of the fight if it grew any.

I am surprised Mayweather didn't clock him when he kissed him...

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
goldlion054 said:
You're right, a leaping headbutt aimed squarely at Floyd's jaw would have probably been nothing. Floyd would have just brushed it off. Skull on jaw isn't bad at all, especially when a trained fighter leaps into it. Good call

LOL, especially when Ortiz tried seven different times to headbutt Floyd as shown in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNqf4_M7iEI&feature=player_embedded

Tom_Cody

Cloudy said:
400795784.jpg

lol
Oh my god

Agent Icebeezy

Malleymal said:
That Effin headbutt was vicious.. and if he cut Mayweather with that, then the cut would have had a big impact on the rest of the fight if it grew any.

I am surprised Mayweather didn't clock him when he kissed him...

He cut Floyd pretty good with that.

Malleymal said:

Could have turned Floyd into a perpetual bleeder like Cotto has become after that Margarito fight. Thinking long term is hard though!

Don't understand how a true boxing fan can hate on Merchant. The guy clearly loves the sport and gives great fighters respect. He also calls out the BS when he sees it.

Blackace said:
The announcers were talking shit about Mayweather the whole fight... Talking about how he ain't thrown a combo since Blair left office and stuff..

What?

They were saying his not thrown combo's because he has no need to - his single strikes are that accurate and do the job just fine.

Anyway, as the guy said; they were all over his dick haha

Agent Icebeezy

Mr. Mister said:
Don't understand how a true boxing fan can hate on Merchant. The guy clearly loves the sport and gives great fighters respect. He also calls out the BS when he sees it.

Like all, he is very respectful of Floyd's skill level, but they have had run-ins for years. Merchant had this coming.

harSon

Banned
Mr. Mister said:

He and the rest of the HBO crew minus Emanuel Steward are also shameless Pacquiao ball slobberers. And he's been all over Mayweather's ass for no reason in the past.

betty swollocks said:
What?

They were saying his not thrown combo's because he has no need to - his single strikes are that accurate and do the job just fine.

Umm, they called him a boring fighter for most of the fight. Just sayin'

Agent Icebeezy

betty swollocks said:
What?

Naw, Lampley was trying to make this more exciting for Victor than it really was. Floyd figured him out in the first round. From that point, it was all downhill for Ortiz.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Like all, he is very respectful of Floyd's skill level, but they have had run-ins for years. Merchant had this coming.

But that is why I like Merchant. He respects skill but is up front if he feels you are squandering it.

dem

I don't understand why people think Larry Merchants stupid quip was awesome.

If he was 50 years younger he would beat Floyds ass? Really Larry?
That would be good coming out of Joe Frazier's mouth... not Larry Merchant.

That was a pretty controversial match. Stupid Ortiz, he was in the most important fight of his career and he fucked up twice. First by clearly headbutting Floyd and next by losing concentration while trying to apologize. You wanna apologize for some shit? Do it at the end of the round, or at the end of the fight, and if you really want to hug and kiss your oponent, you better be damn sure you keep your fucking gloves up at all times.

I don't condone Floyd's behaviour, mind you. I don't really like the guy neither inside or outside the ring, even though I acknowledge he's a very gifted athlete and boxer. But Ortiz lost this fight not because Floyd was a douche or showed poor sportmanship. He lost it because of his own stupidity.

dem said:
I don't understand why people think Larry Merchants stupid quip was awesome.

If he was 50 years younger he would beat Floyds ass? Really Larry?
That would be good coming out of Joe Frazier's mouth... not Larry Merchant.

Later, while talking to other color commentators, he said he knows Floyd would be him if he was 50 years younger, but he would still try. Heat of the moment kind of thing, ya know?

Jackson said:
All of Mayweather's wins mean nothing until he fights the Pacman. If he wins that, he'll be validated, until then he's just fighting chumps to pad his record.

Crazy ending to this fight though.

You do realize besides Miguel Cotto, Pacquiao over the last few years has been fighting the exact same chumps as mayweather? People seem to skip over this fact in their hate.

Agent Icebeezy

I can't wait for all of these fake boxing fans to go away from boxing if/when Floyd beats the brakes off of Manny. Manny's reach is even shorter, he too can't fight from his back foot. Floyd will do to him worse than what was going to eventually happen to Victor. Bob Arum doesn't want to put Manny in the same ring as Floyd because the cash cow will be no more.

SolidC213

Dumb shit from all three of them in the ring. I knew Mayweather would win but that just felt cheap even though it was legal. If this was to happen on the 12th round and Floyd was winning I wouldn't have cared as much. 4th round was not enough :/.

Under cards were good though, I thought that Cano kid was doing pretty good in the first few rounds then Holy Shit at the fountain of blood. Morales is awesome.

That Canelo vs Gomez stoppage was premature. Gomez was still defending and even scoffed when the ref stepped in to stop it. Looked like Gomez had a really good game plan but even if the fight would have gone on I think Canelo would have by a real TKO down the stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom