• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boy-Age: Because boys will be cute and silly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emonga said:
Max is just as much of a fairytale as Blaine.

I swoon over them both, but they are both really just escapist fantasies with no basis in reality. Might as well be unicorns or elves.
The fuck are you talking about? How is Max a "fairytale"? He's a down-to-earth dude who likes drinking beer, watching football games, being a douche, et. al., and just so happens to like guys. He also, unlike Blaine WHATSOEVER, has very strong flaws.

Blaine is DEFINITELY the fantasy here, because men like Max DO exist. Hell, the character is based off the main creator's friend.

btkadams said:
i don't understand how Blaine is a fairytale. he seems pretty normal to me. i don't know this Max person.
He is literally the 'perfect gay man'. He can sing, he has good fashion sense, he's hot as fuck, he's caring, sensitive, has no flaws, and is willing to deal with all of Kurt's issues without so much as a whiff of contradiction.

The fact that he's a character with no flaws while simultaneously being gay makes him a gay man's fantasy.

He's better off in a soap opera.

G-Fex

Professor Beef said:
Did you compare yourself with my photos in the "post pics of yourself" thread?

I didn't see your photos no

edit: yeah you look alright I'm right though, I am hideous.

Kyon

Banned
Can we discuss the amount of shirtless pictures on these profiles on dating/social sites? It's nice to see, but it's like some guys think they have to do it because it's what everyone else is doing. I find it intriguing

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Kyon said:
Can we discuss the amount of shirtless pictures on these profiles on dating/social sites? It's nice to see, but it's like some guys think they have to do it because it's what everyone else is doing. I find it intriguing
Dating sites are like fishing, a nice six pack or muscle tone are great lures that get the most nibble

Kyon

Banned
Marius_ said:
Dating sites are like fishing, a nice six pack or muscle tone are great lures that get the most nibble
XD They are networking Gods. The Master Race in which we all worship the alter of hot abs

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Professor Beef said:
Did you compare yourself with my photos in the "post pics of yourself" thread?

When was this before I go dive through a mess of pictures.

TheSeks

Professor Beef said:
In SF State, yeah.

Yeah. Sems us white guys are like a bigfoot spotting at tournaments for fighting games. But shootan games? We're there in droves. :lol

Meanwhile: You should take pictures of _Isaac and send them to me. :3 Covertly, of course.

TheSeks said:
Yeah. Sems us white guys are like a bigfoot spotting at tournaments for fighting games. But shootan games? We're there in droves. :lol

Meanwhile: You should take pictures of _Isaac and send them to me. :3 Covertly, of course.
Does he go to SF State? Either way, I live in Sacramento now, so it's not like I'm gonna have a chance to just sneak up and go "SEKS SEZ HI" *snap*

TheSeks

Professor Beef said:
so it's not like I'm gonna have a chance to just sneak up and go "SEKS SEZ HI" *snap*

I said covertly, not surprise. >:|

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Alcoori said:
Yes 5 years ago.
okay-face.jpg

Alcoori

Wait, are we talking pink shirt or pink polo shirt? What kind of pink?

I was just being facetious, pink is as good of a colour as any other one. However there is a very fine line between looking good and outright horrible and most people cross it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Chuck said:
Light pink? Sure. For both polos and business shirts. No pink graphic tees (hell, no graphic tees at all) and no popped collars. Try to stay away from darker shades of pink/salmon.
Damn, really? I've got a semi-dark pink polo that I like to wear casually.

The_Technomancer said:
Damn, really? I've got a semi-dark pink polo that I like to wear casually.
I'm not judging, just not my style. Pink pink (in your face pink) is what I meant to avoid. I try not to go pinker than that pic I posted, personally.

SolKane

So how does "Boy-Age" feel about the ubiquity of words like bitch, slut, whore, etc. in internet discussions, particularly on NeoGAF? I recently compiled some data on use of the word "bitch" specifically in the Girl/Dating-Age thread, counting both unique instances and cumulative instances (which includes quoting of the word). I counted every use of the word, from its general pejorative sense ("bitch" = unruly woman), to more modern uses, such as "bitch" = weak, complacent man or "bitch" as a verb, e.g. "Quit bitching about such and such." I was essentially looking for frequency of use in that thread, which I expected, given not only the content of the thread but also its collective male authorship, to be likely higher than average use.

These are the statistics I came up with, using 100 pages per post format:

239 unique instances of "bitch"
387 cumulative instances of "bitch"
Average of 3 instances per page
Total of 29 pages with no instance of "bitch," approximately 22% of page total, giving 78% which contain at least one instance
Greatest number of instances on a page was 18​

I also grabbed some quotations I thought were particularly revealing about the use of the word "bitch" (which became cumbersome after a while, because there were so many). These reflect not the variation in use of "bitch" (which we can always discuss), but what I think is the normative, pejorative use of the word:

bdizzle said:
I just went there to get my laptop looked at and there were all types of bitches in there. All shapes, sizes, flavors, everything.

-PXG- said:
Kind of nervous. I haven't heard from my date, and she's supposed to come over tomorrow. Bitch better not have gotten cold feet. If she did, oh well, fuck it. Sure, I will be annoyed, but I was looking forward to cooking her ass some good food, and cuddling with her.

(Just want to point out that -PXG- is actually the OP of the thread).

DualShadow said:
Yeah I hate when bitches run away during a date :lol

dr3upmushroom said:
So I'm driving back up, all while listening to Nas and Doom, and half way on my drive I think "Alright fuck thinking like a bitch" and I begin to think to myself "go to starbucks and you'll meet up with someone there for sure, just think positive"

-PXG- said:
Over time, we learn from our successes, as well as our fuck ups, and hone our craft. That's what makes you a fucking man: Being proud of yourself, being confident and stopping at nothing to get what you want. Money, bitches, power. Whatever.

Solideliquid said:
Oh well dudes. Keep chatting up those bitches and ask them out.

bdizzle said:
This chick I met invited me over to her crib to drink. Bitch was beautiful cant front but she was on some bullshit. I get there and shorty got mad people over. I'm thinking WTF is this bullshit? I went thinking I was gonna get some ass and ended up leaving with my dick dry.

I shoulda known better, never go to a broads crib unless you know it's gonna be just the 2 of you. There was way too many dudes there this bitch was hugging up on and shit. Chicks usually do that when they're attention whoring, but she might just have been having party, who knows. I'm gonna give her a call prolly Saturday and see if she down to fuck. If not, shorty can kick rocks. I got other bitches on deck I'm trying to penetrate.

(Three instances in one post)

Aesius said:
Met a smoking hottie on PoF. Gorgeous 20 year old redhead. 5'2" with an amazing thin body. She "Wants to Meet Me", and gave me her number after 3 messages. Great, right?

Well, the bitch writes like a fucking idiot. I actually called her out on it because it was so annoying, and she told me that she cannot spell.

And I could go on and on. Now, I think there's a time and a place to use the word "bitch," but I'm curious to how you all feel about it. It seems like in these instance it's just getting thrown around, and I find it belies a lack of respect for women as much as it does an emotional immaturity on the speaker's behalf. People may defend these uses by claiming that a woman's behavior can constitute a certain labeling, but the instances I cite can't be approached with that kind of framework. I think they represent a broader, anti-feminist current of thought that you will find throughout contemporary, especially internet discourse.

What do you think this kind of language suggests about people (men in particular, though we have to consider that women use the word at least as much as men)? What does it inform us about the dating world or male-female social relations? What does it mean that "bitch" can be used so nonchalantly and in so many ways?

vordhosbn

Banned
SolKane said:
So how does "Boy-Age" feel about the ubiquity of words like bitch, slut, whore, etc. in internet discussions, particularly on NeoGAF? I recently compiled some data on use of the word "bitch" specifically in the Girl/Dating-Age thread, counting both unique instances and cumulative instances (which includes quoting of the word). I counted every use of the word, from its general pejorative sense ("bitch" = unruly woman), to more modern uses, such as "bitch" = weak, complacent man or "bitch" as a verb, e.g. "Quit bitching about such and such." I was essentially looking for frequency of use in that thread, which I expected, given not only the content of the thread but also its collective male authorship, to be likely higher than average use.

These are the statistics I came up with, using 100 pages per post format:

239 unique instances of "bitch"
387 cumulative instances of "bitch"
Average of 3 instances per page
Total of 29 pages with no instance of "bitch," approximately 22% of page total, giving 78% which contain at least one instance
Greatest number of instances on a page was 18​

I also grabbed some quotations I thought were particularly revealing about the use of the word "bitch" (which became cumbersome after a while, because there were so many). These reflect not the variation in use of "bitch" (which we can always discuss), but what I think is the normative, pejorative use of the word:

(Just want to point out that -PXG- is actually the OP of the thread).

(Three instances in one post)

And I could go on and on. Now, I think there's a time and a place to use the word "bitch," but I'm curious to how you all feel about it. It seems like in these instance it's just getting thrown around, and I find it belies a lack of respect for women as much as it does an emotional immaturity on the speaker's behalf. People may defend these uses by claiming that a woman's behavior can constitute a certain labeling, but the instances I cite can't be approached with that kind of framework. I think they represent a broader, anti-feminist current of thought that you will find throughout contemporary, especially internet discourse.

What do you think this kind of language suggests about people (men in particular, though we have to consider that women use the word at least as much as men)? What does it inform us about the dating world or male-female social relations? What does it mean that "bitch" can be used so nonchalantly and in so many ways?
Stop being a little bitch.

No seriously, I've heard women use the word bitch in any context more than men. Do you also believe Gaffers are anti-male because they use dick casually? This is why we can't have nice things.

Bitching is alright for the most part.
Calling someone a bitch, however, is pretty stupid.

I try to avoid calling people overly derogative (screw you auto spell check, it's a word!) words period, regardless of sex, and some words are just completely taboo.

SolKane

vordhosbn said:
Stop being a little bitch.

No seriously, I've heard women use the word bitch in any context more than men. Do you also believe Gaffers are anti-male because they use dick casually? This is why we can't have nice things.

Pretty rich coming from the guy who posted this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434336

And I don't think "dick" has near enough the power or range of use that "bitch" has. When's the last time someone casually referred to a man as a "dick" the same way "bitch" can be used categorically to refer to all women?

Devolution said:
Calling someone a pussy actually annoys me more. Or talking about the modern male as a "pussification" of previous generations.

What do you think about "bitch" being used to signify a weak man, since that's a kind of similar application? (I guess the difference is that "bitch" doesn't refer to female genitals)

SolKane said:
What do you think about "bitch" being used to signify a weak man, since that's a kind of similar application? (I guess the difference is that "bitch" doesn't refer to female genitals)

That's annoying too. But I've given up most pretenses of caring out loud much anymore since it nets a person more grief.

vordhosbn

Banned
SolKane said:
Pretty rich coming from the guy who posted this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434336
What's that supposed to prove? Most people who read that thread agreed with the OP. This has nothing to do with your bitching about inane things.

And I don't think "dick" has near enough the power or range of use that "bitch" has. When's the last time someone casually referred to a man as a "dick" the same way "bitch" can be used categorically to refer to all women?
If you look at mainstream media 'bitch' is becoming more acceptable to use. Even guys are called 'bitches' both in daily life and on GAF. On the other hand how many women do you know that are subjected to being called a 'dick' or 'pig'?

If there's a uniquely gendered slur it definitely isn't 'bitch'. Find something real to complain about.

SolKane

vordhosbn said:
What's that supposed to prove? Most people who read that thread agreed with the OP. This has nothing to do with your bitching about inane things.

If you look at mainstream media 'bitch' is becoming more acceptable to use. Even guys are called 'bitches' both in daily life and on GAF. On the other hand how many women do you know that are subjected to being called a 'dick' or 'pig'?

If there's a uniquely gendered slur it definitely isn't 'bitch'. Find something real to complain about.

It's not a complaint post, it's a discussion post. I wanted to encourage discussion and see how people felt. I expected a lot of resistance since most people can't think critically about their language use, particularly related to social meanings.

I think you have misinterpreted my post about how bitch is used. Consider the following example pair:

"Women love money."
"Bitches [women] love money."

"Men love money."
"Dicks [men] love money."

Which would be more appropriately considered synonymous usages, i.e., which pejoratives could be inferred as referring to categorical genders? The answer is obvious, the first pair, since we see this use all the time. The difference is that "dick" refers only to a kind of behavior, not some intrinsic quality in males the way "bitch" does in females. And you said it yourself that "bitch" is used more often and in more contexts than "dick." That's correct, but you have made an incorrect conclusion, which is because it can be used for both men and women it does not suggest anti-feminist thinking. But we also have to look at other derogatory words that refer to women - "cunt," and "pussy" for instance. These words can also be applied to men, the same thing as "bitch." Now why is these words can be applied to men, but words exclusive to men are rarely applied toward women? This is where we need to be critical; you write "bitch" is not a uniquely gendered slur, which, if you read my post, you would see that I never said or implied such. The reason we see this kind of double use for these words, is the sexist implication that for a man to be called a woman it is an insult, but in the other way around there is no harm. This is clearly a sexist mode of thinking, which paints that which we regard as "feminine" as inherently weaker, while whatever is "masculine" is stronger, albeit degraded by associations with the feminine. That's why calling a woman a "dick" will never have the prevalance of calling a man a "pussy," because there's no force or power behind it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
SolKane said:
Huh? I would disagree, I hear "so and so is being a dick" or "way to be a dick man" all the time. Its the new jerk, in my experience.

Chiave

I agree with your analysis SollKane. "Dyke" for instance wouldn't be degrading for a male but would be for a female.

SolKane

The_Technomancer said:
Huh? I would disagree, I hear "so and so is being a dick" or "way to be a dick man" all the time. Its the new jerk, in my experience.

Those are not categorical uses, those are descriptions of specific behavior. See above. If I used "dick" generally you could not infer I was referring to some subset of men other than those who "act like dicks." If I use "bitch" generally you can infer I am referring to some subset of women including or greater than those who "act like bitches."

If I told you I have a date with "some bitch" could you reasonably infer I'm going on a date with a woman who engages in bitchy (i.e. negative) behavior, as well as that I'm going on a date with some woman, who may or may not be of the same character? I would argue both would be understandable, depending on context.

Now if I said the same about "some dick" could you infer that I mean some man in general, or a specific kind of man who engages in dickish (i.e. negative) behavior? I would argue it means only the latter. But bear in mind this does not preclude calling a woman a dick - the larger point is that categorical use (i.e. grouping behavior based on one trait, in this instance, being a woman) is only ever used for "bitch."

Edit: Better yet, look at my original post, and substitute "dick" for every instance of "bitch" and see how much sense that makes.

I just went there to get my laptop looked at and there were all types of bitches in there. All shapes, sizes, flavors, everything.

VS

I just went there to get my laptop looked at and there were all types of dicks in there. All shapes, sizes, flavors, everything.

See any difference?

SolKane

There are some parallels, too, between how "bitch" is used as a pejorative and how "faggot" is used as a pejorative. Since Boy-Age also represents our gay male Gafers as well as straight females, there is avenue for that kind of discussion as well. For instance we see that "faggot" is used as an insult to demean men, the same way "bitch" is used, to suggest something feminine or weak about their character. Obviously "faggot" is not tolerated on these boards the way "bitch" is, and they are varied in their uses in several other ways, but I'm mostly raising this point to counter the earlier assumption that "variance in use" somehow suggests a benignity in the word's meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom