• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Second The Ballad of the Three Cavaliers (Demo thread)

NoKisum

Wiping out a Native American with a Cowboy.

I can't tell if they're going for political correctness or historical accuracy.

Or both.

I know a lot of people have looked at it this way, but it's really an odd stance to take. In the real world, there's no issue whatsoever around the art, visual style, and superficial culture of indigenous groups not being "represented" enough. The goals and preferences of activists from indigenous communities around the world vary a lot, but none of them have "include some people who dress in a way broadly inspired by our people, but who aren't actually representatives of said people" as an agenda item. In practice, the people who are most closely affected by these media depictions are not feeling "whitewashed" when they are removed -- far and away the more common request would be affirmatively to remove them.

Like, if we were talking a game set on Earth with an actual Native character I'd agree entirely, but in a fantasy setting there's actually no way for a character like this to be anything but a stereotype pastiche that's at least vaguely inappropriate.

I don't really think this way personally.

I'm Jewish and would love to see more representation and inspiration even if it involves vaguely stereotypical designs and takes place in a fantasy world. If there was a game with an equivalent "stereotype level" to Aimee that was removed or replaced in the localization process, I would absolutely be disappointed and consider it a sort of "whitewashing" even if the depiction wasn't super flattering in the first place (provided it isn't outright intentionally hateful, which this isn't).

I don't really think this way personally.

I'm Jewish

You're speaking from the vantage point of a completely different minority group with a completely different history and completely different set of concerns and issues. The way issues of representation are typically perceived by Native people are not the same as they are for Jews, which are not the same as they are for yet other ethnicities. When a creator is looking to be respectful in a situation like this, the specific concerns mounted by the affected group are going to be what's most relevant.

xevis

Banned
Changing a native american character completely into a cowgirl to be politically correct is the most paradoxical thing I've seen in a while.

Are cowboys racist? I mean I understand the parallel you're trying to draw but it's not like white Americans have much of a problem with being stereotyped as such.

komorebi

Aimee looks really nice, for reference this is ha before:

ztJCd8H.png

and this is her now:

QEc3ynz.jpg

I like boot looks but the new one look great =3

Old costume is by far superior imo. Yet another ignorant and disappointing move by NoA/NoE.

The decision to change it to a cowgirl was reasonable due to how the job system works. Shouldn't have made it in the first place but at least they're learning.

Old costume is by far superior imo. Yet another ignorant and disappointing move by NoA/NoE.

*snicker*

SeanTSC

I don't get how this change *isn't* extremely offensive. Changing a Native American inspired design to a Cowboy(girl), which is a caricature of the people who committed genocide on them, disgusts me so much.

This is just as bad as if they changed a Jewish character to a German one, imo.

Hedge

Why didn't they just not make her outfit inspired by a specific culture? Why not just make an original nature/hunting/whatever themed outfit?

I don't get how this change *isn't* extremely offensive. Changing a Native American inspired design to a Cowboy(girl), which is a caricature of the people who committed genocide on them, disgusts me so much.

This is just as bad as if they changed a Jewish character to a German one, imo.

What an odd stance to take. The original character is inspired by stereotypes of said culture and on top of that unnecessarily sexualized.

SeanTSC

What an odd stance to take. The original character is inspired by stereotypes of said culture and on top of that unnecessarily sexualized.

And that's not even remotely as bad to me compared to replacing it by the people who mass slaughtered them. My dad grew up on the Siletz reservation in Oregon and I've always had parts of the native culture here in my life, and while that's different from the Plains motif, it hurts head so much to think that someone thought that this was an okay thing to do instead of editing the character in ANY other possible way.

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
Native american costume -> cultural appropriation/offensive and stereotypical portrayal of an oppressed minority

Cowboy costume -> whitewashing/underrepresentation of oppressed minorities

There really is no winning move is it?

Dreavus

Does this demo unlock a few items in the full game like the demo for Bravely Default did? Always thought that was a pretty cool feature.

Oregano

Does this demo unlock a few items in the full game like the demo for Bravely Default did? Always thought that was a pretty cool feature.

I'm not sure what exactly the bonus is but there is some kind of bonus for completing the demo.

Leiru

Native american costume -> cultural appropriation/offensive and stereotypical portrayal of an oppressed minority

The cowboy one has a hat so it is by default the better one.

Not to be pedantic, but what would even constitute a necessity?

I can see though how if they had to go in to change the model regardless, it was tempting to arbitrarily shoehorn in a pair of pants.

rhandino

Banned
Yes.

I also really liked that th story in the demo seems to be an actual prologue to the main game and will focus on the characters that look like the 3 Musketeers.

And that's not even remotely as bad to me compared to replacing it by the people who mass slaughtered them. My dad grew up on the Siletz reservation in Oregon and I've always had parts of the native culture here in my life, and while that's different from the Plains motif, it hurts head so much to think that someone thought that this was an okay thing to do instead of editing the character in ANY other possible way.

I'd understand this position if Amy/Aimee was actually a respectful representation of Native American culture. As it stands, they simply replaced one offensive stereotype with a way less offensive one. For me that's a net gain.

Not to be pedantic, but what would even constitute a necessity?

I can see though how if they had to go in to change the model regardless, it was tempting to arbitrarily shoehorn in a pair of pants.

Unnecessary was maybe the wrong word and maybe this is just me but if you're going to have a minority character (or rather a character that badly represents a minority), do it in a respectful manner and not just to fetishize it.

Dreavus

Yes.

I also really liked that th story in the demo seems to be an actual prologue to the main game and will focus on the characters that look like the 3 Musketeers.

That's cool.

Makes a lot of sense for an RPG demo. Offers something to add to the main game while trying it out to see if it's something the player will like.

Teletraan1

Banned

So why not just tone down the stereotypes? The changing into the thing that is a stereotypical representation of who slaughtered the first stereotype is way more gross than the original hammy stereotype. They could have been respectful with the costume, and even gone with something very authentic and empowering while also changing the class name from something other than Tomahawk which didn't even fit the playstyle of a character with a bow and is just some old time racism that has no part in society period.

AlucardGV

Banned

at first i was annoyed by the change but it's just too meta, it almost feel like subtle trolling.

there is no winning but i'll take this loss with a laugh

So why not just tone down the stereotypes? The changing into the thing that is a stereotypical representation of who slaughtered the first stereotype is way more gross than the original hammy stereotype. They could have been respectful with the costume, and even gone with something very authentic and empowering while also changing the class name from something other than Tomahawk which didn't even fit the playstyle of a character with a bow and is just some old time racism that has no part in society period.

Just want to correct something. Tomahawk (or rather Hawkeye now) main weapon isn't bow, it's rifle.

But Amy/Aimee isn't even a Native American character. They just took inspiration (in the worst way possible) from real life cultures to design a fantasy tribe. Changing it to something "more respectful" would make it better but still not good. It's exploitative any way you look at it.

edit: people will have differing opinions on how offensive which thing is and from the looks of it there's no common ground to be reached so let's just agree to disagree and say that the entire situation has been an unfortunate series of events. This isn't the thread to discuss this anyway.

Oregano

I might have misheard Aimee during her first appearance. She actually sound like she has a Jersey/Joisey accent in her second appearance.

SeanTSC

I'd understand this position if Amy/Aimee was actually a respectful representation of Native American culture. As it stands, they simply replaced one offensive stereotype with a way less offensive one. For me that's a net gain.

Here's the thing. I will take pretty much anything that I can get and the Cowboy change is extremely personally offensive to me. Unlike the vast majority of Americans on GAF, I did not grow up in a Christian family and I was not raised on any of the big religions. My dad was grew up on a reservation and my mom, who was raised hardcore catholic, literally said Fuck Religion as a teenager and never looked back on it. I grew up going to pow-wows, not Church. I grew up raising and riding horses, not playing Football or Baseball. That was the culture of my childhood and where the little spirituality that I have left that hasn't been crushed out of me by the circumstances of life comes from.

So, I will fucking take anything that represents that part of my life in any way and the Southern Cowboy change is just so mind-blowingly infuriating.

Apologies for shitting up the Demo thread with my frustrations.

Aimee looks really nice, for reference this is ha before:

ztJCd8H.png

and this is her now:

QEc3ynz.jpg

I like boot looks but the new one look great =3

Real question being missed here, are those chaps assless?

(Sorry after seeing all the legitimate discussion this popped into my head, what if? And then the next round of backlash to ensue)

I think that's incredibly applicable to the topic at hand, and worth taking note of.

I know that you don't somehow represent every member of tribe and don't need people from other cultures thinking they know what's best for your personal sensibilities, but I'm saddened that when an issue of representation of a marginalized group comes up, it's easier just to erase them from media.

I find it an incredible credit to Capcom to reach out to LGBT groups to keep Poison true to her origin story instead of hand waving it away, and wish more games could take a cue from that, even if it doesn't universally guard against a certain amount of legitimate criticism.

No, I mean, it's relevant to at least something that's come up and been discussed here due to appearing in the demo.

I know that you don't somehow represent every member of tribe and don't need people from other cultures thinking they know what's best for your personal sensibilities, but I'm saddened that when an issue of representation of a marginalized group comes up, it's easier just to erase them from media.

I think the reaction really is going to differ between cases where a member of a marginalized group is represented but in an offensive way, and cases where someone uses trappings of a marginalized group without actually representing them; this is much more the latter.

Ulthwe

Got an early demo code and finally sunk some time in it. Keep in mind that the story from the demo is a bit of a prologue not present in the final game, but there's not much going on. It plays as a series of simple quests from the villagers. I've played 5h, with one dungeon left.

Music:
Yep, music is worse than BD. Not bad at all, but when you find yourself humming the old tunes when done playing...

Combat:
Great improvements to an already great combat system. Engage Bravely on a submenu attack or magic? Check. Auto-combat with different slots to program? Check. Keep on fighting to add bonus xp if you win on the first round? Check. Quick access to encounter rate from the map? Check.
There's also surprise "new challenger" combats which can make you eat dust if you are low on Bravely.

Graphics:
Art direction is superb, as the first one. It seems to recycle quite a few assets (enemies, backgrounds) from BD though, but keep in mind the demo takes place on an area already present on the first game. The few dungeons seem a bit more inspired, but they're quite small.

Jobs:
There's 2 new ones (
Astrologian, Wizard, Hawkeye
) and 6 returning ones (
Freelancer, Valkyrie, Red Mage, Swordmaster, Performer
), some of them available from the go, and you can guess which ones you can get from the weapons in the shop. Sadly, the Three Cavaliers don't swap costumes in the demo.

Still on the fence on this one, haven't even preordered. I don't feel like sinking more time on a JRPG right now, even if it's as welcoming to newbies as this is.

Got an early demo code and finally sunk some time in it. Keep in mind that the story from the demo is a bit of a prologue not present in the final game, but there's not much going on. It plays as a series of simple quests from the villagers. I've played 5h, with one dungeon left.

Music:
Yep, music is worse than BD. Not bad at all, but when you find yourself humming the old tunes when done playing...

Combat:
Great improvements to an already great combat system. Engage Bravely on a submenu attack or magic? Check. Auto-combat with different slots to program? Check. Keep on fighting to add bonus xp if you win on the first round? Check. Quick access to encounter rate from the map? Check.
There's also surprise "new challenger" combats which can make you eat dust if you are low on Bravely.

Graphics:
Art direction is superb, as the first one. It seems to recycle quite a few assets (enemies, backgrounds) from BD though, but keep in mind the demo takes place on an area already present on the first game. The few dungeons seem a bit more inspired, but they're quite small.

Jobs:
There's 2 new ones (
Astrologian, Wizard, Hawkeye
) and 6 returning ones (
Freelancer, Valkyrie, Red Mage, Swordmaster, Performer
), some of them available from the go, and you can guess which ones you can get from the weapons in the shop. Sadly, the Three Cavaliers don't swap costumes in the demo.

Still on the fence on this one, haven't even preordered. I don't feel like sinking more time on a JRPG right now, even if it's as welcoming to newbies as this is.

You do get warned about forced "new challengers" too it says something like "more await" when combat starts.

You're missing a new job
Excorcist

I think this could have been handled better by altering the existing costume and the class-name. Maybe use Mayan design elements instead?

She looks cool as a cowgirl, but I agree with the others who think it's darkly ironic.

It has no effect on my opinion on the game or desire to play it, however. I'm interested, but I haven't played the first yet.

Demo's officially out in the PAL regions.

If you're just interested in blasting through for the bonuses:

Play on Casual
Play through the story until you unlock the Moon Base and start building (it's by far the slowest party)

Disable Encounters and grab all the treasure chests, from all the dungeons first. There's hidden chests on the world map (run into the edge on the "alcove" looking things on the world map and mash x, should be 2 in the desert (not including the quest item) and 1 in
the forest area from the south exit in town.

After that just play through the story and it'll lead you through everything.

Spellcrafted
Red magic
while dual wielding Rods is hilariously broken for boss fights in the demo abuse it as much as possible.

You need to complete the besitiary (ie defeat all bosses once and non-bosses until all the black boxes are full) to get a bonus. Chaining battles is the best way to do this and get JP/Exp as well.

Chompers
aren't worth it as a grinding area if you're playing on Hard (they should work okay on Normal and great on Easy) they can be found
on the desert beach to the west of town

You have to beat the
Baal
fight on Hard to get a bonus (you get a different bonus for beating it on any difficulty) but you can change to Hard just before the fight (and the fight is actually pretty easy if you take my previous advice since it can be 1 rounded).

Don't buy things from the shop unless you've got a plan for them (the Demo is actually fairly stingy with pg, and the sellback is low) and the dungeon items are usually way better.

Sometimes dungeon weapons are better than the best shop items even if a class has lower proficiency ranks in them so make sure to consider that. Also the lack of Dual Wield and Two-Handed makes Guns surprisingly good Melee base weapons for classes with good Dex since they are Two-Handed by default.

Z..

Are the demo and the prologue the same thing? 'Coz the prologue gift icon vanished after I clicked it and all I can find on the shop is the demo.

septicore

Are the demo and the prologue the same thing? 'Coz the prologue gift icon vanished after I clicked it and all I can find on the shop is the demo.

Yeah they're both the same thing, pretty much.

Has anybody been able to get more villagers from StreetPass? Because I've been using Spill Pass to get a chance to encounter StreetPass users with the demo but I haven't been able to get any of them yet.

I know the demo is officially out now, so there's gotta be more people out there playing the demo with a chance of getting villagers via StreetPass.

They handled the whole thing pretty well just some questionable skill naming:having the class be Hawkeye and their innate Eagle Eye and leaving the skill set as Shamanism (and Harpoon for Pierce Def sounds more like a Pirate skill should have gone with Armor Piercing or something).

Aimee's voice is kinda strange when most of the vocal patterns are generic but it'd hardly the first time that's happened in a JRPG.
Wonder when demo will hit NA? I need more BD in my life.

Should be 2 weeks before the game. They've roughly swapped the Bravely and Fire Emblem launches (again).

Top Bottom