• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 4 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
Teetris said:
Yes, I understand that. He developed, which is natural in good TV shows. But your post was worded as if he never did it for his family all along, which got me confused as that was part of the original premise.

btw, what happened after he showed his family the money. Skylar refused it right?

Um, it seems Skylar will be accepting his blood money from my interpretation. She's going to start being just as horrible as Walt soon

O5g8Y.jpg

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Amir0x said:
Um, it seems Skylar will be accepting his blood money from my interpretation. She's going to start being just as horrible as Walt soon
She did? My memory is pretty hazy on it all now. Think I'll do a rewatch in the last upcoming week, might have forgotten some important things they'll probably touch upon again

satriales

I don't understand how anyone can find season 3 to be disappointing. First of all it gave us the characters of Saul Goodman, Gus, and Mike. Yeah they'd been in S2 but only for a bit at the end. Then there is Hank's character who actually becomes fleshed out and in many ways develops into the hero of the show. I also like how they change things up right at the start by revealing Walt's secret to Skylar and ultimately getting her involved in his business.

The twins may not be the most realistic thing ever but they were bloody cool, and made for scenes which were more tense than anything I've ever seen on TV or in film before. All season the cinematography was just out of this world, and those last two episodes are up there with One Minute for the best episode of the whole show.

Saty

Walter has no motivations. The only thread that connects all his actions and decisions is the series' creator shtick of pushing the character of Walter further down and see how disagreeable he can make him before the audience starts hating on Walter. Walter is a caricature, he will make the most senseless and unwarranted choice with every decision he makes.

I guess fans don't want to accept that Walter is an awful person and thats why we have people who hate Skylar just because she refuses to reconcile with him seeing that he has dragged her family into the business of illegal drugs and has put her and her children in immediate danger.
Some will stick with Walter no matter what he does, it seems - and he has done alot of crap.

I find the purposed motivation of liking the power as ridiculous. He likes the rush of being this wannabe drug-lord that he continues to danger himself and his family? come on. Why does he always dig himself deeper and makes undesirable, uncalled for decisions?

The first season was handled the best. The best example showing the 'gimmicky' underlining of the character is that in the first season Walter was debating and struggling in deciding wether to kill some guy or not. In the second season, Walter and the writing team don't bother: Walter sends Jesse to murder 2 junkies just because they stole a small portion of the drug in order to increase their 'street cred.' and some nonsense like that.

satriales said:
All season the cinematography was just out of this world, and those last two episodes are up there with One Minute for the best episode of the whole show.

i dunno, one minute is pretty silly upon rewatch

admittedly watching it live was tense and all so i guess it was effective on that level, but

the one twin just stands there while hank backs the car into him? really.. hes not gonna move? and then the other twin goes back to his car for his axe while hank conveniently loads his gun in time

they were kind of pushovers for being dragged out as these ultimate badasses for half the season

one thing i did like was their theme music that had that kind of creepy lawnmower sound

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
The real question is: Will BB Season 4 match the quality of Mad Men Season 4? I may even forgive AMC for The Killing if the answer is yes.

Spire said:
The real question is: Will BB Season 4 match the quality of Mad Men Season 4? I may even forgive AMC for The Killing if the answer is yes.
I expect it to. Unless they changed writing staff and I was unaware.

big ander

Saty said:
Walter has no motivations. The only thread that connects all his actions and decisions is the series' creator shtick of pushing the character of Walter further down and see how disagreeable he can make him before the audience starts hating on Walter. Walter is a caricature, he will make the most senseless and unwarranted choice with every decision he makes.

I guess fans don't want to accept that Walter is an awful person and thats why we have people who hate Skylar just because she refuses to reconcile with him seeing that he has dragged her family into the business of illegal drugs and has put her and her children in immediate danger.
Some will stick with Walter no matter what he does, it seems - and he has done alot of crap.

I find the purposed motivation of liking the power as ridiculous. He likes the rush of being this wannabe drug-lord that he continues to danger himself and his family? come on. Why does he always dig himself deeper and makes undesirable, uncalled for decisions?

The first season was handled the best. The best example showing the 'gimmicky' underlining of the character is that in the first season Walter was debating and struggling in deciding wether to kill some guy or not. In the second season, Walter and the writing team don't bother: Walter sends Jesse to murder 2 junkies just because they stole a small portion of the drug in order to increase their 'street cred.' and some nonsense like that.
Hmm. I'm not getting this. I feel like your question is "why is he addicted to power if that addiction is hurting him and the others around him? That's dumb of him." That's the point.

Saty

It's not really a question because the answer is known: Walter does what he does as part of Gilligan experiment to make Walter more despisable 'til fans turn on him. Viewers are trying to explain this with his 'power addiction' but to me it's a threadbare attempt.

Why does Walter hand Jesse a gun and sends him to murder 2 people when there are better option to get the desired effect, why does he let Jesse's girlfriend die (some lame excuse about her wasting Jesse's money or her convincing Jesse to leave town)? Why does he do anything that he does? It has nothing to do with his so-called addiction, they are just throwing him to extremities.
If anything, i would have described Walter as having a death-wish, with him being so mad and displeased after he got the news that his cancer is in remission.

This show is basically Walter and the writing team going out of their way to make Walter an increasing awful person, and in the process they are steamrolling good writing and common sense. Walter would have various options and paths of actions and he will alaways pick the one that will hurt the character the most in the viewers' eyes.

JeTmAn81

Count me in with the Skylar defenders. She's an annoying bint but she's right in almost everything she does. The average viewer just wants Walt to get away with his bad-boy antics while Skylar is the one to bring everything back to reality.

Amir0x

Banned
Saty said:

Because he's not a GOOD drug lord. He's learning. But yes, it's power. Just like in real life, money and power are the ultimate motivators for anything - including putting your family at risk. The show has gone to great lengths to show how Walt has gone from a promising chemist to a washed up school teacher who is unhappy with everything in his life and who only has his pride to keep him from going completely under. It is this pride that drives him initially; it is the feeling of being in control that ultimately keeps him there.

Thoraxes

I think the fact that I hate Skyler so much when she comes on screen means that she's played very well.

The character is done so god damn well, it's ridiculous.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Walter's motivation is summed up for me by his line in the pilot: "I am... awake." I really don't think he would return to the malaise of his past life even if he could, at this point. He was not happy, he was stuck in a rut and didn't have the will to pull himself out of it. His cancer was really just the motivation to make the change in his life that he wanted to make anyway. Now if he had worked up the willpower to do it by himself he probably wouldn't have gone down the druglord route but the urgency of his situation didn't leave him very many choices. Now that he's finally feeling alive again, he's not going back.

LM4sure

Banned
Season 3 was ruined by that fly episode. So that makes it the worst season. Hopefully there are no "fly episodes" in season 4.

I'm so excited for this.

As long as Gilligan doesn't pull any more shit like the twist ending to Season 2, I'll continue to love this show.

And for the most part, I've already forgiven him for the Season 2 ending. Season 3 was so good that I'm now willing to pretend like it never happened.

BertramCooper said:
I'm so excited for this.

As long as Gilligan doesn't pull any more shit like the twist ending to Season 2, I'll continue to love this show.

And for the most part, I've already forgiven him for the Season 2 ending. Season 3 was so good that I'm now willing to pretend like it never happened.
I didn't even think that was bad. I've enjoyed every season exponentially more than the one before, overall.

ezekial45

Banned
LM4sure said:
Season 3 was ruined by that fly episode. So that makes it the worst season. Hopefully there are no "fly episodes" in season 4.

I guess i can understand why people hated it, but i personally just adored that episode. I'm not one for bottle episodes, but i felt did a great job with not only revealing the ties with Jane's father and Walt, but also getting a great close moment with Walt, talking about how him dieing when he was diagnosed would've be "perfect". Not to mention, Rian Johnson did a great job with the direction. The cinematography was just stellar.

-Pyromaniac- said:
I didn't even think that was bad. I've enjoyed every season exponentially more than the one before, overall.
It wasn't show-killing bad. But I thought it was cheap and inelegant for a show of this caliber.

It was a pretty contrived way to hammer down the already-well-established point that Walt's actions have consequences.

But again, it's water under the bridge. Season 3 was thankfully free of such shenanigans, so I'm hoping Season 4 continues the trend.

LM4sure said:
There will obviously be another type of episode like that for budget reasons, but it probably wont play out the same way. I enjoyed it though, great character episode.

I didn't mind Fly.

It reminded me a lot of The Suitcase episode of Mad Men, though not nearly as good.

Thematically, they're very similar episodes.

BertramCooper said:
I didn't mind Fly.

It reminded me a lot of The Suitcase episode of Mad Men, though not nearly as good.

Thematically, they're very similar episodes.
I agree, The Suitcase was perfect for that show, great change of pace. Fly was kind of a super random halt but still interesting.

LM4sure said:
I liked that episode, I enjoyed Jesse and Walt just hanging around goofing off. I was nervous as hell when Walt was about to tell Jesse about what happened to Jane at the end.

upJTboogie said:
I liked that episode, I enjoyed Jesse and Walt just hanging around goofing off. I was nervous as hell when Walt was about to tell Jesse about what happened to Jane at the end.

walt talking about his perfect moment to die was pretty heartbreaking

i just rewatched it

Walt: I should never have left home – never gone to your house. Maybe things would have... Oh, god I was, I was at home watching TV. It was some, some nature program about elephants. Skylar and Holly were in the other room. I could hear them on the baby monitor. She was singing a lullaby. Ah, if I had just lived right up to that moment, and not one second more, that would have been perfect.

LM4sure

Banned
ezekial45 said:
I guess i can understand why people hated it, but i personally just adored that episode. I'm not one for bottle episodes, but i felt did a great job with not only revealing the ties with Jane's father and Walt, but also getting a great close moment with Walt, talking about how him dieing when he was diagnosed would've be "perfect". Not to mention, Rian Johnson did a great job with the direction. The cinematography was just stellar.

All I remember from that episode was the silliness of Walt trying to kill the fly. It dragged on and on and it felt like a fucking Bugs Bunny cartoon. Too damn silly. I enjoy the humor in Breaking Bad, but that episode was just brutally cheesy.

Good job with the thread. Can't wait for the new season. If it keeps getting better I see this becoming my new fav show of all time.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
brianjones said:
walt talking about his perfect moment to die was pretty heartbreaking

i just rewatched it
And in the bumper before the credits it shows a fly in his living room at that exact moment. His life was already infested. Shit is deep

BigAT

I always think people that are talking shit about Fly are being over-the-top sarcastic because of how absolutely foolish it reads.

Then I realize that they are serious and I just shake my head...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom