• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boy-Age: Because boys will be cute and silly

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolKane

Just for the hell of it I looked through this thread for use of the word "dick" (since we are forcing this comparison), and guess what? Besides this page, it's only ever been used in this thread to refer to a penis.

msv

SolKane said:
Just for the hell of it I looked through this thread for use of the word "dick" (since we are forcing this comparison), and guess what? Besides this page, it's only ever been used in this thread to refer to a penis.
You can complain about the etymology, but the intention is mostly what matters, not the actual words. I cringe at people who stare themselves blind on the words themselves, and what they also or used to mean instead of what people are actually trying to convey. Welcome to reality.

Mumei

vordhosbn said:
If you look at mainstream media 'bitch' is becoming more acceptable to use. Even guys are called 'bitches' both in daily life and on GAF. On the other hand how many women do you know that are subjected to being called a 'dick' or 'pig'?

If there's a uniquely gendered slur it definitely isn't 'bitch'. Find something real to complain about.

It is the opposite of what you say.

A guy being a "bitch" implies femininity, in the sense of a guy who is bitching (e.g. not showing appropriate masculine stoicism) or in the sense of a guy who is called someone's bitch (e.g. someone taking the weaker role in a relationship), or in the sense of a guy who is considered physically deficient (unable to defend himself the way a man is supposed to), etc. A girl being a 'bitch' is usually a girl behaving with no more assertiveness than a guy would be admired for, and is called a bitch for, essentially, acting unfeminine. Bitch is a gendered slur precisely because its usage is gendered.

Mumei said:
A guy being a "bitch" implies femininity, in the sense of a guy who is bitching (e.g. not showing appropriate masculine stoicism) or in the sense of a guy who is called someone's bitch (e.g. someone taking the weaker role in a relationship), or in the sense of a guy who is considered physically deficient (unable to defend himself the way a man is supposed to), etc. A girl being a 'bitch' is usually a girl behaving with no more assertiveness than a guy would be admired for, and is called a bitch for, essentially, acting unfeminine. Bitch is a gendered slur precisely because its usage is gendered.
I call my friends bitches all the time but I've never meant it any of those ways you've described, least of all that one for my male friends. To me and for them it's just another way of saying, "Quit being a punk/asshole/annoying." Of course, it's always just in jest since we're all jokers.

Mumei

dragonlife said:
I call my friends bitches all the time but I've never meant it any of those ways you've described, least of all that one for my male friends. To me and for them it's just another way of saying, "Quit being a punk/asshole/annoying." Of course, it's always just in jest since we're all jokers.

Well, yes, there are other ways of using it outside of that binary. I'm talking about it when used as a slur, not joking around between friends.

mantidor

Lets not waste this bump and ask for something.

so, gaydar, how the hell to develop one? I've been living in Rio de Janeiro for 4 months so I know I should have been much more lucky, but still I have no freaking clue, I'm sure there might be some pointers or something, besides the obvious "go to gay bar" which I've done already, but I'm talking more about things like work, acquaintances, etc, I know most of you are american but there has to be some common ground culturally. Seriously, this is freaking Rio, I'm not willing to let the opportunity to live here to go wasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom