• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brand new Cyberpunk 2077 screeshots featuring NvIDIA RTX Raytracing

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I really believe you are going to be disappointed if you are expecting 4k/30 out of the Xbox X with Cyberpunk.
a game this demanding will bring the most powerful PCs to their knees even at 1080p or 1440p nevermind 4K.

i played Witcher 3 at launch with a 290 (recommended AMD GPU) at 1080p a mix of low/high (mostly low) settings with 40-60fps. when i got a 1070 i could play it finally at 1080p 60fps ultra. a 1070 is about on par with a 980 Ti which came out 2 weeks after Witcher 3 launched and it was nvidia's most expensive gaming gpu at the time. the 1070 didn't come out until over a year after Witcher 3 came out. my 2080 (similar to a 1080 Ti) can't even run it at 1440p 60fps ultra without lots of frame drops.

my point is CD Projekt Red games have always been super demanding on PC. their approach is to make the games run on whatever hardware is available at launch but target hardware that might be a year or so away. when Cyberpunk comes out we'll be able to run it on PC but if we want to run at max settings with solid framerate (and now with RTX on) then it's gonna be 1 year at least before there is hardware available that can do it and at an affordable price.

how on this earth they are gonna get the game running on a PS4/XB1 at acceptable levels is beyond me. i wouldn't be surprised if both PS4/XB1 run at 900p 30fps with a mix of low/medium settings. if it comes to next gen consoles then they might be able to run at 1440p 30fps with medium/high settings with VERY VERY minimal raytracing.

Agreed. I think what we've seen of the game is indicative of what we can expect from PS5 and Scarlet ports; especially with the new SSD drives.
SSDs won't make the game look any better. i really really wish people would stop talking about SSD's as if they are a game changer.

yes games will load up faster and textures/models will load faster but that's it. it's not gonna let developers magically increase asset quality, resolution, or framerate.

i've had a NVME drive in my PC for a couple years now and games don't perform any better on it compared to my standard sata3 ssd.

pcie 4.0 nvme ssd's will be serious overkill for gaming. they'll only benefit the use of the OS, loading programs/games, and on PC working with large file sizes (4k/8k/3d video editing for example).

Last edited:

Cosmogony

But will this game ever come out on the Switch? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Never forget.....

JoSXCPZ.gif

But maybe on the Swicth Pro?

:messenger_grinning_smiling:

Just like with TW3 before, this is going to be the game that's gonna make.me save up for a year and get a new build a month before release just so that I can enjoy it to the fullest 😀

Tygeezy

That amazing green tint in the wording.
Yeah yeah, it's "proprietary" I remember.
Unlike that thing supported by Nvidia, you know, the VRR.
It is proprietary though. This article didn’t even mention nvidia and was 100 % about Samsung TVs.

lukilladog

Indeed, Nvidia has been innovating and introducing new technology ever since the early days of hardware 3D acceleration. This is just the latest example.

I´m talking of using technologies that they didn´t invent as a marketing tool, specifically, trying to present them as the second coming of Jesus... they know people can be so gullible, that´s why the ceo lies all the time.

Last edited:
I´m talking of using technologies that they didn´t invent as a marketing tool, specifically, trying to present them as the second coming of Jesus... they know people can be so gullible, that´s why the ceo lies all the time.
You must be mad that AMD hasn't actually funded Radeon Technology Group in nearly a decade. Hard to use a technology of any kind, invented in-house or otherwise, without any actual investment in R&D. But they can keep reheating GCN and pretending it's new again for the 8th time as long as people like you actually believe AMD is some kind of benevolent revolutionary insurgent instead of an ordinary tech company which hit hard times recently and has been using being the underdog as a marketing tool. They know people can be so gullible, that's why they keep pretending they are the plucky underdog when the reality is absolutely the opposite.

lukilladog

You must be mad that AMD hasn't actually funded Radeon Technology Group in nearly a decade. Hard to use a technology of any kind, invented in-house or otherwise, without any actual investment in R&D. But they can keep reheating GCN and pretending it's new again for the 8th time as long as people like you actually believe AMD is some kind of benevolent revolutionary insurgent instead of an ordinary tech company which hit hard times recently and has been using being the underdog as a marketing tool. They know people can be so gullible, that's why they keep pretending they are the plucky underdog when the reality is absolutely the opposite.

That´s a poor assumption, you are thinking like a fanboy. I totally dislike AMD because I think they are playing price/performance fixing games with nvidia in most segments.

mortal

Gold Member
SSDs won't make the game look any better. i really really wish people would stop talking about SSD's as if they are a game changer.

yes games will load up faster and textures/models will load faster but that's it. it's not gonna let developers magically increase asset quality, resolution, or framerate.
Right, that's they I mentioned it. I never implied that SSD will magically do anything.

It's a seamless open world RPG, featuring a huge concentrations of NPCs on the screen at any given point. As well as buildings with multiple levels to explore seamlessly. SSDs will certainly make a difference in a getting that optimal experience compared to what we will end up having on base models. You say that like it's not a plus.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Ray tracing really is something. I thought people were exaggerating and just wanting to complain when a new game doesn’t support it. But I understand now.

GlamFM

Banned
Sorry for being slightly off topic, but do you guys know if there will be a digital deluxe version at some point?

Or is the version that is on PSN right now the definitive digital version?

CyberPanda

Banned

Cyberpunk 2077 uses real-time ray tracing for ambient occlusion and diffused illumination

Earlier this week, we informed you about Cyberpunk 2077 supporting real-time ray tracing effects. And even though NVIDIA did not reveal any additional details, PCGamesN has reported that CD Projekt RED currently uses RTX for ambient occlusion and diffused illumination.

As PCGamesN noted, the ray-traced ambient occlusion solution adds a “little complementary depth to the scene.” Obviously the ray-traced ambient occlusion is better than SSAO, however it remains to be seen whether the difference between HBAO+ and ray-traced AO is that big visually.

On the other hand, diffused illumination is said to be the feature that most gamers will notice when they enable the RTX effects. It is said that this effect accurately portrays the way light reflects from one object and illuminates others around it.

For example, pay close attention to the reflected lights on the floor in the header image. These reflections are calculated via ray tracing and are the highlight (at least for now) for Cyberpunk 2077.

What’s really disappointing here is that these ray tracing effects offer a light improvement to the overall image, at least in the E3 2019 demo that was showcased using them.

As PCGamesN reported:
“But overall the implementation has been a light touch, at least so far in the game’s development. CD Projekt Red has been selective over where and when ray tracing is used, carefully crafting the demo environment to limit its scope.”
Cyberpunk 2077 releases in April 2020 so it will be interesting to see whether CD Projekt RED will decide to go bananas and take advantage of ray tracing (instead of simply using it to add an extra layer of polish).

Armorian

Banned
So GI like metro, the best/most logical use for RT cores so far.

For game set in the future RT used for reflections has far more sense than for WW2 game (lol) so maybe they will add that down the line.

DrownDown

Neo Member

Apple does this, too and look at their success. It's called marketing.

lukilladog

Apple does this, too and look at their success. It's called marketing.

I agree, RTX is marketing. I mean, look the CGI cinematics here, they look better than the in-game rtx gameplay/screen shots despite the traditional screen space reflections and light probe illumination, RT is an obstacle to bring those graphics into actual game play, should be avoided.

Lol at all this resolution speculation. You know the engine is highly scalable...right? The graphical settings aren't cemented in stone. It can run at 1440p, 1800p or even 4k 30 on xbox one x . The only question is how much is cd project looking to compromise on the visuals. My guess is they will want it to look nice. That means a mix of medium and high settings (of course it won't be maxed out/ultra on consoles) at 1800p/30. and maybe 1440p on the ps4 pro. The ps4 could do 1080p, xbox one 900p.

30fps ain't much at all. It's a really low bar to reach.

Last edited:

Cosmogony

The funny thing is you could take a completely rastuerized image and say it was ray traced and nobody could tell otherwise.

Judging by Battlefield, Control and Cyberpunk, I think there's a distinctive overblown look to this first generation of Ray Tracing technologies that's meant to advertise them.

It's hard to miss.

I quite like it, but expect it to improve and become more nuanced once the need to show-off has gone and passed.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Judging by Battlefield, Control and Cyberpunk, I think there's a distinctive overblown look to this first generation of Ray Tracing technologies that's meant to advertise them.

It's hard to miss.

I quite like it, but expect it to improve and become more nuanced once the need to show-off has gone and passed.
I have a 2080 Ti and played Metro Exodus with and without ray tracing. I didn't miss it when I turned it off and loved the additional performance.

Last edited:

GenericUser

I hope the PS5 version will be a launch title for the new console. No way I'm wasting my time with the last gen versions.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Eh, i just hope the non-rtx stuff is gonna be still good and not like some games where devs make the non-rtx stuff looks like utter shit because they have to push this fucking thing...(and i possess a rtx capable gpu...)

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Cool and where is RTX ON/RTX OFF. This tells me absolutely nothing. And some nice AA you have there, almost like a bullshot or some form of downsampling, which probably crush even RTX2080Ti, when RTX on....

psorcerer

Banned
Big game, big tech, raytracing, all hype around it but bogus art design bogus attention to detail characters dont look well designed compared to the cgi trailers, deffinetely dejavu and doesnt look anything next gen to me,

They can bump up all the raytracing tech all the pixels but the shinny lights and the dark robotic and cybepunk atmosphere isnt fooling me, the game looks like a photocopy of deus x only difference is the open world.

Stere

I will wait for the RTX 3070 or 3080, I seriously doubt that the current cards will maintain a steady 60 fps for this game running on ultra settings.

I seriously doubt that the current cards will maintain a steady 60 fps for this game running on ultra settings.

You'd probably be able to do 1080p in High?

(not a PC gamer, by the way, but this sound reasonable to me)

I'm going to get the PS5 enhanced version.

CDPR: We're not doing a version for next-gen machines.

Me: Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

DonJorginho

Banned

There will be a Day One Upgrade Patch, if they are doing that for Xbox Series X then it should be the same for PS5.

They may release a complete edition with some DLC at some point for the next gen but they won't make you pay twice for the game if you buy it on current gen.

Last edited:

Flick

Banned

They already confirmed that Xbox one game version buyers get series x VERSION for FREE, so yeah there will be a nextgen version.

Renozokii

I don´t care, it wont improve the appearance of the game radically and even if I buy an nvidia card to play this game it will run like hot garbage with RT, prices here are crazy so it will have to be something like the 1660:

I DON'T CARE! Wahh!! Then don't use it lmao.

lukilladog

I DON'T CARE! Wahh!! Then don't use it lmao.

But there are people that care and can´t afford these stupid prices. My point is that nvidia injected GFX usually are not worth it because you can have pretty much the same experience without them, or better, because of the higher and smoother frame rates. Don´t let nvidia marketing make you feel like you are missing something important, you´re not.

mortal

Gold Member
Looks great, but how about something new? We've been looking at the same areas and characters since last August.

Last edited:
Looks great, but how about something new? We've been looking at the same areas and characters since last August.
I'm actually ok with it because I'm sort of on a media blackout in that, I don't go out of my way to find info. I watched the snippet that wasn't official storyline progression and what not that was built for demo purposes only and that's it. So getting screens that are from the same areas are fine with me since I prefer to be surprised during gameplay with new environments and such that I've never seen before.

Renozokii

But there are people that care and can´t afford these stupid prices. My point is that nvidia injected GFX usually are not worth it because you can have pretty much the same experience without them, or better, because of the higher and smoother frame rates. Don´t let nvidia marketing make you feel like you are missing something important, you´re not.
Right, so don't use it.

mortal

Gold Member
I'm actually ok with it because I'm sort of on a media blackout in that, I don't go out of my way to find info. I watched the snippet that wasn't official storyline progression and what not that was built for demo purposes only and that's it. So getting screens that are from the same areas are fine with me since I prefer to be surprised during gameplay with new environments and such that I've never seen before.
I'm not. Night City is supposedly huge and very dense, and there's plenty to show.

If someone such as yourself doesn't want to be exposed to anything, they can just not check out anything media by their own volition.

I'm not. Night City is supposedly huge and very dense, and there's plenty to show.

If someone such as yourself doesn't want to be exposed to anything, they can just not check out anything media by their own volition.
I agree with you.

I never understood the weirdo's that like to read the end of books but I'm not going to tell them they can't. :lollipop_wink_tongue:

Top Bottom