• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Second Review thread (EU)

Famassu

This post made me go from 'tentatively thinking about Bravely Second even though I hated the Bravely Default for its backtracking' to 'wait until it's £15 or less'.
Good luck with that. Don't think Bravely Default ever dropped even near 15£, let alone under it. Unless I've missed some huge deals, I don't think I've ever seen BD much lower than 25£.

heringer

I have a copy of Braverly Default but haven't played it yet. The complaints about the second part kind of turned me off.

ZeroX03

Banned
I have a copy of Braverly Default but haven't played it yet. The complaints about the second part kind of turned me off.

It's literally just a few hours if you power through and don't get sidetracked. "Second half" of the game is very overblown, it's only if you feel the need to do all the side quests it's an issue. It's like 15% of the game, not 50%.

Exentryk

Busy with other games right now, but I'll get around to this eventually. Reviews look good, but they do not affect my decision.

God there is just no discussing BD at all without that subject coming up, huh.

I knew it was coming ahead of time when I was playing and was honestly not bothered by it in the least, got through it all still enjoying myself the whole way. Heck I even kept going long after I should've been done, playing those bonus boss fights and getting those permanent stat boost items for hours.

heringer

It's literally just a few hours if you power through and don't get sidetracked. "Second half" of the game is very overblown, it's only if you feel the need to do all the side quests it's an issue. It's like 15% of the game, not 50%.

Could you please explain to me in a non spoilerish way what exactly is this backtracking part and why is it so bad?

True Fire

That's not bad. After the Japanese launch comments I expected worse.

Japan is a lot harder on JRPGs than the west, I find. Amazon Japan reviews are absolutely brutal.

They're also not really a fan of the "meta" story (keeping it vague to avoid spoilers), while Westerners love subversion. Bravely Second also handled its story/gameplay integration a lot better than Bravely Default.

Xenoblade X had horrific Japanese impressions but the west (generally) seems to like it. It's just different tastes.

I'm curious whether the rest of the game is also longer, or if it's about the same as...what was it, chapters 1-4 of BD?

The game is longer. There is a segment that's similar to what Bravely Default did, but the point is to
do stuff differently the second time around instead of the same thing four times in a row
. Keeping it vague to avoid spoilers. Generally safe to click unless you haven't played Bravely Default.

otakukidd

OK I got to ask. Did no one turn off random encounters for those chapters? Made that entire section like 2 hours.the bosses were the same so 3 of them you were over leveled. You go to dungeon on ship run straight to the boss beat him and go to next dungeon. Takes 10 minutes per dungeon. I'm guessing they made the randem encounter feature for that section in the first place.

ZeroX03

Banned
Could you please explain to me in a non spoilerish way what exactly is this backtracking part and why is it so bad?

Essentially the game state loosely resets and you have to repeat some dungeons and boss battles over and over to continue. Now what you can do at this point is just turn encounters off and blaze through these bosses very quickly as the poster above mentioned, but things like side quests are reset too and made slightly different so people get sidetracked with them and it's not exactly clear what to do. So it can become frustratingly repetitive. But if you go into that part of the game knowing you should just tackle the bosses and ignore everything else it's a two hour process that isn't too bad at all.

heringer

Essentially the game state loosely resets and you have to repeat some dungeons and boss battles over and over to continue. Now what you can do at this point is just turn encounters off and blaze through these bosses very quickly as the poster above mentioned, but things like side quests are reset too and made slightly different so people get sidetracked with them and it's not exactly clear what to do. So it can become frustratingly repetitive. But if you go into that part of the game knowing you should just tackle the bosses and ignore everything else it's a two hour process that isn't too bad at all.

Oh ok, that doesn't sound too bad. Dumb idea, but shouldn't ruin the game.

Chastten

Banned
Pretty good for a lowbudget sequel that was supposed to be very mediocre.

Enjoyed the demo, can't wait to get my CE this week. I'm sure the game won't dissapoint me, I just hope the artbook and figure will be good.

kunonabi

I get the feeling I'll probably like this better than the first one. I'll probably import a Japanese copy when the price falls low enough. Project X Zone 2 and MGSV are going to keep me plenty occupied for quite awhile.

Impulsor

Is it a must to play the first one? Or are stories totally independent, other than knowing the characters from the previous games.

Are there a lot of references?

demonkaze

What are the bonuses that carry over from the demo and is it worth going out of my way to get them? In the middle of Fire Emblem at the moment so don't really want to play through the demo unless necessary.

Is it a must to play the first one? Or are stories totally independent, other than knowing the characters from the previous games.

Are there a lot of references?

The sequel picks up after the ending events of Bravely Default and expands on a pretty major plot point regarding the characters of the first one. I would generally say go for the 1st game, it is a good game despite that one bit that has been overblown by many.

Lol all those obligatory boss battles feel a lot more than 15%.

Shitty second half is shitty.

There are
4 obligatory boss battles per loop and you can literally do all 4 in half an hour each
if that's all you want to do. The shortcuts through the dungeons stay open and the boss fights are only marginally harder. If you have random encounters turned off you're basically walking through a couple of small rooms and fighting a few bosses.

It can drag out if you for some reason force yourself to do all the sidequests but you don't want to, sure. But there is very little actual content you have to do to finish the game.

There are
4 obligatory boss battles per loop and you can literally do all 4 in half an hour each
if that's all you want to do. The shortcuts through the dungeons stay open and the boss fights are only marginally harder. If you have random encounters turned off you're basically walking through a couple of small rooms and fighting a few bosses.

It can drag out if you for some reason force yourself to do all the sidequests but you don't want to, sure. But there is very little actual content you have to do to finish the game.

I did exactly that and it took it's time though, specially when some bosses became a lot harder. I guess it's also my fault for not breaking the game with some of the jobs and using the combinations i created myself?

Let's not fool ourselves, it's an horrible game decision and i'm pretty sure most of the regular players felt it a shore. And that doesn't even consider what the completionists probably felt. A shame because the mechanics are pretty good.

Either way, i would give second a chance, i think.

Surprised by the lower scores from a couple of outlets. I never played the first -- and likely won't bother with this one due to its genre -- but I thought these were supposed to be great games.

heringer

Surprised by the lower scores from a couple of outlets. I never played the first -- and likely won't bother with this one due to its genre -- but I thought these were supposed to be great games.

Huh? The scores seem fine. 82 on metacritic. Isn't that considered great anymore?

GorillaJu

I played the Japanese version and I found it pretty bland compared to the first. Considering the western release loses the best costume (Tomahawk) it's gonna be that much worse.

ZeroX03

Banned

Again, it's only a second half in name only. It may feel longer, but two hours isn't more than a small chunk of a 50~ hour RPG.

First one is a great game. Haven't played the second yet.

Huh? The scores seem fine. 82 on metacritic. Isn't that considered great anymore?

To a lot of people anything that isn't 90+ isn't amazing. Chances are if a game is 80+ in a genre you like it'll be good for you.

This is sounding really promising to me. More Edea can only be a good thing, far and away my favorite character from Default. Sounds like they've done even more to break open and screw w/ the classic turn based battle system too. No Revo is a disappointment, but everything else sounds pretty sweet.

Let's not fool ourselves, it's an horrible game decision and i'm pretty sure most of the regular players felt it a shore. And that doesn't even consider what the completionists probably felt. A shame because the mechanics are pretty good.

Oh yeah, definitely. I see what they were trying to do but they made a massive mistake by having the true ending path be
just keeping going through the world 5 times rather than the true ending path being where you've broken a crystal deliberately

Dingens

Oh ok, that doesn't sound too bad. Dumb idea, but shouldn't ruin the game.

it's not a dumb idea... maybe bad execution but it makes sense in the context of the story. Sadly most people can't be ask to bother and would rather complain than try to understand... (I was one of them before I saw the light).
Once you understand what they were trying to do, I thought it was quite ingenious in a meta sort of way.

So don't let them stop you from enjoying a good game. maybe you'll even become one of the few who got to understand what the story is really about.

Oh yeah, definitely. I see what they were trying to do but they made a massive mistake by having the true ending path be
just keeping going through the world 5 times rather than the true ending path being where you've broken a crystal deliberately

y, this would've been soooo much better. I'd have made players
go through the loop indefinitely (or face a game over after ... 20 loops or so) until they break the crystal.

Andyliini

I found this list from GameFAQs:

potion x3 (play the demo)
phoenix down x3 (defeat the Hawkeye)
hi-potion x3 (defeat the boss at wind temple)
remedy x3 (complete moonbase construction)
x-potion x1 (defeat ba'al no5 at any difficulty)
turbo-ether x1 (defeat ba'al no5 at Hard difficulty)
ether x1 (max out all characters job levels)
elixir x1 (complete bestiary)
20 villagers from demo will be transfer to full game,so remember to update data everyday before the full game comes.

That should be the list of bonuses you can earn by playing the demo. Just some items, so nothing spectacular. I just enjoyed playing the demo as a prelude to the main game.

it's not a dumb idea... maybe bad execution but it makes sense in the context of the story. Sadly most people can't be ask to bother and would rather complain than try to understand... (I was one of them before I saw the light).
Once you understand what they were trying to do, I thought it was quite ingenious in a meta sort of way.

So don't let them stop you from enjoying a good game. maybe you'll even become one of the few who got to understand what the story is really about.

y, this would've been soooo much better. I'd have made players
go through the loop indefinitely (or face a game over after ... 20 loops or so) until they break the crystal.

You act like it's this great, groundbreaking thing but it's dumb as fuck. It's actually not a great story either and they could
make the point with half the loops, it wasn't necessary to do everything 4 times

And the gameplay and art direction are really good but when you get to that point it's a bucket of cold water. I'm pretty sure very few people aren't burn out by the end.

Dingens

You act like it's this great, groundbreaking thing but it's dumb as fuck. It's actually not a great story either and they could
make the point with half the loops, it wasn't necessary to do everything 4 times

And the gameplay and art direction are really good but when you get to that point it's a bucket of cold water. I'm pretty sure very few people aren't burn out by the end.

no, it was absolutely necessary. Otherwise the player wouldn't feel the same level of frustration as the characters do. That's the whole beauty of it. It's an interesting meta kind of experience unlike any other in gaming.
Doesn't mean that I or other people have to like or love it, but I still respect it for what it is

ZeroX03

Banned
no, it was absolutely necessary. Otherwise the player wouldn't feel the same level of frustration as the characters do. That's the whole beauty of it. It's an interesting meta kind of experience unlike any other in gaming.
Doesn't mean that I or other people have to like or love it, but I still respect it for what it is

The problem is that because of how the story is laid out, it's kind of unclear what to do and people think it's a 10 hour part of the game when really it's 2 hours. It may work on a story level, but on a gameplay level it just pisses players off. A game is the sum of it's parts. It's sacrificing one element for another while clumsily trying to pad out content.

I found this list from GameFAQs:

potion x3 (play the demo)
phoenix down x3 (defeat the Hawkeye)
hi-potion x3 (defeat the boss at wind temple)
remedy x3 (complete moonbase construction)
x-potion x1 (defeat ba'al no5 at any difficulty)
turbo-ether x1 (defeat ba'al no5 at Hard difficulty)
ether x1 (max out all characters job levels)
elixir x1 (complete bestiary)
20 villagers from demo will be transfer to full game,so remember to update data everyday before the full game comes.

That should be the list of bonuses you can earn by playing the demo. Just some items, so nothing spectacular. I just enjoyed playing the demo as a prelude to the main game.

I wasn't going to bother with the demo from those list of items but I want villagers... I actually like that mini game.

doofy102

So, I'm interested in this series but GAF always complains about boss recycling in the first game so is it better in this one?

Andyliini

Since there ain't op yet, I have one:

12768291_1144745908898988_178993851921873447_o.jpg

Seems nice on the outside. Haven't opened it yet, but will soon.

Top Bottom