• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 4 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
I love this show, but to me it's in an awkward position through no fault of its own.

On the one hand, if they turn up the intensity with violence, they run the risk of traveling roads that other shows about organized crime and whatnot have traveled.

On the other hand, with the gamut of angles this show has run with its fine actors and their character development, from the drug-dealing to the pushing Jesse and Walt further and further over the "edge", they run the risk of retreading previous ground.

And then of course there's the third thing. Just it being a fourth season has this effect on the viewer so that they expect the writers to "top" themselves, so any completely dialogue-driven episode is gonna get panned by some of the fans as boring.

It's a heavy burden that the creators of this show carry. It teeters between greatness and "another such show".

Zeliard

tokkun said:
"Marie...get out"

The guy is paralyzed. I'm going to cut him some slack. He was previously shown to be a highly active and forward character and now has to have someone help him shit in a bucket. That's a pretty big change in a person's life; can't really expect them to be chipper or optimistic. Hank is obviously not doing well at all and I don't agree that his pushing Marie away should be seen as some sign that he's a horrible person, given the circumstances.

Hj3ps.jpg

HlJj5.jpg

hpX8f.png

qdNA7.png

big ander

Speevy said:
I love this show, but to me it's in an awkward position through no fault of its own.

On the one hand, if they turn up the intensity with violence, they run the risk of traveling roads that other shows about organized crime and whatnot have traveled.

On the other hand, with the gamut of angles this show has run with its fine actors and their character development, from the drug-dealing to the pushing Jesse and Walt further and further over the "edge", they run the risk of retreading previous ground.

And then of course there's the third thing. Just it being a fourth season has this effect on the viewer so that they expect the writers to "top" themselves, so any completely dialogue-driven episode is gonna get panned by some of the fans as boring.

It's a heavy burden that the creators of this show carry. It teeters between greatness and "another such show".
Turning up the violence doesn't necessarily mean it'll become just another show; the level of violence is hardly what defines a show

Hank's story used to be about a DEA agent hunting his brother in law without knowing it... Now his story just took a huge leap back with him paralyzed in bed... He better get his ass in a wheelchair and hunt Heisenberg down soon.

JoJoShabadoo said:
Hank's story used to be about a DEA agent hunting his brother in law without knowing it... Now his story just took a huge leap back with him paralyzed in bed... He better get his ass in a wheelchair and hunt Heisenberg down soon.

The writers are doing a good job with the realities of almost being gunned down and the attempts of recovering from such an event. Problem is it doesn't make for compelling television, no matter how good the acting.

I'm sure the crystals will somehow become the gateway back into the hunt. It'll just take a while, sadly.

upJTboogie said:
Bcfuv.gif

He agreed to the bet.

here's the thing. Even though he lost the bet, he shouldn't have that sourpuss face.

My theory is once she got him hard, she just stopped cold having become victorious, leaving him with a massive set of blue balls as he's being wheeled out. Isn't that what you'd look like if your were paralyzed and then blue-balled as you're being wheeled out of a hospital?

And Hank has not forgotten. He will never forget. DIE MARIE DIE!

kehs

Banned
ConradCervantes said:
The writers are doing a good job with the realities of almost being gunned down and the attempts of recovering from such an event. Problem is it doesn't make for compelling television, no matter how good the acting.

I'm sure the crystals will somehow become the gateway back into the hunt. It'll just take a while, sadly.

Not compelling?

I love the shit out of those scenes, they're so uncomfortable and heart wrenching.

big_z

brianjones said:
fuck skyler.. trying to take away this guys business that he spent his whole life on

she fucked over walter more by trying to buy it on her own. now the guy will never sell it. she should of let saul do the work.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Just saw the episode, pretty average for this show but I still enjoyed it. Skyler continues to be an unbelievable bitch. Now I'm hoping things warm up next week, it still feels just like an epilogue to Season 3

big_z said:
she fucked over walter more by trying to buy it on her own. now the guy will never sell it. she should of let saul do the work.

i was joking but that's actually a good point.

the guy will of course sell though.. he could probably retire

i don't really see why skyler needs to be involved anyway. just seems like unnecessary risk. although i guess it's just running a carwash so i dunno

big_z

brianjones said:
i was joking but that's actually a good point.

the guy will of course sell though.. he could probably retire

i don't really see why skyler needs to be involved anyway. just seems like unnecessary risk. although i guess it's just running a carwash so i dunno

imo skyler is just a bitch that likes to have some control over everything.
if he sells it'll be for some stupid inflated price thanks to skyler. i cant remember last season when they were talking about the car wash but did they agree that she would run it?

-htownplaya- said:
Oh and I hope we never see Andrea (Epyck) again, that stuff just sucks.

hopefully that was scene was done to write her out of the show. she is awful, a huge step down from jane and just boring all around.

big_z said:
imo skyler is just a bitch that likes to have some control over everything.
if he sells it'll be for some stupid inflated price thanks to skyler. i cant remember last season when they were talking about the car wash but did they agree that she would run it?

i thought that was the idea when she wanted to be more involved

she would keep the books or whatever like she did with Ted's business.

I think Hank was saving face when the physical therapist was there, he seemed alot like himself before being shot. Also, who else thinks we are going to see Jesse do something incredibly stupid in the near future? Dude's not lookin too good.

brianjones said:
they are probably getting on each other's nerves considering the situation

dont really consider it abusive

also why marie wanted that guy to stay

She's sick of being around Hank. She wants to be around a positive, normal person. And she might want to bang that guy.

JMizzlin

I found myself struggling to pay attention to the latest episode..

This is the only series I'm viewing as it airs, and I'm finding it SUPER difficult to continue waiting week after week. I'm thinking wait til all episodes have been released and marathon them like I did the past 3 seasons.

Anyone in the same don't-want-to-wait boat?

AmmuNation

Neo Member
"I don't want to wait"? Good luck waiting 10 weeks and avoiding spoilers then.

I've never followed Breaking Bad as it aired and also watched all episodes whenever I wanted, but I also kinda like this so I can think about the previous episodes and the ones to come more. Also it means more and longer Breaking Bad :p

dave is ok

aztek is ok
The worst part about watching week to week is having all the idiots go 'Nothing happened' after every episode. It's a very deliberately paced show, it takes a moment to catch its breath before shit starts going nuts again - and the people who watch DVDs seem to forget that.

Last year was unbearable throughout No Mas, Caballo Sin Nombre, I.F.T., Green Light and Mas.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Kastrioti said:
Anyone know when Episode 2 will be on AMC? Thought it would be online already...

Amazon has them available on Mondays at around 7AM. iTunes does too. $1.99 / $2.99 SD/HD and of course you get a discount if you commit to the entire season. Video quality is great, no commercials and I suppose they are uncensored too but don't know that for sure.

dave is ok said:
The worst part about watching week to week is having all the idiots go 'Nothing happened' after every episode. It's a very deliberately paced show, it takes a moment to catch its breath before shit starts going nuts again - and the people who watch DVDs seem to forget that.

Last year was unbearable throughout No Mas, Caballo Sin Nombre, I.F.T., Green Light and Mas.

Nah, the worst thing is watching humankind devolve into protozoa as male poster after male poster races to call Skyler a bitch.

Every. Fucking. Week.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
BenjaminBirdie said:
Nah, the worst thing is watching humankind devolve into protozoa as male poster after male poster races to call Skyler a bitch.

Every. Fucking. Week.
Skylar was such a bitch looking out for Walt when he went brain dead about everything else in his life while he was ordering other people to get killed/planning to kill them himself.

Andrew.

Banned
Why is it that every episdode is one hour long but the content of each is so small...like do you really need an entrie episode to show that jesse is scared of being alone...or that walt wants to kill his boss. I just think there is so much wasted time on such a small number of plot subjects. I hope im not the only one with this opinion.

Aconn1283 said:
Why is it that every episdode is one hour long but the content of each is so small...like do you really need an entrie episode to show that jesse is scared of being alone...or that walt wants to kill his boss. I just think there is so much wasted time on such a small number of plot subjects. I hope im not the only one with this opinion.

I hope you are. That attention to emotional detail is what makes it incredible.

Aconn1283 said:
You should never watch anything made by David Simon.

BigAT

Aconn1283 said:
I know, right? Can I get a fucking explosion or two already?

Who cares about deep, insightful, intensely interesting character exploration and development?

I haven't read this post too much, but I think Hank is either working a lead with the minerals or will happen to stumble across some of Walt's meth through buying these rocks(minerals.)

Would probably get the fire in the ass again and something to live for so to speak if somehow one of his auctions was a way to get Walt's Meth distributed around the US.

I think Hank will get a huge morality boost once he hears about Gale and his notebook. Or if the DEA thinks Gale is Heisenberg and closes the case Hank just gives up.

Vlad

dave is ok said:

Oh my goodness, yes.

What I don't get is that the show has ALWAYS been like this, so you'd think people would be used to it by now. Unlike most shows that tend to be a slow buildup to a very eventful last two episodes, Breaking Bad tends to go with a more cyclical approach. We get a few eventful episodes, then a few episodes for the characters to react, then something big happens again, etc.

Basically, it's kicking over the anthill and watching all the poor ants scurrying around trying to rebuild.

Do we need to spend an episode watching Hank being bitter and Marie trying to deal with it, Walt scrambling around attempting to scheme, Jesse in his downward spiral of misery, Skyler trying to dip her feet into criminal activity, and Mike doing whatever it is he's doing?

Yes!

Without episodes like this, the future episodes wouldn't have anywhere near the weight they did.

To anybody who thinks these episodes are unnecessary, think back to the first season. After the first three episodes, where Walt gets diagnosed, meets up with Jesse, starts cooking meth, and kills two people, the show takes a major downshift with the episodes Cancer Man and Grey Matter. Back when they first aired, forums discussing the show were FILLED with people complaining that the show didn't have them cooking meth and getting into trouble, but without those episodes, we never would have had the insight into Walt and Jesse that made their actions in Crazy Handful of Nothing so believable. Without knowing about Walt's pride and his history of bowing to the demands of others, his actions at Tuco's place wouldn't have had nearly the weight they did.

Thankfully, the number of people complaining about the "nothing happens" episodes compared to the ones who appreciate them seems to have dropped significantly over the last two seasons.

Also, just to mention something I was thinking of in regards to this week's episode. I was thinking about Mike's reaction to Walt's proposal at the end of the ep. He's obviously bothered by Gus' murder of Victor, but I was wondering why he was so vicious towards Walt instead of just verbally shooting him down. It occurred to me that there's still the Cartel to consider. We know that Gus pretty much rebelled against them, and we also know that they're trying to see about revenge, with the whole mess at the chemical warehouse in Full Measure. So, Mike knows that him and everybody involved with Gus is trapped between Gus and the Cartel at this point. While he might not be as happy with Gus as he once was, he knows that if Gus is removed from the picture then the Cartel will be able to reclaim their territory, putting Gus' employees at HUGE risk.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Vlad said:
Also, just to mention something I was thinking of in regards to this week's episode. I was thinking about Mike's reaction to Walt's proposal at the end of the ep. He's obviously bothered by Gus' murder of Victor, but I was wondering why he was so vicious towards Walt instead of just verbally shooting him down. It occurred to me that there's still the Cartel to consider. We know that Gus pretty much rebelled against them, and we also know that they're trying to see about revenge, with the whole mess at the chemical warehouse in Full Measure. So, Mike knows that him and everybody involved with Gus is trapped between Gus and the Cartel at this point. While he might not be as happy with Gus as he once was, he knows that if Gus is removed from the picture then the Cartel will be able to reclaim their territory, putting Gus' employees at HUGE risk.
I think Mike agrees with Walt that Gus is losing his shit. Taking out Bolsa, killing Victor, sending the cousins after Hank, etc.

But I also think the Mike/Gus relationship goes much deeper than we know and Mike is still very loyal to him.

ConradCervantes said:

Well this is Breaking Bad and it's not meant to be action packed. It's about the characters. Hank has always been that loud mouthed arrogant jerk, but, that was all a facade. Deep down he's weak and he knows it. Shooting Tuco, the turtle bomb, and the shooting have caused him to snap.

he's broken physically and mentally.

Flash

Foliorum Viridum said:
I marathoned 1-3 and never read GAF threads as they aired and I'm bailing out of this thread. Way too picky/negative/stupid analysis of each episode :\

This is how I feel. The show hasn't changed much, its always gone at this pace. Only difference is you have to wait a week to watch an episode rather then marathoning it all.

I liked this bit from MZS's review:
Matt Zoller Seitz on Salon.com said:
"Breaking Bad" has always had a knack for satirizing American consumerism in shots rather than with dialogue, and this episode was packed with such images; my favorite is that wide shot of Jesse's living room -- Jesse and his buddies standing in front of the stereo like the "2001" apes worshiping the monolith, the vacuum cleaner zipping along the floor.

IDYab.gif

xtCNv.jpg

kehs

Banned
Aconn1283 said:

I felt the urge to make another list of about everything that "didn't happen" but it's better if you just stop watching this show.

Can someone tell me why Walter is so in over his head going to Gus' right hand man saying "Let's murder Gus!" after his life was spared? I mean, the best thing he can do right now is just work and not have his name ring out.

Trent Strong said:
She's sick of being around Hank. She wants to be around a positive, normal person. And she might want to bang that guy.
I got the completely opposite feeling.

Hank was working his ass off, even while getting yelled at and coached on moving to his bedroom. He clearly developed a comraderie with his trainer/therapist and Marie notices that.

Nothing else in those scenes showed any type of attraction by Marie. She's just desperate to see a somewhat positive side of her husband.

kehs

Banned
JoJoShabadoo said:
Can someone tell me why Walter is so in over his head going to Gus' right hand man saying "Let's murder Gus!" after his life was spared? I mean, the best thing he can do right now is just work and not have his name ring out.

Gumption.

Clipjoint

I liked seeing the futility of Jesse's attempts to drown out his own thoughts with music, drugs, and partying. His acting in the episode was some of the best work he's done yet. The look of panic on his face when his friends finally leave, leading into his emotional breakdown in front of a blaring speaker, was really amazing to see.

He's doing whatever he can to avoid thinking about his own actions, and his biggest fear at the moment - more than his fear for his life - is being alone with his thoughts.

Darklord

Banned
I don't like how Hank is turning into an asshole. You watch season 1 and he's really happy. I know it's meant to be a cause and effect kind of thing but I hope they redeem him sometime.

Darklord said:
I don't like how Hank is turning into an asshole. You watch season 1 and he's really happy. I know it's meant to be a cause and effect kind of thing but I hope they redeem him sometime.
Hank was always kind of an asshole though with the casual racism and questionable morals.

JoJoShabadoo said:
Tim Goodman's thoughts from his THR review:
Tim Goodman said:
Isn't it amazing when everyone around him -- particularly Jesse -- seems beaten down by life or the turn of events that took place in "Box Cutter," Walt is still unaware, just shy of blissfully so, of all the danger afoot and angst that abounds? Despite all of his changes since Season 1, there's still a very naive -- dangerously naive -- part of Walt that allows him to think he's a badass now. That ever since he broke bad, no matter how scary and awful things got, he could take care of himself. Here are three examples from this last episode:

1. Only Walt appears to miss the fact that the .38 special, the "Thirty-Eight Snub" of the title, is something that can get him killed instantly. Him buying it is absurd. He's going to try to kill Gus? What level of clulessness must one man attain to get to that point? And as much as he practices -- perhaps he looked fast and rushing long the learning curve to you -- it's unlikely he'll ever get it unholstered.

2. When Walt talks to Mike in the bar, it's like a teenager talking to a con about plans for a big score. The gap between what Walt thinks he can do and what Mike can actually do is immense. The only thing larger? The gulf between what Walt thinks he can do and what Mike knows Walt can't do. So when Mike smacks him -- and it looked like he held back a lot -- Walt curled into a ball like a frightened boy. Like some bully just knocked his glasses off without really trying.

3. When Walt showed up, with the gun, at Gus' house, he exhales a moment to put his badass face on and then slowly puts on the Heisenberg hat and runs his finger along the brim. See, Walt's playing at this tough guy thing. And when he walks toward Gus's house, he gets the call from Mike. Go home, Walter. This is how you speak to a child when their plans seem so ridiculously ill-fated that an adult needs to step in before it ends in tears.

Much has been written about creator Vince Gilligan's go-to phrase describing his intent with Walt -- to turn Mr. Chips into Scarface. And there are so many examples of how this is happening -- from running over rival thugs to avoiding saving Jane's life, etc. I have no doubt that Walt will get there. He's broken bad. He's embraced some dark elements. But I'm not sure that Gilligan will present us with a wholly transformed Walter White. By that I mean, you can break bad but it's not like you can master it. I doubt we'll ever see Walt string together a bunch of those blow-up-Tuco's-clubhouse type moments.

A man like Walt has to be pushed to those extremes. His are always reactions. Any time he tries to think of something on his own, like purchasing and concealing a weapon to kill someone as ruthless as Gus, or to walk toward Gus's house without thinking that Mike will be guarding it, Walt stumbles and looks both pathetic and way out of the arena in which be believes he resides.

Regarding the "who called Walt as he's walking up to Gus' house" controversy, here's the definitive answer from Gilligan via Sepinwall:
UPDATE: There's been so much debate in the comments about who called Walt - Gus or Mike - that I went and asked Vince Gilligan. I don't view his answer as any kind of spoiler (as it's info from an episode that's already aired), but in case you do, don't read the next short paragraph:

So as it turns out, it wasn't Mike. And it wasn't Gus. It was, instead, the new third man in the operation, Tyrus (played by Ray Campbell), whom we saw earlier weighing the batch. And that explains why no one could agree on whether it was Esposito's voice or Banks's voice, I suppose.

Sepinwall got confirmation from Vince Gilligan on who made the phone call.

Sepinwall said:
UPDATE: There's been so much debate in the comments about who called Walt - Gus or Mike - that I went and asked Vince Gilligan. I don't view his answer as any kind of spoiler (as it's info from an episode that's already aired), but in case you do, don't read the next short paragraph:

So as it turns out, it wasn't Mike. And it wasn't Gus. It was, instead, the new third man in the operation, Tyrus (played by Ray Campbell), whom we saw earlier weighing the batch. And that explains why no one could agree on whether it was Esposito's voice or Banks's voice, I suppose.

Dang, beaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom