• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default: The writer explains the title's meaning

Einbroch

Banned
It's actually not like Infinite Undiscovery. That doesn't make sense. Bravely Default makes total sense. It's just kind of stupid.

Which may actually make it worse. I'd rather have a stupid title that makes no sense than a stupid title that the developers think is clever.

Or something. I don't know. They're all bad, but they're only titles.

scy

I kind of wonder if he stole the title/was inspired for the title by this light novel dialogue that would've come first and he probably read:

(warning has a loli talking)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTzMCwWYr_I

[to summarize, Nisemonogatari light novel series has a dialogue where a character says adding "Courage" (which conveniently is the same word as Brave in Japanese) to a negative action makes it seem positive. Like "the courage to abandon your comrades" and how at first glance it sounds like you did the right thing even though you actually did the wrong thing. "Bravely Default" fits this concept to a t.]

You know, in this view it's really kind of a neat idea if it works well.

So it probably won't.

Truth101

Banned
if you want to be cynical

the optimistic view is that the hero makes a bunch of childish or naive JRPG promises or obligations, and must renege on them once they realize that completing their ultimate goal and fulfilling those obligations are mutually exclusive

You mean that aren't mutually exclusive right?

DSix

Banned
The issue is that the occidental title will be either that or "Final Fantasy Dimensions". But I don't want either.

Instro

That's promising, sounds like he has full control over where the story is going. It certainly seems like it will be a plot with much more depth compared to 4WoL. The story behind the name is a little weird, but as a theme there's a lot that can be done there. He is a writer who has put together some unique narratives in the past so hopefully that is the case here has well.

kuroshiki

Wait, so this has nothing to do with a character filling chapter 11?

I thought this was bankruptcy simulator, which would be actually cool.

Tellaerin

Weird, that sounds kind of cowardly to me. :p

Depends. What if you're obligated to do things for an organization you belong to that you don't feel are right? Or you're in a placed in a position where you hate what you're doing, but feel pressured to keep doing it because you'll be letting down your coworkers/teammates/etc. if you stop?

I don't think the author's pushing a theme like 'being irresponsible is good!' The sense I'm getting is that sometimes it takes strength to put your personal convictions above the obligations imposed on you by society and the people around you.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So the idea is that the character bravely defaults on his or her societal obligations and decides to live for his or herself and travel the world!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It'd have probably been better if he wanted to go with Bravely;Default and they'd stuck to that, but it still doesn't make sense as it is.

Top Bottom