• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Second Review thread (EU)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Reviews embargo is up for EU. Here some Italian links; more will follow.

Hi guys, still no Review topic? EU reviews are up.

This is mine: Wiitalia.it: 8.5/10

"Being a direct sequel it somehow lacks the originality of the first episode, but this is a small insignificant minus compared to the artistic quality and the gameplay balance the developer already found in Bravely Default and that somehow even improved in Bravely Second."

I really liked the game.

Spaziogames.it: 8.5/10

IGN.it: 7.5/10

Everyeye.it: 9/10

This is mine (nice start for a review thread with all italian sites) :

I Love Videogames: 8.5/10

didn't see the Eurogamer one posted yet

"But mostly, though, Bravely Second excels at being a sequel. It's completely accessible, even if you haven't played the predecessor, but it delights in being what it is: a great JRPG."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-18-bravely-second-review

they seemed very taken with it.

8/10 from Metro Gamecentral

http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/25/bravely-second-end-layer-review-final-fantasy-too-5716657/

In Short: Another inspired attempt to modernise old school Japanese role-players, while retaining all the charm and depth of early era Final Fantasies.

Pros: The combat is great and the job system one of the best of any current role-player. Likeable characters, great visuals, and enjoyable side quests.

Cons: The story is still throwaway nonsense and the script isn’t good enough to sell most of the attempts at humour. Confusing terminology and worrying use of microtransactions.

Lucifon

I wasn't too impressed by the demo at all after finishing it. I felt like I was just kind of playing for the sake of it. Found it to be very monotonous, which surprised me given I was a huge huge fan of the first. Just feels like more of the same, which is fine for some, but after 40-50+ hours I think I'm done with that. I was really close to buying the special edition too, really glad I didn't as I don't think I'll be buying it at all anymore.

Hedge

Higher than expected, honestly. I have the CE ordered for the artbook only, but now I'm actually kind of interested in seeing what it can offer gameplay wise.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I wasn't too impressed by the demo at all after finishing it. I felt like I was just kind of playing for the sake of it. Found it to be very monotonous, which surprised me given I was a huge huge fan of the first. Just feels like more of the same, which is fine for some, but after 40-50+ hours I think I'm done with that. I was really close to buying the special edition too, really glad I didn't as I don't think I'll be buying it at all anymore.

well it IS more of the same, I've tried to cover clearly this part in my review. fact is, it's not a disappointing dejavu as the backtracking of the second half of the first game gave me, but a familiar and nostalgic feeling. to me, at least.
plus, it must also be noted that for a direct sequel is pretty normal to follow tha path of the predecessor and many many many games, even AAA games, do that and are still recognized for their values, if they have values. Bravely second has many values, from the artistic supervision, to a very well balanced battle system, and a narrative that starts way better than the first game.

Gambit

Oh really? I had the opposite experience. The demo rekindled my love the job system and the game. The Job System and how you can combine jobs creates that "just one more job level" rush for me.

Also I love all the changes to the battle system. One More Round fights are a great addition. The encounter rate is accessible directly from the map etc.

I am even looking forward to the story.

As long as the battle system and the job system from the previous game are back and maybe even improved from the first, I know I'll enjoy this. Those were what made the first game so fun. More of the same is fine with me in this instance.

redcrayon

I'm really enjoying the demo, for all the first games issues, the battle system of BD is great, as is tailoring a mix of job/support job/support abilities.

Being able to tailor the encounter rate, Brave, Default and the 'bring it on!' Extra xp battles are all excellent mechanics, but I still think you should only be able to turn off encounters completely in the overworld and dungeons you've already beaten. Still, it allows options for removing frustration when the enemies are offering minimal xp, but it does also remove much of the difficulty in a genre where the threat isnt each battle, but the cumulative drain on your resources.

Most of that applies to its predecessor too, but for me just knowing that there isnt the repetition of chapter 5-7 is enough for me to commit to playing BD2. The art and battle/jobs system are great.

well it IS more of the same, I've tried to cover clearly this part in my review. fact is, it's not a disappointing dejavu as the backtracking of the second half of the first game gave me, but a familiar and nostalgic feeling. to me, at least.
plus, it must also be noted that for a direct sequel is pretty normal to follow tha path of the predecessor and many many many games, even AAA games, do that and are still recognized for their values, if they have values. Bravely second has many values, from the artistic supervision, to a very well balanced battle system, and a narrative that starts way better than the first game.
Good to hear, I loved the first so more of the same isn't bad at all.

ZeroX03

Banned
Just like Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, I'm really interested but the backlog is intense.

I'll probably cave and buy on release day.

Lucifon

Oh definitely it is normal for that. But I think after that many hours of a fairly grindy game, I'm done with doing that same thing all over again. From the demo at least it seems to be more of the same, in a new environment, new story, with more jobs. Sounds like quite a few reviews are mentioning that too. Maybe it's more to do with me having less time than 3 and a half years ago, that the prospect of doing the same thing for another 40-50 hours doesn't seem like a good use of time vs other games.

Oh really? I had the opposite experience. The demo rekindled my love the job system and the game. The Job System and how you can combine jobs creates that "just one more job level" rush for me.

Also I love all the changes to the battle system. One More Round fights are a great addition. The encounter rate is accessible directly from the map etc.

I am even looking forward to the story.

On one hand I did quite like the encounter rate changes and the one more round fights for sure. But I felt compelled to play not because I was having fun, but because of the same kind of primitive addiction that a F2P mobile game gives - a large chunk of the combat basically became automated, with me boosting an encounter rate, creating an automated combat style, pretty much automating any actual playing of the game outside of boss fights.

So for someone like me who hasn't played the first game, there seems to be a lot to love about the sequel, given that SE have built on the mechanics and gameplay of the first.

Scores are looking good. I expected them to be much lower based on the import impressions. Seems like I'll keep my pre-order of the special edition.

Scores are looking good. I expected them to be much lower based on the import impressions. Seems like I'll keep my pre-order of the special edition.

after import impressions were off when it came to fire emblems story and xenoblade X i have started to only trust my own opinion lately but i still respect there opinion as everyone's is different

Hmm, I was a bit on the fence before, but now I think I'll actually get it when it comes out, or maybe later if I'm still busy with Super Mystery Dungeon :p

danthefan

As long as the battle system and the job system from the previous game are back and maybe even improved from the first, I know I'll enjoy this. Those were what made the first game so fun. More of the same is fine with me in this instance.

Yeah basically this, I will buy. Have a shit load of traveling to do next month so stocking up on hand held games.

patapuf

More of the same is what i was looking for. I liked the humor in the demo, i hope it goes further in the main game.

Dice//

Banned
Anyone else still brunt out from the first game's Groundhog Day bullshit to be excited for the second one?

after import impressions were off when it came to fire emblems story and xenoblade X i have started to only trust my own opinion lately but i still respect there opinion as everyone's is different

eh i can understand the case with xenoblade x, but with fates story... errr....

True Fire

I really enjoyed Bravely Second. I still haven't finished Bravely Default, but I went through Bravely Second in a weekend.

A lot of import impressions trashed the music and story, but I enjoyed those two things the most. Bravely Second's music doesn't get old quite as fast as BD music (the lack of 4 loops of the same 4 bosses probably helps). And the story was a very clever continuation of the themes in Bravely Default.

patapuf

Anyone else still brunt out from the first game's Groundhog Day bullshit to be excited for the second one?

Luckily i noped out of that before it made me completely hate the game.

and it's been 3 years.. i'm up for a second go around.

RiggyRob

Well technically...
yeah but it's executed much better and you are going to need it if you want all the jobs.

This post made me go from 'tentatively thinking about Bravely Second even though I hated the Bravely Default for its backtracking' to 'wait until it's £15 or less'.

No. It only took a few hours if you didn't mess around to clear those chapters and get to the true ending.
I can understand people are frustrated, but it took me two train commutes to go through it all. It would be even less if someone told you that the sidequests were completely worth glossing over until a certain point.

And that's without considering that you are given many chances to do... something... to change things up, during that time.

They REALLY should have added more meat to those sidequests similar to
chapter 7
, but I'm surprised at the huge burnout people experienced, despite it being thematically relevant to the story.

I'm reticent for this sequel because writer Naotaka Hayashi and Revo aren't returning. Divisive decisions aside, the way the story changed from retro nostalgia to the ecstasy of the true ending really made the game for me.

I still have the CE preordered due to the surprisingly large Akihiko Yoshida artbook.

That's higher than I anticipated. My impressions from early word of mouth was that the game was inferior to the first game, but it seems that its chief weakness is just that it's more of the same?

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm getting excited and will definitely be doing standard edition on launch.

I want the art book but not enough to pay 3x as much. Figure and album meaningless to me.

my review: I want fire emblem fates instead :(

Takes time to do language translations and they likely couldn't start until they had the NA English version to use for the other languages (NOE job listings have shown they sometimes use the NA English as a base). Sucks, but people also complained a fair bit when they ended up doing 2 English translations, which is also a bit wasteful.

Top Bottom