• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Second Review thread (EU)

8/10 from Metro Gamecentral

http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/25/bravely-second-end-layer-review-final-fantasy-too-5716657/

In Short: Another inspired attempt to modernise old school Japanese role-players, while retaining all the charm and depth of early era Final Fantasies.

Pros: The combat is great and the job system one of the best of any current role-player. Likeable characters, great visuals, and enjoyable side quests.

Cons: The story is still throwaway nonsense and the script isn’t good enough to sell most of the attempts at humour. Confusing terminology and worrying use of microtransactions.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
8/10 from Metro Gamecentral

http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/25/bravely-second-end-layer-review-final-fantasy-too-5716657/

In Short: Another inspired attempt to modernise old school Japanese role-players, while retaining all the charm and depth of early era Final Fantasies.

Pros: The combat is great and the job system one of the best of any current role-player. Likeable characters, great visuals, and enjoyable side quests.

Cons: The story is still throwaway nonsense and the script isn’t good enough to sell most of the attempts at humour. Confusing terminology and worrying use of microtransactions.

OP updated!

aravuus

As long as it doesn't have the same sort of stupid second half as BD had, I'm in asap. If it's a fun light adventure like BD's first half with the same addicting job and battle systems, I'm happy.

"Worrying use of microtransactions" does sound... Uh, worrying, tho.

My copy was shipped yesterday. How bad are the micro transactions?

I assume the same as the first one, as their review of the original had pretty much the same complaints.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/03/bravely-default-review-the-real-final-fantasy-4211093/

I hope it's not become even worse...sounds the same if you read both reviews though:

default said:
Level up enough in the same job and you can then start to mix and match abilities across class types, allowing for an impressive amount of character customisation. Other inspirations come, not from Final Fantasy but mobile games, including a controversial use of microtransactions that allows you to buy the ability to freeze monsters during battle. Although you can save up to do the same thing if you keep the 3DS in sleep mode for a set length of time.

It seems a thoroughly unnecessary addition though, since there are innumerable other ways the game could’ve found to make itself easier for newcomers. Also odd is a mini-game where you’re rebuilding the main character’s lost village, which happens in real time or, again, while the game is paused.
second said:
Inevitably, that terminology been added to in the sequel, with the concept of Second Points. These can be saved up to be used by any of the characters, in place of Brave Points, but they only refill if you keep your 3DS in sleep mode or if you pay for microtransactions. The original had microtransactions too, which was always pretty gross, but thankfully you can play the whole thing without needing them.

DLC is really becoming annoying. I bought Etrian Odyssey 2 the other day, and even though I haven't had time to play it, I still had to turn it on to get the two "free" quests that are only free until today and then £2.50 each. When the eshop updates push down today there will apparently be another limited time free DLC too. And they have paid "make game easier" DLC available as well too. Urgh

Nah. microtransaction is pretty much the same like in previous game, pay for the SP if you can't bother to wait for it to auto-restore. Unless of course they decided to sell some JP exclusive costumes... which I kinda doubt it. (Probably I should put this on Q&A section of OT)

Gambit

I always forget that the mechanic even exists. I've never once used SP.

Still, it's a scummy practice, but thankfully the game design doesn't make it mandatory.

The microtransactions in the first game were completely ignorable. I'd argue that if you ever actually got to the point of needing them to enjoy or finish the game, you must be playing the game incredibly wrong and/or you must be new to RPGs.

If you really need the game to be easier, there are options in the game that facilitate this that aren't behind a paywall. The game allows you to change difficulty + encounter rate at any point in the game, for example. It honestly makes me wonder why they even bother including microtransactions at all, because they make the game easy enough to never need them.

moerser

yay, ce just came in.

Es72mCU.jpg

Bloody hell the collectors edition box is massive.

Need to discretely carry a massive box the 40 minute walk home at the end of the day. Hmm. Well gaf, if I don't post again I didn't make it back and someone mugged me for it. I assume you'll avenge me.

Top Bottom