• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Second The Ballad of the Three Cavaliers (Demo thread)

Junahu

The Bravely demos are arguably better than the Bravely games themselves. They have a very different structure that encourages the player to go out and learn by failing. And at 5-6 hours, with level capped at 20 and class ranks capped at 4 the demos don't overstay their welcome.

And the price-point is just right; can't argue with free.

It's still obnoxious that you can't gain Sleep Points without the game being switched on. They come once every 8 hours, meaning you have to leave your console in sleep mode with the game on in order to earn any. The same issue applies to the town rebuilding, which won't happen with the game turned off.
Surely the point of these features is to encourage the player to play the game every day, not to force them to never turn the game off at all.

Also you can change the encounter rate freely again. I don't like being able to do that, but other people do, so I guess I have to accept it as a feature.

It is a stereotype on top of a stereotype replacing a stereotype they thought was offensive but this new stereotype probably does more to offend the stereotype that didn't want to offend.

It's stupid.
It's official. We'll get offended by anything. Whether it's actually offensive or not.

Also you can change the encounter rate freely again. I don't like being able to do that, but other people do, so I guess I have to accept it as a feature.

I assume you spoilered this to indicate nit picking rather than as a spoiler since it isn't one so I'll respond like its not spoilered, apologies if I'm incorrect.

I think it'll be less of an issue this time where its always been part of the game rather than BD where it was only added in For the Sequel / the Western Release. It does really mess with optimum behaviour though. Because dungeon items are powerful its best to turn off encounters and explore all dungeons (avoiding bosses), then depending on power either do the boss fight while you're fresh or grind equivalent to exploring the dungeon (after doubling encounter rate) , then disable encounters head back to town and heal then return and do the thing you didn't before.

The boss fights do seem to be balanced that way on Hard at least, they'll straight out kill you unless you go in at appropriate level with appropriate gear at full health (though you can do better if you cheese of course).

I have a code for early access to the NA demo. I'll give it away to whoever can come with the best fictional class that had to be altered for the Western release. Give both the original class and the well-meaning edit.

The demo doesn't unlock until the 7th, so three days early. I'll give out the code tomorrow night.

Edit: Maybe there's a better thread for this? It occurred to me that if people don't know that early codes were sent out they may not be reading a thread about a demo they don't have access to.

Or maybe just no one cares, a few days early access to a free demo isn't that big a deal I guess. I haven't really been following the game, just randomly got an email with a code.

Furanshi

Neo Member
Anyone else have an NA demo code that they aren't utilizing? I don't have a best buy gamers unlocked membership. :(

Dice//

Banned
Aimee looks really nice, for reference this is ha before:

ztJCd8H.png

and this is her now:

QEc3ynz.jpg

I like boot looks but the new one look great =3

With the dubious ideas about graphic-ing over a silly-looking fantasy native with a cowboy; I definitely prefer the less tacky outfit.

Adamator

I hate to ask but I am dying to play the demo if anyone has a spare code they could send me. I'm kind of In between games right now and would love to start the demo.

BooJoh

I've gotten 3 StreetPass hits for this over homepass now and every time when I go to collect them it says "No data found." I don't know if the EU version is incompatible with the NA version, or if the full version isn't compatible with the demo, or what. Really weird though, I'd like to be able to collect the villagers assuming they can carry over to the full game like with the first.

Exentryk

I've gotten 3 StreetPass hits for this over homepass now and every time when I go to collect them it says "No data found." I don't know if the EU version is incompatible with the NA version, or if the full version isn't compatible with the demo, or what. Really weird though, I'd like to be able to collect the villagers assuming they can carry over to the full game like with the first.

I get "no data found" as well, but you eventually do get some actual hits. Maybe coz not many people have the EU demo? I eventually got 19/20 in the demo. The full game seems to be giving more hits.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Fighting the final boss right now. Things can get pretty difficult on hard even with maxing out your level, which you will do if you fill out that pokedex. Well, I suppose you could turn off leveling if you really wanted to.

Brakke

Banned
Shouts to the210 for the code hook-up.

I appreciate this series's interest in these AR cinematics. But uhh this demo has an eleven second Time To Upskirt. Fucken lol.

Chairhome

Sorry if answered before, but do any of the jobs you earn in demo transfer to the real game? (I'm assuming not)
Also, Janne, yew... Any relation to Airy? Or is it a coincidence?... (Jan-u-ary) if it's a spoiler, don't tell me :)

I am enjoying the demo so far, I wonder why this game got bad reviews in Japan. Then again, I didn't mind the repetitive nature of the last act in the first game. I think the voice acting and playfulness of the story are great so far, looking forward to the final game. The demo has me hooked already

Brakke

Banned
Put a couple hours into the demo. Yo Aimee is a complete catastrophe. Indian-turned-Cowboy... with a wiseguy accent?? Did she had that Jersey accent when she was an Indian design?

This game continues to have simply the best UI of pretty much any game in any genre. Is it new that you can queue up multiples of one ability from within the ability menu with L & R? I don't remember that, but it's great.

I really like the Spellcraft skill. Love job that benefit from / enhance other jobs on the same character.

Brakke

Banned
Ps for everyone who picked up a demo code: GameFAQs have the carryover item unlock requirements.

I'm p sure the moon base thing is going to be totally impossible. I can't imagine I'm going to get a villager any kind of way.

Ps for everyone who picked up a demo code: GameFAQs have the carryover item unlock requirements.

I'm p sure the moon base thing is going to be totally impossible. I can't imagine I'm going to get a villager any kind of way.

How the hell do you get moon people anyways? I accidentally skipped the explanation too quickly and I missed that part.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If its anything like the first game the demo counts as streetpasses for the real game, so if you happen to have multiple 3DS's you can help your streetpasses tremendously by downloading it and playing through until you unlock streetpasses.

Also the final demo boss is kind of a joke compared to the second to last boss.

Brakke

Banned
Anyone got any tips? I'm definitely missing something. My bestiary is full except an "aquatic" monster? And if I set a Freelancer chest-finding skill, it says I'm missing a chest in the *overworld*? Finally, the rumor lady mentioned there's a monster that gives lots of EXP somewhere but I don't think I've found that. There's some special area or trigger or encounter that's eluding me?

Also the final demo boss is kind of a joke compared to the second to last boss.

Lol real talk. That Necromancer guy worked me over but I sailed through the final boss just fine.

Anyone got any tips? I'm definitely missing something. My bestiary is full except an "aquatic" monster? And if I set a Freelancer chest-finding skill, it says I'm missing a chest in the *overworld*? Finally, the rumor lady mentioned there's a monster that gives lots of EXP somewhere but I don't think I've found that. There's some special area or trigger or encounter that's eluding me?

The beach area near the cave to the west with all the skeletons is where those enemies are. Supposedly they're only found during night, but I've encountered them during morning/dusk/whatever the game calls the time of day between day and night.

Funny enough, you need to be over-leveled to beat them since they hit crazy hard and love running away.

Brakke

Banned
Sweet, you can get the Beat The Demo On Hard reward just by changing difficulty to Hard only for the final boss; he's super duper easy on Hard once you also have the Max Everyone Out reward. :p

Now I just need the Complete The Moon reward, which I might get just by checking in to the demo once per day, and then:

The beach area near the cave to the west with all the skeletons is where those enemies are. Supposedly they're only found during night, but I've encountered them during morning/dusk/whatever the game calls the time of day between day and night.

Funny enough, you need to be over-leveled to beat them since they hit crazy hard and love running away.

That did it, thanks! Unfortunately, the reward for completing the Bestiary requires COMPLETE status, I think. Which means I'd have to kill a bunch of monsters like twenty more times each... Probably going to pass on that.

Also this overworld chest is still bothering me, but if there's no real game reward I suppose I don't care that much about it.

Skrams

100%'d everything besides moon base in 12.5 hours. I'll get it in a day or two with the dumb idling.

Really great demo all together. A lot of variety to mess with the 10 classes. Ended up with Black/red, Valkyrie/red, swordmaster/Hawkeye, black/astrologist. Final boss was a bit easy compared to the boys beforehand. Mostly just because dadada turn back time. He just wouldn't allow me to keep my one red mage alive. Did probably over 20k damage or more in the whole battle. Eventually won out since Janne was mah boy and couldn't die. Yew was OK too.

If anyone also wants the extra invisible treasure chest on the map then it's directly across from the town northish. It's just cornered in the mountains and it's 3 potions.

Also forgot to mention the final boss design along with the music/background that reminded of Madoka was super cool. Music in general is pretty good.

Top Bottom