• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boy-Age: Because boys will be cute and silly

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Kyon said:
These threads are everything! *subscribes* <3

btw i've noticed many gay guys identify as "straight acting", i have never judged other gay guys cause i love them all, but whats the deal with the "straight acting" deal? am i missing something? i thought we all liked guys here? or is it another term for "masculine"? How do you act straight? just curious :X

Puff out your chest and walk around with a manly strut.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Kyon said:
:lol they are. but i guess they dont know if they want to embrace who they are fully yet. idk also i dont get all the hate for the more feminine gay guys! they are so funny and lovable i love it.

oh haha, then I guess I used that term wrong back in my closet days, oops. Google say straight-acting = masculine. Although I did had to act masculine to pull off my facade, so maybe not.

Kyon said:
These threads are everything! *subscribes* <3

btw i've noticed many gay guys identify as "straight acting", i have never judged other gay guys cause i love them all, but whats the deal with the "straight acting" deal? am i missing something? i thought we all liked guys here? or is it another term for "masculine"? How do you act straight? just curious :X
straight-acting is a response to the perceived 'majority' gay personality, which is the feminine, flamboyant types. however, that term is a bit loaded as straight guys seem gayer than gay guys nowadays what with metrosexuality becoming prevalent.

the point is that a 'masculine' gay guy is less likely to be perceived as gay than their feminine counterpart (that is why the phrase is commonly 'straight-acting', in that everyone thinks you're straight). The point is not that you don't like guys, but you like men who are masculine or are not outwardly of the gay stereotypes.

I'd apply that to myself, and I prefer that same quality in the men I like. Feminine gays are a major bonerkiller, though they make hilarious friends.

Kyon

Banned
Marius_ said:
oh haha, then I guess I used that term wrong back in my closet days, oops. Google say straight-acting = masculine. Although I did had to act masculine to pull off my facade, so maybe not.

How was that experience? did you not tell even one person? :(

Zephyrfate said:
straight-acting is a response to the perceived 'majority' gay personality, which is the feminine, flamboyant types. however, that term is a bit loaded as straight guys seem gayer than gay guys nowadays what with metrosexuality becoming prevalent.

the point is that a 'masculine' gay guy is less likely to be perceived as gay than their feminine counterpart (that is why the phrase is commonly 'straight-acting', in that everyone thinks you're straight). The point is not that you don't like guys, but you like men who are masculine or are not outwardly of the gay stereotypes.

I'd apply that to myself, and I prefer that same quality in the men I like. Feminine gays are a major bonerkiller, though they make hilarious friends.

oh ok :) thank you for the insightful post.

Marius_ said:
Acting masculine is not a facade to keep people from thinking you're gay. You can be gay and masculine.

ZephyrFate said:
Acting masculine is not a facade to keep people from thinking you're gay. You can be gay and masculine.

Masculine and feminine are kind of becoming antiquated notions anyway, since they're loaded terms that don't do individuals any favors. Not to mention a bunch more favorable traits are considered to be "masculine."

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Kyon said:
How was that experience? did you not tell even one person? :(
nope, sad times but in the past

ZephyrFate said:

I know that, but I'm not the masculine type so I saw it as a better alternative for hiding

wenis

Devolution said:
Masculine and feminine are kind of becoming antiquated notions anyway, since they're loaded terms that don't do individuals any favors. Not to mention a bunch more favorable traits are considered to be "masculine."

I'm quite Femuline myself...

Kyon

Banned
There is such hate between "masc. and feminine" in the gay community, even with lesbians. i just wish people got along :/

Kyon said:
There is such hate between "masc. and feminine" in the gay community, even with lesbians. i just wish people got along :/
I think there'd be less conflict if all shades of the gay community were represented in the media and not just predominantly the feminine gays.

G-Fex

Devolution said:
Pics or it didn't happen.

kmeLs.jpg

there's my arm, not exactly white.

I don't take pictures of myself, ever so that's as close as you'll get to seeing me.

I'm 6'3 btw

Kyon

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
I think there'd be less conflict if all shades of the gay community were represented in the media and not just predominantly the feminine gays.

:O oh. hmmm How about Max from Happy Endings? or Luke and Noah/Reid from As the World Turns, Oliver and Fish from One Life to Live, Teddy from 90210, Blaine from Glee. They arent "stereotypical". Is that what you mean?

Devolution said:
For me yeah. I'm only 5'4/5'5.
Funny, I figured that you'd be taller from seeing you in the chat. But that's what a tiny window will get me, I suppose.

G-Fex said:
http://i.imgur.com/kmeLs.jpg[IMG]

there's my arm, not exactly white.

I don't take pictures of myself, ever so that's as close as you'll get to seeing me.

I'm 6'3 btw[/quote]
Pfft, I'm darker than that. But since I'm Mexican/Native-American, it's expected.

You're taller, though. Enjoy getting slapped by ceiling fans, jerk. >:(

[QUOTE=G-Fex]half native american half mexican.[/QUOTE]
OH WHAT THE FUCK

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Kyon said:
:O oh. hmmm How about Max from Happy Endings? or Luke and Noah/Reid from As the World Turns, Oliver and Fish from One Life to Live, Teddy from 90210, Blaine from Glee. They arent "stereotypical". Is that what you mean?

True. But most of their work gets ruined with characters like
kurt-hummel-profile.jpg

G-Fex

Professor Beef said:
Funny, I figured that you'd be taller from seeing you in the chat. But that's what a tiny window will get me, I suppose.

Pfft, I'm darker than that. But since I'm Mexican/Native-American, it's expected.

You're taller, though. Enjoy getting slapped by ceiling fans, jerk. :mad:

OH WHAT THE FUCK

Ha! Awkward

Kyon

Banned
:O lol i blame Ryan Murphy though if thats the case. He's been doing the "stereotype" thing since Nip/Tuck

BTW Kurt is just brilliant lol

Kyon said:
:O lol i blame Ryan Murphy though if thats the case. He's been doing the "stereotype" thing since Nip/Tuck

BTW Kurt is just brilliant lol
I know about all the characters you mentioned, and while I love them, neither Blaine nor Kurt deserve to be in their company. Blaine is written as a gay man's FANTASY, not a REAL gay man; Kurt is written to get away with ANYTHING and be as douchebaggy as he fucking wants because he's gay (his femininity is not the issue here).

The general rule is you have more characters like Kurt in the media and they do not represent all of us or even a majority of us. Characters like Max Blum, though? Fucking awesome and we need more of them.

Kyon

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
I know about all the characters you mentioned, and while I love them, neither Blaine nor Kurt deserve to be in their company. Blaine is written as a gay man's FANTASY, not a REAL gay man; Kurt is written to get away with ANYTHING and be as douchebaggy as he fucking wants because he's gay (his femininity is not the issue here).

The general rule is you have more characters like Kurt in the media and they do not represent all of us or even a majority of us. Characters like Max Blum, though? Fucking awesome and we need more of them.

i see your point :) also sometimes with these shows they make the gay characters just for the ratings then when the hype dies down they kill them off :< it almost always happens.

I've been called gorgeous by numerous women before, but never beautiful. If a girl ever called me beautiful to my face, I'd probably try not to laugh.

wenis

nevermind, im crazy...

I wish a woman would call me beautiful...that would be interesting.

I'm not sure beautiful is the right word to use when describing a guy... only time I have seen it done was in Twilight.. so...

Cheska said:
+1. I'm only 5'1, but I always seem to date guys that are almost a foot taller than me. Love eeettt!

but kissing is super awkward. (I'm 5'2, and my bf is 6'4ish :s )

Cheska

shanshan310 said:
but kissing is super awkward.
I don't know, it's never been a problem. I've been with my current boyfriend for over four years, and he's around 6'0, and it's always been really natural.

wenis

shanshan310 said:
I'm not sure beautiful is the right word to use when describing a guy... only time I have seen it done was in Twilight.. so...

but kissing is super awkward. (I'm 5'2, and my bf is 6'4ish :s )

that's why I said it would be interesting ;)

also, kissing short women is so funny. I'm 6'1 so most of my past relationships have been with shorter partners (only one woman has actually been close enough to the same height...alot of short dudes though, not sure how that figured in), but yeah, I liked kissing them, never awkward. I especially liked it when they would jump on me like a front facing koala and smooched like that...

oh how I miss being in a relationship. :/ bummer.

shanshan310 said:
I'm not sure beautiful is the right word to use when describing a guy...

That's why a person says "a beautiful man", instead of just beautiful. The word beautiful has developed some extraneous connotations, so it does sound a bit strange without the added specificity.

Like NEOPARADIGM said, since it's less ordinary it tends to make for a bigger compliment imo.

Speaking of dark, I need to get a tan.

And more viable abs *shakes fist*

My GFs bday is at the end of the month and I need to start shopping for gifts for her. I did my best to keep a mental note of all the various things she mentioned this year. I like shopping for gifts and making various connections about what she talked about. Last year, she mentioned that she never saw the Power Rangers movie when she was younger because her friends saw it without her. So I bought the movie and we watched it together. Stuff like that.

ZephyrFate said:

Max is just as much of a fairytale as Blaine.

I swoon over them both, but they are both really just escapist fantasies with no basis in reality. Might as well be unicorns or elves.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
FallingEdge said:
Speaking of dark, I need to get a tan.

tans are overrated!

when i think "tall, dark, and handsome" i think more along the lines of dark hair and eyes, not necessarily dark skin.

G-Fex

cloudwalking said:
tans are overrated!

when i think "tall, dark, and handsome" i think more along the lines of dark hair and eyes, not necessarily dark skin.

That's cool I have black hair and brown eyes, done and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom