• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Header:

bannerdefault.jpg

What is Braid?

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/b/braidxboxlivearcade/default.htm
Braid is a puzzle-platformer, drawn in a painterly style, where the player manipulates the flow of time in strange and unusual ways. From a house in the city, journey to a series of worlds and solve puzzles to rescue an abducted princess. In each world, you have a different power to affect the way time behaves, and it is time's strangeness that creates the puzzles. The time behaviors include: the ability to rewind, objects that are immune to being rewound, time that is tied to space, parallel realities, time dilation, and perhaps more. Braid treats your time and attention as precious; there is no filler in this game. Every puzzle shows you something new and interesting about the game world.

* Forgiving yet challenging gameplay: Braid is a 2-D platform game where you can never die and never lose. Despite this, Braid is challenging—but the challenge is about solving puzzles, rather than forcing you to replay tricky jumps.
* Rich puzzle environment: Travel through a series of worlds searching for puzzle pieces, then solving puzzles by manipulating time: rewinding, creating parallel universes, setting up pockets of dilated time. The gameplay feels fresh and new; the puzzles are meant to inspire new ways of thinking.
* Aesthetic design: A painterly art style and lush, organic soundtrack complement the unique gameplay.
* Nonlinear story: A nonlinear fiction links the various worlds and provides real-world metaphors for your time manipulations; in turn, your time manipulations are projections of the real-world themes into playful "what-if" universes where consequences can be explored.
* Nonlinear gameplay: The game doesn't force you to solve puzzles in order to proceed. If you can't figure something out, just play onward and return to that puzzle later.

Release Date and Price:

Just a tiny while ago, Microsoft dropped an Xbox Live Arcade OMG MEGATON bomb by announcing the release dates for all upcoming XBLA games through the end of August, including The Behemoths' Castle Crashers. Just to get it out of the way, Castle Crashers will be available for purchase starting Wednesday, August 27th. It's still a month away, but we can still express our over-enthusiastic enthusiasm ... OMG MEGATON JOY! You can view the complete and golden delicious August XBLA release schedule below as well as screenshots after the break.

Also, be aware that Microsoft will be sponsoring a "Summer of Arcade" giveaway all August long and awarding hundreds of thousands of Microsoft points to gamers who try the new XBLA lineup. Castle Crashers. August 27th. Need we say more?

* July 30th - Geometry Wars Retro Evolved 2
* August 6th - Braid
* August 13th - Bionic Commando: Rearmed
* August 20th - Galaga Legions
* August 27th - Castle Crashers

Well, it is official, Braid is 1200 Points

Manipulate time in Braid, coming to Xbox LIVE Arcade this Wednesday!

Named Best Xbox LIVE Arcade Game and Best Overall Puzzle Game by IGN at E3 2008, “Braid,” is coming to Xbox LIVE Arcade this Wednesday, August 6, 2008 at 9 a.m. GMT (2:00 a.m. PDT).

From acclaimed independent developer Jonathan Blow, “Braid” is an artful puzzle-platformer where challenging, yet accessible puzzles are solved by manipulating time. From your house in the city, journey to a series of worlds solving puzzles that will help you rescue an abducted princess. Time behaves differently in each world, and every puzzle shows you something different about the world. The time behaviors include rewinding, independent time streams, time that is tied to space, parallel realities, time dilation, and perhaps more.

Developed by Number None, Inc., and published by Microsoft, “Braid” will be available for 1200 Microsoft Points worldwide and is rated E 10+ for Everyone over the age of 10 by the ESRB.

For more details on “Braid” please visit http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/b/braidxboxlivearcade/.

Braid PC Release Date and Locations:

http://braid-game.com/news/?p=542

Braid release date slightly delayed. (And other info).

The good news is, Braid is coming out soon! The bad news is, I am delaying it slightly, til April 10th.

The delay is just to fix some problems that came up in testing with various versions of Windows.

So far the game is planned for release on Steam, Greenhouse, Impulse, and GamersGate. If I have some more time to do the appropriate discussions, it may appear in one or two other places.

Also, we have a special surprise planned concerning the music in Braid.

So, sorry for the delay, I know folks have been waiting a long time for the PC version and it’s not so great to have to wait an extra 10 days, but it’s only so that I can try to ship you guys a version that works well (which frankly is impossible in Windows, but the best I can do is make it work for most people most of the time).

[Edit: This post incorrectly listed the new date as August 10th. It is April 10th.]

Braid PC Pricing:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/02/19/jonathan-blow-lowers-braid-pc-price/1

Jonathan Blow lowers Braid PC price
Author: Joe Martin
Published: 19th February 2009
Comments (6) Email to a friend Stumble
Jonathan Blow lowers Braid PC price

Jonathan Blow has lowered the price of Braid on the PC, saying the console version was profitable enough.
Just yesterday Stardock and Jonathon Blow confirmed that the PC version of XBLA indie puzzler Braid would be priced at $19.95 USD on Stardock's Impulse platform. Now though the developer has stepped in and lowered the price to $14.95.

What's more, Blow has confirmed that the game won't be an Impulse exclusive either. He's apparently signed it with two other online distributors who just haven't announced the release yet. He isn't confirming anything, but the smart money is on those platforms being Valve's Steam and Penny Arcade's Greenhouse.

According to Blow though, the reason that he's lowered the price (a decision that Stardock at least has immediately honoured) is because he just doesn't care about that extra $5 and doesn't want it to be a barrier to potential players.

"I don't care that much about the PC release price," Blow said on his official blog, rather candidly. "The XBLA version was nicely profitable, and my goal with the PC release is mainly to get the game out to a wider audience."

"Sure, it would be nice to earn the optimal amount of money from that release - I have interesting ideas for games that I want to make in the future, and making games is very expensive, and I will probably have to hire people to help! But ultimately, I would rather have people talking about the game itself, what they like and dislike about it, than about how many American Fiat Currency Dollars it costs," Blow continued.

Well, Blow's definitely got part of his wish already as we've been raving about it ever since the Xbox 360 release. Check the full Braid review and Joe's extended ramblings to see why we think it was one of the best gaming moments of 2008, then let us know your thoughts in the forums.

Braid PC System Reqiurements

http://www.neoseeker.com/Games/Products/PC/braid/

Hardware Requirements
* Windows XP/Vista
* Internet Explorer 7.0
* Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0
* Athlon/Pentium III (1GHz or higher)
* 512MB RAM
* 1GB HD space recommended

Braid Coming to the Macintosh

http://www.hotheadgames.com/blog/?p=104

Spreading Some Indie Love

It’s a great time to be an indie game developer. So many cool games are coming out these days, made by small groups of passionate game creators that decided to quit their day jobs and turn their game-making dreams into a reality. What has emerged is a thriving community of indie game developers that are realizing game play experiences that have never been seen before. We’re just thrilled to be a part of it.

We just announced our first indie partnerships: we’re working with Jonathan Blow the creator of Braid to bring his game to the Mac. And we’re working with the folks over at Twisted Pixel to bring their game The Maw to online services like Greenhouse.

We’ll also be actively participating in upcoming shows that revolve around the emerging indie space in video games. We’re conducting a panel on how to be successful making indie video games at the indie juggernaut South by Southwest. We will also be speaking at the Independent Game Summit at this year’s Game Developer Conference, where we’ll talk about some of the lessons we learned (including the ones that came the hard way) over the last three years since Hothead got started.

Screenshots:

trial_mode.jpg

leaping.jpg

jumpman.jpg

title.jpg

text.jpg

fleeing.jpg

caption.jpg

braid6.jpg

another_castle.jpg

braid5.jpg

braid4.jpg

braid3.jpg

braid2.jpg

braid1.jpg

Video:

Gamespot

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/braid/media.html?sid=6194163&autoplay=6194163

Gametrailers

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/121382.html

Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSuEtwRpdMM

Previews:

DarkZero

http://darkzero.co.uk/game-articles/braid-xbox-live-arcade-pc/

IGN XBLA

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/891/891376p1.html

Talk Xbox

http://www.talkxbox.com/preview1259.html

1UP.com

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3166184

Achievements:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/achievements.php?gameID=634

Taversed World 2 10
Travel all the way across World 2.

Traversed World 3 10
Travel all the way across World 3.

Traversed World 4 10
Travel all the way across World 4.

Traversed World 5 10
Travel all the way across World 5.

Traversed World 6 10
Travel all the way across World 6.

Solved World 2 15
Fit together all the world 2 puzzle pieces and align the puzzle in its frame.

Solved World 3 15
Fit together all the world 3 puzzle pieces and align the puzzle in its frame.

Solved World 4 15
Fit together all the world 4 puzzle pieces and align the puzzle in its frame.

Solved World 5 15
Fit together all the world 5 puzzle pieces and align the puzzle in its frame.

Solved World 6 15
Fit together all the world 6 puzzle pieces and align the puzzle in its frame.

Closure 60
Complete the game.

Speed Run 15
Complete a full speed run of the entire game, beating the challenge time.

Reviews:

IGN XBLA Reviews Braid:

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/896/896371p1.html

8.8, Great

Eurogamer

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=205102

10/10, Virtual Perfection

I'm all for 2d platforming. The demo will do a lot for this game I think.

I expect this to be very popular on GAF. It's almost like someone made a game just for us.

Ravidrath

I dunno, I'll probably pick this up.

That said, as interesting as the overall concept for the game is, the primary mechanic (as I understand it) is so pervasive I worry that it'll make playing the game feel labored... but we'll see. Mr. Blow seems like a pretty perspicacious guy and likely picked up on that.

Zoe

I got all excited seeing the first half of the title (something I've been wanting to see in a game for a while), but looking at the screenshots, I don't think they quite managed to pull it off.

The art still looks interesting though.

Gowans

Will be all over this as I've been waiting for a more 'traditional' style platformer for XBLA for a while now.

(N+ is the purest platformer I think I've played tho)

I'm I right in remembering Braid is going to use a few different gameplay elements for stages like a time echoed character etc?

hc2

Next gen, epic, awesome, HD, core, casual, etc, etc :lol

Seems like it will be a fun game to relax with, I know us older folks will enjoy it and the younger ones as well. It is nice to see something being received so well from a smaller developer.

Cdammen

Summer of AWESOME said:
* July 30th - Geometry Wars Retro Evolved 2
* August 6th - Braid
* August 13th - Bionic Commando: Rearmed
* August 20th - Galaga Legions
* August 27th - Castle Crashers
Holy shit! :D

arne

Let me voice a hearty recommendation for this game. Very fun and challenging, the visuals are amazing and I really like what they're trying to do here.

Walshicus

Eric WK said:
Looks incredible. My second most anticipated game of the summer releases. Can't wait.
I think your avatar is awesome. Edit: Just noticed you got it toward the end of the page.

Maybe I'll buy this game. That would be great.

Amir0x

Banned
I would definitely hit it. Most definitely.

Edit: Although the dev is a bit too proud of a copied Prince of Persia: Sands of Time mechanic in the walkthrough :p

Baker

Banned
That is what it looks like?

The only gameplay I saw was on G4 or something and it looked like complete ass. I'm glad it was just the cable feed.

maxax

Normally I'm a sucker for unique visuals in games, but this does nothing for me. I don't like it at all. If the reviews are good, maybe..

maxax said:
Normally I'm a sucker for unique visuals in games, but this does nothing for me. I don't like it at all. If the reviews are good, maybe..

I like the backgrounds, but I hate the character/enemy design. Also, some of the blocky platforms don't mesh with the artsy style of the game.

yeah i don't mind the backgrounds and environments, but the character visuals look terrible to me. Still you can never get enough platforming these days so i'll give it a whirl.

soldat7

Death_Born said:
Also, some of the blocky platforms don't mesh with the artsy style of the game.

I think that's the point.

David Hellman said:
Tim, is an introspective type who questions the appearance of things, as well as their underlying mechanisms. Braid itself is a series of playful thought experiments: what if the world worked this way? What if time could go backwards? What if there were multiple concurrent realities? Each world Tim travels through presents a different twist on nature's laws. Coming to grips with those laws is the heart of the puzzle-solving.

David Hellman said:
This thoughfulness and harmony between its various aspects is part of what made Braid a really interesting project. Of course, my art was expected to translate the themes into yet another medium. In the case of the "parallel realities" world, I represented the theme by combining luxurious domestic objects (nice furniture and fabrics) with rugged outdoor objects (swampy water, rotting piers and nautical rope). The resuilt is incongruous, but intentionally so! Hopefully players will have two simultaneous reactions – "what a nice ottoman" and "what a yucky swamp" – again reiterating the theme of "splitting", or "staying or going".

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
shidoshi said:
I'm going to try this one out, but good god do I think that art style is freakin' ugly.

This.

Also, just watching the GT video and I'm not really feeling it. I understand and appreciate it, but...eh. I hope the demo is good. :D

GreekWolf

Know I'll get crucified for this, but I honestly cannot understand how anyone can praise the art style of Fat Princess while dismissing Braid. I personally find this title much more aesthetically pleasing.

Eric WK said:
Completely agree. I guess it's just a matter of taste, but I think the art style is fantastic.

It is all up to taste. Personally I'm quite tired of the look of all the trippy/artsy games that have been coming out (GeoWars, Eden, Everyday Shooter, Space Giraffe, etc. etc.) but to me this is something DIFFERENT. A breath of fresh air.

It's not "hip" but it's pleasant to look at. The character designs seem a little uninspired, but I base my game purchases on gameplay first, everything else second.

Zoe

GreekWolf said:
Know I'll get crucified for this, but I honestly cannot understand how anyone can praise the art style of Fat Princess while dismissing Braid. I personally find this title much more aesthetically pleasing.

What? The character designs are completely different. The backgrounds look nothing alike. How can you compare the two?

GreekWolf

Zoe said:
What? The character designs are completely different. The backgrounds look nothing alike. How can you compare the two?
Sorry, I wasn't inferring a similarity between the character designs, but rather the direction both games chose - Braid with its 2D watercolor aesthetics, and Fat Princess with more of a tiled, almost isometric perspective.

I think both games are quite attractive, but I just feel that Braid is less cluttered and more pleasing to the eye.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
GreekWolf said:
Sorry, I wasn't inferring a similarity between the character designs, but rather the direction both games chose - Braid with its 2D watercolor aesthetics, and Fat Princess with more of a tiled, almost isometric perspective.

I think both games are quite attractive, but I just feel that Braid is less cluttered and more pleasing to the eye.

Still. One is a platformer and the other is a team based objection beat em up...thing.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
It is all up to taste. Personally I'm quite tired of the look of all the trippy/artsy games that have been coming out (GeoWars, Eden, Everyday Shooter, Space Giraffe, etc. etc.) but to me this is something DIFFERENT. A breath of fresh air.

It's not "hip" but it's pleasant to look at. The character designs seem a little uninspired, but I base my game purchases on gameplay first, everything else second.
So what you're saying is that you want an "artsy" game that doesn't look like all the other artsy games which happen to look nothing alike and represent a wide variety in visual design?

Top Bottom