• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Third already planned by producer if Bravely Second sells well enough

Dark_castle

I hope for the third game it becomes a full fledged console title with larger production values. Something along the lines of FFIX.

Oregano

Yeah the generational switch here is a compounding factor in my mind.

If we were talking about "greenlight something to reuse all the assets again" it probably would be a lot easier than "hey we're Square Enix and we make games with high end graphics for the systems we're on, and the 4DS is probably a system that's a fair bit ahead of the PlayStation Vita".

I think the bigger issue is that SE clearly isn't willing to break the bank for Second so if Third is going to be more expensive regardless are they even going to bother?

In light of stuff like Drakengard 3, SaGa 2015(though we haven't seen this) and Star Ocean 5 they look oddly risk averse when it comes to the Bravely series. Especially considering BDFF was the game that the CEO cited as being a wake up call.

Synless

I thought the first game was pretty average. I hope the second game remedies all of the problems I had with the game.

ConceptX

It's hard not to describe the latter part of Bravely Default as anything but a bit of a dick move.

However, 90% of the game is excellent, a really refreshing and beautiful game, at least in my opinion.

So as soon as they bring out Bravely Second over here I'll be grabbing a copy without question.

It's amazing that localization hasn't even been announced yet, especially when BD did so surprisingly (to SE) well in the west.

jwhit28

I wonder if they are comfortable doing the same thing over and over or if the games will evolve like the Final Fantasy series did? I'd be fine if they stuck to the FFIII style forever

Oregano

I wonder if they are comfortable doing the same thing over and over or if the games will evolve like the Final Fantasy series did? I'd be fine if they stuck to the FFIII style forever

Something tells me they are.:p

4 Heroes of Light has a lot of reused content towards the end of the game too.

It's hard not to describe the latter part of Bravely Default as anything but a bit of a dick move.

However, 90% of the game is excellent, a really refreshing and beautiful game, at least in my opinion.

So as soon as they bring out Bravely Second over here I'll be grabbing a copy without question.

It's amazing that localization hasn't even been announced yet, especially when BD did so surprisingly (to SE) well in the west.

They have actually hinted in an interview that they were (playfully) giving their localization team a hard time, so I have no doubts it is going to be localized. They also stated in that interview that they are very well aware of the success the first game had outside of Japan. I also don't think they'd have bothered with the teaser trailer at the end of the game in BDFF for the West if they weren't hoping to bring the sequel out as well

I'd imagine it will sell well enough (and hopefully). It's wonderful that this has become a franchise.

Seems that Bravely Second sales performance is going to be good, so this might as well be a confirmation there will be a third game already.
Hey man, welcome back from banland!

Lunar15

After how awful the first one turned out being in the end, I have a hard time believing this will sell better than the first. The second half of that game was such a turnoff that i'm entirely uninterested in picking up another game in the series.

Most of the stuff I've read about this one sounds like even more of a phone-in than the first, which somehow seems impossible.

I'll think about buying it after it's released, I want to hear if there are any... surprises this time. If the game caps off its length at, like, 30 or 40 hours, I'm in. I don't want to get the rug pulled out from under me after I get halfway through the game!

I am going to take the reviews VERY seriously for this sequel... I loved the first part of the game but I never bothered finishing the last rehash. They need to do a lot to justify this purchase for me.

EDIT: Why is it that no one can make a concise RPG any more?

Now if only Bravely second will get localized. As ling as these games keep being made, ill keep buying them. classic turn based JRPGs need to stay around, especially with the changed bravely made to the combat. So much fun

Sandfox

Yeah the generational switch here is a compounding factor in my mind.

If we were talking about "greenlight something to reuse all the assets again" it probably would be a lot easier than "hey we're Square Enix and we make games with high end graphics for the systems we're on, and the 4DS is probably a system that's a fair bit ahead of the PlayStation Vita".
I think it would be an easier sell if it were to come out close to the 4DS launch.

I want it to come to America first. Then you got my support. Despite the last half of BD being what it was, I enjoyed the game fully.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I wish these guys were working on a console level title or something. I mean, what's that fully capable current gen engine for that your already porting things to PS4 for, if not for games? Contracts? Who's going to take your contract if you don't show what you can do with it?

pants

Eh, I wish they'd E.X. Troopers these games onto console or PC, I'm not that into handhelds to start with but love turn based RPGs. It's not like these games would be rejected by pc/console players for having 3DS graphics, thats not why people play these games.

Arturo

I am going to take the reviews VERY seriously for this sequel... I loved the first part of the game but I never bothered finishing the last rehash. They need to do a lot to justify this purchase for me.

EDIT: Why is it that no one can make a concise RPG any more?

Exactly. It's really sad because the first part of the game is great and I enjoyed it a lot, but I couldn't finish the game because of THAT last part, and that's why my feelings about the game ended up being a mixed bag. In fact I don't think I'll ever invest the time needed to actually finish it…

I really enjoyed "playing" Bravely Default, but I hated the story and the second half of the game garbage where...
you have to keep playing through the same 4 dungeons and bosses 4 separate times in order to pad out the experience because people who play RPGs are lunatics and can't seem to stomach shorter games.

Speaking of, Bravely Second or whatever it is called is going to keep the streetpass stuff, right? I loved getting characters to help fight for me in battle. I thought that and the town building stuff was great.

Exactly. It's really sad because the first part of the game is great and I enjoyed it a lot, but I couldn't finish the game because of THAT last part, and that's why my feelings about the game ended up being a mixed bag. In fact I don't think I'll ever invest the time needed to actually finish it…

You can literally speed through the last sections of the game. Ignore the side quests (the blue ! marks) and only do the main story ones. That can be done in like 2 hours.

Plus, grinding in BD isn't really an issue because of auto battle and braving 4 times in a fight. so being underleveled for the final boss wont be an issue really.

I adore that he and his team still wanna keep making these kinds of RPGs, and so far I'm happy that SE has been letting them.

I'd welcome a Bravely Third, and I can't wait to get my hands on Bravely Second tomorrow morning.

VariantX

They barely had a budget to justify a second one on the 3DS, so going HD for a third is probably out of the picture here.

Tha't wouldn't stop square from making an HD collection down the line though. Its easiest money they could make outside of mobile.

Still wondering if I should get Bravely Default.

Not sure if this is the kind of game I want to play on a handheld.

It is worth getting, just in case the sequel(s?) are any good.

Just go into it knowing that only the first quarter of the game is good (not the first half as often gets mentioned). You can still get a lot of hours out of it, so just bail out once it falls apart.

tokkun

You can literally speed through the last sections of the game. Ignore the side quests (the blue ! marks) and only do the main story ones. That can be done in like 2 hours.

Plus, grinding in BD isn't really an issue because of auto battle and braving 4 times in a fight. so being underleveled for the final boss wont be an issue really.

What's the point, though? If you aren't enjoying the game, wouldn't it be better just to watch the ending on Youtube?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Btw, is Silicon Studios actually owned by Square Enix. Just wondering if Square Enix wasn't interested in a BD3 whether they could split off and do something else if another company was interested in publishing their titles (let's say Nintendo for example).

Cleve

I'm down for more, but fuck, relax on the sequels for a bit square. Take what made bravely so successful and see if you can apply it to something new again. If you keep milking the new franchise it'll just kill the whole series.

ZeroX03

Banned

Yeah I never found the last third of the game to be all that long or big of a deal. You really can just speed through it. If you try and do all the sidequests it becomes a huge drag. Just like Xenoblade.

Arturo

Why did you have to tell me that… XD 2 hours? Really? If it's about 2 hours I'll give it a try then. At least I hope the ending is worth it :p

What's the point, though? If you aren't enjoying the game, wouldn't it be better just to watch the ending on Youtube?
If someone enjoys it for the first 4 chapters, they must have loved the gameplay and the story being told. You can hit a point where you don't like something that happens, but you can play through it if you loved the rest of it.

Why did you have to tell me that… XD 2 hours? Really? If it's about 2 hours I'll give it a try then. At least I hope the ending is worth it :p

I loved the ending. plus, that true final boss music. There is a true ending as well as a false one, so be aware.

Why can't I get this nightmarish vision out of my head "thanks for making Bravely Second a success on 3DS! Please be excited for Bravely Third exclusively on Android and iOS!"

Velcro Fly

Doesn't really surprise me that they'd want to get all they can out of the franchise while they can. Can't really blame them if the gameplay is still fun.

Laconic

Banned
The battle system was one of the best takes on the Job System ever.

That said, I do hope Square decides to include compelling characters this time. Maybe even a story, whilst they are at it.

Also:

5, 6, 7, 8, what we do, reiterate!

Top Bottom