• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Breaking Bad" - Season 2 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cornballer said:
This show is on fire right now - top notch stuff and perhaps the best thing on television at the moment.

Agreed on both counts.

Every week I think it can't possibly meet or exceed the previous week's quality and then it does.

Talk about hitting rock bottom. Man, that was tough to watch at times.

Anna Gunn is doing a great job this season along with everyone else.

pinkbunny

Cornballer said:
Anna Gunn is doing a great job this season along with everyone else.

Breaking Bad is just stacked with great actors. It makes me wonder how much better Dexter would be... Michael Hall pulls one heavy load. I was so happy they gave him Miguel last season.

Anywho, tonight's episode was intense as hell. Jesse hits rock bottom, but Walt hits his own too. What's this all for if he doesn't have a family anymore?

Ah good stuff.

Ventrue

I love how this show uses silence. It gets so tense at times.

By the way, what was with the pool bit at the beginning? I remember seeing a similar scene in one of the other new episodes, I can't remember if the rabbit is something we've seen before or if it's building up to a future episode.

KingGondo

Banned
Ventrue said:
By the way, what was with the pool bit at the beginning? I remember seeing a similar scene in one of the other new episodes, I can't remember if the rabbit is something we've seen before or if it's building up to a future episode.

I assume it's a foreshadowing technique, which will probably build to a future episode. Kind of like the pilot episode and the Tuco shootout, although those took place in the same episode.

daw840

Great episode, but very depressing. The next episode should be awesome.

KingGondo said:
I assume it's a foreshadowing technique, which will probably build to a future episode. Kind of like the pilot episode and the Tuco shootout, although those took place in the same episode.

If you look at the last piece of evidence in the line of bags it appears to be Walt's sunglasses.....

daw840 said:
If you look at the last piece of evidence in the line of bags it appears to be Walt's sunglasses.....
That was the pool at the White residence, right?

I love this show so much, that I'm so scared about where it could go and still be "realistic." Walt and Skyler can't keep going on like this -- it would ruin them. Any money Walt secures for their future would be a Pyrrhic victory.

Walt is too close to the fire to continue cooking anyway. He'd have to flee to somewhere remote if he wants to produce (and distribute) drugs.

It's such a corner for the writers to be in, that I'm constantly excited and on my toes. The confrontation between Walt and Skyler was akin to Avon's and Stringer's in season 3, except that Walt backed off the edge of telling the truth.

Amazing.

Spectacular.

daw840

Battersea Power Station said:
That was the pool at the White residence, right?

Oh holy shit. That didn't even cross my mind....

I love this show so much, that I'm so scared about where it could go and still be "realistic." Walt and Skyler can't keep going on like this -- it would ruin them. Any money Walt secures for their future would be a Pyrrhic victory.

Walt is too close to the fire to continue cooking anyway. He'd have to flee to somewhere remote if he wants to produce (and distribute) drugs.

It's such a corner for the writers to be in, that I'm constantly excited and on my toes. The confrontation between Walt and Skyler was akin to Avon's and Stringer's in season 3, except that Walt backed off the edge of telling the truth.

Amazing.

Spectacular.

Agreed, I just wonder how many seasons they will try to stretch this out to. It seems that they can't do a whole lot more and still keep the realism. However, they will probably surprise us all!

Holy crap. Best episode of the season so far and possibly my favourite of the show. The acting from everyone was insanely good.

The confrontation scene between Skylar and Walt was exceptional. Anna Gunn really is one of the highlights for me. She was brilliant in this ep, and has delivered a great performance from the beginning. You know exactly what is going on in her head, even when there is a sparse amount of dialogue.

The sequence of darkly humorous situations that continued to pile up on Jessie until he finally snapped on Walt was genius.

The tension in both of these confrontations was amazing. I really feel kind of uneasy when watching this show.

I just can't see how any of this can end well for Walt. It really doesn't feel like this show could go past a second season at this point without stretching all suspension of disbelief and i hope they decide to end it sooner rather than later.

daw840

Spotless Mind said:
I just can't see how any of this can end well for Walt. It really doesn't feel like this show could go past a second season at this point without stretching all suspension of disbelief and i hope they decide to end it sooner rather than later.

I have the same feeling, but I don't want to lose the BEST show on TV. I don't really think they can stretch this for more than one more season, and that seems to be pushing it.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
pinkbunny said:
Breaking Bad is just stacked with great actors. It makes me wonder how much better Dexter would be... Michael Hall pulls one heavy load. I was so happy they gave him Miguel last season.

Anywho, tonight's episode was intense as hell. Jesse hits rock bottom, but Walt hits his own too. What's this all for if he doesn't have a family anymore?

Ah good stuff.

I too thought that was the theme of this episode. I am wondering what direction they are going to go with this. Maybe Season 3 is going to be him and Jesse on the run sort of thing with his family coping with him being a meth maker.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Comparing Breaking Bad to Sopranos is like comparing Shawshank Redemption to Let's Go To Prison. That's just how good Breaking Bad is. I agree with that reviewer on all other points, he just misses that this mechanism was so overdone on Sopranos, here it makes sense and they aren't going to shove it down our throat constantly, there will be reckoning.

Soon.

Sharp

I happened to be watching AMC the other day and caught an episode of this; it was pretty damn good. Is the show consistently high-quality or was I just lucky that day?

Costanza

Banned
Sharp said:
I happened to be watching AMC the other day and caught an episode of this; it was pretty damn good. Is the show consistently high-quality or was I just lucky that day?
Every episode is amazing. Start from the beginning :)

Sharp

Costanza said:
Every episode is amazing. Start from the beginning :)
I will, thanks for the recommendation. I'm looking for new shows to watch now that I've caught up on Chuck and 30 Rock, so this is good to hear.

Ventrue

Sharp said:
I will, thanks for the recommendation. I'm looking for new shows to watch now that I've caught up on Chuck and 30 Rock, so this is good to hear.

Hint: Breaking Bad is the best show on television.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
msv said:
she was smoking in the car
and that causes cerebal palsy?

I know smoking while pregnant is 'bad' but not exactly sure what it can lead to. But I did get a really good laugh when my flatmate said 'awww that poor baby is going to be born with ruined lungs' :lol

Meier

I finally finished season 1 last night... I had the episodes on my TiVo and canceled it when I moved to DirecTV so they're still sitting there on it (in a box). That scene with them carrying the barrel was hysterical. :lol

Anyway, I am stoked to get into the new season, have them all sitting on my DVR now and hope to plow through them shortly. Unfortunately, my gf has no interest in this show which makes it a teeny bit harder.

Just saw a spoiler, poop. Oh well, not that big of a deal.

AlternativeUlster said:
Cornballer, what are your predictions?
The genius of this show is that it consistently goes places that I didn't expect. The two things that I'm pondering at the moment are when Skyler finds out and how the pool crime scene is tied into the story.
Sharp said:
Yup, it's all excellent. There have only been 11 episodes so far, and it won't take you long to catch up.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I feel like the story is going to eventually have to evolve into Walt getting caught, and the fallout from that. They could even have the trial

daw840

dave is ok said:
I feel like the story is going to eventually have to evolve into Walt getting caught, and the fallout from that. They could even have the trial

It seems like it is pushing that way. If you noticed, in the last episode the DEA Brother said that they keep hearing the name
Heisenberg

The Hollywood Reporter said:
AMC renews 'Breaking Bad'
Move comes four episodes into the second season
By Nellie Andreeva
April 1, 2009, 11:06 PM ET

Four episodes into the second season of "Breaking Bad," AMC has picked up Vince Gilligan's drama series for a third cycle.

Following a well-received first season that earned the series a Peabody Award and an Emmy for star Bryan Cranston, "Breaking'" second season has garnered even more critical acclaim and commercial success.

The second-season opener of the Sony TV-produced series drew 1.7 million viewers, up 21% from the first-season premiere.

Created by Gilligan, "Breaking" stars Cranston as a high-school chemistry teacher-turned-meth manufacturer after being diagnosed with terminal lung cancer.

Co-starring on the series, exec produced by Gilligan and Mark Johnson, are Aaron Paul, Anna Gunn, RJ Mitte, Dean Norris and Betsy Brandt.

"Breaking" joins fellow AMC drama "Mad Men," which also has been renewed for a third season.
Not surprising, but still good to hear that AMC is bringing the show back for a 3rd season.

daw840

Cornballer said:
Not surprising, but still good to hear that AMC is bringing the show back for a 3rd season.

Awesome news, part of me hopes it doesn't go past 3 though. I think it would end up being ridiculous.

I love this series.

The way it is shot, great use of landscape (NM desert wilderness), great use of color.

The clever observations on suburban life, without being condescending, are well done (the inability of the main couple to communicate, the Ebay handjob from season 1, etc.)

That busride in an empty bus back from the therapist, with a cover of Van Zandt's 'Waitin' around to die' playing, with the desolate cityscapes... That was a great moment (episode 2 season 2 I believe)

The only weak episode was where the dude becomes a superhero and blows up tuko's place with some McGyver-style explosives. That was over the top.

I can't imagine season 2 being better than season 1.

Great news about the pickup, but it also makes me feel a little apprehensive about where the show will go. I agree with daw840 that the third season should be the last. I honestly hope it doesn't go in the direction of Walt's cancer going into remission, simply to drag it out for longer than 3 seasons or something. It really seems like they don't have that more many places to go once all the story threads in this season converge. Then again, i wouldn't put it past the writers to pull something unexpected that changes how i feel.

catfish said:
and that causes cerebal palsy?

I know smoking while pregnant is 'bad' but not exactly sure what it can lead to. But I did get a really good laugh when my flatmate said 'awww that poor baby is going to be born with ruined lungs' :lol

Cerebral Palsy is almost always caused by premature birth, and smoking while pregnant can cause premature birth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom